Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Quit smoking (encouragement thread)!

Default Re: Quit smoking! (Encouragement thread)

^ ditto...i'm not doing so hot. this weekend was pretty bad, i went camping and drank and smoked...the ciggarrettes helped keep the little gnats away...and i woke up with my chest really sore...yesterday and today are better, i've taken 2 puffs today...its so embarressing...but i love smoking...gah
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

Returned!

Pfft, it's not embarassing, although it does kinda make ya a social pariah.. Oh well..

The only thing I hate is how my fingers smell like Virginia Slims... In a bad way.

Lol, I'm in the middle of three packs: a Misty's, A VS, and a prezzie: a pack of Benson&Hedges.

-sighs- Where's my goddamn lighter..

I was doing sweet dream natural cherry flavored...then i stopped buying packs and occasionally will steal one of my BF's american sprits...at least they don't have the rat poison... i'm doing a bit better though.

Ok it's been 9 days and last night I snapped and took a pull of a ciggy. I felt sick. That just reaffirmed me quitting. Not drinking is helping alot. Before I used to get stressed out/upset and run up the shop for an 8pack of Carlsberg and a pack of twenty.
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Just a thought - do cigarettes contain animal ingredients?

If they do - that's another excuse to pack up
    I Think, Therefore I Am A Vegan

American Spirits don't. and no animal testing...

Quote Frank View Post
    Just a thought - do cigarettes contain animal ingredients?

If they do - that's another excuse to pack up
    We had lotsa debate on this on another thread and never actually came up with an answer.

Most of the AR movement smokes so I doubt they do...but then again you never know.
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

RubyDuby

any all natural smokes would be ok... i switched to american spirits after seeing that debate. who woulda guessed the possibility of milk products in cigarettes???
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

BlackCats

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    who woulda guessed the possibility of milk products in cigarettes???
    (Haha, well they seem to stick milk products in every other blooming product in the world. I find that so annoying that everything I don't usually buy has to be checked all the time.)

I haven't had any fags (of any kind) for a month as of today. I literally could punch myself for giving in and having one last year and remembering how amazing smoking is.

I hope everyone is doing well.

Although cigarettes don't contain animal ingredients the pesticides used to grow tobacco kills many animals and insects. Not to mention the devastating effect butts have on waterways for fish life. A great reason for a vegan to give up.

Cigarettes do contain animal ingredients often .. (not all) ..
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._in_cigarettes
    Picking out a few ingredients ..
    Ambergris Tincture (whale wax)
    Beeswax
    Butter
    L-cysteine
    Glycerine/Glycerol
    Honey
    Hydrolysed Milk Solids

.. along with the other 592 chemicals, many of them hardly pronounceable, that are in them ..
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe-Albert Einstein

Well found Fungus

and other not-so-nice chemicals (probably vegan) .. ;
    Ammonia and compounds
    Aspartame/Aspartic Acid
    Benzaldehyde (similar properties to formaldehyde) and compounds ..
    Butyric Acid (in even small concentrations this stinks of a mixture between babies nappies, vomit , etc - one drop will stink out pretty much a whole building)
    Lots of Ethyl alcohols/other compounds
    Linalool (same thing that causes perfume allergies)
    Myristic Acid (can come from sperm whales)
    Rum
    Salt
    Urea (component of urine-bitter/stining)
    Vinegar

... and many more :-S
    And while these may be reasonably edible when in 'whole' state nobody really knows what they convert to when burned in terms of harmful/carcinogenic compounds ..
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe-Albert Einstein

I don't think telling people not to smoke because their cigarettes 'might' (probably don't) contain all sorts of horrible things is the way to encourage people not to.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Quote Risker View Post
    I don't think telling people not to smoke because their cigarettes 'might' (probably don't) contain all sorts of horrible things is the way to encourage people not to.
    That was more in response to this: ..

Quote treehugga View Post
    Although cigarettes don't contain animal ingredients
    And all of those ingredients are listed for the US government for additives that *are* in the cigarettes sold by those companies ..

Okay, but I don't think that post was a good way either. If I was still a smoker then people trying to guilt me into not smoking would encourage me to smoke more tbh.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

cobweb

Quote Risker View Post
    Okay, but I don't think that post was a good way either. If I was still a smoker then people trying to guilt me into not smoking would encourage me to smoke more tbh.

i don't really think it was a guilt thing, though, and that would anyway just be a bit silly, wouldn't it Risker?

i remember when i smoked, i think like most smokers i did have 100 reasons to stop but i basically didn't want to. It was money in the end that made me stop .

