Thread: Chocolate 'Flavour'

Default Chocolate 'Flavour'

Calling all chocoholics and the like. What are your thoughts on chocolate 'flavoured' things? Sauces, cereals, fillings, amd so on. I know generally synthetic flavours are a no no, but recently I've been eating so bloodly 'right' frankly its ticking me off.....are synthetic flavours that bad? And if so, whats the alternative? I guess I find it hard finding some sort of enjoyable treat that feels good quality, so i jump at the sugary nasty easy alternatives. Help, how do you manage?

Default Re: Chocolate 'Flavour'

Chocolate flavour isn't generally artificial - it just doesn't contain the required amounts of cocoa solids to be called chocolate. This is usually because they have replaced the cocoa butter with a cheaper fat (butter, or hydrogenated fat usually).
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

Pilaf

I prefer real chocolate, not only for health reasons but because it just tastes better to me.

I like the plain chocolate Kallo rice cakes for chocolatey snacks - good combination of chocolate and healthy wholegrain rice.
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

Do you like carob, sosmixchild?

Also, you can buy raw cacao powder to flavour desserts and make raw puddings with and things, if you want the taste but whilst staying healthy (and you can buy portions of cocoa butter).

I personally don't like the taste of a too high cocoa content in chocolate as it reminds me of burnt toast. Also, you can't snack out properly with a chocolate bar that is 70% cocoa as you get sick after about 3 or 4 pieces. That's probably a good thing though

The best chocolaty flavoured thing for me is the swedish glace ice cream, you really cant tell it's vegan & my omni friends loved it! I also bought some amazing vegan organica chocolate from the Animal Aid Website, LUSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Purple Monkey! :)

Oh i've not tried the swedish glace choc, in favour of trying the coffee ripple and caramel. Caramel was ok, coffee ripple, alright, but odd thing is, the best flavour i've tried of that so far is vanillia. Can't beat it. I'll look for those rice cakes, since being vegan I've gone health mad, which is no bad thing, but i fall down when it comes to sweets, i think we should all have the odd treat, but as they're usully milky, the alternatives I've found have been super sugary and full of chemicals. I don't want to live a sweet-less existance, but there must be better ways. Looking for the holy grail here, good quality naughty food. Hehe.

See whenever i go for the choc alternatives, or sauces, or anything like that, i tend to go overboard, have way too much, and thats probably telling me its not satisfying something, its not really what I'm after. Then I just feel grim, worried i've undone all the good work my lovely healthy food has done. I shall investigate, maybe i can find some recipes using G&B choc, and 'real' ingredients. Thank you for your suggestions.

Good sperm

If you get a high quality cocoa (green and black's do one) it's low in fat and because its such high quality and high cocoa content you need very little to get a divine chocolatey taste. Adding vanilla always seems to bring out the choccie flavour too I've found.

So if you want something choccie make a healthy sweet snack (maybe low-fat healthy muffins or something) and add cocoa and it shouldn't pile on the pounds.

Unless you eat the whole batch

i usually just have a really good quality chocolate bar (70+ cocoa) in my food cabinet, and snack a piece or two if i get cravings. and wierdly, ever since chocolate became something always available in my house, i don't eat it as much anymore.

Quote Smoothie
    ever since chocolate became something always available in my house, i don't eat it as much anymore.
    that will never be the case at my house, lol

I'm a huge chocoholic and I'm not much into chocolate- flavored things, I like the real thing
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

I prefer chocolate flavoured things, actually. I don't like dark chocolate all that much, way too bitter for me.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Do you still get those Tropical Source bars on PEI? We can still get them here, but I've taken quite a liking to the Green & Blacks peppermint filled chocolate.

We don't have them anymore, all the stores stopped carrying them. Maybe the company stopped selling them here since they cost too much money to ship and hardly anyone buys them. I can't get Green and Blacks here, either. All I get is boring 70% dark chocolate that soo does not satisfy a milk chocolate bar craving.

Limey

I like to keep a chocolate bar in my kitchen and one or two bites and I'm pretty much done with it. Most of the time it's coveed my craving, but not always. I have yet to figure out what to do about that.

Speaking of - I want this I saw on Food Fight, but they are temporarily out.
    http://store.foodfightgrocery.com/pechpo.html
    Peanut Butter Chocolate Popcorn - sounds divine!

Quote Tigerlily
    We don't have them anymore, all the stores stopped carrying them. Maybe the company stopped selling them here since they cost too much money to ship and hardly anyone buys them. I can't get Green and Blacks here, either. All I get is boring 70% dark chocolate that soo does not satisfy a milk chocolate bar craving.
    I'm sure I'll be able to fit a couple of bars in my suitcase for you

Thanks!