Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Burger King veggie pattie

Default Burger King veggie pattie

Out of curiosity I went to Burger King's website to see if their veggie burgers have egg whites in them. Not only egg whites but milk Here's the list from their website. No more BK burgers for me.

Vegetables (Mushrooms, Water Chestnuts, Onions, Carrots, Green Bell Peppers, Red Bell Peppers, Black Olives), Textured Vegetable Protein (Soy Protein Concentrate, Wheat Gluten, Water for Hydration), Egg Whites, Cooked Brown Rice (Water, Brown Rice), Rolled Oats, Corn Oil, Calcium Caseinate, Soy Sauce (Water, Soybeans, Salt, Wheat), Onion Powder, Corn Starch, Salt, Hydrolyzed Corn, Soy, and Wheat Protein, Yeast Extract, Natural Flavors from non-meat sources, Sugar, Soy Protein Isolate, Spices, Garlic Powder, Dextrose, Jalapeņo Pepper Powder, Celery Extract. Contains: Soy, Wheat, Milk and Egg. This is NOT a vegan product. The patty is cooked in the microwave.
    Looked online and found that Calcium Caseinate is synthesized from dried skim milk. grrrrrrrr.
    Everything I eat has its beginnings in a seed.

Default Re: Burger King veggie pattie

why would you even want to set foot in BK let alone consider eating anything from there?
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

canadian veggie burgers dont have any animal products.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

We stopped there on the way up to Montreal this past weekend. It was really nasty! Thank God I was prepared and had gone to Whole Foods before we left and so I ate my salad and apple
    "An outside enemy exists only if there is anger inside."
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

Quote Mr Flibble

why would you even want to set foot in BK let alone consider eating anything from there?
    I used to think the veggie burgers and onion rings were decent. Well I think the onion rings still are decent (minus the sauce since the onion ring sauce has eggs in it) since they don't fry any meat in the same oil as the onion rings. But that veggie burger is on my history list. I respect that Burger King is the ONLY fast food chain that at least tries to cater to the non-meat eating crowd. So I was trying to give them some business.

giving burger king business for trying to cater to the non-meating crowd makes about as much sense as supporting hitler for granting immunity to a handful of jews. dumb logic, don't do it. all fast food chains should be burned down to the ground.

I see the logic in what you are saying. (Can we please not burn Taco Bell ) I do wonder if having veggie burgers on the menu increases awareness of not eating meat. The more people see non-meat options the more I would think it becomes mainstream.

Burger King went to veggie burgers I was told because of the popularity of the meatless whopper. Which I used to eat years ago before they created the veggie burger. I was hoping other fast food chains would follow suit but none have and I'm not sure why.

But since I can't eat Burger King's veggie burger that's just one less eating out option.

Stu

It's an interesting argument.

I mean, should I stop buying things from my local corner shop, supermarket and even health food shop, because they sell animal products etc?

I can see the logic in the argument that if you buy 'good' products from big companies, you are influencing them positively because such products then account for a larger proportion of what they sell, and it may lead to them placing a greater emphasis on such products.

I'm not necessarily saying this is my opinion, but it's certainly a valid argument.

Quote Stu

I can see the logic in the argument that if you buy 'good' products from big companies, you are influencing them positively because such products then account for a larger proportion of what they sell, and it may lead to them placing a greater emphasis on such products.
    That's kind of what I'm thinking. I think it's awesome that an impact can be made in the fast food industry by non-meat eaters. But I do see what Rid The Cancer is saying. Fast Food chains sells tons of meat a year. I guess the bigger question is how much of an impact is the non-meat eating population having on fast food?

Not sure considering no other fast food chain has followed Burger King.

I've stopped eating onion rings and other batter dipped goodies because I suspect that they contain eggs or milk. I see a lot of "buttermilk batter" so I just assume. Shame for the fried mushrooms and zuchini though. Also a shame about the Burger King burgers, but I'm glad I found out here before I tried one.
    Does anyone know if Subway's Veggie Pattie/ Monster Burger is vegan?
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

Quote Haniska
    I've stopped eating onion rings and other batter dipped goodies because I suspect that they contain eggs or milk. I see a lot of "buttermilk batter" so I just assume.
    I never thought about that

This is what I've found on BK onion rings. Not sure if there's animal products are not. I'm questioning the gelatinzed wheat starch and the calcium chloride. I'll have to research these.