I think if I still smoked and found out that my brand of cigarettes had animal ingredients in - but another manufacturer didn't - and I still wanted to smoke - I would change brands.

It's a personal thing.

For example I wouldn't take milk products in a cup of tea and therefore I wouldn't want them in my ingested smoke either.

I think it could be a good incentive for some people to stop smoking.

Dylan Mulenburg

Add to the above posts, ciggarettes have stearic acid which is NOT vegetarian.

BlackCats

I wouldn't say I was addicted to smoking, in fact since I first picked up a fag again 8 months ago I probably have only smoked about 4 packs at the very most. I just think though that some people do find it extremely difficult to give up smoking and on their behalf this thread is supposed to be to encourage them to quit, not to lecture at them.

Quote Aphrodite View Post
    I wouldn't say I was addicted to smoking, in fact since I first picked up a fag again 8 months ago I probably have only smoked about 4 packs at the very most. I just think though that some people do find it extremely difficult to give up smoking and on their behalf this thread is supposed to be to encourage them to quit, not to lecture at them.
    Agreed!

Plus as a smoker you have that kinda shit thrust in your face all day everyday and personally I DIDN'T GIVE A FLYING FUCK! So please help us stay off the fags rather than making us feel victimised, get angry and then run outside for a quick smoke!!!!

Been off the fags 14 days today!

cobweb

well done emzy!

i didn't really care about the health and other implications when i smoked i must admit, i wasn't physically addicted but it's a really strong habit to try and give up, it's like a mini bereavement when you stop.

it's sooooo good to beat it though, think of all that money you are saving and how clean your lungs will be!.

Quote Aphrodite View Post
    I I just think though that some people do find it extremely difficult to give up smoking and on their behalf this thread is supposed to be to encourage them to quit, not to lecture at them.
    Agreed on lecturing. The fact is most people now know that smoking causes all sorts of health issues.

Information should be provided if a poster thinks it may help a smoker.

Most people when armed with all of the facts on a subject are then better empowered to make a decision.

Maybe more so for vegans (on smoking).

I smoked before becoming vegan so I didn't have that angle to consider.

Now it would appear vegans do (some manufacturers of cigarettes) - and i'm presuming animals suffer in the process of providing some of those ingredients.

If now armed with that info one person stops smoking then that's a good thing. It was maybe their final incentive.

What worked for me on packing up smoking (after initial 'attempts') was to pick a day to finish - then to tell everyone I knew in the world including bosses at work, doctors, Japanese martial arts instructor and his whole team, friends, family etc etc.

That was a big incentive for me as I did not want to lose face and fail. If I felt like a smoke I'd drop to the floor and do some sit ups.

Smokers - try it and see how you go.

You've also got a variety of products to assist you today (don't know if they are vegan or not) - like nicotine patches etc that will help reduce the initial cravings you get when packing up.

I still remember every morning for like ages after packing up on waking up and reaching for the packets of fags that no longer existed! Once I knew where I was - more sit ups.

Quote emzy1985 View Post
    Been off the fags 14 days today!
    Keep going - whatever you're doing its working well

Quote Frank View Post
    Keep going - whatever you're doing its working well
    Cold tofurky!

Quote Frank View Post
    I think if I still smoked and found out that my brand of cigarettes had animal ingredients in - but another manufacturer didn't - and I still wanted to smoke - I would change brands.
    For any brands manufactured by the Gallaher Group (Amber Leaf, B & H, Mayfair, Silk Cut, etc), looks like a list of ingredients can be found here.

Not promoting/discouraging etc

Congrat's Emzy!
    Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.

I think it's helpful for some to know the facts around smoking. If it makes one person think twice - it's useful, but I agree it's probably better to encourage also. I think there's room for both.

My boyfriend was a smoker for 15 years. He gave up two months after we got together. Partly for me but also for himself as well. He has now been a non smoker for 6 months. I was amazed at how well he has done. If he can do it then you guys can too

So is anyone other than me on the quit smoking train atm?

I almost relapsed this weekend....**smacks self in head for allowing oneself to deal with stress by lighting up a fag!!!**** I didn't though but was seriously sweating!

