Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Quit smoking (encouragement thread)!

toma hawk

Red face Quit smoking (encouragement thread)!

hey fellas,

approaching you with a grave problemo. ok. here is the sit-rep. me and my partner have been together for three years and tis quite long for my lifestyle. she is a special lady and i think i don't want to be messing with her ways. here is something with a future and she knows this.

something has been churning my brains for a very long time. i am a heavy smoker. i have been smoking for nine years on and off. but now tis causing a rupture in my relationship. she wants me to quit. i know why she says that because we like eachother and she wants me to be healthy. she is a carnivore, but has promised to be a vegan soon. i do have tyo admit thats she is doing a giood job. recentlyu she even joined me for a few AR protests. she 's doing so many things for me, i feel there is a need to contribute constructively. i find it hard. but there is no compromise. she's the building block of my life. she's the means by which i understand care and passion.

guys'n' gals, i need to keep this relationship intact. she wants me to quit right now for health reasons. i know what shes saying but i lack motivation. i want to do it and am determined. need to start somewhere but where? resources on the internet are very intimidating.

do you guys have any tips to slowly stop smoking? HELP!!!! i thought this thread can be used by smokers around here to motivate eachother. Please don't flame me for admitting this and being so open. need help URGENT. honestly want to quit and mean it. there is no goin back. please pump logic into my brains, yer all. Maybe forming a team of smokers who want to quit be a good idea or what?

if you have any tips please post it here, or reach me on PM or e-mail steve_p_35@yahoo.com

thanks muchly in advance for the help.

Steve

Default Re: QUIT-SMOKING Encouragement thread

Hi Steve

I don't think there is a way to slowly quit. You just have to go for it. Problem is that if you smoke less or lighter cigarettes you end up smoking faster and dragging harder and still getting the same amount of nicotine, etc.

I never thought I would be able to quit - I'd never lasted even one day before.

My method was this:
    Step one was to stop smoking indoors. This helps to break some associations. I did this for about 8 months before I quit.
    Prior to quitting I changed to eating vast amounts of fruit and veg. Basically I was eating all day, but stuff that wasn't going to make me put on a stack of weight. I started this a few weeks before quitting.

Then I skipped the last two cigarettes of the night. So when I woke up the next morning I had already been a non-smoker for about 8 hours.
    Then I just had a day exactly the same as usual, including coffees in the smoking room - take a pack of cards to keep your hands busy.

Day one you will feel out of sorts, light headed, etc, it only lasts a day. If you last day one, it gets easier, although there will be some difficult moments.

Drink plenty of coffee, and eat plenty of fibre - smoking has a laxative effect, caffeine and fibre will help to keep things moving.

Take up a physical activity - you will have loads of energy and feel quite hyper, a bit of exercise will do wonders.

Follow your progress on a giving up smoking website - you will know exactly what to expect each day.

Hope some of that helps - if I can give up then I refuse to believe that there is anyone out there that can't manage it.
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

I quit a week after the smoking ban in Scotland. I couldn't smoke in the house and now couldn't smoke inside anywhere else so it made it alot easier.

First thing would be, make your home a smoke free environment, give the place a good clean and get rid of any ashtrays. Just make it the law of your home that it doesn't matter if it is pouring down with rain outside, you can't smoke in the house, not even in the kitchen or out of a window.

Next, choose a day to quit. I found the day before I actually smoke more rather than cut down and just enjoy it.

Next, quit, if you have to be in a smokey place, try to avoid it for a week or two. Practice saying "nah, I don't smoke".

Next, if you do smoke, it is not an excuse to start again. Since quitting in April I have had 3 cigarettes, 2 on a drunken night out, 1 shortly after quitting when incredibly stressed. Thing is I didn't buy any and I didn't want more afterwards.

Do something else, I find when I crave if I go for a jog on my treadmill I forget about it completely. Also, if you crave, take some slow deep breaths and wait 5 mins, the craving will go away.

My mum said this to me: when you crave, remember that is the worst that will happen. And it's so true, it doesn't escalate, you crave for a few mins, it goes away, the world is back to normal once again.

Try not to quit at a stressful time and just avoid smokers for a wee while if you can.

nervine

Quote Rob(QG)
    I don't think there is a way to slowly quit.
    I second that. The best way is to go cold turkey.

Quote Rob(QG)
    Drink plenty of coffee, and eat plenty of fibre - smoking has a laxative effect, caffeine and fibre will help to keep things moving.
    Alot of coffee is bad for the kidneys. I would advise to drink plenty of water instead.

