Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Quit smoking (encouragement thread)!

Default Re: Quit smoking! (Encouragement thread)

I've given mys elf a stop date of March 1st and am leaving little messages for mys elf all over the place to remind me why I want to quit, like:

Don't Say Stop Smoking Say Start Living

and:

You're not giving up you're trying

and:

You don't need a smoke you need a breath of fresh air

Think that's going to help?
    holding onto the dream that we imagined and painted forever more: elvinridge.co.uk

i'm not sure that would work for me. but its extremely positive! i don't know what will work for me...good luck!
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

I'm working with cancer patients...will never smoke again hoping I can finally open my mums eyes too.

I saw one of my grandmothers go through a triple bypass and another die of throat cancer...isn't stopping me unfortunatly, but i'm dumb.

Well I did manage to stop on 1st March then I started again then I stopped then I started all the way thru March
    what a silly!!!

Finally I invested in a Paul McKenna book that comes with a CD
    It's called 'Quit Smoking Today without gaining weight' but there's not much about the weight thing just the smoking.

He has a great approach totally different from any other one I've tried.
    Doesn't say a thing about quit days or hide your ashtrays or anything like that just lots of kind gentle encouragement and lots of exercises to do.

You have to listen to the CD once a day for at least two weeks.
    I've been listening to it twice a day. sometimes I actually fall asleep whilst listening which isn't exactly what ur sopposed to do but nevertheless I'm sure it goes in somehow and now with the help of the book, some herbal remedies (Lobelia) some Jan De Vries 'craving essence' and a liberal sprinkling of Boots nicotine chewing gum (vegan) I've managed not to smoke now for 2 and a half days!
    That, for me, is absolutely amazing tho am still getting some serious cravings mixed with milder ones that are much easier to overcome.

My son smokes and I have told him not to let me have any of his no matter how much I beg him and beg him i have but he hasn't given in, lol!!

I shall update this post in a day or so see if I've still managed to keep off and if so then i thoroughly reccomend that book with the CD, cost me £10.99 which I think is good for a book and a CD
    holding onto the dream that we imagined and painted forever more: elvinridge.co.uk

Well done rianaelf!

I haven't posted on this thread in a few years, and have been smoking riduculous amounts in that time, 20-30 a day. Have decided to quit and so far haven't had any today. I got these herbal cigarettes that are nicotine free, and they're absolutely disgusting anyways, so haven't had many of them. But feel okay so far 'tis early days, but I really really really want to quit

thankx kasitera

Well tomorrow shall make one week during which I have had 4 tiny rollups - not my own, I couldn't have any tobacco of my own cos I know I would smoke it!!

So not 100% but am still pleased with only 4 in a week.

Just have to stay away from friendz with rollups

I've tried herbal cigarettes, yeah they are disgusting

I wish you the best of luck and now, after this week, would most definately recommend that book and CD.

It's really helped me enormously

RubyDuby

how are you doing rianelf and kasitera?
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

I quit this last October, after smoking for 6 years. I've had about 4 cigs since then, so I think I'm doing pretty great! It's just hard when it comes to drinking, and I'm hanging out with people who still smoke, so I've cut down on drinking a whole lot as well.

BlackCats

^ Well done Psych3.

How are you doing Ruby Duby?

I have smoked about 12 cigarettes this year after stopping completely at the end of last May. I know 12 isn't that bad but I don't know why I started again at all. It just gives me the taste for them and then makes it harder to resist next time.

RubyDuby

good job both of you!

I haven't started back. I've had probably 6 or 7 since February. The last one was just a few weeks ago and I hadn't had a craving in awhile before I smoked it. I don't know why I let myself and I had some serious cravings after that, like you said bc.

I think I'm done for good.

BlackCats

Well done Ruby.

I never really mentioned that I smoked on here before (surprise!). But anyway, somedays I want to quit and somedays I do not. I normally smoke about half a pack a day, sometimes more, sometimes less. Some days I can chain smoke 2, 3, 4, 5 cigarettes in a row if I'm having a cup of tea/coffee and chatting with friend(s). Since Sunday I've only had 5 or 6 cigarettes. But I have the flu or cold or something, so that's why. But I'm feeling better today, just a little congested, and I'm back to wanting to smoke a lot again.

