Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Quit smoking (encouragement thread)!

Default Re: Quit smoking! (Encouragement thread)

Well done Smoothie.

It sounds like you are over the major cravings. Once you start feeling human again it's easier to resist any cravings.

i'm actually doing pretty fine. i can sit next to a person who is smoking, without feeling like having one.. and don't really think about it anymore. i feel so clean.

Your doing great Smoothie
    Good luck kasitera, it will be a breeze.

Quote kasitera View Post
    From this moment, I've decided to quit smoking!!! This is going to be very hard when I go out especially.. but I am still quite young and I feel if I quit now it sould be a lot easier than in a few years time.

Hmm, this feels so definate
    It's fantastic that it feels definate and I hope it is definate for you Kasitera. Not only will it be easier to give up now rather than later, but your whole body will be celerbrating. The sooner you quit, the less damage will be done to your body and the sooner your body can try to start to repair the damage that has been done.
    Good luck Remember it might take a few attempts, but it might go as well for you as it is going for Smoothie.
    Great work Smoothie hope it continues to go well for you. Don't forget another big plus for you both, is all the money you will be saving!

Thankyou everyone for the support!!!

I'm afraid to say that I haven't done very well at the moment.. like you said Naomi, I think it will take a few tries hehe, but I am cutting down, so I guess that's good.

Nice one Smoothie, keep it up

I would like to share something that was the one thing that definitly encouraged me give up smoking.
    When I learned that tobacco companies use third world countries to grow their crops in leui of the traditional food crops while using extremely harsh chemicals causing death and abnormalities in the children and people working in the tobacco fields. All I could think of was my own babies and how devastating this would be for me. The chemicals used also affect the environment and water supplies for these people. They only get paid around $1 a kilo for the tobacco and the companies make a killing - literally.
    I believe Phillip Morris was voted one of the worst human rights abusers last year.
    I don't wish to upset anyone, but this is just what tobacco companies want to remain hidden and I think for the sake of the children suffering - we all need this awareness.

I'm an ex-smoker. A real bad one. I'd get up in the morning and light up. Make coffee and light up. Take the dogs out for walkies and light up then puff away driving to work. Four cancer sticks in the space of an hour or so!
    I have an addictive nature. Now that I've quit smoking I find that I can't stop eating Alpro chocolate soya dessert. Creamylicious!

There is only one time when I hate the smell of smoke and that is very early in the morning when I'm walking the dogs or out with my camera. I like to think that I'm the only person in britain and that the birds are putting on an air display just for me. Daft I know. So often though that illusion is ruined by the smell of ciggie smoke wafting over, normally accompanied by the gut wrenching sound of someone hocking up a huge green lung bogey.

My encouragement to you smokers is not to smoke near me, early in the morning or you may die quickly but not painlessly. That is more of a warning really.

Soul Rebel

Quote treehugga View Post
    I would like to share something that was the one thing that definitly encouraged me give up smoking.
    When I learned that tobacco companies use third world countries to grow their crops in leui of the traditional food crops while using extremely harsh chemicals causing death and abnormalities in the children and people working in the tobacco fields. All I could think of was my own babies and how devastating this would be for me. The chemicals used also affect the environment and water supplies for these people. They only get paid around $1 a kilo for the tobacco and the companies make a killing - literally.
    I believe Phillip Morris was voted one of the worst human rights abusers last year.
    I don't wish to upset anyone, but this is just what tobacco companies want to remain hidden and I think for the sake of the children suffering - we all need this awareness.
    I know alot of people that smoke Amercian Spirit cigs and I don't think their tobacco comes from situations like that. They also sell organic cigs. Even though they aren't any "better" it still kinda neat. American Spirit is supposed to be all natural.

www.nascigs.com

Anyone here smoke them?

I smoke American Spirit handrolling tobacco.
    It's still bad for me, i know, but at least it's vegan and hasnt got any added nasties.

I was especially glad that that is all i have been smoking for the past number of years when i was informed by a fellow vegan at the Bristol Vegan Fayre that all other cigarrettes and rolling tobacco contains

wait for it:

ANIMAL FAT!!!!

I honestly had no idea! I did think they may contain some form of lactose as they seem to put that in just about everythink, and i know thats bad enuf, but animal fat!!!!
    holding onto the dream that we imagined and painted forever more: elvinridge.co.uk

never smoked too much, always gave me bronchitis.
    This advice is from a psych professor back in the '70s:
    Give a hefty sum of money to an unsympathetic acquaintance to hold; if you stay smoke-free, you splurge on the cash. If you revert to smoking... the money goes to your worst enemy...KKK anyone, animal labs perhaps?
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

simplicity2550

I have been quiting for 3 weeks by reading and following the instructions from this quit smoking ebook such as understand addiction,creating supporter and success strategies. http://www.stop-and-quit-smoking.com

I smoked for more than 30 years (with a year off here and there before resuming the habit). When I quit seven years ago, I was smoking two or more packs a day. The first thing I did in the morning and the last thing I did before I went to bed was light up. I was a terrible addict.

