Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How does your G.P. treat you?

Default How does your G.P. treat you?

I'm just interested to know what your experiences of going to the doctor are like with regard to being vegan.
    My experiences are usually negative, once I tell the doctor I'm vegan I get a look of something bordering on pity and am usually told I'm probably lacking in iron. One doctor told me I needed to eat 'red meat', when I told him I hadn't eaten 'red meat' in over 30yrs and that any blood tests I ever had [including ones for iron levels] were always normal he looked at me as if to say "I find that hard to believe".
    Once when I told a female G.P. that I couldn't take the tablets she was prescribing as the capsules contained gelatine, she replied, "They're made of plastic aren't they?"
    Well, I'm no doctor but I don't think swallowing pieces of plastic four times a day for a week would be good for you!
    I would love to hear your experiences with G.P's and how you dealt with them as it would help me the next time I have to visit my doctor.

Default Re: How does your G.P. treat you?

My doc knows that I'm vegan, and he is very interested. He said "whatever you're eating, just carry on because it is obviously doing you good!"
    Eve

i just got a new doctor, and i told her i was vegan and she said "thats good! thats a very healthy diet to be on!!" i was surprized.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

I have been to see the same doc for a couple of years and i always dread it, being vegetarian i always felt she thought i was some nieve little child who didn't know what was good for her, she made me feel so small. I can't wait to see her reaction next time i see her (being vegan and all) pfft... I hate how doctors presume to know everything, she told me before any blood tests that i was anaemic and prescribed me hella strong iron tablets, i never took the tablets and a couple months later returned she did a blood test and low and behold i was no longer aneamic- bloody brilliant, she was like see i knew those tablets would be fine, but you really should include red meat in your diet- at least once a week! pfft... doctors... i think i need to find a new one, perhaps one like eve's!

Hi Eve, I wish I had your doctor. Do you always see the same one or do you see whoever you can get an appointment with?

Hi foxytina, I would hold on to that doctor of yours she seems brilliant!

i went for a platelet count blood test the other week, just to make sure all ok.

told doc i was vegan and thats why i wanted to make sure i was doing it right, health and diet wise. he said 'we dont need meat anyway'

test was ok too!

i definitely will. and shes also an older lady, and usually older doctors are 'old fashioned' with diets and such. but she was very smart about several things and i was really quite excited!
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Hi claireyveg, did you tell the doctor you didn't take the tablets? I would love to know what her reaction was if you did. My daughter is 18 and she gets the same response when she visits the doctor, she went recently about migraine headaches and was more or less told it was because she needed to eat meat!

Hi cedarblue, you see that's the sort of doctor I would love to have! You are very lucky.

hi sandra: generally i dont mention im vegan if i visit my gp, i dont see it as an issue that is going to 'cause' the odd ailment. when i mentioned it to him as one aspect of my wanting to check my blood health, apart from saying what he did, he didnt really see it as any sort of issue either.

if i visit the gp and i consider my diet to have any bearing on the ailment then i mention it, if i dont then i dont.

Hi cedarblue, yes I'm the same, I usually don't mention I'm vegan but since I have been troubled with stomach ulcers they usually ask me about my diet. I have noticed that since I have become vegan my stomach problems have all gone!

I always see the same doc and he's a nutritionist. I haven't told him I'm vegan though - the opportunity hasn't really presented itself. I do try to go to the doc as little as possible, especially as here you can't make an appointment, you have to take a number and get in line like you're at the deli counter So you might find yourself waiting all morning Luckily I can phone up for repeat prescriptions, that saves my sanity

Yeh I mentioned i never took the iron tablets (they're rumoured to give you constipation and black stools , no thank-you!!) and she kinda just grunted at me, lol, i kinda half think she didn't believe me, but i think she didn't want to admit she was wrong, hehe

[quote=sandra]Well, I'm no doctor but I don't think swallowing pieces of plastic four times a day for a week would be good for you!
    quote]

That is funny Sandra.
    My doctors knew when I was vegetarian but never commented either way. Recently I took my daughter and mentioned when we were there I'd 'gone' vegan and how my asthma had improved. All my doctor said was "You should have done it sooner then"!!! x
    All of life is a dream walking
    All of death is a going home Chinese saying

My doctor is a moron. Her solution to everything is to drink lots of water and come back in two weeks.

