Thread: Asparagus and foul smelling urine

VeganJohn

Thumbs down Asparagus and foul smelling urine

I love asparagus and had some today, totally gorgeous. Unfortunately, a 'side effect' of eating the stuff is that when I go to the loo my urine has a very unpleasant and distinct smell. I always experience this when I eat asparagus. I know I am not alone, as other people have reported the same.

Does anyone know why this happens, is it a specific chemical in the asparagus? Do you perhaps not experience this when you eat it?

I have been intrigued about this for ages :>

Default Re: Asparagus and foul smelling urine

I don't get this, but I know a load of people do. My ex would always shout about 'stinky pee' from the bathroom, post-asparagus

sometimes I think my pee smells like Sugar Puffs (the cereal), weird because I never eat them. ever.
    "I've been very hungry, but not enough to kill" - The Clash

Just found this:

The website WebMD blames this smell on the break-up of a chemical called mercaptan. That said, asparagus contains a half-dozen sulfur-based chemicals identical ones found in other such lovely smells as rotten eggs, garlic breath and skunk spray. There is some controversy in the scientific community over exactly which by-product, or combination of by-products, causes the asparagus urine smell. The first published study on the phenomenon, written in 1891 by a man going by the name of "Nencki," found that the smell was caused by a metabolite called methanethiol. So far, this conclusion seems about as sound as any.

Here:

http://www.greenworks.tv/askgreenworks/asparagus.htm
    "I've been very hungry, but not enough to kill" - The Clash

Apparently not everyone can smell it. I've never eaten loads of asparagus, but I haven't noticed a smell from small amounts.
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

I get that too, VJ. I only need to eat a small amount and my wee smells (but not too badly as I am a girl after all!). I think it gives me stomach ache too sometimes.
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Quote wilson
    sometimes I think my pee smells like Sugar Puffs (the cereal), weird because I never eat them. ever.
    Sometimes I smell like that too or chicken noodle soup.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Quote Rob(QG)
    Apparently not everyone can smell it. I've never eaten loads of asparagus, but I haven't noticed a smell from small amounts.
    I heard that some people don't have the "stinky pee" after asparagus. It depends on if you have a certain enzyme that makes the smelly chemical or not. I have it, but I don't care because asparagus is yuuuuummmy!

Cheers,
    rant
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter." --Yoda

Quote rantipole
    I heard that some people don't have the "stinky pee" after asparagus. It depends on if you have a certain enzyme that makes the smelly chemical or not. I have it, but I don't care because asparagus is yuuuuummmy!

Cheers,
    rant
    Me too! I love the stuff! It is wonderful in season and I am going to eat all I can of it. I can't see why anyone else would be sniffing my urine either...

I just heard recently that not everyone has the gene to smell the smelly pee, and not everyone has the gene that makes your pee smelly.

So I guess if you can smell your own it is a lose/lose or win/win depending upon your attitude!

I personally don't like asparagus (never have...) but I do occasionally get fed it and as obviously it is at least vegan (usually) I will eat it. I have never noticed my pee smelling funny...maybe I am lacking in the genes?

Quote VeganJohn
    I love asparagus and had some today, totally gorgeous. Unfortunately, a 'side effect' of eating the stuff is that when I go to the loo my urine has a very unpleasant and distinct smell. I always experience this when I eat asparagus. I know I am not alone, as other people have reported the same.

Does anyone know why this happens, is it a specific chemical in the asparagus? Do you perhaps not experience this when you eat it?

I have been intrigued about this for ages :>
    Same here lol

Limey

I don't have this gene apparently, but almost wish I did just to see what it smells like. However, I refuse to go around asking to smell people's urine.

Mine always smells the same. Boring, perhaps?

VeganJohn

Interesting how some peple 'get it' or 'don't get it'

Asparagus, fresh especially, is divine indeed. Pity it's only in season a short time in the UK.

Limey

I'm glad I finally like asparagus. I used to hate it. I love it seasoned and grilled.

Although, I like just about anything grilled. Hell, I'll even try grilled lettuce.

VeganJohn

Never had grilled lettuce lol. I might like it though :>

Quote Talia
    Mine always smells the same. Boring, perhaps?
    It shouldn't do - it should smell based on what you have been eating/drinking.
    Coffee, mint, and loads of other things affect the smell.

Perhaps you have an exceptionally bland diet

Did anyone see the Brainiac episode where Jon Tickle had to identify what people had been eating by smelling their urine? He managed to get all of them right.
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

I didn't see it but Jon Tickle is so funny! See, a plus point for Big Brother!
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Yea its a genetic trait so some people have it and some people dont - kinda like how some people can roll their tongue and some people cant - its just one of those things
    "An outside enemy exists only if there is anger inside."
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

I found something interesting which explains this in more detail:

Peter Barham on asparagus pee

Why does my wee smell when I've eaten asparagus?
    Karen Marriott, Edinburgh

Friday September 23, 2005
    The Guardian

"Asparagus pee" has long been the subject of scientific debate. The problem is that if you ask people if their wee has an unpleasant, sulphurous smell after they've eaten asparagus, half say it does and half say it does not.
    Scientists used to believe that people digested asparagus differently and divided them into "excretors" and "non-excretors". We now know that it is not whether or not individuals excrete chemicals that makes the urine smell, but whether an individual can smell these chemicals. Scientists still argue whether or not all of us produce the chemicals that make the asparagus pee odour. Most people certainly produce them, but many can't smell them as they lack the necessary sensory cells in their noses.

Here's the rest of the article.

Actually, the gene is for whether or not you can smell it, not produce it. My friend's boyfriend can't smell it, she can, and she smelled it in his urine.

Nice convo, eh?

I get the same thing with coffee. One glass and awhile later my urine smells just like coffee.

Limey

Hmm, well, I'm feeling a need to go eat lots and lots of asparagus just to make sure I can or can't smell it. Sounds like fun to me.

Quote mn_nurse
    Actually, the gene is for whether or not you can smell it, not produce it.

I get the same thing with coffee. One glass and awhile later my urine smells just like coffee.
    Yeh, that's what it said in the article.

Me too with the coffee!