Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Vegan Forum and diluted veganism

songlife

Default Re: The Vegan Forum and diluted veganism

Quote journey View Post
    Korn, I appreciate your stance on all of this. I appreciate having a place where I can talk with other vegans without having to get in a discussion about defending why it's not ok to eat animals that have been killed in certain 'humane' ways, why hunting is supposedly ok in certain cicumstances, etc. I like this forum because it's assumed that people posting here agree with the usual (Watson's) definition of veganism.

I want to have discussions about vegan issues without having to argue about that basic, generally agreed upon definition.

There are vegetarian forums where people who do not accept the definition of veganism can post. I occassionally read those forums. On one, I was having a discussion and a new 'vegan' was talking about their only lifestyle change being food. I mentioned how great it was about them changing their diet, but that there's more to veganism than just food.

I found it highly offensive that I was jumped on (and in a vegan area of that board too) - apparently that board had posted a definition of veganism in their rules somewhere that said veganism is only when you don't eat milk / dairy / eggs.

So I don't post there that much anymore - I don't feel welcome if that's what they think veganism is. It's great that people are not eating milk, dairy,eggs, but they seemed to think I was extreme because I thought there was more to veganism than food.

Korn, thank you for helping to keep the term vegan from being distorted like that.
    Perhaps there needs to be an active outreach from this site (that respects the actual and original Watson definition of vegan) to theirs, and not just one person trying to educate. I think we should all e-mail the site owners and request that the definition be corrected to quote Watson's definition. If they do not switch to being truthful then we should discuss it openly on the site in the name of defending the truth that is being defamed. Things like this are the reason why everyone is so uneducated.

I think the reason they might be squeamish about including the ethical portions of the definition is because they feel it accuses non-vegans of being unethical. They just have to get over it and post the true definition without obscuring anything.

Default Re: The Vegan Forum and diluted veganism

deleted.