Thread: Do you belong to a vegan related organisation/charity?

Default Do you belong to a vegan related organisation/charity?

I was thinking about adding an AR group to my will, but I'm not sure which one.
    The obvious choices are: PETA, SPEAK, VIVA, Farm Sanctuary, Pigs Peace (recently visited them). I really have no idea which company would do the most good with my money. Although I adore the sanctuaries, I would really like it to go to an organization that works toward the end of meat consumption.
    What do you all think, and why? (Doesn't have to be a US group)
    You are not required to complete the task of repairing the world, neither are you free to abstain from it.
    --Pirke Avot

Default Re: Which company would you give money to?

Hi, if I should support an organization, I'd try to find one as close to my viewpoints as possible.

The ideal organization for me would be one that...

•has a clear profile saying that it's against harming and killing animals and humans

•is not by definition pacifist or anti-pacifist

•does not limit it's viewpoints to what causes physical pain only, or limit viewpoints pro being veg*n to eg. factory farm issues: respect for the right to live would be essential

•is not by definition religious or anti-religious

•is not in any way associated with (or donating money to) ALF or other groups known for their 'eco-terrorist'-activities. If they should ever should falsely be accused for doing such things, they should be clear, and not vague about their policy. By not funding any kind of illegal activities, there would be no possible, negative media link to 'eco-terrorism' or anything similar ever.

•is clearly focusing on promoting a vegan (not only a vegetarian) lifestyle, without having an exaggerated focus on 'non-issues' (like discussing if humans should eat insects or not, most people don't do that anyway!)

•focus on the most important animal product issues: meat, dairy, leather, fur etc., and not focus too much on animal products on the microgram-level

•not limits it's viewpoints to animals only, but is clear about not harming the nature, the environment

•is not closely hooked up to one person and his/her personal life, or his/her personal ideas beyond what's defined as the purpose of the organisation

•focus on starting own projects instead of supporting others', in order to get better control of what their money goes to

•would by it's nature support a lifestyle that some people may find extreme (some people think being vegan is extreme!), but not in any way 'try to' be extreme

•will use well known people when it's appropriate, but not speculate in celebrities, especially not those known for their looks (or boobs!)

•have a strong focus on communication and the current and future most common media channels: internet, TV-stations, DVD's, podcasts etc.

•stays away from quack/undocumented pseudo-science, like 'vegans will never have a problem with B12 if they eat a raw vegan diet' or 'you can't get the nutrients you need from plants'

•not in any way is involved in killing animals; members who support euthanasia would need to do that via other organizations. The organization wouldn't pr. definition be pro or against euthanasia

•if possible/needed, would help funding research that could be used to show people the healthiness of a vegan lifestyle
    •when needed, support pro fair-trade and pro-organic/veganic viewpoints

•doesn't waste energy on attacking other organisations that may be seen as similar by others

•if supporting other organizations at all, limit the support to similar groups, so no hurrays or awards for producers of anything that kills animals or 'humane' slaughtering methods

Does an organization close to what I described above already exist?

I agree with most of Korn's criteria...especially for an organization that is socially responsible in other ways (supporting organic, fair-trade, and environmentally healthy purposes and products)

Also, I would want to know what exactly the money would be used for. I'm afraid that many organizations end up using donations or leftovers from donations for expenses that I find unnecessary...for instance, if the organization involves travel and reimburses for food, I think there should be a limit on the amount allowed for food, rather than giving a huge sum of money and allowing the employees/volunteers to spend it at expensive restaurants.

That's what comes to mind right now. I might think of more things if I were to sit down and think about it more.
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

You have both given me a lot to think about. thanks!
    You are not required to complete the task of repairing the world, neither are you free to abstain from it.
    --Pirke Avot

I only recently thought of this myself, and it gives me a sense of peace about my imminent death. I would probably split my will between 2 or 3 different organizations. No kids to give it to 3labs, good for you!!!