I buy my cigarettes in cartons, so I have two and half packs left plus a multitude of half smoken cigarettes lying around. I keep telling myself, "Once I'm done of this carton, I'll quit for good." But I always end up buying more the second I run out. Not really good.

I'm sort of disillusioned by all the negative health affects. I haven't really experienced any. I'm not phlegm-y at all. I don't hack up things in the morning. When I exercise, I lose my breath eventually but just like a normal, non-smoking, sorta out of shape person. My teeth or fingers aren't yellow. My skin is still very nice. I may not have a lot of money but I don't have very many expenses, so buying smokes isn't breaking my bank (therefore I don't feel like smoking is wasting my money). Maybe it's just because I'm young.

Peace, love, and happiness.

cobweb

^ i'm pretty sure it is because you're young, TL. I started smoking when i was 12 and was on 20 a day by the time i was 13. It wasn't hard, my parents used to have tons of cartons lying around, plus i earnt my own cash by then.

I didn't really notice the negative effects for at least 10 years, but when you give up you REALLY notice how good that feels!.x

leedsveg

I really admire people who manage to give up smoking because I can see that nicotine is such a powerful drug. I'm lucky in that when I tried smoking 50 years ago, I very quickly, for whatever reason, gave it up, without fully getting into it. To anybody thinking of giving it up, good wishes, I realise that it's not an easy path but I'm 110% with you in spirit!

leedsveg

You should try giving up when you have plenty of cigarettes left. That way you won't feel quite so vulnerable.

Give up a few hours before bed. When you wake up you've already been given up for 10 hours or so, which is a good base to build on. Have plenty of stuff to munch on. Carrots, grapes, sugar snap peas, but also crisps and chocolate if necessary. Anything is better than a cigarette!

Carry a half empty pack of cigarettes around. After a few days/weeks, if you were tempted to smoke on, it would be nasty and stale.

I used to get all the colds going, and every time it went to a chesty cough (and I'd still want to smoke between hacks). Not had one cough, and the average cold is a few sneezes and a runny nose for one day, since I gave up.

Quote Tigerlily View Post
    I never really mentioned that I smoked on here before (surprise!). But anyway, somedays I want to quit and somedays I do not. I normally smoke about half a pack a day, sometimes more, sometimes less. Some days I can chain smoke 2, 3, 4, 5 cigarettes in a row if I'm having a cup of tea/coffee and chatting with friend(s). Since Sunday I've only had 5 or 6 cigarettes. But I have the flu or cold or something, so that's why. But I'm feeling better today, just a little congested, and I'm back to wanting to smoke a lot again.

I buy my cigarettes in cartons, so I have two and half packs left plus a multitude of half smoken cigarettes lying around. I keep telling myself, "Once I'm done of this carton, I'll quit for good." But I always end up buying more the second I run out. Not really good.

I'm sort of disillusioned by all the negative health affects. I haven't really experienced any. I'm not phlegm-y at all. I don't hack up things in the morning. When I exercise, I lose my breath eventually but just like a normal, non-smoking, sorta out of shape person. My teeth or fingers aren't yellow. My skin is still very nice. I may not have a lot of money but I don't have very many expenses, so buying smokes isn't breaking my bank (therefore I don't feel like smoking is wasting my money). Maybe it's just because I'm young.

"Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

BlackCats

I think the negative effects of smoking take a good few years to kick in unless you smoke really heavily. I know most people who have smoked for a few decades mostly have to scrub the yellow stains off their fingers daily and have really bad coughs due to smoking. I'm sure smoking is why I got a chest infection this winter as I have never had anything like that before. (I know all this and yet I smoked 12 cigarettes this year, how ironic!)

No, I am really determined not to smoke anymore.

I love that advice Pob! Thanks so much!
    Peace, love, and happiness.

BlackCats

I have been smoking on and off since I said I wasn't going to smoke again. I am really annoying myself.

I hope others are doing better than I am with giving up. How are you doing Ruby Duby?

^ me too, its the stress. i need something healthy to replace it.

BlackCats

^ I'm not even stressed, I just keep smoking when I've had a drink. I've thrown away the remaining ones today though.

RubyDuby

good idea bc! i hope it works for you!

I have completely quit. About a month ago I had a serious craving one night (while drunk) and actually smoked a nasty old butt from my car's ashtray . Other than that I've stuck to it.