You can do it mate. I did.

ps: about the cravings, there is no solution to that I'm afraid. I haven't touched a sig for about a year now but on rare occasions I still get cravings. You'll just have to bite your teeth and suck it up I'm afraid.

how crazy.... and perfect timing... i am quitting june first... terrified. i have never really tried to quit before and have been smoking since i was 16.

i have read to stock up on carrots, celery and Cinnamon sticks. the Cinnamon sticks have the feel of cigarettes. i hate Cinnamon but i will always have one with me to chew on. i think the carrots and celery are there so you can eat something without gaining a ton of weight.

i have also read to think of the main reason that you want to quit. mine is finding a new job--- and think of that reason when you have a craving. when you do have a craving take deep breaths....... i have been reading some meditation books..

i feel prepared, yet at the same time there is nothing to prepare you. i am just going to do this once.. i do not need to torture myself repeatedly. i have heard that you need to cut back before quitting but i can't. the more i think about june first, the more i smoke. i am already irritable.

i am prepared to embrace my psycho feelings.. i have had them already...
    i agree that cold turkey is the best way, but i bought nicotine lozenges just in case.
    the best thing is to pick a quit date and be prepared...

good luck to you...

I quit smoking six years ago after smoking for 20+ years. It was definitely a challenge, but - oh! - so worth it! It is so nice to smell nice - and have fresh breath! Back on track...There is a completely goofy book out there called "Alan Carr's Easy Way to Quit Smoking" or something along those lines. It is really goofy - but it also has great tips and reassurances and I found it so helpful to address all of the mind games you tend to put yourself on. And the one thing to remember - a craving will go away whether you smoke or not!. Best of luck!
    Everyone needs a little mercy.

thanks - i will have to look that up.. i feel more encouragement by people who are comical about the experience, then the books that outline medical problems. etc.

nervine

I think choosing a date to stop is kinda silly. The closer you'll get to that date the more you gonna think about it and you'll get scared. If you want to stop, just stop, right now.

oh no, that is way too hard.. i actually took thursday off work (my quit day) i am going to drink myself silly and smoke like a maniac on weds..

cant drinks as much afterwords, as a recovering non smoker

You'll be able to quit, believe me, but you need to motivate yourself to do it. And there are probably different motivational factors for each individual. For some it's avoiding pre-mature aging and for others it might be health.

It's funny, I never made a final decision to quit, but slowly wheened myself off cigarettes, and now I just don't feel like it anymore. I never felt healthy as a smoker and had a very low energy level, so just feeling better is a good enough reason for me to stay smoke-free. Being vegan and celebrate life in all forms (including yourself) also helps.
    "Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends". ~ George Bernhard Shaw.

toma hawk

Thanks everyone. We now have a forum for smoking quitters.

Quote Purplerose
    My mum said this to me: when you crave, remember that is the worst that will happen. And it's so true, it doesn't escalate, you crave for a few mins, it goes away, the world is back to normal once again.
    this is true IMO. resisting the craving is the big challenge. not thinking about your situation during craving would be a good choice but hard.

Quote mophoto
    i am quitting june first
    nice one mophoto. good luck.

Quote poppy seed
    I quit smoking six years ago after smoking for 20+ years. It was definitely a challenge, but - oh! - so worth it! It is so nice to smell nice - and have fresh breath!
    yes you said it buddy. funny my GF told me that the cig smell is a repeller. i know what she means. she hates cigs so the smell must be killing her. i always thought i had fresh breath when chewing gum, but she does not think so.

i just need to feel confident and you guys have made me feel good.

Quote Kiran
    Don't get me wong Steve Boy, but did she say she is gonna dump you if you din't stop smoking? Maybe she does not know how hard it is to stop immediately. She should give you time and not be so hard on you.
    yes kind of hinting, actually. but methinks she has the right to say so. she cares thats why. a bit extreme but i can feel what she experiences. her expectations of me are to live happily and healthy. there is nothing wrong in that.

kiran, i agree with you on the time front. but i need to quit fast to prove myself worthy of her and to be healthy. my health is too F****d up and tis high time i quit. so having a deadline is a good idea, IMO.

toma hawk

Quote poppy seed
    There is a completely goofy book out there called "Alan Carr's Easy Way to Quit Smoking"
    Thanks for this. dug out the following books from amazon.com

1.)

2.)

3.)

They have excellent reviews. I might try out the last one.

I found this website, particularly this section to be very useful. It gives you an idea of what to expect in the hours, days and weeks after you stop. Forewarned is forearmed and all that:

http://www.givingupsmoking.co.uk/stay_stopped/Expect/

toma hawk

Thnx for that Rob. A very useful resource indeed. Brill. I'm all geared up now.

cheers
    steve

toma hawk

Smokin updates!