Sarah,
    I have 2 kids, one of them is named Sarah, she is a vegan and a member of this forum.
    The kids would get some of the money but I'd really like to see a good percentage of it go to an AR group. I think my Sarah would appreciate that as she's very involved with the AR movement.
    --Pirke Avot

I already give money to:
    Greenpeace
    wilderness society
    animal liberation

I've also donated all my organs. When I die they will only need a matchbox for what's left. It might save some poor animal from being used.

my3labs, that is too neat Sarahs rock

Quote treehugga
    I already give money to:
    animal liberation
    Do you a link or info on them?
    --Pirke Avot

Quote sarahblue
    my3labs, that is too neat Sarahs rock
    Yeah, she's a good kid. She was vegetarian for two years and the one that encouraged me to watch meetyourmeat. After we watched it and some others, we both went vegan overnight.
    --Pirke Avot

I have already made a will and I chose to give my money to the Sierra Club. I was going to give it all to PETA but they assured me that in the event of my death, even if I made provisions for my dogs they would not be able to look after them. That bothered me. So I chose an organization that does not make a great display of care for animals, but is beneficial in a more global way. I am still not sure that I made the best decision--as Korn details it is not easy to find such an organization-- but it's done and I will have to spend some big bucks to change it.

The organisations that I support are those which are primarily focused on overall change (be that consumer opinion or legislation), not individual cases. However heart wrenching to say no, I feel that spending excess finance and effort on things that in the grand scheme of things account for very little is a waste. Additionally the work of some charities and groups that others support I actually think is detrimental to the animal and human rights movements.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Default Do you belong to a vegan related organisation/charity?

I'm currently deciding which organisations I would like to support and was thinking of donating money to an animal/vegan related organisation as well as Greenpeace.

What organisations/charities do you support and why?

Also, I was thinking about becoming a member of the vegan society but I get the impression they don't always get very good press, why is this?

Thanks a lot!

PS- if there's a thread already on this subject I apologise. I did do a search but my computer is playing up..
    Last edited by flutterby; Jun 24th, 2007 at 12:14 PM. Reason: this was the 1st post in a similar thread

Default Re: Do you belong to a vegan related organisation/charity?

I donate to Greenpeace and Amnesty International. A lot of people like to criticize Greenpeace, but I think they still do a lot of good work educating people and helping environmental causes.

I also donate to this here Vegan Forum because I love it so much!

I'm currently a member of The Vegetarian Society (they usually include a lot of stuff relevant to vegans in their magazine) and of VIVA! because they seem quite funky as well as a local woodland trust in Leicestershire. I also do a monthly direct debit to Animal Aid. I used to be a member of the Vegan Society for a couple of years, but my membership lapsed.

Largely I am a member of organisations because I don't think I would have maintained my vegetarianism and then veganism without the constant presence of various different groups always reminding me of why I decided to go veg*n in the first place, and I hope they can do the same for other people. A lot of them enable you to get discounts at various places as well, which can be handy.

Jjt

I don't belong to any organizations or charity. The only charity I feel moderately safe about donating to is called vegfam : http://www.veganvillage.co.uk/vegfam/

It is a vegetarian charity that gives vegetarian food to starving people and
    helps build sustainable vegetarian resources for countries that suffer from hunger. They don't seem to mix themselves up in a hundred other liberal agendas and so I really like them. One thing though is I have sent them an email and they didn't answer me back. If one of you in the uk could call them and see how they're doing and let me know that would be really great and appreciated.

This is something I really feel good about because this will save lives and is the best or one of the best practical solutions to ending starvation in the long term and saving human lifes and animals too.

Quote mooli magic View Post
    Also, I was thinking about becoming a member of the vegan society but I get the impression they don't always get very good press, why is this?
    I'm a member of the vegan society, but wonder if I should continue to do this.

In my view, the vegan society seems to be a bit asleep, and recent "management troubles", didn't do much for their credibility imho.

