Thread: Where are the most vegans?

Question Where are the most vegans?

Hello everyone...do any of you know where the biggest vegan population/most vegan friendly place or state in the U.S. is? My fiance and I are both vegan and want to move somewhere other than vegan hating Ohio. Any places you guys know of or where you live and know some other vegans would be helpful. Thanks!
    Think occasionally of the suffering in which you spare yourself the sight. -Albert Schweitzer

Default Re: Where are the most vegans?

I'm not sure if the most vegans are here, but Portland, Oregon is extremely vegan friendly. My husband and I are moving here in July from Connecticut. We are here this week and it's been great - vegan friendly and eco-friendly. The only downsides are the fact that the unemployment is higher than the national average and the state income tax (and property tax) is high. And you must like overcast, cloudy, misty days. The up sides are (in addition to the above) no sales tax, great public transportation (free in the center part of the city), lots of organic and locally grown foods and lots of outdoor things to do and see.

I hope the two of you find your dream home.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Well it is defo not Florida that's for sure!
    "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."

I think the west coast is generally more animal- and eco-friendly...California, Oregon, Washington. Also, I think if you live in a bigger city (Portland, Seattle, San Francisco, etc), you'll have more vegan options, though living in a big city itself is less eco-friendly.

I wanted to move out to the west coast, but didn't work out that way...
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

Dancing Willow, I think maybe living in a big city can be more ecological if you take into consideration that condos and apartments use less land, public transportation uses less energy and containing sprawl keeps more roads from being laid and more houses being built. It's one of the reasons we've decided on city living. But I'm not denying that there are some serious downsides as well. For instance, I can't compost here and more people means a strain on sewage treatment, trash collection and energy use.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

You're right Diane. There are pro's and con's to both city and country living...
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

Quote DianeVegan
    Dancing Willow, I think maybe living in a big city can be more ecological if you take into consideration that condos and apartments use less land, public transportation uses less energy and containing sprawl keeps more roads from being laid and more houses being built. It's one of the reasons we've decided on city living. But I'm not denying that there are some serious downsides as well. For instance, I can't compost here and more people means a strain on sewage treatment, trash collection and energy use.
    This is something of a false dichotomy. A city isn't "more people", it's people in a smaller space. That same number of people in a rural environment, unless they live "off the grid", can typically mean more strain on resources like sewage treatment, trash collection, etc. And many of the "close to the earth" activities such as composting, traditionally thought to be the domain of the countryside, can be done in town. Co-housing, housing co-ops, and just plain smartly-designed apartment projects can accomodate things like composting, gray water, rain catchment and even vegetable gardening.

I'm not sure what country you're in and you may have seen this before, but here's a link that might help (if you're in the US or Canada):
    http://goveg.com/f-vegcities.asp
    When you are guided by compassion and loving-kindness, you are able to look deeply into the heart of reality and see the truth.--Thich Nhat Hanh

May I suggest the Big Apple? Even the name sounds vegan friendly.

It's not Maine that's for sure.

I was impressed with the vegan culture in Seattle, Washington. Thought about moving there but don't want to stress out our animals by uprooting them and moving them across the country.

LA is vegan friendly.
    "Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends". ~ George Bernhard Shaw.

Quote madpogue
    This is something of a false dichotomy. A city isn't "more people", it's people in a smaller space. That same number of people in a rural environment, unless they live "off the grid", can typically mean more strain on resources like sewage treatment, trash collection, etc.
    I thought usage of the term 'city' was defined by population? As opposed to a 'village' or a 'town'. Perhaps some smaller "cities" may have equal population to a rual area, but something like NY or Chicago would not...

if you don't want to live in a place that has a big city feel, try santa cruz, california, or its surrounding area. very vegan friendly and not a huge city
    hannah, 28 (vegan), bryce, 28 (ovolacto), xylia born january 2005 (vegan)

Portland, OR

Some great things about Portland:

- Portland is the #1 Vegan Friendly City in America
    - Portland is one of the most beautiful and clean cities in America
    - Portland is one of the fittest cities in America with all kinds of outdoor activities during the beautiful summer for athletes to take part in
    - Portland is only an hour from the Pacific Ocean so we can still "hang out on the beach"
    - Portland has more vegan and vegetarian restaurants per capita than pretty much anywhere
    - Portland actually has vegan soft serve ice cream that comes out of the machines (kinda like a Dairy Queen, but vegan)
    - There are many forum members in Portland and around the region so we are sure to have a nice turnout and lots of local tour guides
    - Portland has lots of other attractions such as being
    located near Mt. Hood and Mt. Saint Helens, Seattle, Olympia, Eugene, Vancouver & Victoria plus all kinds of great wild nature, rivers and mountains.
    - Did I mention that we have Food Fight!, the ALL VEGAN 7-11 type convenience store???
    Robert Cheeke
    "Let yourself be silently drawn by the strong pull of what you love" -Annonymous

vegan1969

Portland sounds like a dream. I wonder if I could afford to live there.

I am intrigued by Portland as well. I had no idea it was such a vegan haven. I was just telling my husband about all the positive vegan points on the way to work this morning.

It seems like the northeast US is the exact antithesis of the northwest.
    Just my luck

gosh, now i'm wishing we had moved to portland instead of england! well, only slightly. we were seriously considering it until the last minute, though.
    hannah, 28 (vegan), bryce, 28 (ovolacto), xylia born january 2005 (vegan)

Yeah, Portland is a pretty amazing place. I'm moving there in 3 weeks, but I've been visiting for 3 days at a time for the past few weeks.

Here are a few places to go in Portland:

HappyCow's Vegetarian Guide to Restaurants

Health Food Stores & Vegetarian Restaurants in
    Portland (36)
    Click to view an interactive map!
    NEW: Search by zip code -OR- See nearby cities
    Read or add city comments for Portland.

Raw Food Nutrition World’s premier source of raw foods Serving you efficiently since 1995.
    Health Food Healthy Cafe & Smoothie Bar Dine-In & Takeout. Portland OR
    Ads by Google
    Please let the listings below know you found them on HappyCow!
    Vegetarian Restaurants: (21 Listings)

Blossoming Lotus HappyCow Supporter! Reviews(6): Add/Read
    925 NW Davis St (at Pearl District) (97209) (map)
    503-228-0048
    Moderate
    Innovative, gourmet, and vegan. Open daily 7:30am-7pm.

Vegetarian House HappyCow Supporter! Reviews(6): Add/Read
    22 NW Fourth Ave (97209) (map)
    503-274-0160
    Vegan-friendly, Chinese, Buffet
    Moderate
    Recommended dishes: fried veggie crab rangoon, veggie beef with orange flavor, veggie sesame chicken. Lunch buffet Mon-Fri 11am-2:30pm. Open Mon–Fri 11am-2:30pm, 4:30-9pm, Sat–Sun 11am-9pm.

Bay Leaf Reviews(4): Add/Read
    4768 SE Division St (97206) (map)
    503-232-7058
    Vegan-friendly, Organic, Chinese, Juice-bar, Take-out
    Moderate
    Dishes are prepared from fresh vegetables and some soy protein meat substitutes: sizzling tofu, mushroom crisps, lotus root delux, eggplant with garlic sauce; also organic tea, smoothies, vegan cakes, and more. Accept credit cards. Mon-Sat 11am-3pm & 3-10pm, Sun 12-9pm.

Caffe Destino Reviews: Add
    1339 NE Fremont (97212) (map)
    503-284-9455
    Ova
    Cheap
    This is a coffee house with lovely vegetarian soups, salads, panini and cold sandwiches. They have breakfast and lunch stuff. The coffee is fresh roasted and very good. They also have fine teas. The owner is an animal lover with an animal preservation agenda. The restaurant is open Monday through Friday 6:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. and Saturday through Sunday 7:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.