Rehydrated Onion, Bleached Wheat Flour, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Water, Yellow Corn Flour, Sugar. Contains 2% or less of each of the following: Gelatinized Wheat Starch, Corn Starch, Calcium Chloride, Modified Food Starch, Methyl Cellulose, Salt, Fructose, Guar Gum, Sodium Alginate, Dextrose, Yeast, Sodium Bicarbonate, Glucano Delta Lactone, Sodium Tripolyphosphate, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Sodium Aluminum Phosphate, Partially Hydrogenated Cottonseed Oil, Natural† and Artificial Flavors, Grill Flavor, Garlic Powder, Hydroxypropyl Methyl Cellulose, Sorbitol. †Natural flavors from plant sources. Contains Wheat.

I think there are enough "meat reducers" and kids who want to be veggie but have to eat out with their omni parents to keep the big fast food chains going with their veggie options, without people who have doubts about supporting them making an effort. I guess this will sound condescending but I think we're in a very small minority of people who actually consider where our food is coming from and I doubt our business will make any difference one way or the other.

If a company makes an effort to mark something vegan then I will probably try it, but if you have to ferret around for information, and they don't respect vegans enough to make it easy for us, then I won't bother.
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

I hate burger king they have the worst commercials on top of being a shitty company. I like Amy's veggies burgers. Dont eat Chili's Veggie burgers either coz they also use egg!
    "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."

*shrugs* i think the veggie burgers are really good. so are the onion rings.

I thought the Onion rings used egg in the batter?

Quote UrbanVegan
    I never thought about that

This is what I've found on BK onion rings. Not sure if there's animal products are not. I'm questioning the gelatinzed wheat starch and the calcium chloride. I'll have to research these.
    You must tell me where you find these things!

Quote maya
    I hate burger king they have the worst commercials on top of being a shitty company. I like Amy's veggies burgers. Dont eat Chili's Veggie burgers either coz they also use egg!
    Does anyone know about Ruby Tuesdays veggie burgers? I assume the buns aren't vegan though

mango woman

I would never EVER trust any burger king anywhere near me. Then again, i only trust one group of people other than myself to make food for my consumption.. and i've gotten the 100% vegan reassurance so it's all good. I wish i could trust somewhere that makes something other than pizza.

Quote Haniska
    You must tell me where you find these things!
    Well I found at this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calcium_chloride
    that calcium chloride is added to food to give it a salty flavor without increasing the sodium. It is also used in cement, plastic, drainage aid for wastewater treatment. And here is a whopper of a statement.

Calcium chloride is an irritant; wear gloves and goggles to protect hands and eyes; avoid inhalation.
    Although calcium chloride is relatively safe to handle, care should be taken that it is not ingested. Calcium chloride reacts exothermically with water and can burn the mouth and esophagus.

I do occasionally go to non-vegan fast food places, mostly "mexican" places, though (La Salsa, Wahoo etc.) as long as I can be assured (see with my own eyes) that they don't grill the veggies with the meat and don't use lard or chicken broth in their beans and rice. It's sad to say, but I do trust big chains more with this than the taco stand around the corner. I know when I go to for example La Salsa that their policy is not putting lard in their beans and it applies to their ALL locations.
    "Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends". ~ George Bernhard Shaw.

the onion rings in canada dont use eggs. its different in all countries though.

I went to Australian subway and the manager came and told me it was vegan. Tasted horrible though. Too 'fast foody' for me.

Quote UrbanVegan
    So what? Most things we eat and need in our diets are very bad for us in large quanties (including water!). Here's some examples of quoting small chunks of wikipedia to produce misleading statements about perfectly normal things:

Quote http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnesium
    One should wear safety glasses while working with magnesium.
    Quote http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niacin
    Niacin is toxic to the skin and liver
    Quote http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetic_acid
    Concentrated acetic acid is corrosive and must therefore be handled with appropriate care, since it can cause skin burns, permanent eye damage, and irritation to the mucous membranes. These burns or blisters may not appear until several hours after exposure. Latex gloves offer no protection, so specially resistant gloves, such as those made of nitrile rubber, should be worn when handling the compound. Concentrated acetic acid can be ignited with some difficulty in the laboratory. It becomes a flammable risk if the ambient temperature exceeds 39 °C (102 °F), and can form explosive mixtures with air above this temperature (explosive limits: 5.4%–16%).
    Perhaps you need to be more concerned about putting vinegar on your vegan fries on a hot day

fast food, slow death
    I agree with Rid the cancer...
    p.s. did you take the name from a disrupt song?

Quote Tray
    fast food, slow death
    I agree with Rid the cancer...
    p.s. did you take the name from a disrupt song?
    yup, got it from disrupt. nice amebix avatar!

Quote Haniska
    I've stopped eating onion rings and other batter dipped goodies because I suspect that they contain eggs or milk. I see a lot of "buttermilk batter" so I just assume. Shame for the fried mushrooms and zuchini though. Also a shame about the Burger King burgers, but I'm glad I found out here before I tried one.
    Does anyone know if Subway's Veggie Pattie/ Monster Burger is vegan?
    Subway's veggie patties aren't vegan in the US, at least. My girlfriend works there, and, apparently, they use Morningstar veggie burgers, which contain egg whites. Also, the wheat bread that I thought was vegan actually is not. It contains some sort of dried honey powder or something. I believe the regular, white Italian bread is vegan, though.

Blah. Thanks Chickendude. I'm in VA too btw, Central.

One this though, the one that I have received are oblong, not your standard veggie burger. Is that what they use where she works?

Default Regicide

I agree with many others here who say don't support Burger King. There is no reason to trust burger joints like Burger King, McDonald's or Johnny Rocket's, even if they carry a so-called "veggie" burger. Burger King and Johnny Rockets both have disclaimers that state nothing, nothing, and nothing on the menu suitable for vegetarians. And how many times has it turned out that McDonald's has outright lied about it's own products being vegetarian. I wouldn't even get a cup of ice water from these places. A student in Florida found that these fast food restaurants had higher levels of fecal bacteria in the ice than in the toilet bowls !

If I have it my way -- as the jingle goes -- the monarch of meat and it's kingdom would fall.
    The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than black people were made for whites or women for men. —Alice Walker

Default Re: Regicide

no, theyre not vegan in the US.

people will complain if there arent veggie burgers and people will complain if there are.

According to what I've read, the Burger King patties have eggs in them And when I looked up Subway, they didn't have the "burgers" listed, so I emailed them and they said they didn't serve them anymore Ruby Tuesday's told me that if you order their veggie burger w/o cheese and mayo, it is vegan--including the bun. The person who emailed me also said that the fries were made in the oil where chicken fingers are, so they're not vegan.
    When you are guided by compassion and loving-kindness, you are able to look deeply into the heart of reality and see the truth.--Thich Nhat Hanh

I like what tray said, except for the fact that it's not a slow death. consuming enough of the stuff found in fast food will equal a quick and painful death--anyone seen supersize me? some of the ingredients in the onion rings could be unvegan becuase I've read several sources that say modified food starch is not vegan, and truthfully, if the ingredients include things you can't pronounce or processes you can't understand, it's probably best to avoid it anyway.
    Peace Love Surf.

Quote Tray
    fast food, slow death
    it's taken me years of de-programming my brain to not go to fast food restaurants. nowadays, i don't even think about it.

those onion rings are evil!

meh, i like fast food once in a while.

Yeah, like Subway!
    Peace, love, and happiness.

mmm subway! or new york fries. or veggie burritos, etc. etc. etc. lol.

Last night I went to Pasta Luna in Richmond. After reviewing the menu I asked if any of their sauce were meat free. Then of course I had to add "dairy free". She pointed a dish out for me which I ordered, which had meat in it...
    I felt really bad and I think that I will avoid red sauce altogether now. This has happened to me before at Olive Garden. I don't believe that I will order anything anymore that isn't expressly vegan. I hate when I get an order mix up. The meat just gets thrown away as if I had killed and eaten it myself

Quote foxytina_69
    mmm subway! or new york fries. or veggie burritos, etc. etc. etc. lol.