I quite smoking, I hope for good. I kept quitting then restarting this year, it was kind of frustrating. My weakness is having a smoke when I drink, because it is way to easy to continue smoking the next day.
    When I end up buying a pack of cigarettes when I drink, I can't bring myself to throw them away! Then I make pathetic excuses to keep smoking until the pack is finished. Its disgusting.
    I cut down on my drinking, and last time I had a drink or two, I didn't smoke. So hopefully I won't ever smoke again, but only time will tell.
    Anyways, good luck everyone with not smoking.

Hi everyone out there! This is my very first post on the vegan forum I decided to join because I am on day 4 of quitting smoking I found this website by accident. I was searching the web for ways to cope with not smoking and typed in a hail-mary...quit smoking vegan. And this site popped up:smile: I was very excited! I read the quit smoking thread for over 3 hours. You guys had some very helpful tips. And it was really nice to know that there are people out there who are going through the same thing I am. Which is rare! Not just because I am quitting smoking but because I am a vegan. I live in ohio and I seem to be surrounded by omni's. Almost all of whom do not understand why or even want try to accept me for "ME". I feel alienated at times. But I am so thankful for my wonderful family, my awesome boyfriend, and of course my two beautiful puppy dogs (who never ever place one single thread of judgment on me) Now I have one more thing to be thankful for....I have an outlet. A community of people just like me who understand why I don't eat meat, or why soy milk is just better, or why I don't buy wool sweaters, or why organics are a valuable asset to all of our lives, and why all sentient beings should be treated with the same respect and loving compassions as the next (no matter what species). So thank you to all of you out there...for being you! And for making yourselves available to people like me...YOU ROCK

leedsveg

Hi ecovegan

Non-smoker myself but good luck to you and others on VF trying to give up 'the weed'. It must be very difficult and you have my full admiration and support.

lv

Lorrs and Pob have got it! Each small step that you take in the right direction helps achieving the end result:smile: I am on day 4 I set my quit date for the day I got my teeth cleaned at the dentist. I figured it was a good day because my teethers are nice and pretty...why muck them up all over again I am using the patch and gum, for those really stressful moments and after I eat (this helps a great deal bc I really enjoyed "those after dinner mints"). I also found an herbal tea that is composed of herbs and flowers, that helps with stress and agitation. It is titled "Calming Energy"....PERFECT!!! Lorrs is absolutely right. The first day is the hardest! You don't feel normal. But it gets better! You have more energy, your not hacking up shiza, and you just feel a little bit healthier everyday. I also recommend getting a gym membership or just running outside. I joined a gym a month before I quit and it was really hard to go because I was lazy and really didn't feel like it. Now I look forward to it...and the first day I went I noticed a huge difference! I could run longer and had a lot more energy! It's amazing! Substituting one addiction for another...ehh? At least it's a healthier choice Good luck everyone!

Thanks LV!!!! Much appreciated

good luck ecovegan!! I'm on day two!!! me and my fiancee decided to do it the day after his bday! i'm very proud of him and myself!!!

I am very proud of you both It is so much easier to quit together! My boyfriend is still smoking. He never smokes around me and he hides his smokes from me, so there is no temptation. He is super supportive and actually got me the patches and gum. But he is not quite ready However he has confessed that he smokes a hell of a lot less and is even questioning why he is still doing it. I hope that I can lead by example and soon we can be nonsmokers together too

Keep up the good work missbettie and bo!!!!

Question to anyone who has quit smoking and lives a vega lifestyle! Did you ever notice any weight gain when you quit? I am curious bc since I went vegan 3yrs ago, I have lost a lot of weight do to my healthy eating habits. So I was wondering if I eat the same, maybe just a bit little more than normal, should I expect any weight gain? Thoughts?
    (note: I have also replaced some of my extra energy with a 3 day a week workout routine- hope that helps with any extra pounds)

well most people gain weight once they quit smoking, but its just because you almost need the extra food to distract you, and you don't have that suppresant anymore...but if you eat the same amount of food and excersise during your experience then you shouldn't gain any weight...

me on the other hand...ya i'm seriously going to get a little pudgy...but thats okay....at least i'll be able to breathe...

i'm on day 3...I can't believe it!!! my mouth hurts though from all the candy i've been eating...

BlackCats

^ Well done everyone.

