Thread: Brisbanites!

Default Brisbanites!

Hi guys,

I'm from Brisbane originally - lived in Aus till I was 18, then married my english penpal and moved to the UK, and now I've been here for 5 1/2 years. Anyway, sick of the cold, and we are planning to emigrate to live in Aus. We are planning to come back to Brisbane, so I just wanted to say a hello on here and hope that any of you from the area will say hello back! We are looking to rent in the city or inner north initially, then buy somewhere, probably mid north but with the low prices for large places out cabolture way might end up there.

So how is life in Bris for Vegans?

Default Re: Brisbanites!

Hi Jamie. I'm an ex-Brissy girl too

I've been living in Canada with my Canadian partner, since 2002. We were lucky enough to be able to visit Australia last year, and spent a few days in Brisbane with my parents. It was beautiful! You're very lucky to be moving back there

Geoff

VVSQ has a website with lots of info: http://www.vegsoc.org.au/
    And there's the vegan meetup: http://vegan.meetup.com/36/events/4833039/

I live south of the river and have no knowledge of or interest in, the northside.

Quote Geoff
    I live south of the river and have no knowledge of or interest in, the northside.
    oooh, play nice please!! I don't understand why there is such a big cliquey thing of south vs north - I haven't seen anything like it anywhere else I've lived!

Geoff

Well get used to it Kid!

why?! why can't we all beeee friiieeeeennnndddssss???! mate. Especially since we are all such fabulous vegan types. we are brisbane's most rockingest citizens. power to the vegans! wooo! (ok I just drank too much V in my lunch break, you'll have to excuse me, a bit overexcited...!!).

I have nothing against the south - I don't really know it though. My family have always lived in the North. I want to buy a house there just so we won't be far from the babysitters. Er, I mean my parents!!

Geoff

Quote Jamie
    I have nothing against the south - I don't really know it though. My family have always lived in the North.
    And this is from someone who doesn't believe we should have a north / south divide!

Geoff is just suffering post traumatic stress from being around in the Bjelke-Peterson era.

Brisbane is a great place as is all of QLD. Every time I visit Brisbane it seems as if there is another vegan restaurant. When I was there last month I found this great big health food shop in east brisbane, I canne remember it's name.

antony

Geoff

Mrs Flannery's at the Gabba.
    Yes, I was here for part of Joh's reign, which is probably why I have no hair!

Yeah good on you Mrs Flannery's I was impressed. That's where I bought all my food to take to Moreton. I stayed at Tangalooma resort and they don't even understand vegetarian never mind vegan. And the weather was fantastic.

Antony Flannery

Geoff

I'll tell you a good story about Tangalooma sometime.

come on then

what's the story

if you're in the mood

Quote Geoff
    And this is from someone who doesn't believe we should have a north / south divide!
    I don't get it?? I only meant geographically!

Geoff

Quote abrennan
    come on then

what's the story

if you're in the mood
    Get your gear off, find an appropriate spot, and I'll tell you - later.

(It's my bedtime - I'm an early riser )

don't worry he doesn't evan mean anything you can tell by all those emoticons crowding around after him

Quote abrennan
    Every time I visit Brisbane it seems as if there is another vegan restaurant. When I was there last month I found this great big health food shop in east brisbane, I canne remember it's name.
    antony
    really! last time I was in Bris, I found one vegetarian restaurant (it think it was Squirrels, or Nuts, or something...!). And the salad bar at Sizzlers. But I was only veggie then - not tired it as a vegan yet. Please fill me in on what delights await!

And are we going to have a potluck party for my arrival?!!! It can be a housewarming, once we find somewhere to live...!

Geoff

Jamie looks cute, doesn't she fellas?

Quote Jamie
    once we find somewhere to live...!
    that's me and my hubby, I mean, not all of us vegans together. Although that's an idea.... The Vegan Castle!

Quote Geoff
    Jamie looks cute, doesn't she fellas?
    LOL... you can't say that based on such a small picture!

Quote Jamie
    really! last time I was in Bris, I found one vegetarian restaurant (it think it was Squirrels, or Nuts, or something...!). And the salad bar at Sizzlers. But I was only veggie then - not tired it as a vegan yet. Please fill me in on what delights await!

And are we going to have a potluck party for my arrival?!!! It can be a housewarming, once we find somewhere to live...!
    There's the forest cafe in the west end on Boundary Street

There's Pu Kwong Logan Road at Underwood (asian vegan)

The Sun Ho on abbott st in camp hill

Vegetarian House in mains rd at sunnybank

And here's me I live in Sydney. Mebbe when Geoff wakes up he might know of more of em

antony

well done antony! geoff man wake up...

are there plenty of places to get special food items from, like tofu (ok silly question), nutritional yeast, tvp, etc?

Geoff

It's all at www.vegsoc.org.au

Yeah have a look at that link. You can get many things in supermarkets, the usually have a variety of tofu, even TVP. There are a few health food stores where you can get nutritional yeast and other ingredients like that.

Things have come a long way in the last five years in most Australian cities

Just an update - we got our visa! We are planning to get to Bris in mid Jan, via Singapore. I'm hoping we will book our flights within a week now, hopefully after we (hopefully!) hear back from some leads on accomodation.

So start planning my party guys

Congratulations! Great News!! I am planning to be there and visit my family next October/November

Roxy, do I recall your saying that your family live at Gympie? That town is only about an hour's drive from where I live - is it possible we could meet while you're down there?
    Eve

Hi Eve

My brother's fiancee's family are from Gympie and her Dad still lives there. My parents travel through Gympie a couple of times a year, as there is a Macadamia Farm there, where they get their Macadamia Oil from.

I would love to meet you Eve, so we will have to try and arrange a get together. Are you near to Maleny or the Glasshouse Mountains or are you more in a northerly direction?

Hi Roxy, I live at Maryborough, and would very much love to meet you, having always enjoyed your postings. I will send you a PM of my phone number.
    Eve

Excellent! But I won't be there until October/November 2007. Therefore you will have lots of time to figure out how to find me the best mangoes!!

Looking at this thread reminded me.....is it true that Squirrels has gone out of business? We are coming up to Qld this xmas to stay with family (and more importantly to go to Woodford folk festival!) - and we usually try to make it to Squirrels at least once when we're in Qld. So if there's no Squirrels - where else to go for an evening meal in Brisbane? Can anyone offer some recommendations?

Bronny

bronny, Squirrels has changed hands a few times since I first went there and was unimpressed. I'll check out the Vegies/vegan society website, to see if they mention restaurants.
    Eve

Back again, just checked the V/V website, and find that they list 16 vegan restaurants (take your own pinch of salt with that), but here's the url:
    http://www.vegsoc.org.au/restaurants...getarian=False
    Eve

Thanks for that Eve - yes Squirrels certainly went downhill in those last few years. Shame - I have all their cookbooks and use them all the time.
    Bronny