Thread: pasta sauce

boom

Default pasta sauce

does anyone know if pasta sauce is vegan,i was looking at a bottle of garden select country mushroom pasta sauce and it looks like its ok,but just to make sure is it vegan?

Default Re: pasta sauce

well, each pasta sauce is different...some are vegan, some are not...you just have to read the ingredients.
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

Or ask the manufacturers if you're not sure - a lot of companies have freephone numbers (toll free to US folks ) just check the bottle if unsure

mango woman

First thing you're going to want to do is read the ingredients list.
    If you're still unsure about certain ingredients, look them up on the internet.
    If you're still unsure, then try contacting the company.

I've read that the FDA allows a certain amount of bugs contamination for all commercially produced foods.
    The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them: that's the essense of inhumanity. George Bernard Shaw

Some pasta sauces have cheese in them, but other than that I can't think of anything else that would go in them (aside from the meat sauces, haha). If you get the natural pastas, those are typically also suitable for raw vegans. But if you have any questions as whether or not an ingredient is vegan, just ask us here

Commercial pasta sauces are expensive and loaded with yucky additives. Why not...

heat a couple of spoons of olive oil in a saucepan, add a couple of cloves of garlic and saute for a moment or so, watch you don't burn it... Then add a tin of tomatoes, or chopped fresh ones, and cook for 10 or 15 minutes until it thickens. You can add herbs, salt, pepper, whatever. Much nicer, and cheaper

Good idea Fiamma

Quote Chickendude
    Some pasta sauces have cheese in them, but other than that I can't think of anything else that would go in them
    Really? Here they put all sorts of things in pasta sauce, like cream, milk proteins, lactose, lactic acid...

Oh wow! That's disgusting! The sauce I used the other night had probably five ingredients in it: tomatoes, peppers, garlic, salt (maybe?), and onions. It lasts a long time in the refridgerator as well, I don't know why you'd need all that other stuff!

I suppose if all they put in there are things that are blatantly nonvegan, it's easier to spot. That's in the natural sauces? Do they put all sorts of preservatives in them? I never buy anything with preservatives anymore, I guess cause it's all so good that I eat it before it can expire anyway.

Quote Cherry
    Here they put all sorts of things in pasta sauce, like cream, milk proteins, lactose, lactic acid...
    Oh no no no no no *bleurgh*

When I first came to Italy my ex bf taught me how to make pasta sauce as above. And I've never touched that commercial stuff since
    I just found some vegan pesto the other day, tho' as soon as I get some more basil plants for my windowsill I'll be making my own. I loooooove fresh basil

Actually, just chopped up fresh tomatoes chucked over pasta is good too.

Yeh, chickendude, in the plain tomatoey ones. I only eat the ones that have 'vegan' written on them but I'm not a fan of bought sauce, I think it tastes funny. However, they're very handy now and then.

Quote fiamma
    as soon as I get some more basil plants for my windowsill I'll be making my own. I loooooove fresh basil
    Mmmmmm. Me too. My favourite herb. I get through quite a few pots of it Alas, my windowsill is a bit too cold to grow my own.

basilsoup?
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Okay, okay, I'm quite fond of parsley too. And thyme now you come to mention it. Oh, and rosemary of course on potatoes

Basil's still my favourite. Homemade pesto is just gorgeous. And bruschetta with lots of basil. Mmmm.

Quote Cherry
    Alas, my windowsill is a bit too cold to grow my own.
    I'll send ya some Italian sunshine, Cherry! It's on its way to you now. Let me know if you get it

Thanks (Tho not here yet )

Quote Cherry
    Really? Here they put all sorts of things in pasta sauce, like cream, milk proteins, lactose, lactic acid...
    also if the name suggest it come from milk Lactic acid is often vegan

Quote fiamma

heat a couple of spoons of olive oil in a saucepan, add a couple of cloves of garlic and saute for a moment or so, watch you don't burn it... Then add a tin of tomatoes, or chopped fresh ones, and cook for 10 or 15 minutes until it thickens. You can add herbs, salt, pepper, whatever. Much nicer, and cheaper
    That sounds nice. I normally mix a tin of tomatoes with some vegan pesto. I've saved a lot of money from not buying sauces anymore.

A tin of tomatoes also makes a great base for curry sauce along with some vegan curry paste (obviously the fresh herbs and spices are best if you've got time, but I still find this tastes much better than jar sauces).

Another great tip for pasta sauce is if you make soup one night, use the left overs as a pasta sauce for the next.

I quess I'm a little weird but I am not a big fan of pasta sauces. I like to taste the pasta. Just toss pasta with a little olive oil, toss in some fresh herbs or diced jalepeno maybe sprinkle with some vegan parm. and I am a happy camper. I do like the pasta sauce on bread though....like for dunking.

Does anyone know if there's a vegan Alfredo sauce? That was my favorite way to eat pasta!
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

There's several Alfredo sauces listed on VegWeb.com, I've never tried any of them though....

Thanks Jane! I didn't know about those. I am curious about how they taste! Maybe better than other vegan cheeses...
    ~John Wooden

Quote Tray
    also if the name suggest it come from milk Lactic acid is often vegan
    You're right, it's *usually* vegan in the UK, but I'm still not happy about eating it unless it also says it's vegan on the label

I made a vegan fetuccini alfredo once, but it didn't turn out too well. Well, it actually wasn't that bad, but it had a bit of an aftertaste that eventually caught up to me. It could've been the vegan parmesian cheese, though...I don't think it fully dissolved into the alfredo (so the sauce had a slightly grainy texture). I've never made a nonvegan alfredo sauce, so I don't know what goes into that. The recipe I used called for tofu. Maybe mixing a meltable vegan mozzarella cheese or something in place of the parmesian?

VeganJohn

I think some Dolmio pasta sauces in the UK are vegan, you would have to check though. One non-vegan ingredient that sometimes sneaks in is sodium caseinate.

sugarmouse

what is that please veganjohn?

my fave pasta sauce recipe is....(sorry i never measure things)

chop yellow n red peppers,n carrots (and any other veggies u like)
    shallow or dry fry until tender

meanwhile heat up some passata(seived tomatoes) and vegetable stock

add the veggies...whizz in a blender until the consistency you want.season with salt/pepper/herbs..

.i dont like pasta, but i use this over quinoa or as something to dip things in...or add more stock n use as a soup.