Thread: minneapolis

Talking minneapolis

hi everyone!

im going to minneapolis with my sister in june. she won a trip to go there for a pulmonary hypertension society meeting. she went to one in vancouver, here in canada, and she won it. pulmonary hypertension is what my mom died from, so it will be great to get to go to this.

were staying for a weekend, and while we'll be really busy with the meetings and everything going on, id love to hear what they have there. i know they have mall of america and we might get to go to that, but anything else?

anyone from minneapolis here?
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

tabitha

Default Re: minneapolis

Quote foxytina_69
    hi everyone!

im going to minneapolis with my sister in june. she won a trip to go there for a pulmonary hypertension society meeting. she went to one in vancouver, here in canada, and she won it. pulmonary hypertension is what my mom died from, so it will be great to get to go to this.

were staying for a weekend, and while we'll be really busy with the meetings and everything going on, id love to hear what they have there. i know they have mall of america and we might get to go to that, but anything else?

anyone from minneapolis here?
    Prince lives there doesnt he?

There's a new member, MN_Nurse, who is from Minnesota. Maybe she could help?
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

I am 6 hours from there, but the company I work for is located there, so I have a lot of work friends who live in what they call "the cities" (minnesapolis and st paul).

I just recently read an article about a raw vegan resturaunt in one of the cities...I will have to find the magazine and get you the name of it. Also, there is a vegan pizza place that advertized in the same magazine.

Mall of America doesn't have sales tax - so that's a plus. Also, they have this peanut butter place where everything in a peanut butter dish...forget the name of that one too. I will have to research this and post again.

Minneapolis/St Paul is very vegan friendly as far as I know...and it was even rated by Peta as one of the top veg friendly in the US.

The April 2006 issue of Veg News showcased Minneapolis/St Paul vegan friendly places. It is on page 58 and 59 if you can get a copy.

Let me summarize for you...

Ecopolitan - they call it "the place for organic, vegan raw cuisine."
    2409 Lyndale Ave. South; phone: 612.874.7336 www.ecopolitan.com

Spokes - "bicycle-delivered vegan pizzas made with local, organic ingredients and wheat free options" "Vegetarian Pizza and Pasta place - stop by on Thurs/Fri/Sat nights for pizza made with homemade vegan cheese, mock duck, sweet potato, and even sourkraut. Calzones, pasta, salads and vegan desserts also on the menu. to-go slices available."
    2129 E Franklin Ave.; phone: 612-ALFREDO

Hard Times Cafe - cheap eats for students - open 22 hours a day. vegan pancakes, "sausages" and tofu scramble served all hours. vegan desserts, like chocolate spicy muffins.
    1821 Riverside Ave. phone: 612.341.9261

Triple Rock Social Club - shows by hip-hop groups, punk bands and more. wide selection of vegan delectables including meatless loaf, sloppy joes, chili "cheese" fries and "meatball" subs. vegan french toast and pancakes on weekends.
    629 Cedar Ave South; phone: 612.333.7399 www.triperocksocialclub.com

Udupi Cafe - indian fare w/vegan options for drinks/chai made with soymilk. vegan items clearly labeled.
    4920 Central Ave. NE, Columbia Heights; phone: 763.574.1113 www.udupicafemn.com

Fast and Furless - clothing boutique. All vegan, and sweatshop free. vegan cookies sold.
    294 Snelling Ave. S. phone: 651.698.4585 www.fastandfurless.com

Compassionate Action for Animals - monthly events and hosting of events. Information/Resource.
    www.exploreveg.org phone: 612.626.5785

wow, cool! thanks wildflower!
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Quote foxytina_69
    wow, cool! thanks wildflower!
    Hey no problem - I am so excited for you, it looks like lots of options if you have time to get away!

Check out the ecopolitan menu - they mark which items have gluten in them and they have daily budget items. Mmmm...I have never had an interest in "raw food" but it looks great! And they do take out!

Ahhh...
    so as I was thinking about how badly I wanted to move to Minnesota, I came across an intriguing thought:
    I'd probably feel guilty about living in a fairly "safe" vegan place when I could go somewhere where veganism was less established and help set up a neophytic vegan "arena" (where I could proselytize!).

They are still big hunters and fishers up there...so, there is a lot of room for improvement!