**** Ahem **** removed the ash trays from the lounge as a first step. a move clearly appreciated by my GF. a reason to be happy then.

i have considered purplerose's suggestion of living in a smoke free environment. therefore i will try to bunk my smoking break sessions at office. also will try and stay away from my smoking couterparts at office when they smoke. i can't afford to cave in.

i still need loads of motivation as it seems too hard at the moment. trust me, i have been very hard on myself before. upto 10-15 cigs a day was certainly a poison that made me miserable everyday.

finding it hard. fingers crossed. somebody stop me.

thanks muchly
    steve

im a smoker too and have just recently found a new tobacco that is not only additive free but also organic so i dont need to feel guilty that it may not be vegan tho i hav been smoking American Spirit for ages which i was under the impression was vegan but its not organic whereas this new one is. Not very helpful in my need to give up smoking.
    i would love to give up and am definately gonna go for the the 'no smoking in the house' thing at least to start off with.
    ive read the books and tried the gum and patches and it all helps but not enuf for me at any rate so i will be rreading this thread avidly in the hope that someone will say somethink that finally sinks through the clouds of smoke in my head and stays there.

kriz: Being vegan and celebrate life in all forms (including yourself) also helps.
    that's a very good point kriz, thanx

I've been smoke-free since last October, and I think the most important factor in quitting smoking is your mindset. If you want to quit, you will, but if you don't want to quit, you won't. It's that simple. I tried quitting three or four times before it actually worked; the other times I was smoking again within days of "quitting", and I know for a fact that it was because I just wasn't that serious about it.

I loved smoking, and I got really irritable whenever boyfriends or relatives or non-smoking friends told me that they wanted me to quit. The first few times that I tried to quit were not because I wanted to quit, but because other people wanted me to quit, and I was just trying to please them. It wasn't until I told these other people to piss off that I was actually able to quit for the right reason... for myself.

It sounds to me like you're not quitting because you want to quit, but because your girlfriend wants you to quit. Now, I'm not saying that you absolutely won't be able to quit for her, but don't beat yourself up about it if it doesn't work immediately. If you find yourself smoking again after you've quit, sit down and think about all the reasons you don't want to smoke anymore, and think about what pushed you to smoke again. Then, you can try quitting again, maybe trying a different method than the last time (like using nicotine patches or gums or inhalers to help with your cravings), but I think your mindset is more important than any of these medicines.

When you're craving a cigarette, find something else to keep your hands busy with. If you're stressed out and craving a cigarette, just sit down and take deep breaths. I actually used to keep an unlit cigarette on hand, and when I had a craving, I would hold the cigarette and bring it up to my lips like I was smoking it, but I never actually lit it.

In any case, I hope you can kick the cigs. Your lungs and your wallet will definitely thank you.

^^^I would have found the unlit cigarette too much of a temptation - but I'm not a very tough cookie. I had to STAY AWAY from all smoking situations for a couple of weeks.

Good luck Toma Hawk! It might be tough at times, but it's nothing you can't stand. Just remember that it's a very powerful addicition, and you have to out-power it. You will go through withdrawl symtoms, but that's just your body cleansing itself of the accumulated poisins. And you might be one of the lucky ones who finds this to be fairly easy - I wish that for you!

Quote alekolu

I loved smoking, and I got really irritable whenever boyfriends or relatives or non-smoking friends told me that they wanted me to quit. The first few times that I tried to quit were not because I wanted to quit, but because other people wanted me to quit, and I was just trying to please them. It wasn't until I told these other people to piss off that I was actually able to quit for the right reason... for myself.
    good point alekolu, in fact thats a very good point!
    i think pressure from others just makes it harder to quit cos everyone is getting at u and that makes me just wanna go sit in a corner and smoke

If any of you want another reason to stop smoking, think of all the animal testing that is done because of smoking and smoking related diseases.

I can imagine that it is hard to give it up so the very best of luck to all of you! I'm sure you can do it!! A friend of mine gave up smoking a couple of months ago. She said that the first couple of weeks were the worst but now she feels much less anxious and has loads more energy.
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Quote rianaelf
    i think pressure from others just makes it harder to quit cos everyone is getting at u and that makes me just wanna go sit in a corner and smoke
    I have a confession to make. I did something wrong. I kept forcing one of my friends to quit smoking. The reason is I could not see him killing himself just for mere addiction. He had promised me that he will quit and everyday it just kept screwing my brains out. If you are a true friend, it is very hard to show a blind eye when your friend harms himself.

As I said, I was wrong to have a go at him for this issue. I am sorry about that. But I will be extremely delighted if he considers my caring words and acts on it ASAP. Because, I truly care.

People should just realise that it is a bad habit and smoking is a killer. I have a colleauge at office who says he has too much worries and so he smokes. If people must smoke if they have worries, the whole world will be smoking. Everyone must realise that having the will power to quit will surely work.

