Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Raw Vegans II

Question Raw Vegans II

I am curious. I have been thinking about going raw for about the past month or so. I have done some research on it and feel kind of lost. Something like when I researched veganism. It seems so complex at times.

I found a really good site last night through a link on a post here for the most awesome journal on this lady and her 6 year journey of being raw. I honestly feel like I want to try it. Heck I was only trying vegetarian for a week when I started and look what has happened!

I am wondering if any of you have tried raw and how was your experience? If you are still raw could you shed some light on why you stay raw? If you tried it and couldn't or did not want to continue why?

Sorry for all of the questions but I feel so lost and really think I want to do this. It's just nice to hear some real life stories on experiences.

Thanks in advance,
    Sheila
    "Take the path of least harm"

Default Re: Any Ex Raw or Current Raw Vegans?

I've never heard of "Raw". What does it mean?

Quote nobacon
    I've never heard of "Raw". What does it mean?
    You don't eat cooked foods.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

ah right, thanks. So you eat raw potatoes, carrots, etc etc? Sounds a bit minging

i take it there are supposed to be nutritional benefits to "Raw"? Presumably less nutrient loss?

I've attempted going raw vegan multiple times, although my girlfriend has objected each time saying she understands why I would go vegan, but raw vegan is just too extreme (and of course she has the final word ). Actually, at the times that I went raw vegan, I wasn't 100% raw. I still drank soy milk and took my vegan vitamins. The whole purpose behind my going raw vegan was to eat a more nutritious diet.

If you'd like some samples of raw recipes, there are a lot of good ones on vegweb.com under the raw recipes section I ate a lot of salads with different peppers, tomatoes, cashews/other nuts, cucumbers, carrots, and onions. I also have a juicer, which is really nice for making drinks and sauces and such. Organic homemade apple juice tastes soo much better than anything available in the stores!

I also ate a lot of bananas, apples, and various other fruits (although many fruitarians avoid bananas, because, I believe, the fruit is picked before it has reasonably ripened and the trees are killed at the end of the season).

Hmm...I've read somewhere that cooking certain vegetables releases more of the enzymes, whereas cooking most vegetables kills their enzymes. I might try a semi-raw diet, eating some of those cooked vegetables. The other day I made this amazing dessert kind of thing using crushed cashews and water as a kind of crust and filling it with minced apples.

I'm no expert, for sure, but I have tried raw veganism before so if you've got any questions feel free to ask

Sheila,

We go mostly raw in the summer months for a number of different reasons. I don't personally believe a 100% raw diet is necessary for optimal health, so I don't go completely raw. The whole enzyme theory is sketchy at best, IMO. I mean, those enzymes are in the plant for the plant's purposes and our enzymes are in our bodies for our purposes - they are not the same enzymes needed to digest the plant. So the "science" behind raw foods diets is a bit lacking, again IMO.

However, raw foods are minimally processed and that appeals to me greatly. And I think juicing is a tremendous way to get more than 10 servings of fruits and vegetables per day if you are also consuming lots of fiber. Also, I love experimenting in the kitchen so raw foods are a lot of fun.

I think many recipes rely so heavily on nuts, seeds and avocado/coconut that you can consume a lot of fats/oils on a raw diet, so be forewarned. Keeping it simple seems to make the most sense. And keep your mind open when you do try raw recipes - some of the names of recipes are similar to cooked foods but the end result will have much different tastes and textures. By sticking to very simple dishes/foods and not adding too many ingredients, you will be amazed at how you may have never realized the complex taste of certain vegetables. We are sometimes so accustomed to adding salt, fat, sauces that we forget what celery or a plain tomato tastes like. That's part of the draw for me.

If you live in the north like I do then raw makes sense (environmentally, financially) for the summer but not for the winter. In the winter I sprout 3 different trays at a time and otherwise rely on fresh foods shipped from the southern states or sometimes Mexico. In the spring/summer/autumn I at least know what is in season here since I can buy locally from farms.

I think being mostly raw is easier in the warmer months when we aren't looking for "comfort" foods and holiday foods. I would miss the textures of many cooked foods if I went totally raw and since I don't see the health reasons, I wouldn't do it. Again, just my opinions.