It's a shame there's no good doctors under our local authority. I can understand why so many people go private, but I can't afford it

Hi Poppy, thats great that your asthma has improved, I feel a lot better health wise too since I've been vegan so hopefully I won't need to go back to the doctor!

Hi Fiamma, I don't think I'd like having to wait my turn to see the doctor, especially if you aren't feeling too well. Although I do remember as a child having to do just that, it is much better now with appointments although you nearly have to book in advance as sometime it's weeks before you can see someone!

Kinda off topic but I asked my optometrist if the eye troubles I was having could be related to diet.

I was surprised when she said she could not recommend a better diet for eyes!

I felt that was the case but I didn't expect such a resounding approval.

Not too much fat, not too much sugar, low risk of glaucomas, high in vitamins; maybe I should take some pamphlets in.
    "if compassion is extreme, then call me an extremist"

Hi vegandrummersam, I laughed at what you said about your doctor, it is so true, they either say something like that or they put every illness down to a virus!

Hi veganblue, That's good news that our vegan diet is particularly good for the eyes. It's nice to know that there are some in the medical profession who actually admit that our diet is the healthiest!

My GP thinks being vegan is great. It's the doctors I work with at the hospital who think I'm crazy! Even though I am in better health than most of them, the docs and nurses just don't get it. In old times, medicine was about nutrition. The biggest mistake ever made by the medical profession was losing this view and unfortunately, until the unwieldy system we have in place now figures out a way to make a profit off of good nutrition ....... things will continue as is.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Quote sandra
    Hi vegandrummersam, I laughed at what you said about your doctor, it is so true, they either say something like that or they put every illness down to a virus!
    I've had to become quite an expert on my own health. I'd hate to think what they'd say if I told them I was Vegan. It would probably the last thing they said as a doctor.

with medicine

I've had no problems with doctors (in Surrey, Essex and the Midlands) and my veganism - if anything it's been a positive thing. My doctor at uni was telling me about how he doesn't eat 'red' meat and said he didn't think my diet was a problem at all when i asked him whether deficiency could be a problem affecting my tiredness (which turned out just to be because i went to bed on a regular basis far too late). I asked to be referred however to a nutricianalist just incase, who said my diet was one of the healthiest she'd ever seen a uni student have and definately not a cause for concern.

Generally they aren't very helpful when it comes to prescribing things that are vegan friendly (or more so than xxx), but i've had doctors in the past get out their books and find me stuff available from companies I don't boycott or pills without lactose and geletin.

I'm sure there's a lot of really crappy doctors out there (I've seen ones which I know more about the thing after reading online for a few hours than them), but I also think that in some cases it's the patients funny attitude towards doctors/medecine which is the cause of tension. I once went to an appointment with one such person for moral support and the doctor in question could not have been more professional, yet my friend was convinced the doctor was crap, hated and couldn't give a toss about her for no reason than her own prejudice.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Quote sandra
    Hi cedarblue, yes I'm the same, I usually don't mention I'm vegan but since I have been troubled with stomach ulcers they usually ask me about my diet. I have noticed that since I have become vegan my stomach problems have all gone!
    Hi Sandra, I had stomach ulcer too (before I was vegan) my doc advised me to consume more dairy products- they aggravated the problem . Since being vegan I haven't had any problems though(only a minor twinge when I drink myself silly ). My experience with doctors has not been good.

I've had different doctors, but not one have negatively commented my diet. My current doctor is a young Indian female, she said a vegan diet is great! But then again, vegan doesn't automatically mean "great"...many vegans eat junk and are far from healthy. Maybe doctors should ask more questions instead of jumping to conclusions too fast.
    "Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends". ~ George Bernhard Shaw.

I never told my doctor I was vegan. I don't think I have too....why should I?
    Peace, love, and happiness.

The only time I have ever had my doc mention it was when I stopped being vegan and had went veggie then started eating meat. I had been getting really ill, fainting all over the place and had no energy and it turned out I was very badly anaemic. The doc says "there is a note here saying you are a vegan, this will be what is causing it" and I was like "umm this only started when I started eating meat". It stopped when I stopped eating meat again.

Hi Nadine, I'm glad to hear your health has improved too since being vegan, and like you I sometimes over indulge in wine which can upset my stomach but that's my own fault! I feel at peace with myself now that I am vegan, and I think that has helped me healthwise aswell.

My uni doctors have all been quite nice to me, although one of them when i went to see her about dizzy spells i was getting said that i didn't need a blood test for it because i looked healthy. Then she stopped and said, "but you're not vegetarian are you?" and i replied with "No i'm vegan" at which point she pulled a funny face and decided that i'd better have a blood test. My bloods were all perfectly healthy though it just kept me chuckling for ages though hehe.
    "We ourselves may be loved only for a brief time...Even so, that will suffice...There is a land for the living and there is a land for the dead"

Hi Ara, I would have loved to have seen your doctors face when she read all your normal blood test results!

My GP has always been fine, no problems at all. I wouldnt listen to him if he made a negitive comment anyway.

My doc seems anti-vegan, so I'm thinking of finding another--but in this dinky town I'm not sure what luck I'll have. He didn't go on-and-on about it, but he did do a blood check and was surprised that the markers for iron and B12 were fine. He started lecturing me on getting B12 and iron, but I actually had to explain to him about nutrition Docs generally don't know squat about it, but they think they do
    When you are guided by compassion and loving-kindness, you are able to look deeply into the heart of reality and see the truth.--Thich Nhat Hanh

I had one GP who saw me for shin splints. I told him I ran every morning in the park and that I walk almost everywhere, he asked me, "Why do you run and walk so much?"

He was in his 60s and didn't "believe" in computers, as his whole desk was a mess of papers. He also didn't "believe" in exercise. I never even mentioned I was a vegan, because I could just imagine the type of crap he would have come up with.

Then I changed to this other GP. He's French, climbs mountains in India, drinks herbal teas, and is really into alternative medicines and therapies. When I told him I didn't consume any animal products or animal derived products, he told me to go online and look up all I could about B12, and that he thought that tofu was a wonder food, and to make sure I always ate my proteins with carbs, at the same meal. And that was it.

Quote catalina
    I had one GP who saw me for shin splints. I told him I ran every morning in the park and that I walk almost everywhere, he asked me, "Why do you run and walk so much?"

Then I changed to this other GP. He's French, climbs mountains in India, drinks herbal teas, and is really into alternative medicines and therapies. When I told him I didn't consume any animal products or animal derived products, he told me to go online and look up all I could about B12, and that he thought that tofu was a wonder food, and to make sure I always ate my proteins with carbs, at the same meal. And that was it.
    It wasn't doctors, but I know I've run into "laypeople" at the gym I go to who ask me, "why are you exercising? You don't need to lose weight!" I'm still stunned by that kind of thinking, as exercise is necessary for a healthy body whether it's "overweight" or not

The French doc sounds like a pretty good doc. He wouldn't like me though as I'd have to point out to him that you don't have to eat proteins with carbs at the same meal. As long as you have complementary proteins within the same day, you'll be fine But then as many complex carbohydrate servings as you're supposed to have in a day, they'd probably have to be with most every meal anyway wouldn't they
    When you are guided by compassion and loving-kindness, you are able to look deeply into the heart of reality and see the truth.--Thich Nhat Hanh

I was too grateful that he wasn't giving me the usual bs to notice anything hinky about his advice. I was just sitting there and basking in the warm glow of his acceptance...quite a rare treat for me nowadays...

You're right though, when do you eat a 100% bean lunch??

When I went to see my GP once he never really bothered about the veganism that much tried to tell me "how he loves animals to but wouldn't go that far" kinda thing but that was about it. He also seemed to presume I lived off just vegetables/fruit tofu type things! Haha he'd probably die if he saw how much cakes etc I eat sometimes.

I don't think many GP's know what veganism is even though they should learn in my opinion as most vegans aren't going to eat meat just because the GP told them to although I bet some would. Most of them seem to think people need meat/dairy/eggs to survive. Btw I am actually dead I cut out meat etc and just dropped dead on the floor...lol.
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

He does not lecture me as such but he tells me that veganism is not normal...I ask him is my health bad apart from the reason I am here now.

So as a whole not bad at all, but its harder to get an appointment with my own GP as surgery are all under strain...mind to be fair I have had no reason to visit a GP in 3 years.
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams

An aquiantance of mine is into macrobiotic diet and she tried it the vegan way. She told me how her cholestrol went down significantly and how much better she felt overall. But recently she told me that she's been "forced" back to eating chicken , because she started to feel sluggish and her doctor recommended adding meat to her diet...no mentioning of what vegetables or supplements she could add instead. So, now she claims that the vegan diet just "wasn't working" for her.