I don't hate smokers. But I hate smoking as a habit. Is disgusting to see someone knowingly commiting a slow suicide. Sometimes I wish that a pack of cigarettes must cost about $ 100 so it becomes a costly affair to smoke.

It can take time. But the eventual result must be a victory.

I wish the very best to everyone who wants to quit smoking. The decision is great and will be appreciated by your family and friends who love you. Also think about the many years you will live to enjoy life and to be with the people who can give happiness.

Quote rianaelf
    Being vegan and celebrate life in all forms (including yourself) also helps.
    Very good point, indeed!

Once again. All the best guys. Keep us updated and keep motivating each other.
    Life is like a boomerang: What goes around comes around - "Karma"rocks!

Quote Kiran
    I
    People should just realise that it is a bad habit and smoking is a killer...I don't hate smokers. But I hate smoking as a habit.

All the best guys. Keep us updated and keep motivating each other.
    While I agree with and appreciate most everything you said, Kiran, I don't agree with your stating that smoking is a habit. It really isn't, IMO. It's an addiction. And it's a very subtle and powerful one.

I remember thinking, when I was smoking, that it was nice to be able to leave a party/meeting/whatever for a few minutes, step outside and have a smoke. I told myself that I was "getting away " for a few minutes, getting some time to myself before I went back in to join my friends. The funny thing is, now that I don't smoke, I never have the "need" to step outside! It was the addiction talking, not some inner need for a reflective moment!

It really is nice not "having" to leave -a party, a dinner out, a meeting - to smoke. I do spend time on my porch, but now it's for getting some fresh air and watching the birds and not for feeding the nicotine addition.

And again - Good Luck Quitters! Keep us posted, and ask for support if you need it - it will be so worth it!

Quote poppy seed
    While I agree with and appreciate most everything you said, Kiran,
    Thanks

I don't agree with your stating that smoking is a habit. It really isn't, IMO. It's an addiction. And it's a very subtle and powerful one.
    Oh ok. Thanks again for correcting me. Smoking is an addiction and a very dangerous one too.

Quote rianaelf

kriz: Being vegan and celebrate life in all forms (including yourself) also helps.
    that's a very good point kriz, thanx
    The funny thing is that my husband, who's an omni and not into the vegan philosophy, told me that one. It really made me think what I was doing to myself.

I am SO committed to stay healthy as a vegan, and I don't want to ruin it with cigarettes - I want my body to absorb all minerals and vitamins properly.
    "Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends". ~ George Bernhard Shaw.

Quote Kiran
    If you are a true friend, it is very hard to show a blind eye when your friend harms himself.
    In relation to the quoted text, here is a comprehensive list of what one can do to help their friend stop smoking. (Thanks to brown.edu)
    • Tell your friend that you think he/she can make it this time - even if he/she has tried to quit before and failed. In fact, most smokers have to "practice" quitting a few times before they quit for good.
    • For the first few days after the smoker quits, be ready to help. He may want to talk all the time or he may just want extra help when a tough situation comes up, like a coffee break, a party or after a meal.
    • Offer to call or visit to check on how he/she is doing. Ask how he/she's feeling, not just whether or not he/she's still off cigarettes.
    • No nagging, scolding or preaching - this just does not work. Instead, let him know how much you admire him for trying to quit. Let him know that you care about him whether he quits or not.
    What other things can I do to help?
    • Give lots of praise and offer rewards for getting through a day, a week, or a month without smoking. Rewards can be simple - flowers, something to eat, a card.
    • Give rewards right away. Giving rewards right away works better than rewards promised for the future.
    • Offer to do things together like eating in a nonsmoking restaurant, going to a movie or for a walk.
    • Try to see it from your friend's side. He's not really sure he wants to quit. Cigarettes have been a steady friend for a long time. These feelings are normal even in smokers who succeed. Let him know you understand his doubts.
    I would like to share a few comments on the above list. Here is a point that concerns me..

No nagging, scolding or preaching - this just does not work. Instead, let him know how much you admire him for trying to quit. Let him know that you care about him whether he quits or not.

I admitted yesterday that I recently nagged and lectured my friend on how smoking harms him. The first time I knew that he smoked, I was very supportive although I was sad. He promised me that he will quit. He did not, but again the next time I came really hard on him. But yet again later I politely explained that I don't like him killing himself.

Recently, I started nagging him because I really care. I have no other alternative. I just don't get sleep in the nights because the thought of him killing himself is really shattering me daily. I know nagging is wrong. But whats the alternative??

I am exhausted.

Now here is another issue...