Divine Cafe Reviews(3): Add/Read
    SW 9th & Alder St. (at between Alder & Washington) (97205) (map)
    503-314-9606
    Lacto, Vegan-friendly, Organic, Take-out, Catering available upon request
    Cheap Once located on 1200 NE Broadway but recently moved to a downtown address. It is an outdoor vendor set up (right across from the Magpie vintage store). Open M-W from 11- 7pm, F-Sat from 11-9pm and Sun from 12-5pm. Reccomend the barbeque tofu or the tempeh reuben sandwich, both delicious and with homemade sauce. Plenty of options to choose from, even caseine-free cheeze and a thick dream shake made of soy, chocolate and peanut butter! Don't forget to ask for a buy 12 get one free card because it's very likely you'll want to return again.
    100% VeganEarthbound Vegan Cuisine Reviews(1): Add/Read
    SE 45th (at Hawthorne) (97205) (map)
    971-221-4598

Vegan Food Cart
    Cheap
    Food Cart offers cold & grilled sandwiches and natural beverages. Call ahead for a grilled sandwiches. Accept visa & mastercard. Mon, Thur, Fri 7a-3p, Sat-Sun 1-9pm, Closed Tue-Wednesday.
    India Chaat House Reviews(2): Add/Read
    804 SW 12th (at Yamhill) (97205) (map)
    503-830-4576
    Lacto, Vegan-friendly, Indian, Take-out
    Cheap
    Large menu featuring dishes with basmati rice; also large "chaat" menu. Any vegetarian item can be made vegan upon request. Try the navraten korma, channa bhature, pakoras, and chai. Cash only. This is a truck with limited seating; there is a restaurant in Keizer, Oregon. Closed Sunday.
    India Direct Reviews(1): Add/Read
    16205 NW Bethany Ct (97229) (map)
    503-690-0499
    Ovo, Indian
    Cheap
    Open Tues-Sat 12-8pm, Sun 12-6pm.

Kalga Kafe Reviews(3): Add/Read
    4147 SE Division St (at SE 42nd) (97202) (map)
    503-236-4770
    Lacto, Vegan-friendly, Organic, Indian, Thai, International, Gourmet, Take-out, Accept Credit Cards
    Moderate
    Can adjust most dishes for vegans. Open noon-midnight, closed Tues.

Nithya's Kitchen Reviews: Add
    NW 1st Ave (at SW Ankeny St. in Portland Saturday Market Int'l Food Court) (97209) (map)
    541-344-8529
    Vegan-friendly, Indian
    Cheap
    Please confirm for HappyCow-- Also may be other vegetarian boths: Kathmandu Cafe & Jalisco's Natural Foods (Mexican Veg.). Solid range of spicy and tangy southern Indian cuisine, reasonably priced and generous portions. Cash Only.

The Tao of Tea Reviews(1): Add/Read
    3430 SE Belmont St (97214) (map)
    503-736-0119
    Moderate
    Fine teas & light food made-to-order.
    The Tao of Tea Reviews: Add
    2112 NW Hoyt St (97210) (map)
    503-223-3563
    Moderate
    Fine teas in a peaceful atmosphere with water fountains and soft music. Light food is different at each location.

100% VeganVan Hahn Vegetarian Restaurant Reviews(4): Add/Read
    8446 SE Division St (at 82nd) (97266) (map)
    503-788-0825
    Vegan, International, Vietnamese Food
    Cheap
    Vietnamese vegetarian, lovingly and beautifully presented, unique gourmet quality and delicious, owned and operated by a Buddist nun with profits being used support their nearby temple. Open every day 10am-9pm, except closed Tuesday.

100% VeganVeganopolis Reviews(14): Add/Read
    412 SW 4th St (at Stark) (97204) (map)
    503-226-3400
    Gourmet, Beer/Wine
    Moderate
    Everything is vegan - soups, salads, sandwiches, baked goods, Illy coffee, juices; offers a dinner buffet; also hosts art exhibits. Accept credit cards. Mon-Sat 10am-8pm.

Vege Thai Reviews(5): Add/Read
    3272 SE Hawthorne Blvd. (97214) (map)
    503-234-2171
    Lacto, Vegan-friendly, Thai
    Moderate
    Their vege meats all have whey in them, so currently only the tofu is vegan.