So, I hope that answered some of your questions. By the way, I don't usually rely on a dehydrator but might get a better one this summer. Recipes that call for a dehydrator change the textures enough that you might not even "miss" cooked foods. My favorite raw restaurant relies heavily on dehydrators and I could probably live off of their menu year round - it's just too difficult to prepare their dishes for 2 people on a daily basis.

Let us know if you decide to try going raw for a time.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Eve

Thanks everyone for your responses. I know I feel better when I eat a really great salad with all the raw veggies and such in comparison to cooked pasta with sauce. In the summer I often eat so many cucumbers I think I'll never want to see one again!

I'm thinking that 100% raw would not be what I want but I do believe there is a benefit to eating foods in their natural state. I am more inclined to put vegan butter on a cooked carrot but don't often slather it on a raw one. So maybe by going 80/90% I could cut some of the fat out.

I don't have the patience to dehydrate anything so I know I'd have a hard time with that kind of prep. The juicing thing I could do though since often I don't eat enough good veggies and go more for starches like bread or a baked potato. I love refried beans and those would be really hard for me not to eat.

I'm going to do some more research and I think I'll give it a go in a few weeks.

Thanks again,
    Sheila

Blix

Look up Alissa Cohen's site. www.alissacohen.com. She makes raw dishes that are really good. Remember, that you don't have to 'join up' with any ones ideas, just do what is natural for you. There are tremendous benefits about eating raw. Just look into nature. What creatures have you seen that cooks it's food prior to eating it? Only humans. There is nothing wrong in eating food that has been lightly cooked, but raw retains all the nutrients. especially those that are lost in cooking. There was a test done on a group of raw fooders and it was found that although they were skinny, they were very healthy. But it was found that their bones were a lot lighter than normal. There is a site called www.hacres.com They advocate 85% raw and one 'steamed' or cooked meal a day. They give instructions about what foods to avoid and how to get your proteins etc., They also found that raw has tremendous healing power. Healings from cancer, lots of common ailments. Raw, especially lots of raw greens, detox the cells of the body and gradually rebuild them into a healthier state. I recommend it. On a cold, wet, miserable day, its hard to be raw, but as long as a home made soup, for example, isn't heated to more than 118 deg., then you won't destroy the enzymes. Give it a try for 1 month and see how you get on.

Yea, I remember reading a study somewhere that showed that the raw foodists' bones were thinner, but not any more prone to osteoporosis. However, there's a lot of propoganda on either side of raw foodism/fruitarianism so it's difficult to determine how much is completely true. There are plenty of "studies" showing that breatharianism is feasible, but I refuse to accept their validity. Yet, really, I don't see how eating raw foods could be anything BUT healthier, as you cut out all of the processed foods (although you might still be consuming pesticides and such if you don't eat organic foods).

For a comprehensive analysis into raw veganism, check out this site:
    http://www.vegansociety.com/html/food/raw_food.php
    It's the least-biased article I've found so far. It lists pros and cons and looks at it from a health standpoint. It's good.

Make sure you eat enough calories. I used to lurk around this raw foodist "food list" community, and a lot barely ate anything!
    Peace, love, and happiness.

I'm not totally raw, I just tend to eat a lot of raw dishes in the summer since we don't have an airconditioner and using the stove/oven really heats up the house lol. But this is a really good site with lots of great recipes. http://www.rawfoods.com

And another great recipe site.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

I went raw for two weeks and had insane cravings for refined carbs. I probably should have stuck at it for longer but my personality was getting out of hand and I was eating ridiculous amounts of macadamia nuts, peaches, avocados and dates. I even bought a dehydrator, though it seems to defeat the purpose.

However, I do believe raw food is better for you and I make sure I have at least a large salad and a few pieces of fruit and raw vegies every day to accompany my cooked (some say dead) food.

The best thing about raw is you don't have to go 100% until you're ready (if ever). You can stay at 50% or 70% - it's cool.
    Last edited by insubordination; May 19th, 2006 at 01:45 PM. Reason: because two and too are different

I am into day 4 of trying to be raw for 30 days. I actually am doing a daily blog about it here:

http://reedsrawfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Hi, I just read your blog, hope everything is going well for you. I've been trying out eating raw [although not totally at the minute]. I can't wait to see how you get on, all the best, Sandra

Thank you everyone for this thread - I've found the comments and links really useful.