He's not really sure he wants to quit. Cigarettes have been a steady friend for a long time.
    This is the problem. Cigarettes have been a friend? How exactly? A killer friend? How hard is it to understand that life has many exciting things to offer and taking a slow poison as a temporary relief during tensions has terrible aftermaths?

He may not know that I really care for him. And I am not bothered about his opinions about me. But I want him to stay alive and live and love life to its fullest.

I am down, beaten, defeated, abused and not respected, but I will not give up.

Could I please request someone to guide me here? Please guys.

Thanks for the help.

Quote Kiran

I am exhausted.

He may not know that I really care for him. And I am not bothered about his opinions about me. But I want him to stay alive and live and love life to its fullest.

I am down, beaten, defeated, abused and not respected, but I will not give up
    Aw u poor thing u shouldn't suffer so much on account of someone elses problems. soundz like u hav been amazingly supportive and i'm sure he appreciates it even if it doenst seem like he does

Quote rianaelf
    Aw u poor thing u shouldn't suffer so much on account of someone elses problems. soundz like u hav been amazingly supportive and i'm sure he appreciates it even if it doenst seem like he does
    Thanks Riana.

Well I am not sure what he really thinks of me. Maybe he thinks I don't have the right to tell him what to do. Correct!!!! But I just want him to be happy and enjoy this beautiful life. I consider him as a friend.

The best thing to do would be give more time. I have run out of options.

The worst part is, often smokers treat their smoking friends as their true friends. One smoker usually does not condemn the other about his/her smoking addiction. So they usually bond very well. So when non-smokers offer advice and tell them to quit smoking, they are usually hated by the smokers. I have seen this.

Quote Kiran

The worst part is, often smokers treat their smoking friends as their true friends. One smoker usually does not condemn the other about his/her smoking addiction. So they usually bond very well. So when non-smokers offer advice and tell them to quit smoking, they are usually hated by the smokers. I have seen this.
    i don't know about that one! if the advice is given in a kind non-judgemental way then im sure most smokers appreciate it and are happy that their friendz care for them.
    i smoke but i dont love my smoking friendz more than my non-smoking friendz unless they are being all superior about it, eat lots of meat and dairy, drink loads and drive a big smelly car!!

Default Re: Quit smoking! (Encouragement thread)

actually i met up with one such non-smoking 'friend' just the other day. he had on a full length leather coat and sneered at my corduroy boots, saying his suede ones were far superior.
    then he called me dirty for smoking a tiny little rollup and that was only cos he spent the whole time we were together texting on his phone and ignoring me. that's the kind of person that makes me feel like smoking!!

toma hawk

Quote mophoto
    i am quitting june first
    hey Mophoto. tis june the 1st today. do you have a smokin update for us?

Thanks to surgeongeneral.gov

Useful FAQ's

Question: Why should I quit?

Answer: You will live longer and feel better. Quitting will lower your chances of having a heart attack, stroke, or cancer. The people you live with, especially children, will be healthier. If you are pregnant, you will improve your chances of having a healthy baby. And you will have extra money to spend on things other than cigarettes.

Question: What is the first thing I need to do once I’ve decided to quit?

Answer: You should set a quit date-the day when you will break free of your tobacco addiction. Then, consider visiting your doctor or other health care provider before the quit date. She or he can help by providing practical advice and information on the medication that is best for you.

Question: What medication would work best for me?

Answer: Different people do better with different methods. You have five choices of medications that are currently approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration:
    • A non-nicotine pill (bupropion SR).
    • Nicotine gum.
    • A nicotine inhaler.
    • A nicotine nasal spray.
    • Nicotine patch.
    The gum and patches are available at your local pharmacy, or you can ask your health care provider to write you a prescription for one of the other medications. The good news is that all five medications have been shown to be effective in helping smokers who are motivated to quit.

Question: Some of my friends and family are smokers. What should I do when I’m with them?

Answer: Tell them that you are quitting, and ask them to assist you in this effort. Specifically, ask them not to smoke or leave cigarettes around you.

Question: What kinds of activities can I do when I feel the urge to smoke?

Answer: Talk with someone, go for a walk, drink water, or get busy with a task. Reduce your stress by taking a hot bath, exercising, or reading a book.

Question: How can I change my daily routine, which includes smoking a cigarette with my breakfast?

Answer: When you first try to quit, change your routine. Eat breakfast in a different place, and drink tea instead of coffee. Take a different route to work.

Question: I like to smoke when I have a drink. Do I have to give up both?

Answer: It’s best to avoid drinking alcohol for the first 3 months after quitting because drinking lowers your chances of success at quitting. It helps to drink a lot of water and other nonalcoholic drinks when you are trying to quit.

Question: I’ve tried to quit before and it didn’t work. What can I do?