I'd like to sponsor an organisation that is bringing the vegan message across.
    Something that's not only limited to the U.K (as the vegan society seems to be)

(not Peta)

See this thread for information about Tower Hill Animal Sanctuary, a worthy place indeed to donate money to, as it states in the thread Fiona was awarded the Diamond Jubilee Vegan Achievement Award 2004 from the Vegan Society in recognition of her athletic achievements, her Fire-Fighting achievements, her work to help rescued animals in Russia and also of course the 250 rescued animals she looks after on her own at her Sanctuary in Essex.

I belong to the Vegan Society (albeit with a few misgivings recently), and also to the Vegetarian Society which I think has a useful awareness-raising function, not least because a lot of vegetarians are trainee vegans.

I sometimes support other organisations like Animal Aid and Viva! on an ad hoc basis but I don't belong to them.

as far as animal/veg charities are concerned, i'm a member of Viva!, Animal Aid, the Vegetarian and Vegan Societies, and Hillside Animal Sanctuary in Norfolk. i have a special fondness for them because they were one of the biggest influences in me going from veggie to vegan.

i have some misgivings about both the Vegetarian and Vegan Societies - the Veg Soc because they've affiliated themselves with McDonalds, and although they sometimes cater to vegans, sometimes they can come across as quite anti-vegan, as though they think it's too extreme. membership does give some good discounts though and the magazine's quite interesting. my feelings towards the Vegan Society are similar to those others have mentioned, but i'm still a member for now because i believe they have great potential and that'll never be fulfilled unless they have funding, and i can afford it at the moment. they may not be living up to that potential at present but i can do more to influence their direction as a member, imo.

i used to donate to Peta but became disillusioned with them and stopped. they've been pestering me for money ever since. i prefer to donate to other charities whose tactics i'm more in agreement with.

I belong to the RSPCA. I joined so that I could be on the committee of my local branch that was going to be closed through lack of committee members, along with several other local vegans. While I don't agree with a lot of the policies of the RSPCA at a national level, at the local level a lot of good things can be achieved, particularly if some activists get involved.

Mostly I prefer to give my time than my money.

I belong to the RSPB as birds are a bit of a passion of mine

I'm also lucky enough to work for an animal welfare charity

Forgot to mention the Dr Hadwen Trust which funds medical research without animals:

http://www.drhadwentrust.org.uk/

Edited to add: Jjt, there's some more uptodate information about VegFam here:

http://www.vegfamcharity.org.uk/

I've just joined LondonVegans and had a lovely chat with a woman who phoned me to give me a helping hand. I also support my Mum's animal rescue charity HULA (Herts & Essex Unwanted Lost Animals Sanctuary, part of the National Animal Welfare Trust).

sugarmouse

I just do my best to support the local PDSA,(donating and shopping at their charity shop)RSPCA,I am a member of VIVA! and always buy presents and other gifty things from the doctor hadwen trust

Lightbulb Re: Do you belong to a vegan related organisation/charity?

Thank you so much for your replies, they're just what I was after.

I really appreciate your comments and reasoning- I agree that it's not always black and white, there's a lot more to supporting an organisation than simply giving them your money every now and again. It's interesting to see those who have chosen a local charity to support (or one which operates in their local area) and those that have chosen things that do work worldwide. I don't mean that in a criticising 'if-you-support-locally-you're-smallminded' kind of way, or even conversely 'worldwide-supporters-obviously-don't-think-about-"charity begins at home"-way'. I think it's really swings and roundabouts, and as long as you've made a reasoned choice that you're happy with, that's great.

I remember Vegfam now- I'm pretty sure I saw their ad in the Vegan Society mag. Their work seems like something I'd really like to support actually.

I guess that as vegans we probably tend to support quite a few organisations anyway through buying from veggie/vegan catalogues..and of course, every little helps.

