Thread: Newbie - PZ Cussons

leocat

Default Newbie - PZ Cussons

Hi Everyone,

I am new here and over the last few months I have really taken a look at the thngs I eat and the stuff I use. As a hugh animal lover I have become quite disgusted with how we abuse them. And I have become disgusted with myself that I have taken part in this by eating meat and slapping on cleanser , moisteriser etc on my face that some poor animal has suffered for just out of vanity.

So I am doing something about it, I have stopped eating meat and although I still eat cheese and milk I would like to stop this too. I also feel very strongly about using products not tested on animals. I have been doing alot of reasearch but to be honest it is very confusing.

I recently e.mailed the compay PZ Cussons who make Original Source, Imperial Lether, and Carex . I asked them if they tested their finsished product and also the individual ingrediants on animals. I got a reply back from them saying this.

" We can confirm that our products and our ingrediants are not tested on animal".

Thats all they said. So how I do I knwo this is true. Does any one knw if they do or not. Like I said I find it all very cinfusing. I have a book from NAVS and they list products not tested on animals and I also have one from PETA, but I find that one place says something isn't tested then another place says something is.

Who shoudl I belive?

Any help would be great

xx

Default Re: Newbie - PZ Cussons

Hello there and welcome

It is very confusing, and sometimes you don't know who to trust. Original Source actually carries the Vegan Society trademark, so that is definately free of all animal testing. It is now illegal in the UK to test the finished product on animals, so you are safe there too. Indeed, some companies still test individual ingredients on animals and that is where the problem is.

Personally, I would stick to original source, or look at some of the fantastic completely Vegan brands out there. Yaoh do some wonderful cosmetics, as do Tisserand. They are more expensive, but far more natural than chemical cosmetices, and they are sure to be free from all testing.

Cheers, Glen x

Also, you may want to get a copy of the Vegan Society's 'Animal Free Shopper'. That lists cosmetics too

Stu

What he said.

Hi Leocat and welcome to the Vegan Forum. I hope you find us to be a nice, supportive group, as you make your transition into veganism

Stu

What she said.

Welcome Leocat. Ingredients can be a tricky thing but you'll get the hang of it after awhile.

Looking forward to your posts.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Hello Leocat

Chuck away your packets and eat more fresh food ans pack all your chocolate up in a box and send it to me for safe keeping

have fun

antony

welcome leocat

Blueshark

Hi Leocat -

feel free to pester me if you want some proper advice

Hello Leocat.

I think PZ cussons do test

Quote Vegan cat View Post
    I think PZ cussons do test
    I'm another newbie, hello all! Been a veggie for some 30 years and turned vegan recently. Now if I could only stay away from cheese....

Anyway, I too have been researching cosmetics companies and have downloaded the PDF files from the Uncaged website and also looked at PZ Cussons statement because I too was interested in Original ource and other Cussons products.

Note the website states: "We do not conduct any animal testing or commission others to conduct any animal testing unless required by law"

The last 4 words make all the difference and unfortunately puts them in Category 2 along with Avon and Clarins who end up testing on animals when exporting to countries like China where animal testing is required by law.

Bummer!

Hi

We wrote to the vegan society about the vegan symbol on the original source products in 2009. Here is our email and their reply. I'm not sure I trust their symbol anymore as they don't use a fixed cut off date and they obviously look at each product or range as separate from the company as a whole.

In the Naturewatch compassionate shopping guide, under
    > 'Shower Gels', 'Original Source' is listed as a 'bad' brand,
    > to be avoided, presumably because its parent company is PZ
    > Cussons. However, I have a bottle of their shower gel that
    > has the Vegan Society trademark symbol on it.

They replied
    PZ Cussons have registered their Original Source range 7
    > years ago.
    > Verity sent you the link to our standards for a product to
    > be trademarked.
    >
    > As you will see on our website, our requirements regarding
    > animal testing in order to register a product is that no
    > animal testing must have been conducted for the product
    > registered or its ingredients. at the initiative of the
    > manufacturer or on its behalf, or by parties over whom the
    > manufacturer has effective control.
    > PZ Cussons meet this requirement for their Original Source
    > range.
    >
    > Unlike Naturewatch, we do not apply fixed cut-off dates.