What finally caused me to quit was I got a nasty case of sinusitis. My nose would get all dried out and crusty. It was gross. I'd get nosebleeds from it. My doctor told me I'd just keep getting it as long as I smoked.

I quit with a smoking cessasion program offered by my HMO. They gave me a bunch of materials, and I used the patch and took Zyban, which is an anti-depressant. (I used to kid my wife that I should put one patch on each of my temples so the nicotine would go directly into my brain.) I also took free meditation classes offered at a local zen center, (and ended up studying Buddhism there for five years and becoming a Buddhist).

My wife still smokes and I worry about her health. But quitting was the hardest thing I've ever done. I still get the rare occasional urge to smoke, but they're easier to ignore with the passage of time. For me, I had to develop the habit of not smoking. I had to disassociate smoking from things like driving and drinking coffee, which were things I often did while smoking. I still dream about smoking sometimes.

But, hey, if I could quit smoking, as addicted as I was, I think just about anyone could quit. Just call your health professional for advice and take advantage of any programs they offer. It's definitely worth a shot.

how is everyone doing with their no smoking/cutting down?
    smoothie? kasitera?
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

Ok I quit smoking when the ban came in on the 1st. I thought it would be easier...but it is just as hard. Since then I've had two pulls when I was drunk outside a night club and last night...I was really really really stressed out, angry and upset and rolled myself a full rolly. I sat for ages debating whether to smoke it and then I did. I was soooooooooooo good! I haven't smoked at all today and don't intend to relight my habit so to speak...I'm just finding it really hard and I refuse to pay for replacement therapy. Any tips?
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

I gave up on orange therapy - a big hairy biker told me about this and it really works. I never thought I could give up cold turkey but I have and am now a total anti-smoking fascist
    Whenever you crave a cigarette you drink half to one glasses of orange juice (pure). It's really weird but it works and it kills the craving
    Silent but deadly :p

I gave up on orange therapy - a big hairy biker told me about this and it really works. I never thought I could give up cold turkey but I have and am now a total anti-smoking fascist
    Whenever you crave a cigarette you drink half to one glasses of orange juice (pure). It's really weird but it works and it kills the craving
    Silent but deadly :p

RubyDuby

oh crap, I think I'm going to try again. For years I only smoked 3 cigarettes a day after 8pm with my nightly drinks (I know I know), but now with this new job my boss always wants to take cigarette breaks, everybody there smokes! peer pressure and a reason for a sit outside for 5 minutes... its tough. I've decided to take advantage of being management and take the breaks but not smoke! Thats the plan anyway... is that unethical?
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

RubyDuby

Quote Hemlock View Post
    maybe I'll p/u a pint on my way to work

BlackCats

I used to smoke very occasionally since I was 14 and have done last year when I have been out and drinking alcohol.

Its awful that the cigarettes taste like ambrosia when you haven't had any in a while and increase your buzz from alcohol by about 50%.

I watched a CSI episode the other day and they showed a lung with little cancer tumours all over it and at that point I thought - no matter how drunk I get - I am never going to be tempted by another cigarette.

I am so glad there is a smoking ban now, it will make my decision so much easier.

I really hope everyone is doing okay anyway with giving up.

i gave up a few years ago and have had a few (very) minor lapses. even now if i feel like i've had extra stressy times my first thing is to intensly crave a cigarette..i've even avoided drinking lovely booze or buying it recently because the temptaion to buy a packet of baccy to go alongside it has been really massive.

3 or so days ago i was in the library wasting half an hour and had a peek through the mirror red top..was an article by this woman who has emphesymia (sp?)..pics of her as a younger woman looking quite gorgeous and as she is now, absolutely haggard unable to get out of a bed because she needs 24 hour breathing assistance.

very sad..

the biggest incentive to not start again..well there's plenty of them..but a major one is that i refuse to be controlled by a 6 or so cm lil white stick.. ironic cos i let other stuff control me..but that's an entirely different thread...

also agreed with aphrodite..good luck all people trying to give up/cut down..keep at it..it's eeeeevil!!!!
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

Sometimes you can't do these things until the time is right for you (keep trying though, there are so many good programmes out there) so don't loose heart if you don't succeed at first.