*Ugh, that made me shudder...isn't that TESCOs tagline*

I'm a life paid up member of animal aid. I chose them because I think they cover issues some of us forget about which aren't meat related. I.E horse racing and the lack of tax being paid by the shooting industry. They also do fun things for us to raise money, like sponsored walks and runs etc. On a personal note, I like reading OUTRAGE each month and also the discounts I get at veg/vegan friendly places and online with my Animal Aid card.
    I used to support Greenpeace but since becomming vegan I've decided that a charity claiming to support enviromentalism, yet doesn't support a vegan diet is not worth my time or effort. I sometimes donate to IFAW and other animal conservation/sanctuary charities aswell.
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

cobweb

Animal Aid
    Hillside Animal Sanctuary
    Viva
    Vegan Society

BlackCats

I belong to Animal Aid, Viva, Vegan Society as well.

I have given donations to Dr Hadwen Trust and Hillside Animal Sanctuary but do not belong to them.
    I also have given donations to Uncaged which is a charity that campaigns against animal experimentation.

When I am earning more than I am at minute I will definitely donate monthly to these three on a regular basis. Also I will resume my donation to Amnesty.

I belong to the vegan society. They are setting up a group called 'vegans for life' which is to cater for older vegans, which I find quite impressive as a lot of groups tend to target younger people. This is all very well but I older, terminally ill and disabled people need to be targeted as well. I've offered to braille things for Animal Aid but they don't even seem interested. I think it's stupid really as I think that disabled people would have a lot to offer an animal rights group. Apart from the animals themselves who can't very well form their own groups, The disabled and terminally ill are also victims of vivisection because the money that funds vivisection is taken directly from charity and government funds that really belongs to disabled people, only many disabled people can't see this as they are dazzled by the fairy tale cures that the vivisection industry so often spews out.

I would also like a future where I am not in danger of being force fed meat in some vegan unfriendly nursing home when I get that old.

I'm also a member of the vegan society and saw in their latest issue that somebody is trying to set up a vegan society in France which would be great. I contacted them to show support but haven't heard anything yet.

We support the charity through which we were able to adopt our children which isn't vegan but it's close to our hearts.

Jippia

I am only a member of the Vegetarian and the Vegan Society here. We support two missionary couples and we have two sponsored children through Compassion Nederland. We donate to Christian organizations and we always give money when there are door-to-door collections for the Kidney foundation and other health related foundations.

Mirjam

Quote dreama View Post
    I belong to the vegan society. They are setting up a group called 'vegans for life' which is to cater for older vegans, which I find quite impressive as a lot of groups tend to target younger people. This is all very well but I older, terminally ill and disabled people need to be targeted as well. I've offered to braille things for Animal Aid but they don't even seem interested. I think it's stupid really as I think that disabled people would have a lot to offer an animal rights group.
    As a member of the "disabled community," I can say I heartily agree.

I also notice that even fewer disabled people--percentage-wise--than "normal people" seem to be vegan or vegetarian. Most disabled people are so incensed about human rights, animal rights aren't even an issue. Or they have caretakers and helpers who feed them prescribed diets. This is especially unfortunate because a lot of disabilities are exacerbated by poor diet; diabetes, for instance, which often leads to blindness, could be treated fairly successfully with a lowfat vegan diet as part of the treatment. Unfortunately, few doctors are aware of this and few patients will take treatment into their own hands.

I'm embarrassed to even mention this next thing: many wheelchair-users are morbidly obese--particularly people who use power wheelchairs. It's not their fault, and I honestly can't say if the chicken or the egg came first here, but it seems the convenience foods and comfort foods many disabled people gravitate to are part of the problem. Even nutrition programs don't seem to be helping this trend, although they may have data that says such programs are helping--after all, they need proof of it working so they can get more funding.

In any event, it just seems there is the same problem as with the population at large, but moreso; the disabled aren't aware of animal suffering, so it's not an issue.

