Thread: Tired/weird

Default Tired/weird

I became a vegan a week ago and ever since ive been feeling so tired, even when ive had more than enough sleep, I had a panic attack for the first time ever and I don't have much energy. Im eating a lot more healthier that I did before, getting 5 fruit and veg a day and trying to get all the things I need. Does anyone think its related to the diet change, or maybe just a coincidence? I definatly don't want to change my diet now, dos anyone have any suggestions?

(5/05/06)

Default Re: Tired/weird

I'm not a doctor but if you're eating much more fruit, and more healthily, it could be that your body is having a clear out of all the toxins that were stored up in it.

I've read quite a few cases of people going on fruit fasts and feeling absolutely dreadful after a few days because they're detoxing - it should clear up within 10-12 days though. If you carry on feeling bad I'd go to the doctor.

Seaside

I think you may be right, twinkle.
    Have you gone straight from omni to vegan Christie? That's a bigger step to take. I went vegetarian first, mostly becasue I didn't know what vegan was. I don't remember feeling the way you describe though.

No I was a vegitarian for a year before I became a vegan. I think maybe your both right!
    (5/05/06)

that is exactly how i am feeling, too--
    and i am currently detoxing from extreme amounts of caffeine.
    so it sounds like twinkle and seaside have hit the nail on the head.

don't let this discourage you--it should (assuming we're right about the detox) subside soon, and you'll feel better than ever.

keep eating healthy and drink lots of water

Seaside

Christie, jem, hang in there then! It will pass, and then you will feel even better than before.

Ill hang in there don't worry!
    (5/05/06)

I think twinkle and Seaside are probably right, and you said that you're eating healthy and trying to get all the nutrients you need, so you're probably getting enough iron... I eat spinach pretty much every day, and if I don't, I notice a big decrease in my energy.

B12 is also related to energy, and since the main sources of it are meat, eggs, and dairy, your body is probably adjusting to the lack of dairy and eggs in your diet. After your body adjusts, you'll probably feel an increase in energy, even more energy than when you were a vegetarian, since dairy makes you lethargic and drags you down...

Glad you're haging in there
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

It's also quite easy to eat too few calories as a vegan - especially if you are trying to eat as healthy as possible. Make sure to get some good carbohydrate sources in you - pasta, potato, wholewheat bread, etc.
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

Limey

So, then Christie and jem, since it's been a month, are you feeling better?

I'm a month late to this thread, but am feeling the same way. I have been phasing out of omni and into veganism for a month now and have finally made the full switch over (food-wise that is, still working on household and personal products). I am drained of energy and just feel all thick-headed and cloudy. I'm hoping this is what it is and it will pass. We shall see.

Actually no!! I was better for a while but now im tired again, and my hair is falling out !!! I think I may have an iron deficiency.

I didn't phase out my food, I woke up one mornng and stopped eating anything I couldnt eat. I did the same when I became vegeatarian so I didn't think Id have any problems with it. Im still working on the personal products, this is more difficult thing to do when you have NO money
    (5/05/06)

Limey

Ahh, tell me about it. No money certainly is an issue where once I was paying $1.00 for something and now the same product, but in "vegan-version" is $4.00+ it gets a little stressful.

Hmm, maybe you should go to your doctor, then, if you're tired again and hair is falling out. Are you under any other stress in your life right now?

Quote Talia
    Hmm, maybe you should go to your doctor, then, if you're tired again and hair is falling out. Are you under any other stress in your life right now?
    Well im doing exams at the moment but they have never effected me like this before! So im waiting until they finish to decide, because it could just be those. However my mum is going crazy, saying about how she respects I have to follow my principles but thinks im damaging my health. So shes trying to find food with lots of iron in them.

Also am pretty annoyed with her at the moment, she offered to find loads of recipes for me and cook for me or a while to help me find vegan meals I like. Since ive been busy doing exams at the moment. It lasted a whole of two days till I was back cooking myself again!!! So yea I have been eating anything I have the energy to cook at the moment so I probly havent been getting all the stuff I need.
    (5/05/06)

Have you been taking a multivitamin? That would get you your iron.

But I would agree - go to the doctors and see what they say. Don't let them bully you into giving up veganism, though - just get them to let you know what your deficiencies are, and then either supplement, or improve your diet to increase the level of that nutrient.

It shouldn't have to cost you more if you are willing to make stuff from scratch, rather than buying ready made vegan stuff.

Im definatly going to go to the doc and find that out. Ive never bought any ready made vegan food, I do make all my stuff from scratch. So I could easily implement the foods in that I need!
    (5/05/06)

Christie:

Would you mind posting an average day's diet? Perhaps I can help by seeing what may be missing from your diet -- whether it's too few calories, too few nutrients etc?