I decided to stop smoking two years ago on my birthday and didn't look back. I didn't use any patches or gum and I never had a craving for them.

I know I was really, really lucky not having cravings - one day you can just wake up in the right place in your life and decide "that's it - I'm doing it today".

BIG LUCK to all the smokers wanting to stop - I have thanked my stars every day since stopping, I feel so much better and I know my heart is thanking me too. (And I don't stink of smoke all the time!)

Does anyone have any advice when it's the habit that is addictive and not the nicotine?
    I've managed to stop smoking all the time at home and stuff, but I still smoke at work. I work at a bar, and since the no smoking in bars law I get tonnes more breaks as a smoker, and my co-workers also smoke and it's nice to go outside, have a break and a gossip with a cigarette, get away from the loud music for a bit. I find at work I really crave a cigarette because I want to get away, not because I want the hit, like I said, everywhere except for work I no longer smoke. I tried just going out on a ciggie break and not smoking, just telling the boss that I was. But then I can never resist when my co-workers are all smoking.

cobweb

i agree with you, Aradia.

I smoked for many years, gave up, then started again. However, when we moved up to Scotland 2 years ago we just said, that's it, we simply can't afford to buy cigarettes - so we gave up the day we moved. Had one just before we left, then spent 2 days driving up here without so much as a puff - never thought of it again!.

I don't drink atall now, it might be harder if i did - don't they just go together sooo well!

Poppet - that's the hardest bit, the habit, i think. You'd have to be really firm and stop taking those breaks, get into a new mindset, do some deep breathing when you get a craving!. Your smoking colleagues will envy you .

RubyDuby

I have that exact same problem poppet

I started smoking when I as 14 for all the usual reasons that young people do .. it's cool / grown up etc. Used to spend my lunch money on 2 packets of St Moritz for the week. I then spend the next 26 years trying to give it up. It is just the worst addicition, all you care about is where your next fix is coming from. I even used to smoke in the house when my children were little. I had many serious attempts at quitting where I would stop for 4 months and start again for a month. This pattern went on for several years with the help of Nicorette gum (which I would then get addicted to!) I finally quit for good 7 years ago when my father became terminally ill with a lung disease ... I spent 6 months watching him slowly fade away and swore I would never smoke again. It was more that I couldn't bear it if he knew I smoked, given what he was going through. The weird thing was I gave up during the most stressful time in my life, as not only was my father dying but I was going through my divorce at the same time. I chomped on the Nictorette gum for probably a couple of years, then switched to normal chewing gum and eventually stopped that habit too. Now I can't believe I ever smoked, though I still worry about long term damage to my lungs. It sure is a hard habit to break and I wonder if my father hadn't died the way he did if I would still be smoking today. I promised my children $1000 each if they hadn't smoked by their 18th birthdays .. my son got his but my daughter only got $500 as she had tried it when she was 14... now 21 and I don't think she smokes .. if she does it would be only an occassional one. I never smell it on her. A couple of years ago on her birthday she had a group of friends round for drinks before they went out for her birthday and I felt really sad as nearly all of them were smoking .... I thought if only they would stop now before they are really hooked .. but you can't tell 'em .. they think they're invincible, just like I did. Good luck everyone who is still trying .. keep at it - all i know is I couldn't have done it without the Nicorette gum.

Substitute, Poppet. Stick something else in your mouth. Also, at the risk of seeming strange, how about a few stretches while chatting? Really feel all that tension in your back and neck and arms and give a good reach. Exchanging a quick shoulder rub with colleagues keeps those hands busy....

Pick something. Be nice to yourself! good luck
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

so I just bought a pack of smokes...smoke one and threw the rest away...i think i am ready to quit!!

i'm going off tonight to go buy loli pops...does anyone have any other suggestions?
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

RubyDuby

what do they say? one day at a time? oh no thats AA... hmmm, oh yeah, i think a craving only lasts a few minutes so just tough it out.

good luck to yas missbettie.

u can do it!!

thanks ruby <3

they didn't have the lolies I wanted...so i had to get a normal hard candy...gah...it will really hit me in the morning while i'm drinking my coffee and reading...I'm not a heavy smoker to begin with i smoked maybe 4 cigs a day...but any is bad...

I quit about 26 years ago in my early twenties, I had been smoking since I was 12.

Would I be courting controversy if I said people should simply show a bit of testicular fortitude and just pack it in?
    From Sutton, Surrey, (or Greater London when they want to fleece me for the Olympics)

Well done on deciding to quit - I quit about a year ago after smoking for roughly 10 years.

