Thread: caffeine withdrawal

Unhappy caffeine withdrawal

i stopped drinking caffeine about 10 days - two weeks ago.
    i use to drink one or 2 starbucks a day (i considered it my guilty pleasure.), so needless to say, one cup of starbucks = significantly more caffeine than an average cup of coffee.

i have been lucky in that headaches (much to my surprised) were not much of a problem.
    within the first few days, my skin seemed to clear up a bit and, despite being a bit whiney ( ) i was feeling better.

but then the one-week-point hit, and my system is all out of whack !
    i've been constipated with some recent relief but not much.
    and my skin is no longer clear but has rash-like bumps all over my cheeks
    (i'm not thinking its acne as they're small and i've rarely ever had such problems on my cheeks), along with some blemishes.
    they're tiny--and not that visible (i don't think) but have a rough texture.
    i'm not sure if this is related to the caffeine withdrawl but i was thinking it is perhaps part of the detox process. i'm hoping so.

so if anyone call tell me what they know on the matter / give personal anecdotes it would be fully appreciated.
    i have a lot of anxiety when it comes to my skin !!

Default Re: caffeine withdrawal

Jem,
    I wish I could help with the skin, but I never had that happen. It could be the detox part of it. When I was pregnant and quit caffeine I had severe headaches for a whole month but no other problems.

If it's been a full week could it possibly be caused by something else? Did you change anything besides the caffeine?

Sheila
    "Take the path of least harm"

thanks sheila.

considering how much caffeine i use to consume on a daily basis, and how i quit cold turkey,
    i'm really thinking it is something to do with detoxification.
    it probably would take a week(ish) to start to leave my body...

I used to drink around 12 mugs of coffee a day, and the comedown was pretty bad. I had terrible headaches for a couple of weeks.

Hold in though, it feels great once it's out of your system.

thanks for the encouragement spjessop.

i woke up this morning and the rash on my face seems to be nearly gone (!!)
    but, physically speaking, i'm still feeling pretty weighed down.

someone last night told me they see / feel caffeine withdrawal as prolonged jetlag. haha.

prilly-pie

hey- ive been eating a drinking healthy for about 3 days now (as in no hiccups) and my skin is blotchy and has a little tiny rash like spots on my cheeks too. i think it must be the detoxification because last year it happened and afterwards, i must have got a spot once a month if that.. so i should look forward to having clear, glowing skin after the little "cleaners" as im calling them have disappeared xxx

Hi Jem,

I gave up coffee for 2 weeks earlier this year and can sympathise with you. Headache is normal and lethargy is normal. As for your skin and detoxification I am not so sure. The blemishes may just be a coincidence. I do not know of caffeine being detoxified through the skin - sure it's an organ but not one that detoxes caffeine. On the other hand, your metabolism is accustomed to caffeine and it may take a couple of weeks to readjust - so jetlag sounds about right! (It takes 2 full weeks to readjust when our circadian (sleep) rythms are changed but I don't know of any studies with metabolism and caffeine).

Anyway, good luck with the change.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

I'm trying to do the same thing. I've switched to drinking half decaf and half real caffeine. Hopefully I can wean myself off. I just like the taste of black tea and coffee, actually. Bizzare?
    Peace, love, and happiness.

ladyaprille: congrats on your own detox
    its certainly not easy !!
    my little rash ("cleaners" ) is nearly gone and the texture of my skin is so, so different.
    its making me realize just how much coffee/crap i was consuming !!
    i'm excited to see what my skin looks like in a week ....

diane: before i posted this thread, i tried to do some reseach on skin irritation corresponding with caffeine withdrawl,
    and basically came up with nothing (as you suggest).
    but i was talking to a friend of mine who is going through caffeine withdrawal right now with me (nice to have the support !!) and he got a similar rash on his cheeks too.
    maybe it isn't directly caused by the caffeine detox, but something related.
    afterall, i did mostly drink starbucks (as did he) coffee. and who knows what is actually in that !!
    thank you for your kind words

tigerlily: i don't think that's odd at all. a lovely coffee shop around here makes a chai latte with a shot of espresso. its delish !
    good luck--i hope i haven't discouraged you !!

cobweb

i really need to come off caffeine . I have in the past, don't know why i went back to it

i keep getting headaches and an upset tum - sure its all the tea i drink

must get something to replace it with and some headache remedies ready first............................

BlackCats

Have you tried green tea CW? I think its lower in caffeine than normal tea. White tea has no caffeine at all - there is a nice clipper white tea with strawberry flavour that I sometimes have.
    You could try that as its still a hot drink as you ween yourself off tea.

Last week I went without caffeine for a day, just to see if I could do it. I got a really bad headache around 3PM, and held out with some ibuprofen. The next day I went back though. I think I'm going to go off soda completely first, then coffee, then caffeinated teas. Might be easier that way.