RubyDuby

I'm going to try quitting at the end of the month when we move. I only smoke at night when I drink. Its more the routine that's seeming impossible to break, but since I won't be drinking on the road and the routine will be gone, hopefully I can arrive home with the old habits gone.

eta: good job emxy! are u still drinking, but with no smokes???

cobweb

ruby i did that when i moved a few years ago and found it was easy to change like that - new circumstances, new habits, etc. Good luck with it.

RubyDuby

thanks.
    sounds good in theory anyway.

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    I'm going to try quitting at the end of the month when we move. I only smoke at night when I drink. Its more the routine that's seeming impossible to break, but since I won't be drinking on the road and the routine will be gone, hopefully I can arrive home with the old habits gone.

eta: good job emxy! are u still drinking, but with no smokes???
    The problem I had Ruby was that when I had a drink, I had to have a smoke. So in the end I quit both and all the drugs too...so now I'm straight edge!

RubyDuby

wow, good job! sounds tough. do u still go out as much?

I'm afraid thats my problem too... but living at home temporarily should help.

Yeah I still go out as much but it kinda sucks because no one seems to wanna mosh/dance anymore and its driving me mad. I need to get myself along to the local SU where all the hardcore gigs are. Need some proper SxE friends too because being around drunk people all the time is not fun.

Still not smoking hehe!

I quit smoking on Monday and I haven't had one since yay!!!!!!!!!!!

Pilaf

One thing I always tell myself that makes me glad I don't smoke is that I'm saving literally thousands of dollars over my lifetime that can go towards a happier, more secure retirement.

Another thing that makes me happy about being a non smoker is that during the winter time, during the hottest part of summer, during the rain etc., I don't have to go outside during my break times at lunch. Non smokers are actually the minority at my overnight shift. There's seventeen people on the shift and maybe five don't smoke. It's typical of this part of the Southern U.S. actually. But neither I nor any of the other four have to get up and go out into the elements, and I am very glad of that. I can sit in a nice air conditioned building and enjoy my break peacefully.

I'm not trying to rub it into anyone's face who still smokes, just showing the appeal of staying quit for good.

i cut back quite a bit, and now my BF is talking about quiting so hopefully he goes through cause it will be a lot easier...cept for i love to smoke...stupid habits.

Pilaf

Quote missbettie View Post
    i cut back quite a bit, and now my BF is talking about quiting so hopefully he goes through cause it will be a lot easier...cept for i love to smoke...stupid habits.
    You can do whatever you set your mind to.

You are vegan. You are strong.

ah thanks

I know i can do it...its whether or not I want to bad enough...stupid yes i know but still..

its so stupid that i started, it stupid that any of us did, especially us younger people, especially since we know that it is sooo bad for you...why oh why are we doing something that has the poetential to kill us?

...gah...cause its wonderfull...

RubyDuby

I smoked my "last" cigarette on January 20th. 6 days later I bummed one from a co-worker, smoked half, then the other half the next day. A few days later I took the last possible puff of said cigarette. So, 1 cigarette in 3 weeks. Not bad.

How are you doing missb?

not great... i'm down to 2 maybe 3 a day...its worse on the weekends...i'm going to start running so maybe that will help....GAH!!!!!!

I'm so proud of you RUBY!!!!

RubyDuby

2 or 3 a day is really good though!
    how many did you smoke a day before?

...lol 2 or 3 a day... lol i've never really smoked heavily. it was more smoke half a smoke here a half a smoke there...

RubyDuby

yeah, I only really smoked a few/day for the past coupla years. Don't think I've ever smoked more than 1/2 pack/day in my life. Strange how so few can have such a hold. Every day at around 6 or 7pm the craving is super intense. Hopefully I'll stick it out though and hopefully the craving will go away!

ya its pathetic. I go through a pack a week normally and i still am struggling giving that up. and its ridulous that even that much makes me feel like crap and makes me feel better all at the same time.

RubyDuby

I hear ya. I feel the same way. Remembering that crappy feeling paired with living w my bf w whom I have a deal w (he doesn't eat meat in front of me and I don't smoke in front of him) really helps.

ooo nice. you have it all worked out. I'm glad you got a nice guy, it seems like you are very happy. even if you aren't in california anymore.

RubyDuby

thanks. But I have moments where I want to say screw it, eat whatever you want! and go smoke a pack of cigarettes. esp since I've been gaining weight at an amazing rate. must find motivation to exercise!

ya thats the bad part about quiting. but i suppose it out weighs the good (no pun intended).

my guy smokes so its more difficult for me to quit, but he is almost ready to stop so thats good.