Although I share Diane's scepticism about some of the science, I find myself eating more and more raw almost accidently...it just seems to feel right at an instinctual level. I'd never achieve 100% since I love our homemade/handmade bread too much

One question - can anyone recommend a decent dehydrator available in the UK?
    We are saved in the end by the things that ignore us. Andrew Harvey

As far has dehydrators, get one with a temperature control as you shouldn't dehydrate at high temperatures if you want to retain nutrients.

(Thinking about getting dehydrator back out to make carrot and celery chips).

Hi Sheila,

I've been reading a bit about raw foodism just for the past two days. Here's why: several years ago I had bad GI troubles and couldn't handle eating, so starting mostly having fresh juices I juiced in the morning. Most outstanding was the energy level I felt! As if I'd had caffeine (which I never have anymore).

Then GI got better and energy enhancement was forgotten. However, this past Sunday, I awoke with a headache and felt sluggish. I had a big watermelon and ate a lot of it Sunday and Monday. Then I felt great on Monday and, after reflection, decided it may be the raw watermelon. That got me started.

A lot of resources seem to recommend 80% raw and 20% cooked. The big difference between veganism and raw foodism is that veganism seems to have a lot of science and peer-reviewed articles behind it and the raw foodism, while logical, doesn't seem to have much to support it.

But anyway I've been trying the 80%:20% ratio more or less, and have noticed an increase of energy, evidenced by straighter posture without thinking about it, planning/daydreaming about doing SITUPS without thinking consciously about it. It's only been two days now. I do have some bean sprouts going that actually are sprouting in the kitchen! That's exciting!

Cheers!
    Pat

Thanks for the resources everyone. I have set my start date for June 12th. I tried it for a day or two but had a hard time with wanting crunchy food. I love whole wheat toast and that's what broke me. I'm doing a lot of research right now and am going to commit to 30 days at about 95% raw. I need to find some ready made raw crackers. I love the crunch of veggies but I really love crunch with chips, crackers, etc..

I think I'll blog it so I can see how I feel everyday.

Thanks again,
    Sheila

By GI, do you mean Glycemic Index? Watermelon is very high GI and should be avoided by those trying to keep a steady blood sugar level.

Sheila, good luck on your adventure.

I am high raw, I may have 1 cooked serving a day and some of my drinks aren't raw (like coffee). I feel great on raw and do cardio and weight lift throughout the week.

My favorite site thus far is http://www.thegardendiet.com

Raw athlete Tonya Kay (dancer):
    http://www.tonyakay.com/
    High Raw athlete Brendan Brazier:
    http://www.brendanbrazier.com/

coney

http://www.thegardendiet.com

Yeah, that's a great site. When I need a little inspiration to eat better, I look on there. Lots of books and videos you can order also.

I'm going to try to eat as much raw food as possible this summer, since the stuff's in season.

I tried to eat mostly raw a couple years ago, but was SOOOOOo hungry all the time, I guess I wasn't taking in enough calories. I had to go back to eating bean burritos and falafel for lunch. If I knew how to create high calorie raw foods, I'd eat more that way.

Quote coney
    http://www.thegardendiet.com

Yeah, that's a great site. When I need a little inspiration to eat better, I look on there. Lots of books and videos you can order also.

I'm going to try to eat as much raw food as possible this summer, since the stuff's in season.

I tried to eat mostly raw a couple years ago, but was SOOOOOo hungry all the time, I guess I wasn't taking in enough calories. I had to go back to eating bean burritos and falafel for lunch. If I knew how to create high calorie raw foods, I'd eat more that way.
    Once your over the "hump" you don't require a lot of calories to maintain. The best advice I have ever heard was Tonya Kay saying she begins her day with something green (leafy) and ends her day with something green. Then she eats fruit in between. I am only about a week in to this particular advice, but so far this advice is gold, no hunger here....I'll keep you posted.

the easiest way of eating raw is to keep to fruit only

but if you're going to eat salads etc avoid toms unless you are O blood group

check out Ross Horne re raw/fruit diets, and D'Adamo for blood group stuff.

Quote SeaSiren
    Once your over the "hump" you don't require a lot of calories to maintain. The best advice I have ever heard was Tonya Kay saying she begins her day with something green (leafy) and ends her day with something green. Then she eats fruit in between. I am only about a week in to this particular advice, but so far this advice is gold, no hunger here....I'll keep you posted.
    When does the Hump end? I started raw yesterday and I don't know if it was from not eating much the day before or going raw but I was so hungry all day. But I think back to when I went veggie and it took about 1 week for the cravings/hunger to go away. Do you think it's a similar time frame?