Quote dreama View Post
    I would also like a future where I am not in danger of being force fed meat in some vegan unfriendly nursing home when I get that old.
    There's a new charity that's supposed to be addressing that issue:

"Vegetarian for Life is a new charity being set up by the Vegetarian Housing Association. It will aim to improve standards of catering for older vegetarians and vegans throughout the U.K."

http://www.vegetarianforlife.co.uk/

Quote dreama View Post
    Right on!
    --------
    The Vegan Society
    local branch of Cats Protection (not strictly vegan but sort of A.R)

we could all give our money to Korn as he seems to be the most scrupulous in his listed requirements.....
    I tend to give money for individual campaigns: I don't have to love an entire organization. I give often and small amounts to: peta (opting out of their begging-email-list is easy), Vegan Outreach and various appeals that I stumble across.... disability rights groups, disaster relief etc.
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

Quote pat sommer View Post
    we could all give our money to Korn as he seems to be the most scrupulous in his listed requirements.....

Make it NoneHarm instead when/if the project is realized...
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Quote harpy View Post
    There's a new charity that's supposed to be addressing that issue:

"Vegetarian for Life is a new charity being set up by the Vegetarian Housing Association. It will aim to improve standards of catering for older vegetarians and vegans throughout the U.K."

http://www.vegetarianforlife.co.uk/
    I've just had a look at that. I thought they were attached to the vegan society? Anyway I'm going to offer help by transcribing material in Braille, Moon and Large Print.

Quote frank language View Post

In any event, it just seems there is the same problem as with the population at large, but moreso; the disabled aren't aware of animal suffering, so it's not an issue.
    I know. Unfortunately a lot of disabled never get past the stage where they are totally self absorbed. The other problem of course is that there are a lot of misinformation aimed at the disabled. Fairy tale 'cures' which some disabled people subscribe to. I was just reading 'the New Beacon' which is a braille magazine. There is no less then 3 articles promising various cures for blindness. Still my letter has been published as last month there was this new genetic modification which has supposidly help laboritory animals regain their sight. They even have the nerve to tell blind people to push for more of this: write to their MP's and support research charities! Makes my blood boil.

Quote dreama View Post
    I've just had a look at that. I thought they were attached to the vegan society? Anyway I'm going to offer help by transcribing material in Braille, Moon and Large Print.

Not sure whether they are connected to the Vegan Society, dreama. They certainly have a link to the Vegetarian Society through Tina Fox who used to be ?CEO of the society.

puca

I'd like to join the Vegan Society...

I'll be joining Woodcraft Folk soon and hopefully being trained as a leader!

I belong to a few charities... One's a left wing economic think tank, one for conservation, one for climate change, one for student activism.

"is not by definition pacifist or anti-pacifist"

Why?
    "To become vegetarian is to step into the stream which leads to nirvana." - Buddha

leedsveg

In the Vegan Soc and the Veggie Soc.

Buddha Belly

In Vegan Soc' and North Herts Veggie and Vegans and the Vegan Forum.

I give a regular donation to Viva! and also donate to VegFam.

PETA I have mixed feelings about. I find them sensationalist, sexist and silly (sea kittens anyone?), but at the same time their "Meet your Meat" videos have helped many people go veg*n. Currently I don't support them.
    Last edited by Kate1978; May 30th, 2009 at 05:55 PM. Reason: added link
    ~ Don't think twice, it's all right ~

Vegan Society members, regular donations to Hillside Animal Sanctuary, Dr Hadwen Trust, Dogs Trust, Speen Home of Rest for Horses and Secret World Wildlife Sanctuary. We both occasionally support other groups with donations - those on the more active side of Animal Rights which are forbidden to be discussed here.

I am currently interning with COK. It's ... interesting.
    "To become vegetarian is to step into the stream which leads to nirvana." - Buddha

cobweb

what's COK?

Buddha Belly

I just burst out laughing.

COK - could be

a) Russian word for "juice"
    b) a slang word for a part of the male anatomy
    c) Compassion Over Killing

Take your pick
    ~ Don't think twice, it's all right ~