100% VeganVoodoo Doughnut Reviews(1): Add/Read
    22 SW 3rd St (at downtown) (97204) (map)
    503-241-4704
    Vegan Doughnuts!
    Moderate
    Doughnut shop with usually 5 or 6 vegan varieties. Doughnuts are about $1 each.
    La Villa Reviews: Add
    719 Morrison St (97205) (map)
    503-872-9696
    Mediteranean, Not 100% Vegetarian
    Cheap
    Not 100% Vegetarian. Has a vegetarian menu. Lebanese and Brazillian food. Try the hummus. Closed Sunday.

Laughing Planet Cafe Reviews(2): Add/Read
    3320 SE Belmont St (97214) (map)
    503-235-6472
    Lacto, Vegan-friendly, Juice-bar, Take-out, Not 100% Vegetarian
    Cheap
    Not 100% Vegetarian. Burritos, veggie burgers, soup, salad, steamed veggies, vegan desserts, and juices; try Jamacian-Me Hungry burrito.

PaRaDoX Cafe Reviews(5): Add/Read
    3439 SE Belmont St (at 34th & Belmont SE) (97214) (map)
    505-232-7508
    Ova, Lacto, Vegan-friendly, Not 100% Vegetarian
    Cheap
    Not 100% Vegetarian. Under new ownership as of Jan. 2006. Most of their menu items are vegetarian.

The Blue Monk on Belmont Reviews(1): Add/Read
    3341 SE Belmont St (97214) (map)
    503-595-0575
    Beer/Wine, Italian, Not 100% Vegetarian
    Moderate
    Not 100% Vegetarian. Full bar. Usually a vegetarian special in addition to vege selections; try the vegan lasagna. Live jazz music Tue-Sat. Kitchen open until 1am. Imported beer selection.

Vita Cafe Reviews(2): Add/Read
    3034 Ne Alberta St (97211) (map)
    503-335-8233
    Chinese, International, Take-Out, Not 100% Vegetarian
    Moderate
    Not 100% Vegetarian. While the majority of their menu is vegetarian or vegan they do offer meat and occasionally a fish dish.
    Update HappyCow's listings: here
    Health Food Stores: (15 Listings)

Food Fight! Vegan Grocery Reviews(25): Add/Read
    4179 SE Division (at 42nd Ave) (97202) (map)
    503-233-3910
    100% Vegan (including no bone-char sugar) convenience store offering Imports, mock meats, junk food, books, and other miscellany; shop in person or online! Open daily 10am-8pm.

Food Front Co-op Grocery Reviews: Add
    2375 NW Thurman St (97210) (map)
    503-222-5658
    Organic produce, deli, grocery, and more. Daily 8am-9pm.

Nature's Fresh Northwest Reviews: Add
    3535 NE 15th Ave (at NE Fremont) (94587) (map)
    503-288-3414
    Deli foods, wine, and other foods.

New Seasons Market Reviews: Add
    5320 NE 33rd Ave (at Concordia) (97211) (map)
    503-288-2323
    Organic Produce, grocery, deli, beer/wine, supplements & care products. Open daily 8am-10pm.

6400 N Interstate Ave (at /in Arbor Lodge) (97217) (map)
    please send
    Organic produce, grocery, deli, beer & wine, supplements & care products. Daily 8am-10pm.

1214 SE Tacoma St (at Sellwood) (97202) (map)
    503-230-4949
    Organic Produce, grocery, deli, beer & wine, supplements & care products. Open daily 8am-10pm.

7300 SW Beaverton-Hillsdale Hwy (at Raleigh Hills) (97225) (map)
    503-292-6838
    Organic Produce, grocery, deli, beer & wine, supplements & care products. Open daily 8am-10pm.

1954 SE Division St (at SE 20 th Ave) (97202) (map)
    503-445-2888
    Organic Produce, grocery, deli, beer/wine, supplements & care products. Open daily 8am-10pm.