Best,
    Josh

It could just be not enough calories. When I went vegan, the first few weeks all I ate were salads and stir fries--not the most calorie-rich foods. Maybe it could be that?
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Well today I had porridge made with water and golden syrup. Lunch i had baked potato with marg, salad and cold pasta in tomato sauce. For dinner im having a vegtable pie which has patato, carrot, brusell sprouts and pees in it with baked beans. My food changes a lot day to day, but I always get my three meals in.
    (5/05/06)

If you don't mind some constructive criticism, it seems your diet (at least that day) has no fruit. Fruit is not only extremely healthy and disease fighting, it is also a great source energy. One suggestion would be to put some berries, banana etc. in your morning porridge. Also would be healthy to include some nuts or seeds (walnuts are great because they are so high in omega 3 fatty acids).

Your lunch looks heavy and filling, but very low in nutrients (depending on the size of the salad). If possible, you would do better to make the salad the bulk of your lunch. It's great to add some beans/legumes, and any raw veggies you wish. I find something like pasta salad makes me very tired about 45 minutes after eating it. You may have the same issue. The high gluten content of wheat products (especially pastas and breads) expands in your stomach and can cause many people to feel lethargic. Also add some fruit to lunch.

I think dinner looks and sounds good, just maybe add another piece of fruit.

I'd be curious how those changes make you feel. I'd also recommend a good multivitamin to ensure you are getting adequate b vitamins (especially b-12), zinc, vitamin d etc.

Let me know if I can be of help!

Best,
    Josh

I do eat fruit everyday, what I described just then was the food from today, so I just havent had my fruit yet today. I try to have at least two peices of fruit a day, I dont like to eat lots as im trying to lose weight.

The salad was the bulk of the lunch, it was a small potato and the pasta was about two spoon fulls from the packet. I take b-12 supplements also.
    (5/05/06)

Fruit won't stop you losing weight.

You should worry about getting well first, then about the weight after.

Definitely recommend the multi-vitamin, with iron.

That new info certainly makes the diet look better. If trying to lose weight, it is still healthy to eat lots of fruit (one piece with every meal), just choose lower sugar, high water content fruits like berries, kiwis melons etc. They help fight off sweet cravings. The diet used to lose weight should be a similar diet used to fight disease -- e.g. lots of raw leafy greens, and steamed greens, raw veggies of all sorts, fruits, beans, and some seeds, nuts or avocado. All of those are also the most energizing foods.

I hope your energy comes back soon!

Best,
    Josh

Don't get me wrong I know that fruit wont make me put on weight or anything, but with all the sugar I just don't think eating lots and lots will help me. If I had a peice of fruit with every meal that would make three, and I have two or three peices a day so im guessing im doing ok then.
    (5/05/06)

OK, I certainly don't mean to belabor the point. But, something does seem off considering your continued lack of energy. There is often a week or two of detox symptoms, but after that you should be good to go. The more health promoting foods you can eat, and the less wasted calories you take in, the better. I'm certainly wishing you the best. And if I can be helpful in any way, please let me know.
    Best,
    Josh

I know a lot of vegans say that the average person gets too much protein, but to be honest, I feel a lot better when I eat more protein rich foods, and that day didn't seem very high in them, apart from baked beans (ETA I've just noticed you said peas as well).

Carbs can make a person tired (I think there are a couple of reasons for this, I seem to remember something to do with them stimulating serotonin, which acts a bit like a sedative), and all those meals seem quite high in them. I *love* carbs, don't get me wrong, but that's another thing to think about.

Hi the christie, if you are eating pulses, nuts and good wholefood carbs then thats protein covered. As for iron, green leafys are the way to go. Your having less protein than on dairy but This should lift your intake of iron. It could be your system just adapting but you are getting no less than you need if you are eating a balanced vegan diet. I agree with Pob. go to your doctor but stand your ground. They only get two days of basic nutritional training.

Quote twinkle
    I know a lot of vegans say that the average person gets too much protein, but to be honest, I feel a lot better when I eat more protein rich foods, and that day didn't seem very high in them, apart from baked beans (ETA I've just noticed you said peas as well).

Carbs can make a person tired (I think there are a couple of reasons for this, I seem to remember something to do with them stimulating serotonin, which acts a bit like a sedative), and all those meals seem quite high in them. I *love* carbs, don't get me wrong, but that's another thing to think about.
    I agree with this.

It also seems like your day could have more fat.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

i agree, it doesnt look like much protein at all. try increasing your intake and make sure you are getting enough iron. start adding soy milk to your diet, and other protein rich foods, and iron rich foods.

not that im one to talk. ive been feeling like this because ive not been getting enough calories/protein/iron at all. too bad i cant take my own advice LOL.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb