Thread: Crock pot / slow cooker recipes

Question crockpot recipes

As some of y'all know, I use to homeschool my kids. But they're back in "regular school" now and cool weather is not too far off. Well, my kids come home with homework (which I have to help them with) and big appetites. By the time I help four kids with their homework, prepare dinner, get everyone bathed, etc., it's very late. It's really hard getting the kids to bed on time, and I NEVER get to bed before midnight, only to have to wake up again at 5:30. It's killing me!!

I need to just have dinner basically ready once the kids get home, but it takes me too long once I leave the house to pick the kids up and then actually get back home, so any food I've prepared has already got'n cold.

I'm thinking a crockpot should help me out a lot. I have a crockpot now ... but I don't know what to do with it!!

Could y'all share some recipes (or websites)? I tried surf'n for some recipes, but for some strange reason I didn't have much luck ... maybe the lack of sleep is affecting my surf'n skills right now!

Default Re: crockpot recipes

Ooooo ... I just found this link -- search "crockpot" and they've got some recipes listed.

But still feel free to share the recipes y'all like!!

Good sperm

If I want easy I do chunky soup. Basically take every vegetable in your cupboards, chop up (chunky), cook in veggie stock (which they'll add their own flavour to), add beans and/or rice and/or little pasta shapes, and leave to simmer. Serve with various breads or maybe a quick salad and there you go. I make enough to last about a week and it's super filling and super lazy

Thank you!! That sounds wonderful, plus it will help me use up those left-over veggies before they spoil.

ConsciousCuisine

Quote absentmindedfan
    If I want easy I do chunky soup. Basically take every vegetable in your cupboards, chop up (chunky), cook in veggie stock (which they'll add their own flavour to), add beans and/or rice and/or little pasta shapes, and leave to simmer. Serve with various breads or maybe a quick salad and there you go. I make enough to last about a week and it's super filling and super lazy

I do a similar thing but it lasts my family a mere 24 hours not a week!

ConsciousCuisine

My Sweetie's Mom just bought me a new crockpot...it is really great, a large portable model with a locking lid and a ladle that snaps on the top.

I have been using my crockpot to make herbal oils and such and so it's not really suitable for food cooking, so her gift is so appreciated! I am going to be teaching my daugther to make soups and stews in it

What a thoughtful gift!
    I'd love it if you posted some of your recipes here. I have only had my slow cooker for a few weeks and all I have made so far is some spicy lentils and a chickpea and veg curry.

ConsciousCuisine

It *was* a thoughtful gift! I used it for the Banana dessert at the New Year's catering gig and it was perfect!

I'll get it back from the party's host today and then I'll post recipes as I make them...in general I'd say just be creative by adding any veggies and beans/legumes you have about and spice accordingly

ooops, this thread was not what i thought it was going to be! i misread the title and thought it said 'crackpot' recipes.

ho hum

*mental note to self - learn to read*

ConsciousCuisine

HA! Crakpot recipes would be an interesting thread! Why not start one then, Cedar?

Rather a long time after the original request I'm afraid but this is a nice one that someone gave me years ago:

Vegetarian "Cassoulet" - crockpot

Serves 4

8 oz haricot beans , soaked overnight, then boiled for ten minutes.
    1 pint of boiling vegetable stock
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 clove of garlic, crushed
    1 large onion, sliced
    4 oz mushrooms, sliced
    4 sticks celery, sliced
    14 oz can tomatoes with their juice
    2 bay leaves
    1 level tsp dried basil
    4 oz red lentils

Put the slow cooker/crockpot on "high". Drain the beans and put the in the cooker with the stock. Fry the garlic, onion, mushrooms, celery in oil for 5 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients to the pan and bring to the boil. Stir and add to the slow cooker. Stir again, cover and cook for six to six and a half hours until the beans are cooked. (Presumably you could use a slightly lower heat and cook for a bit longer.) Season with salt and pepper and serve with crusty bread and salad.