People's Food Co-op Reviews: Add
    3029 SE 21st Ave (at 1 block N of Powell Blvd) (97202) (map)
    503-232-9051
    Organic produce, deli, vitamins, homeopathic remedies. The store is 100% vegetarian (including rennet) except for pet food. Daily 8am-10pm.

The Daily Grind Natural Foods Reviews(2): Add/Read
    4026 SE Hawthorne Blvd (97214) (map)
    503-233-5521
    Organic Produce, Deli, Vitamins. One of the biggest draws at The Daily Grind is the Bakery, which produces a dazzling array of vegan and traditional pastries. Muffins, scones, brownies, and pies being among the most popular. A wide variety of fresh baked breads using wheat and alternatives such as spelt and kamut are also available. The hempseed bars are amazing, and the large "high protein" cookies are nearly a meal. Unique and eclectic, this is the "coolest" place to buy food in Portland.

Whole Foods Market Reviews: Add
    1210 NW Couch St (at Burnside between NW 12th and NW 13th) (97209) (map)
    503-525-4343
    Large natural foods supermarket with fresh produce, vitamins, grocery, care products, deli, bakery, and more; try the vegan donuts. Open daily.

Wild Oats Market - Bridgeport Reviews: Add
    7485 SW Bridgeport Rd (at Tigard) (97224) (map)
    503-598-7650
    Organic produce, deli, vitamins, juices, grocery, care products, and more. Open daily.

Wild Oats Market - Fremont Reviews: Add
    3535 NE 15th Ave (97212) (map)
    503-288-3414
    Organic produce, deli, vitamins, juices, grocery, care products, and more. Open daily.

Wild Oats Market - Hillsdale Reviews(1): Add/Read
    6344 SW Capitol Hwy (97239) (map)
    503-244-3110

Wild Oats Market - Laurelhurst Reviews: Add
    2825 E Burnside St (97214) (map)
    503-232-6601

Info from this link:

http://www.happycow.net/north_americ...and/index.html
    Robert Cheeke
    "Let yourself be silently drawn by the strong pull of what you love" -Annonymous

Blossoming Lotus is a great cafe that shares space with a yoga studio. It's the best raw food in the city, the best and healthiest breakfast and by far the coolest people working behind the counter. By the end of the summer I will have eaten everything on the menu.

I just spent a week in Portland preparing for my move and I met about 10 vegans (that I know of). While the east side of the river has more vegan options, the west side has a lot as well. I never had to describe veganism to anyone in a restaurant even once. And the local farmer's market had a vegan bakery stand. Every city should be like this.

I loved Portland when I went there on vacation years ago.

It was the place I met my first vegan!

I would love to move there - it is the best place I have been in this country.

DianeVegan and BodyBuilder - Oregon has one of the highest unemployment rates in the country - was it hard to find a job there?

Wildflower,
    It wasn't difficult to find a job but that's only because I am in a field where most hospitals are short staffed. I am very fortunate to have been able to make this move. I don't know much about the job market in Portland but if you want to move here I hope it turns out to be a good opportunity for you.

Thanks Diane.

Unfortunately, my boyfriend is not too thrilled with moving to a place with both earth quakes and tidal waves!

But I thought maybe I could convince him to move inland a bit... either way, it won't be for awhile. I hate living here, but we only do as my boyfriend attends a school here. This is also a good place for his job field (Midwest/mechanical engineering). Alas...I can dream!

Limey

This thread is really making me want to move there, or visit at the least. Maybe I can incorporate Portland with my trip to Seattle next year. I might fall in love and move and crush my mother's heart. Oy.

i know the feeling talia!!

i would love to move to portland, but i have my sites set on chicago (today, but it always changes) because it is a lot closer to my family!
    i don't think i could mentally tolerate the overcast weather, in portland. i can barely stand it here!!!

Oh yeah, Portland is only 2 1/2 - 3 hours drive south of Seattle....You have to make it down! Portland really does rock.

Check this out:

http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/php...forum.php?f=27
    Robert Cheeke

Limey

I've always wanted to live in Seattle, but don't know if I could deal with the overcast days, etc.