I haven't smoked for a few months. I go for ages without smoking and then suddenly get an urge (usually after drinking) and buy a pack and smoke them all.

^ ya i'm sure this will be me...so many of my friends smoke its going to be really hard...i'm really worried about car trips, like going camping or something...i mean smoking is something that i enjoy...i want to quit because i know i need to and its not good for me, but i love doing it.

and its extremely sad considering i only have ever smoked 2 to 3 cigs a day..IF that, but its still hard..

Quote missbettie View Post
    ^ ya i'm sure this will be me...so many of my friends smoke its going to be really hard...i'm really worried about car trips, like going camping or something...i mean smoking is something that i enjoy...i want to quit because i know i need to and its not good for me, but i love doing it.
    Have you thought about a shisha pipes - for when you go camping. The smoke is cooled through water, so less harmful I think. They are for use with a group of people - so it is sociable and enjoyable.
    Thanks,

Burntfruit

oh i do have a hookah...its really not the same...but i'm sure it will help me...thanks for the suggestion! though it would be kind of hard to bring camping...being glass and all...hmmmm...

Miss Bettie, Thanks for the input It is always appreciated! I know how you feel....my jaw hurts from chewing so much gum But at least it is helping! Good job on day getting to day 3!

I wouldn't think hookah/shisha smoke is better as you're likely to take bigger, deeper, longer puffs, and the tar won't be filtered out through water.

very very true. BUT and its a really big but, with a hookah...i only do that hmmm maybe 2 times a month if that... I don't really understand hookah, i really like it and all but i mean you don't get anything out of it. with cigarrettes i mean you get a little buzz and your anxiety lessens, at least thats something... (not to mention the heart disease and cancer...)

I've put on over a stone since I quit!
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

@missbettie:
    According to Wikipedia, an hour long hookah session is equivalent to 70-100 cigarettes in tar and nicotine. I think the main thing that would be missing would be the bite at the back of the throat, so that might make it seem milder. Which would be similar to menthols. Without the bite it feels like you're not getting anything.

@emzy:
    Don't let a bit of weight make you take it back up, though. Just keep an eye on what you're drinking and eating.

RubyDuby

good job to those qho are quitting! Before thanksgiving I broke down and bought a pack, but I haven't smoked too many from it. Knowing it's an option has helped me surprisingly... I thought I'd smoke them all.

awesome you're finally doing it missb!! It has to be much harder having ppl around you who smoke.

yup we are on day 6! doing suprisingly well, very impressed with my boy, he freaked out yesterday because the restaurant put onions in his burrito though, but we handled it.

we did do hookah on saturday, but i don't really think that is going to be a regular thing as it is such a pain in the butt and it really doesn't do it for me...

As for gaining weight...last week i ate my way through my frustrations and cravings...this week i am going to try to be a little bit nicer to my body, my goal is not to drink and to eat a lot better...but if i still eat like crap but i'm not smoking i'm okay with that.

Miss Bettie- Keep up the good work You are doing AWESOME!!! I am on day 8 and it is kind of funny (not at the time though) what makes you freak out! I have had quite a few of those myself I have also noticed my emotions are on hiatus. My emotions build up so quickly and they end up coming out my eyeballs! I am fortunate to have a boyfriend who is a counselor and he explained that's probably because in the past I have always used cigarettes to mask my emotions. When I got pissed, I smoked. When I got upset, I smoked. When I was sad, I smoked. Now I am dealing with them full on...nothing to mask them. So that is something new to me. Keep up the good work everyone! And to anyone who slips, don't get down on yourself. Just pick yourself up again and start all over

I'm 28 days smoke free....it's hard though but I'm getting through it.... exercise is now a very large priority!
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

RubyDuby

good job emz. Do you feel like you're through the tough part now?

I don't know! I still want a fag every so often. I mean like this afternoon I wanted one. I'm going to a gig tonight where I know I'm gonna want one. It's so fucking hard, but you know what? I'm sticking to it!!!!

RubyDuby

I know, it is hard!

go emzy!!! I'm on day 9!!! I don't unfortunately want to excersise....

LiveVegan

When I stopped smoking (I think its been 7 years) I just stopped on New Years and never did it again. I chewed straws. Its hard to stop smoking and most non-smokers just don't get how hard it is. But for those who have stopped, awesome job and congrats!