Answer: Remember that most people have to try to quit at least 2 or 3 times before they are successful. Review your past attempts to quit. Think about what worked—and what didn’t—and try to use your most successful strategies again.

Question: What should I do if I need more help?

Answer: Get individual, group, or telephone counseling. The more counseling you get, the better your chances are of quitting for good. Programs are given at local hospitals and health centers. Call your local health department for information about programs in your area. Also, talk with your doctor or other health care provider.

toma hawk

June 1st smokin update

at 12.30 BST only one mayfair cig since morning. that was too early in the morning. i can't take a dump in the loo without a cig. atleast not at the moment.

stayed away from smoking breaks and smokin colleagues when they smoked. my quota for today is tentatively expected to be 3 cigs overall as opposed to a 7-10 before.

giving cigs a boot feels so good. I'v tried real hard.

steve

Well done, toma hawk.

Mophoto, how're you doing????

Kiran, I think all you can do is be there to support your friend when/if he decides to give up. It is his choice and however hard we find it to watch our friends making mistakes, sometimes we just have to let them get on with it. I know that's hard.
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Quote toma hawk
    June 1st smokin update

at 12.30 BST only one mayfair cig since morning. that was too early in the morning. i can't take a dump in the loo without a cig. atleast not at the moment.

stayed away from smoking breaks and smokin colleagues when they smoked. my quota for today is tentatively expected to be 3 cigs overall as opposed to a 7-10 before.

steve
    Good for you! I cut down, too. It was easier for me than going cold turkey. I would smoke 1/2 or 1/3 a cig, put it out and save the rest for later. That way those two or three cigs really seemed to go far. I found it easy to further cut down from there.

Oh and, that dump issue? It'll go away. Drink lots of water, and eat your veggies!

Quote toma hawk
    June 1st smokin update

steve
    You keep going toma hawk and if you need to put a cigarette in your fingers then type on here instead!! x
    All of life is a dream walking
    All of death is a going home Chinese saying

Quote Kiran
    Cigarettes have been a friend? How exactly? A killer friend? How hard is it to understand that life has many exciting things to offer and taking a slow poison as a temporary relief during tensions has terrible aftermaths?

No offense, Kiran, but I think that you may be missing the point. You need to look at smoking from a smoker's point of view. For a lot of people, cigarettes are an outlet, something that will always be there when they are feeling down, in a bad mood, stressed out, whatever. Unlike a real person, cigarettes won't get mad at them, they won't nag at them, they won't make them cry... they won't do anything except be there to provide relief whenever they need it.

Granted, this "relief" is just because they are addicted, but psychologically, this isn't a big problem for most smokers. Smokers know that smoking is bad and that it is probably going to kill them, but again, from a smoker's point of view, that just isn't a big deal at the moment. Many smokers will try to justify this by saying things like:

"Smoking isn't going to kill me until I'm really old, and all old people have health problems anyway, so what's the point?"

"Everyone in my family dies before the age of 55 anyway, so smoking isn't going to make my health any worse than it already is."

"Smoking isn't really as bad as people make it out to be."

"I don't smoke as much as most people, so it's not a big deal."

Of course, looking at these now, I think we can definitely agree that they are all a big load of crap. But at this time last year, I was saying these things, too.

The problem is that, for smokers, smoking is a pleasurable experience, and they don't want to give it up. For some smokers, smoking is one of the only pleasurable experiences they have. Smoking is just like any other addiction, and you have to treat it just as delicately. Think about why people become addicted to substances. It's usually because they are unhappy or depressed, right? Do you think smoking is any different?

When I started smoking, I was an angsty teenager who pretty much hated everyone and everything. I had a crappy home life, a scummy boyfriend who cheated on me all the time, and friends who constantly lied to me. So, I started partying a lot, which means I was basically drinking and smoking every chance I got. Why? Because I wasn't happy, and I thought that alcohol and drugs might bring me some relief from my nightmarish life. So what if it killed me? Death had to be better than the life I was living. This was my mentality. I liked being addicted. I thought it was fun.

I eventually found some better friends and a nicer boyfriend and realized that life didn't have to be so crappy if I didn't want it to be, so I quit drinking heavily and stopped partying so much, but I kept smoking because it was the hardest thing to give up. It seemed so harmless compared to the alcohol--it didn't make me do things that I regretted, it didn't make me walk and talk funny, and it made me feel as though I was in control. "I can quit anytime I want to," I told myself, "but I don't because I don't want to." Of course, this was also a load of crap.

It is obvious that you care a lot about your friend, Kiran; otherwise, you wouldn't even bother worrying about his health. But you need to recognize that your friend isn't going to respond well to nagging. You need to understand that there are probably a lot of reasons for his smoking that you don't know about, and you need to try to put yourself into his shoes and think about how you would want to be treated in the same situation... and also think about how you would treat someone like you in this situation.