I'd tried before with patches and substitutions etc but this time I found a website called www.whyquit.com. I can't recommend it enough! It answers every question you could possibly have about quitting, there's loads of information on there about addiction, triggers, overcoming the different stages of quitting, and they advocate going cold turkey. There's videos and articles for each specific day of your quit, it's like having a counsellor with you 24/7 and you can chat to people on their forum, it's encouraging to speak to people who've been quit for a while, as they tell you it will only get better!

Quitting was one of the hardest things I've ever done but I am sooooo glad I did it, and now I don't even think about cigarettes, and I almost don't recognise myself when I see photos of me with a cig in my hand.

Good luck, let us know how it goes! xx

EDIT: Actually, just realised it will be my quit birthday on the 1st July - I quit when the ban came in like Emzy.

Quote Jiffy View Post
    I quit about 26 years ago in my early twenties, I had been smoking since I was 12.

Would I be courting controversy if I said people should simply show a bit of testicular fortitude and just pack it in?
    I would show testicular fortitude if I had balls. k?

so, so far today I had one half of a smoke....stupid yes, perhaps I should go cold turkey...but really...

i'll tell you how it goes.

is it bad to say i don't want to quit?...gah...

RubyDuby

i know how u feel missbettie... i don't want to smoke, but i don't want to quit. in my case it's laziness though i think. it just goes with the rest of my lifestyle so well.

^ me too... and all my friends smoke...its a good feel to do it...but i know its bad for me, so thats the part of me that wants to stop...

Ok so my quitting smoking before didn't work very well. I've spent the last few days in an alcohol, drugs and tobacco fuelled haze. I am now ready to become the straight edge person I have been meaning to be for the past three years. BRING IT ON!
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

I've only had 2 today!

Not one single fag for 6 days. To be honest it is fucking killing me and I want one every second of everyday....but I'm not gonna. Going back to gym tomorrow and gonna see if it has made any difference.

^ Yay! Go for it girl.

Quote emzy1985 View Post
    Not one single fag for 6 days. To be honest it is fucking killing me and I want one every second of everyday....but I'm not gonna. Going back to gym tomorrow and gonna see if it has made any difference.
    Awesome!! You can be my idol

You don't want me as your idol.........

Well, maybe just your 'non-smoking will power full' self then! Your certainly better than me and my 2 a day!

heat13

Quote emzy1985 View Post
    That's awesome! The longer you go without it, the less you will think about it and the easier it will be. I think working out at the gym will help alot too- because when you're exercising the last thing you want is smoke right? (at least that's what I always think when I am running and catch a whiff of someone's cigerette- it's not that apetizing)
    Good luck- you can do it- and your body will thank you!!!

cobweb

well done emzy, i'm sure you will notice a difference at the gym

Last cig I smoked was on 2nd December 2007 (The christmas without cruelty fair) so that's about 6 1/2 months now, and before that I probably hadn't smoked for 2-3 months.

Oh, actually I had a puff of a cigarette on the way to the BVF at the end of last month/beginning of this one, but it made me cough and I didn't like it so I think I'm done for good (I hope)
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Quote emzy1985 View Post

I packed up some years ago.

If you feel like a smoke - drop to the floor and do 20 or more sit ups/press ups.

It worked for me.

It can be quite funny though if you think of those times when you most want a smoke
    I Think, Therefore I Am A Vegan

Quote emzy1985 View Post
    Hey Emzy. When I gave up, over 10 years ago now, I used to buy myself a present at the end of each week worth the same amount of the cigarettes I would have smoked. That worked really well. I also reminded myself of the main reason I gave up. The tobacco industry is corrupt and exploits human rights as well as the environment, especially the small children being born with defects from pesticide use. Be strong and proud for their benefit as well as yours!

Quote Frank View Post
    I packed up some years ago.

If you feel like a smoke - drop to the floor and do 20 or more sit ups/press ups.

It worked for me.

It can be quite funny though if you think of those times when you most want a smoke
    Straight after dinner.....take that how you may!

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I'm on my way to the gym now. Catch you later!

Quote emzy1985 View Post
    Straight after dinner.....take that how you may!
    Ha ha!

I Think, Therefore I Am A Vegan

Returned!

Jesus I wish it were that easy to just quit, but you know how you're really upset and stressed out? Nothing's better than a cigarette then. Nothing.

-sighs, headdesks- Now I need a smoke. Rawr.
    --do not be a victim----do not be a perpetrator-----
    -----but above all else-----do not be a bystander.--
    (Newly returned to veganism and this forum)