Quote cedarblue
    ooops, this thread was not what i thought it was going to be! i misread the title and thought it said 'crackpot' recipes.

ho hum

*mental note to self - learn to read*
    That's funny!
    Did you come here looking for CRACKPOT RECIPES???

That's what we do, throw every vegetable in the house + various things out the store cupboard like rice, beans, lentils, tinned tomatoes, barley etc into a pot, put in vegetable stock and herbs and there you go, ready in half an hour, eat with wholewheat bread. It's very cheap too.
    Sometimes we make a curried version. It's one sure way to get all the vitamins and minerals you need without planning recipes - just chuck everything in.
    Last night we threw a bunch of watercress on top to serve - lovely.
    Anything to simplify life and stay out of the kitchen, I am far too busy to spend hours preparing food.
    Silent but deadly :p

Quote Jacqui
    That's funny!
    Did you come here looking for CRACKPOT RECIPES???
    seriously yes!!

thought it was a funny thread about daft and 'off-the-wall' recipes.

guess i figured there are enought crackpots on here to provide a few interesting ideas

Default Crock pot / slow cooker recipes

The next thing on my wish list is a crock pot/slow cooker, but I have never used one in my life! I remember my mum used to have one and used it for cooking roasts *bleurgh* and this does seem to be what many people use them for, so I am concerned that any crock pot recipe books out there will be full of meat recipes. Can anyone recommend a good cookbook which is veggie or vegan? Or better still, can you share any tips or recipes?

Default Re: Crock pot recipes

there are a lot of slow cooker recipes on vegweb...

i haven't tried any yet but plan too

Thanks Mophoto - love your avatar BTW, is that your dog?

thanks and yes, that is steve

funny, i was just wondering what yours was... rock formation and the sea?? very interesting

Cute dog, very very cute! He is gorgeous!
    My photo is a lighthouse near my parents' house on the Shetland Islands in Scotland - I saw the pattern on the wall and just couldn't resist. I shall go and look up those recipes now (anything to avoid working this morning)

Limey

*boost*

Because I'm looking for crockpot recipes as well. Not crackpot, though.

Does anyone have any tried and tested slow cooker recipes?

Im not the worlds worst cook but everything i have made so far has been bland or watery and definately lacking something.

Any help would be appreciated.

Im the same i throw all my leftovers in the frying pan with a bit of soya butter, peppers, mushrooms, carrotts, tomato, fry for ten mins then add vegetable stock, add beans, sweetcorn whatever you fancy! then i add a bit of tomato and basil sauce, or what ever sauce you have, a few herbs, then leave to simmer.. it always seems to turn out right lol
    Thats what i love about vegan cooking it always tastes great infact talking about it here makes me want to go and prepare something to take to work...

sugarmouse

lol i may sound daft but *what* is a crockpot??

Limey

Haha! I love that.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Default slow cooker

hello, im new here and I've just ordered myself a slow cooker from ebay and wondered if anyone had an amazing recipe for me to try , to get into the swing of it?
    Last edited by flutterby; Jan 2nd, 2007 at 07:19 PM. Reason: this was the 1st post in a similar thread

Default Re: Crock pot / slow cooker recipes

Hello Mer ... I don't really use my crockpot for many veggie recipes but here is one I do use it for:

Bean Bourgignon

2 tins borlotti beans
    3 carrots, sliced
    1 onion, diced
    2-3 cups of sliced mushrooms
    2 bay leaves
    2 tsp mixed herbs (thyme, rosemary etc.)
    About a cup of red wine and a cup of water
    1 T vegetable stock powder
    1/c cup pasta sauce
    2 T vegan cream
    gravy powder to thicken

Put the vegetables, stock powder, herbs and wine in the crockpot in the morning before going to work. Cook on low. About 30 mins before serving turn up to high and add the beans, pasta sauce. When heated through add the cream and thicken with some gravy powder mixed with a bit of water. Service with creamy mashed potatoes / brown rice or couscous and green veggies.

Default Re: Crock pot / slow cooker recipes

my crockpot and i are very much and love and have an active, healthy relationship. i love the Vegetarian "Cassoulet" recipe and I will be making a variation of it tonite. yes!