The best thing that you can do for your friend is be a friend to him. He already knows that you don't want him to smoke; nagging him about it isn't going to help your cause, and it may actually cause your friend to become annoyed by you and not want to be your friend anymore. Let him know that when and if he decides to quit, you will be by his side every step of the way, but don't force it on him. Maybe he will realize that smoking isn't the answer to his problems and quit, but maybe he will not, and you need to be prepared for this possibility. One of the most important things about true friendship is that it is unconditional; you may not agree with your friend smoking, but by no means should you let something like this bring your friendship to an end. If you are truly his friend, you need to support him in whatever he chooses for himself, because it is not up to you to make his decisions for him. It is his life, not yours.

Great Post Alekolu **** applauds *****

You are fab.. Brilliant post!!!

Quote alekolu
    No offense, Kiran,
    None taken..

Many smokers will try to justify this by saying things like:

"Smoking isn't going to kill me until I'm really old, and all old people have health problems anyway, so what's the point?"

"Everyone in my family dies before the age of 55 anyway, so smoking isn't going to make my health any worse than it already is."

"Smoking isn't really as bad as people make it out to be."

"I don't smoke as much as most people, so it's not a big deal."
    Yes all false statements just to self-brainwash and to provide lame excuses to smoke.

Of course, looking at these now, I think we can definitely agree that they are all a big load of crap.
    Agreed!

It is obvious that you care a lot about your friend, Kiran; otherwise, you wouldn't even bother worrying about his health.
    Yes I do. Thank you.!!

But you need to recognize that your friend isn't going to respond well to nagging. You need to understand that there are probably a lot of reasons for his smoking that you don't know about, and you need to try to put yourself into his shoes and think about how you would want to be treated in the same situation... and also think about how you would treat someone like you in this situation.

The best thing that you can do for your friend is be a friend to him. He already knows that you don't want him to smoke; nagging him about it isn't going to help your cause, and it may actually cause your friend to become annoyed by you and not want to be your friend anymore. Let him know that when and if he decides to quit, you will be by his side every step of the way, but don't force it on him. Maybe he will realize that smoking isn't the answer to his problems and quit, but maybe he will not, and you need to be prepared for this possibility. One of the most important things about true friendship is that it is unconditional; you may not agree with your friend smoking, but by no means should you let something like this bring your friendship to an end.
    I won't let this happen. I can fully support my mate as he has promised to quit. He knows the drawbacks, so hopefully I will get some good news from him.

If you are truly his friend, you need to support him in whatever he chooses for himself, because it is not up to you to make his decisions for him. It is his life, not yours.
    Quite right. I have heard this before. Its his life. My concience does not permit me from keeping quite when a damage happens to him right in front of my eyes.

if he wants to jump from a building and commit suicide on the basis that that it is his life, I am not going to keep quite. Rather, I will negotiate with him to stop him from killing himself. Smoking to me is a slow suicide, so I think I need to advice him appropriately.

Thanks.

Once again.. brilliant post Alekolu. Wise.!!

Hi. My boyfriend and I decided to quit smoking today! I have two cigarettes left in my pack, and then its cold turkey. This thread is a great idea, its so helpful to have something to look back on, especially if you slip. Good luck to all you quitters!

Why not quit with 2 cigarettes in your pack?

I quit with about 12 in my pack. And I carried them and a lighter with me for about 2 months.

Of course they would have tasted stale and disgusting after a couple of weeks - so if I had smoked them I would have hated them.

But carrying them around made me feel less vulnerable. I didn't get that horrible panicky feeling you get when you realize you have run out of ciggies and nowhere is open that sells them.

Quote Rob(QG)
    Why not quit with 2 cigarettes in your pack?

I quit with about 12 in my pack. And I carried them and a lighter with me for about 2 months..

I actually thought about that, but knew I would smoke them eventually, anyway. I was going to save one, just to NOT smoke it, but I probably would have already given in being so weak willed when it comes to cigarettes. But, that was hours ago, and I am now smoke free. If I last until this time tomorrow, I think I am home free.

toma hawk

good luck sliate1. give yourself a pat on the back.

going well so far, also getting support from office colleagues. just smoked 2 today.

toma hawk- that is so great, seems like you just went from just pondering the idea to really making some big changes...

sliate1- excellet job and good luck

i quit yesterday, i took the day off and was afraid to get out of bed. but it went way better than i had expected... for the past week or so before i quit i had been so worried about quitting that i would literally get anxious everytime i had a cigarette, i think this was beneficial in my quitting. i was able to talk about my concerns with my sister and friends who are quitting, too. we just scared each other into thinking it would be so hard, that is was just the opposite (for me at least). i didn't even use my nicotine lozenges, my sister has been living on them though...