Sheila

For me cravings for cooked/processed food began to wane on day three (although I was still eating a lot), then reared their ugly head just before my cycle. I still have hungry days especially just before cycling. Otherwise it took about 3 months before the cravings stopped and I was eating less. I have plenty of energy to push weights and do cardio and my weight stays the same. I am still fairly new to raw and am "high raw" not 100%. But every day I am raw it gets easier and easier.

Every person is different so this may not be the same for you. Good Luck!

You'll think I'm strange but I was actually thinking about you when I went to the gym this morning. I had read your posts last night and thought about how it would be to work out raw like you do.

I normally do 45 minutes on the elliptical machine about 4 times a week. I hit 25 minutes and thought I was going to die. I was freakin' hungry working out! I have never been hungry doing that and I got really tired too. I guess I'll just have to be patient while my body adjusts.

Thanks,
    Sheila

LOL, no I don't think your weird!

Many of the Raw foodies who lift or do a lot of cardio eat fruit just before working out and a green smoothie afterward. I eat a banana just prior, hydrate (water) throughout and will eat something afterward (generally a light dinner as I work out really late).

But, don't let yourself get too hungry, you need and will use the calories. My workouts hurt in the begining (little energy) but after a few weeks they were back up to par and continue to progress as before. If you get the munchies allow yourself to eat! Eventually you won't want too.

I do keep my fat intake around 30% and don't eat dehydrated foods. There are many raw foodies who say not to limit anything so long as it's raw, but this is what works for me.

If things aren't working out with raw before abandoning it all together, you should also consider transitioning instead. Only one cooked meal per day for a month, then two-three cooked meals a week for a month, to once a week, to a few times a month and see how you feel a long the way. I would hate to see you discouraged.

wow, this is a great thread, mainly because i'm interested in going totally raw as well.

i'm currently between 75- 80% raw foods. the only thing i eat cooked is sprouted multi-grain cinammon-raisin bread (flourless) with an all raw veggie sandwich. but mostly raw fruits and vegetables, raw nuts and seeds.

in the winter months i have a hard time though. i need at least a few meals cooked here and there because i get very cold.

does hot tea count as a cooked item? or can one be raw and drink say, green tea?

Anything heated above 115 is not considered raw (this is debated some say 112 some say 120). A lot of raw foodies don't take in caffine, but don't say it isn't raw. I do take in caffine but seep my green tea at room temp (warm water) or have "sun tea". I am not 100% raw and still have coffee, but it is beginning to seem really heavy on my stomach in the AM now, so I am going to try tea and see what happens.

I eat as raw as possible. That means if there are two sources for a particular nutrient, one that can be eaten raw and one that must be cooked, I use the raw choice.

What % of my diet that is raw fluctuates. I can go a month or so at a time 100% raw, but there are still some things I like to rotate into my diet such as rice. I don't "cook" on the stove or in the oven anymore though. What little I do eat that needs cooking I do in my steamer.

Also it is true some vegges digest better if cooked or juiced, such as carrots.

I drifted into a mostly raw diet because I prefer foods in their whole state without any "flavourings" added.

Hyper have you noticed an improvement in your overall health or it is the same????
    Mother nature doesn't except excuses only man does.....

Quote sheri beri
    Hyper have you noticed an improvement in your overall health or it is the same????
    Overall, I it is at this point just me being subjective if I say my health is better or worse. I feel like I digest my foods faster or more efficiently when eaten raw. I suspect that only with enough time and regular nutrient analysis will I know objectively if more raw has been better for me.

As far as people questioning whether something is "raw," I don't think that's the point. Eating raw is no more ethical than veganism, it's about eating healthily, and, I guess, some find it more spiritual. So if you want hot tea, don't refuse to drink just because it isn't raw. I think it's more to cut out processed foods and to prevent the enzymes in the food from being killed.

i have just found http://www.funkyraw.com/ this site which looks nice, uk based i think.

Not all of the food Funky Raw reccomend is Vegan. Which is a shame.

I saw their flyer in a heath food shop last week on holiday.

http://www.rawfood.comhas a great forum with lots of info about being raw, support, recipes and more. I definitely recommend checking it out.