They don't have a New York fries or Taco Bell here!
    Peace, love, and happiness.

its taco time here that i go to. their veggie burritos are vegan (when you say no dairy)

Well that's handy to know. I've never eaten at Taco Time before.

I have never heard of Taco Time, but even when I was veggie, I didn't eat fast food.

As a kid, my mom never fed it to us unless we were travelling somewhere, and then we only got to have it if there was no where else to stop and eat, or if we didn't have time to stop and eat.

It just never occurs to me to eat at those places. I am much more likely to stop at a grocery store and buy something, or get something at a quickie mart.

I do like Subway though, and they are in lots of quickie marts/gas stations here.

I am one of those people who always packs a snack too, whenever I go in the car somewhere. LOL.

the veggie burrito comes in a whole wheat tortilla, but just make sure they put it in that because its the only vegan one. also, you can get guacamole in place of the dairy. other than that its just mexican rice, refried beans, salsa and lettuce.

And the guacamole is vegan right? I know a lot of places make their guac Tex-Mex style and put sour cream or some other kind of dairy in it.

yes. but i suppose some restaurants could make theirs different? the one i go to said it didnt have dairy. it definitely doesnt taste like dairy! it tastes the same as the yucatun brand.

you can also get mexi fries with it. its really yummy!

LOL! Stop it - you're making me hungry!

LOL sorry roxy!

What are mexi fries? I see you eat those sometimes Foxytina, and I always wondered what they were...

Are they like nachos only with fries instead of tortilla chips?

mexi fries are just tater tots. do you know what tater tots are?

cvC

"Quote:
    Vegetables (Mushrooms, Water Chestnuts, Onions, Carrots, Green Bell Peppers, Red Bell Peppers, Black Olives), Textured Vegetable Protein (Soy Protein Concentrate, Wheat Gluten, Water for Hydration), Egg Whites, Cooked Brown Rice (Water, Brown Rice), Rolled Oats, Corn Oil, Calcium Caseinate, Soy Sauce (Water, Soybeans, Salt, Wheat), Onion Powder, Corn Starch, Salt, Hydrolyzed Corn, Soy, and Wheat Protein, Yeast Extract, Natural Flavors from non-meat sources, Sugar, Soy Protein Isolate, Spices, Garlic Powder, Dextrose, Jalapeño Pepper Powder, Celery Extract. Contains: Soy, Wheat, Milk and Egg. This is NOT a vegan product. The patty is cooked in the microwave."

Hydrolysed Vegetable Protein is, according to what's at the following link, another name for Monosodium Glutamate, which, without going through them all, I think is also likely to be in some of the other listed ingredients too. This is some of what the first article has to say about it:

"In hundreds of studies around the world, scientists were creating obese mice and rats to use in diet or diabetes test studies.

No strain of rat or mice is naturally obese, so the scientists have to create them. They make these morbidly obese creatures by injecting them with a chemical when they are first born. The MSG triples the amount of insulin the pancreas creates, causing rats (and humans?) to become obese They even have a title for the race of fat rodents they create: 'MSG-Treated Rats'."

"Even the propaganda website sponsored by the food manufacturers lobby group supporting MSG at http://www.msgfacts.com/facts/msgfact12.html explains that the reason they add it to food is to make people eat more. A study of elderly people showed that people eat more of the foods that it is added to. The Glutamate Association lobby group says eating more benefits the elderly, but what does it do to the rest of us?

'Betcha can't eat just one', takes on a whole new meaning where MSG is concerned!"

http://www.rense.com/general52/msg.htm

yes i know alot of people who are allergic to msg.

Quote cvC
    Hydrolysed Vegetable Protein is, according to what's at the following link, another name for Monosodium Glutamate
    It should be noted that that ingredient list is a US one, where the FDA requires that monosdium glutamate be labelled as such in ingredients listings. Thus the hypothesis that it contains it is most likely incorrect. MSG as it happens is a very common ingredient, and is as far as I know always derived from vegan sources.

Whether there is an argument against the healthiness of it or not however I'm sure many on this forum will disregard animal studies and object to them being quoted in/to support arguments.

Rense.com is notorious for publishing/producing scare mungering propoganda. There was a discussion a while ago on this forum about an article on it that using highly dubious 'science' claimed that microwaves change the properties of water.