i decided that i was just going to roll with whatever emotion came out of me.. i had one crying attack that lasted a half an hour, i am sure there will be many more to come
    it seems very surreal, not smoking. i can't explain it. i have smoked for 14 years and was up to 20-40 cigs a day, 60 if i was out at the bar late and then on the computer

physical symptoms have been some dizziness, tiredness and i woke up quite a few times last night all sweaty maybe i have so much nicotine in me it will take year to come out

i have heard the 3rd day is the worst... i guess i will find out....

i think what has helped me the most is that i really wanted to quit (although i wouldn't mind havng a cigarette right now), for the first time in my life...
    and everyone was finally off my back about quitting, i didn't want anyone taking credit for my accomplishment---- sorry kiran, but that's how i feel.

Well done everyone. Keep it up and keep us updated.

Quote mophoto
    i didn't want anyone taking credit for my accomplishment---- sorry kiran, but that's how i feel.
    Agreed.. Well done mophoto... You have just been gifted with many more years to enjoy and to lead a life with your loved ones.

I like your spirit. Congrats.!! You are truly determined. WOW!!! Thanks for setting an example.

Quote alekolu

The best thing that you can do for your friend is be a friend to him. He already knows that you don't want him to smoke; nagging him about it isn't going to help your cause, and it may actually cause your friend to become annoyed by you and not want to be your friend anymore. Let him know that when and if he decides to quit, you will be by his side every step of the way, but don't force it on him. Maybe he will realize that smoking isn't the answer to his problems and quit, but maybe he will not, and you need to be prepared for this possibility. One of the most important things about true friendship is that it is unconditional; you may not agree with your friend smoking, but by no means should you let something like this bring your friendship to an end. If you are truly his friend, you need to support him in whatever he chooses for himself, because it is not up to you to make his decisions for him. It is his life, not yours.
    I agree.
    I know people that drink and smoke way to much and i hate seeing it. I would like to say something to them but i know how much my words would upset them so i keep it inside. It does not mean i dont love them or i dont care about what they are doing to themselves but i just feel its not my place to say anything. I know both of these people suffer from depression and it is there way of coping. I know one of them suffers from a lot of pain and using drinking as an excuse to cope with the pain. It is not the right way by any means but it is there way. They are adults who are in there late 50s so how can i turn around and tell them what they should and shouldnt be doing with there life. Some may say i am wrong and should say something but i just cant bring myself to say something to a grown adult who can make there own choices even if they are wrong.

Quote Kiran

Nagging them is wrong. Puffin, if you were a true friend you won't keep quite. Is the same concept as advicing someone you love. When people go wrong, its your duty to advice them

If you love them, you need to say to them that it is good to quit. Guide them and stand by their side.

You don't care? Puffin, you don't care about friends commiting suicide? You can advice them. Or else, when they choke blood and die of lung cancer, you will certainly regret for having kept quite.
    Im sorry Kiran but how dare you question my love for these people. These are people i look up to and respect more than anyone, people who have done more for me than any adult has ever done for me. These are people who have been better parents than mine could ever be.

No i will not regret keeping quite, they have chosen there own path in life and it is not mine to question.

You said i dont care...........im sorry kiran but your words have offended me deeply.

Quote Kiran
    Don't you have the right to stop him from killing himself.
    I don't think anyone has the right to do that. We can try and help our friends but if they truly don't want to live anymore, it has to be their choice. I believe that is the only true choice we have in this life. It's great you care so much about your friend, Kiran, but you can't control him.

Puffin, don't be upset. I don't think Kiran meant his words the way you took them. xx
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Kiran
    Well everyone is different. I am unique. I will not tolerate my friend killing himself. I love him and I want him. Simple.
    Well i dont like seeing it myself Kiran but as i said i have no say in the matter. They love me for all my mistakes and i will love them for theres. I know for sure that they will never give up. One of them smokes 60 plus a day. I hate to see it but as i said they are adults.
    Would you tell a family member who you look up to, who has done so much for you, who would get upset with you for even mentioning it? I wouldnt and couldnt.

Quote Kiran

You say they love you. And you too love them. So I was hoping if there is anything you could do to stop them from killing themselves. So you both can enjoy the presence of each other for a long time.
    No can do. If i said something it would offend them. I know that for sure. They wouldnt listen to me anyway. Who am i to tell them what they can and cant do. They know the dangers of smoking and drinking, they are not stupid so how will my comments make them think about what they are doing?

Well if that is the case Puffin there is only some much you can do. I dont agree with my parents at all but there is only so much I can say....you still gotta have some kind of respect.
    "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."