Isn't that what they all say when they either feel it's too difficult or they don't study vegan nutriton enough to thrive. And many doctors are the first one to confirm that lack of meat is what's making them feeling "weak" and "tired". In my opinion she would have been better off going to a vegan nutritionist, who could advice her on what she needed to change or add to make her succeed with her new diet.
    "Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends". ~ George Bernhard Shaw.

My doctor hates me anyway. Im always so polite to her and all i get is rudeness. I said i was vegan and she said "well what do you eat?" What a hard question to answer. I said "well lots of things vegetables, nuts, fruits, rice, pasta, chocolate.." she just rolled her eyes!
    This was the first time i had ever been to see her. My husband was there for something as well and even though no one had said anything even remotely related she said " youve had depression in the past...self harm..." and then continued to ring off a list of the things on my medical history.
    Isnt that confidential?

She then said to me "youre significantly overweight." even though i know that. she knows that. anyone who sees me can see that. she didnt weigh me but obviously her powers of sight determined the weight she entered into the computer. THEN she weighed me!
    i bet the file says im thirty stone now!

so much more i could type about her but nevermind. I dont want to get all worked up.

Hi Lydia,
    What a nasty woman your doctor is, that's just the kind of attitude I'm talking about! I've had doctors ask me in the past what I eat and then sit looking at me with a sarcastic look on their faces as if I'm some sort of stupid child. My husband is vegetarian and also over the weight these doctors think we all should be, but one doctor had the cheek to give him diet sheets [all containing meat] and the doctor was even heavier than my husband was!
    It's not a nice experience anyway going to the doctor without having to contend with their stupid attitude aswell, but just remember Lydia you are a far better person than she is!

feral

I know a very good doctor in the Carryduff area, who's vegetarian if it's anyway near you Sandra.

Hi feral, I live in Glengormley, I'm not sure if you can go to doctors outside your area. I must find out about that as I would love a vegetarian doctor.

feral

Aaahh it might be a bit far for you then Sandra, wonder if the vegetarian society have a friendly gp list?

I will look into that feral, if they can help me with that I would be so grateful, I try to avoid going to the doctor if I can, but sometimes you just can't put it off! If I knew I could see someone who understood where I was coming from it would be a great help, thanks for the advice, Sandra

I never understood what a GP is for.

I always saw specialists...opthamologist, gynocologist and an allergist (i have asthma and allergies).

A few years ago my allergist said I needed to find a GP. I asked why, and he said, "Well what will you do if you have unexplained vaginal bleeding!" Which cracked me up, but I guess I would see a gynocologist or go to the ER!

Anyway, I found one, and then i went to see him when I had the flu really bad the year before last. He said he couldn't do anything for me, and gave me codeine cough syrup to help me sleep, and then precription ibuprofin to help my fever. I had a fever with this flu for months...I was so miserable, I went back and he said he could try and antibiotic, even though I had a virus.

Long story short - when I saw the allergist, he yelled at me for going to the GP when I had a bad flu w/cough and said he treated it wrong, and that my lungs were damaged and I needed a steriod inhaler for a few months to fix my lungs. AND, the ibuprofin was killing my stomach, I was waking up in the middle of the night with horrible stomach pain, and since it still hurts on and off.

Stupid GP. I still don't get what they do! I get any blood work done at the gynocologists...

My boyfriend sees the GP for a physical each year, and he told him he was vegetarian, and the Dr said, "Good, meat isn't even meat anymore, it is just antibitocs."

So that sounded promising... I tell my gynocoligist I want an iron test since I am vegetarain, and they just say, OK. Never much thought to it. My iron is always fine.

Quote Wildflower
    I never understood what a GP is for.
    I think it might be different in the US. I know here, you have to see your GP first before being referred to another docotor. As far as I know, you can't just call up some specialist doctor, you have to be refered.

Quote Tigerlily
    I think it might be different in the US. I know here, you have to see your GP first before being referred to another docotor. As far as I know, you can't just call up some specialist doctor, you have to be refered.
    Hi Tigerlily. I was off to bed but then saw this post. Yep it's the same here. We see our GP and if we need to see a specialist they have to refer us. x
    All of life is a dream walking
    All of death is a going home Chinese saying

Yep. Is health care free?

My GP is great, she was really interested in why I'd become vegan and we talked about it for ages, she herself is vegetarian and said she would consider becoming vegan after talking to me : ]

Sandra where in NI are you from!?