Mophoto, I know what you mean - I change my mind daily about that, too. Well, everything really. Can't make a decision to save my life.

Quote veganwitch
    It seems like the northeast US is the exact antithesis of the northwest.
    Just my luck
    I agree - which is weird because the Northeast is generally just as liberal if not more so than some of the northwest so I feel like there should be more alternative options. Even Boston doesn't have much, they do in select areas but for such a big city with a huge student population I thought it would have a lot more.
    "An outside enemy exists only if there is anger inside."
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

If you can afford to change locations during the year you could live in Portland or Seattle in the spring and summer, and then Los Angeles or Austin in the winter Of if you want East Coast vegan stuff, live in Virginia or North Carolina or New York part of the year and then San Fran, Boulder, or Victoria, B.C. other parts of the year. Then you get vegan-friendly all year round.

My friend will be doing that soon. Living in Vancouver B.C. for the spring and summer and then living in L.A. for the fall and winter. Nice weather and nice vegan places the whole year.
    Robert Cheeke

Limey

Hmm, sounds nice, how the heck does one go about doing something like that? My job is stationary. I get to go nowhere. Bah!

Yeah, it has to be the right situation. My friend is an author/speaker and Pro Athlete, so he can move around really easily. I also can't do it yet, but in the somewhat near future, I'd like to live in multiple places to get lots of sun and lots of great vegan food and culture.
    Robert Cheeke

I'd say california, because I'm from California and there is alot of support and access to the vegan cuisine all year round, and alot of education on the lifestyle i've taken so many free classes, I'm in the beach communitys and even if one isn't vegan, you will be respected and embraced for following the path, you will not be put down.....I'm in the public and everyone is interested and gracious, I have never had an issue in life...I have encountered alot of hostility on line...I can't generalize that wiould be unfair, but it does seem to come more from the midwest and southern states, and Some parts of the UK.....Australia seems to be split, also Canada is very progressive, if i was to move that is where I would go.....
    Mother nature doesn't except excuses only man does.....

I used to live in Seattle, and it was a dream. Amazingly clean for a city that size, very friendly towards alternative lifestyles - but too darn expensive, which is why I'm no longer there. Portland is great, too. Now husband and I live in Kentucky. Bad move! It's not very friendly to anyone outside the conservative, meat-and-potatoes crowd. We're really unhappy here, and that's in spite of being in the second largest city in the state and a university town to boot. Can't wait to move on to someplace else! We're looking at intentional communities nationwide, though we'd love to go back to the northwest if we could find someplace affordable.
    For innumerable reasons, the Bodhisattva, whose nature is compassion, is not to eat any meat. -- The Buddha, Lankavatara Sutra

I don't think there are many in Bendigo Australia where I live

If you like the country, Watkins Glen, NY, where Farm Sanctuary NY is located, is very vegan friendly. Restaurants, grocery, etc. Everybody knows what vegan is and is accepting. Housing is cheap: $150,000-250,000 buys a nice house. I have no idea what the job situation is. But if you want country, mountains, rural, it's probably among the most vegan friendly out there.

4.5 hours from NYC. On one of the Finger Lakes.

Oh and the state park there, a long, deep gorge with a stream and waterfalls running through, is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been.

Plus you can go to Farm Sanctuary whenever you want!

Quote moonshadow View Post
    if you don't want to live in a place that has a big city feel, try santa cruz, california, or its surrounding area. very vegan friendly and not a huge city
    VERY vegan friendly. There's a wonderful shop called Staff of Life, and another, pricier one in Capitola called Newleaf. I hope they're still there. I moved away in '98. It's expensive, but a fun place to live. And go to Capitola Book Cafe for me, too.

looks like its time to plan a portland vacation

how's the vegan situation in san diego? (for future reference. b/c i visit my friend every other summer)

We wanted to move to Portland but man its expensive!

i grew up in austin and now live in new york.
    both are extremely vegan friendly !
    i've been very fortunate in that regard ...
    if you're curious about either i can go into further detail ...

Quote maya View Post
    Well it is defo not Florida that's for sure!
    I agree