Ending my caffiene dependency is my next step towards good health. It's going to be more difficult than going veg or vegan. I just have to stop drinking coffee every freaking morning. Tomorrow I'm going to only have one coffee in the morning (instead of two) and one caffienated tea in the afternoon. I'll do this for a week, then hopefully I will be able to cut out the morning coffee entirely. I should have done that during the summer though! I start college on Tuesday.

I'll still go to Bad Vuggum for organic hemp coffee occasionally though ^_^.

cobweb

i'm going through this right now - cut down from 12 cups of black tea each day to two, then one, now none. I think it's been about 5 days now. I'm still getting dull, sick headaches and had one migraine, but it's not too horrendous. I've changed onto Rooibos tea.

I've noticed i'm a lot calmer now and hardly 'jumpy' atall .

I did something stupid yesterday - I wanted to savour my last day of too much caffiene, so I had four cups of coffee and four cups of white tea (which does contain caffiene).

I already know that me + an overdose on caffiene = gigantic mood swings. I was feeling fine, then:
    My boyfriend broke up with me, my mom nearly kicked me out of my house (because she thinks I spend too much of her money on vegan food, when really I just like to keep the house full of fresh vegetables), and I spiralled into a deep depression. I cried, (which I haven't done once this year), I couldn't sleep (which never happens) and I got a massive headache (which also never happens). Ironic that I get two people attacking me on the day I'm most vulnerable...
    Bye bye caffiene dependency. I just finished my ONE cup of coffee, and that's it until a cup of tea in the afternoon.

Quote cobweb View Post
    i'm going through this right now - cut down from 12 cups of black tea each day to two, then one, now none. I think it's been about 5 days now. I'm still getting dull, sick headaches and had one migraine, but it's not too horrendous. I've changed onto Rooibos tea.

I've noticed i'm a lot calmer now and hardly 'jumpy' atall .
    Wow. Congratulations! I hope you can keep that up.

cobweb

you are smart if you already worked out that you are moody on caffeine.....took me years to make the connection

after typing my other comment here i had a MASSIVE migraine today, felt like someone was pulling my eyeball backwards through my head with a rusty skewer . Makes me even more determined NOT to drink caffeine again, if it does this to me it must be bad!. I'm feeling quite hopeful about my PMT improving now .

I gave up caffeine 6 weeks ago to see if it would help clear my skin up a bit. I had a coffee at the weekend and a couple of cups of tea the weekend before, but have been good apart from that. Usually I'd be drinking about 6 or more cups of tea per day and a coffee every week or so. I hate to say it, but my skin does seem to be better and I don't feel as jumpy if I haven't had my tea fix.

I meant to give up tea completely so that I could drink lots of water instead, but I've 'compromised' (a.k.a. caved in) and have been drinking caffeine free tea to get me through!

cobweb

well i'm prepared to conceed that this could be a co-incidence, but last night (without thinking) i had a mug of real Cocoa and this morning i awoke in a foul temper and sceeched at my son (who was, incidentally being extremely trying ).

I also had a panic attack as soon as i got up so even if it is a coincidence i will not risk it again - caffeine!

Quote Cup'O'Tea View Post
    I did something stupid yesterday - I wanted to savour my last day of too much caffiene, so I had four cups of coffee and four cups of white tea (which does contain caffiene).

I already know that me + an overdose on caffiene = gigantic mood swings. I was feeling fine, then:
    My boyfriend broke up with me, my mom nearly kicked me out of my house (because she thinks I spend too much of her money on vegan food, when really I just like to keep the house full of fresh vegetables), and I spiralled into a deep depression. I cried, (which I haven't done once this year), I couldn't sleep (which never happens) and I got a massive headache (which also never happens). Ironic that I get two people attacking me on the day I'm most vulnerable...
    Bye bye caffiene dependency. I just finished my ONE cup of coffee, and that's it until a cup of tea in the afternoon.
    Wow, what a terrible sounding day! I hope things have smoothed out for you now!
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

hugs to everyone going through this. i send you all my love and strength.

after seeing how bad a caffeine addiction can get, ill definitely be careful about my consumption.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Having given caffeine several times in the past and fallen off the caffinated wagon so to speak, I honestly think I feel better if I have 4-5 cups of tea or coffee a day. As long as I stick to caffeine free stuff after 5 or 6 o'clock I don't have trouble sleeping and it seems to improve my mood. Plus I really like the taste of chocolate/coffee/black tea/green tea. Even the decaf varieties seem to have a small amount of caffeine in them. As long as I keep my consumption moderate I think I'm fine.
    There’s a statue that the abattoir erected to remind us all of their contributions. To me it marks Potemkin City Limits, this Francis cast in bronze.