Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Veganism vs. Strict Vegetarianism

Default Re: Veganism vs. Strict Vegetarianism

I agree with Seaside. We have a definition which guides us in a common belief system. If people don't agree with it that's ok, but many of us do to the best of our ability. I don't think it should be something that is watered down into "if you don't eat meat but eat eggs you can still be a vegan' or I'm a leather pants wearing vegan who eats honey". Ethically this doesn't make a lot of sense to me. It's like a fish eating vegetarian. What does that mean? Fish don't feel pain??

Quote Seaside
    What bothers me about veganism seen as a trend, is that people misunderstand the reason for becoming vegan. People set out on a path towards veganism, and wherever they are on that path is good, as it is reducing animal exploitation to one degree or another. I personally feel that the definition of veganism is a simple one, and it must be maintained as it is, since none of us can live up to it 100%. And there is a big difference between those who can't, for various reasons like cost, or needing life-saving medication, and people who won't, because they think some aspects of veganism are too extreme.
    I totally agree! I too think that veganism is about doing your best to reduce animal (human and non-human) suffering and not about being "trendy." I know that we are all using animal products or causing animal suffering if we drive a car, ride a bike, use a computer, etc., but we can all DO our best
    When you are guided by compassion and loving-kindness, you are able to look deeply into the heart of reality and see the truth.--Thich Nhat Hanh

I'm surprised no one posted a link to the wiki entry for vegan:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegan

I consider myself on a vegan diet (exclude meat, egg, milk/diary).

In fort worth, texas people here (well, where I work) have no idea what a vegan diet is about. When I explain it to them, it seems like I was talking to a brick wall. They just don't get it. Some would ask why? It's so against the grain here. I'm surrounded by meat-eaters. It is cowtown after all.

To me, there are many sub-categories of veganism/vegetarianism. It doesn't really matter in the long run as long as one eats more veggie than meat. But can be offensive to someone who works hard at abstaining from consuming eggs and diary in addition to not eating meat to be labelled meerly as a "strict" vegetarian.

Quote veegun
    I'm surprised no one posted a link to the wiki entry for vegan:
    To me, there are many sub-categories of veganism/vegetarianism. It doesn't really matter in the long run as long as one eats more veggie than meat. But can be offensive to someone who works hard at abstaining from consuming eggs and diary in addition to not eating meat to be labelled meerly as a "strict" vegetarian.
    but by the same token it could also be offensive to someone who works hard to eliminate all animal products from their lifestyle and have a completely cruelty-free lifestyle to the best of their ability including material goods to be labelled the same thing as someone who only adheres to the dietary fraction of veganism. veganism is often seen as the highest level, most extreme so to speak, therefore its almost diluted and watered down if it is grouped in the same category with people only following a diet.
    "An outside enemy exists only if there is anger inside."
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

Very well put, Wishin. My mother follows a "mostly" vegan diet but says that she will never refer to herself as a vegan even if she ever eliminates all animal products from her diet. She won't make the other changes that my sister and I have made, she realizes that her lifestyle (and ethics) is different from ours, and therefore she is happy getting what she wants from her diet without giving herself a label.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

*** throws in the towel ***

Quote veegun
    *** throws in the towel ***
    I'm dont mean to offend you or get you discouraged - Im just trying to give you the other side of things as well. Maybe you could look into starting to phase out and research the animal byproducts in material goods as well as sticking to a vegan diet.
    "An outside enemy exists only if there is anger inside."
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

*** picks towel up ***

Well, after being on this forum, I've learned a great deal about veganism. I especially like the one about animal able to smell a vegan person from a meat-eater. I wasn't offended (maybe a bit discouraged). I just felt like whatever I was going respond with would result in another counter response. Which then causes a response to the counter response, etc. But then isn't that what a debate/forum is for??

Anyway, I was going to respond with something to that effect. I figured after several months of trying out the vegan diet I would probably end up not purchasing anything that has animal byproducts in them. But it would be a very slow and gradual process.

*** hugs Wishin986 ***

Veegun,

I'm glad you are not totally discouraged. Many people become vegan after trying a vegan diet for awhile. Considering the amount of brainwashing that happens to us from our family to the health field to the media, it's no wonder that some people don't accept or grasp all the aspects of veganism from the beginning. But like any change, it's a process - you just happen to be at the beginning steps.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

nancyrella

Very well put and I agree with you on most points but only that part I differ;

Quote Wishin986 View Post
    ...a lot of people are out there just to use it as a weight loss tool or a fad diet and I don't think that should be classified as veganism but strict vegetarianism considering its centered around vanity and not animals.
    Since when does dieting and loosing weight make you vain? As well as trying to because healthier?