I'm in the process of going raw. I'm about 1 1/2 weeks in. I've got 3 books, detox your world (fantastic book), detox delights, and eat smart eat raw. I treated myself to an icecream maker too. Banana icecream, it tastes soooo sinful but I can't believe it's so healthy. I also got hold of a saladacco which is a gadget that cuts carrots and stuff into cool spirals or spaghetti like strips. It may be psychological, but I aready feel fantastic, I'm sure there's less cellulite and I'm not as bloated.

If anyone more experienced has some wisdom to share I'd love to hear it. I'd also love to find out how other faw foodie newbies are doing?

Quote cedarblue
    i have just found http://www.funkyraw.com/ this site which looks nice, uk based i think.
    interesting site. the only thing i questioned was their mentioning the use of raw milk and raw yogurt. hmm...

no problem with the fruits, vegetables, nuts & seeds, and cold pressed oils, though.

Default Vegan Raw Foods Diet?

Hi all,
    I've been a vegan for a while and I love it but now I'm thinking of going with more of a raw foods diet. I've been doing some reading and I understand that means mainly sticking with veggies, fruits, nuts, and seeds. But I'm wondering about other vegan foods that might work. Has anyone tried eating this way or is eating this way? I've read in several places that some people have done this and gained weight because of the avocado and nuts. I'm not really looking to lose weight now (though I could stand to go down a few pounds ) but mainly to stick to some type of healthy and easy vegan plan. I love to cook but cooking foods has been taking quite a bit of time for me and I'm thinking moving to more raw foods (like fruit salads, veggie salads, etc.) might make it easier for me to stick with a vegan plan and eat healthy.

So any tips or links I would love. I'm also wondering if some soy products might work for a raw foods diet, such as tofu and soy milk (such as in smoothies in the morning).

Tam

Default Re: Vegan Raw Foods Diet?

do a search im sure youll find plenty of info.
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

paulvegan

there are loads of web sites about raw foods etc, as jjdaiquiri said just do a search.

smoothies are excellent!

try a blend of:
    soy milk, coconut milk, bananas, strawberries, and all kinds of nuts - it's one full meal!

Yep, I've done searches and am continuing to do searches. Unfortunately, I'm in the middle of a move right now so my internet access is a bit spardonic. That's one reason why I wanted some input from this board on people who have done/are doing this kind of diet. I like to get personal experience as well as objective information off of the web.

So again, if anyone is doing/has done this and would like to share their experience with me and/or any book/website recommendations, I'd love to hear about it!

Tam

Hi Tammay, have a look at our Vegan Raw Food-thread! (I know three letter words are often ignored by our search engine - sorry for that!)

Quote tammay
    So any tips or links I would love. I'm also wondering if some soy products might work for a raw foods diet, such as tofu and soy milk (such as in smoothies in the morning).

Tam
    Soya milk and tofu are neither raw or unprocessed. But as you will find when you look into raw foods most raw people do not eat 100% raw. Summer is a time to eat more raw food naturally, you can just start including more raw veggies, uncooked salads, fruits and nuts in your diet.
    At the moment I am eating a lot of raw as the weather is too hot to cook and too hot to eat hot food.
    My favourite at the moment is carrot and nut. Grate a couple of fresh carrots, add almonds, raisins and seeds, then add cider vinegar, oil, seasoning, and some fruit concentrate.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

Thank you for the replies. I'll take a look at the raw foods thread. I'm guessing I also won't be able to go 100% raw (I probably won't have the willpower to give up my chili or my coffee )but I'll definately start including more raw foods in the morning (like fruit instead of a tofu scramble) and salads.

Tam

I have a book called "Living in the Raw Gourmet" that has an incredibly helpfully section in the beginning explaining how to go about raw foods healthily, detox tips, talks about dehydrators and juicers, etc. and then has tons and tons of recipes. All the ones I've tried so far tasted really good. I can't remember, but I'm pretty sure everything in there is vegan. I looked through tons and tons of books, but a lot of them included things like goat milk and sushi and other stuff that I was surprised was included in a raw diet. I guess there is a difference between a raw foods diet and a raw vegan diet. Also, there are packaged bars (can't remember the name, something like larabar) around here that are all raw and organic and incredibly tasty. They have a mix of fruits and nuts and they're all compacted into a little bar.