Thread: Vegan Products In Canada

Red face Vegan Products In Canada

Is there any products I can buy here in Canada, or if someone wants to give me a list of everything you buy, and where you bought it from. It would be helpful, so I at least know what to look for.

Thanx-

Default Re: Vegan products in Canada

Hi Laurin, and welcome! Please check this thread in the Canada subforum! (And - don't forget that many vegans live on a vegan diet without eating any vegan special products at all....) Good luck!

Okay, thank-you!

Hi Laurin, where in Canada are you?

Kelowna, British Columbia!

Ooooo nice one! We have a house in Kelowna and my mother-in-law lives in it. It's so beautiful up there.

I guess there's probably not as much variety up there, as there is in Vancouver, for prepared vegan foods - but there is a health food store on Bernard Avenue, that seems to have a good selection of vegan groceries and goodies.

Also, I have shopped at the Save on Foods in the Mission, and the produce department there has a good selection of tofu and fake meats.

Yeah, I've been to the health food store occasionally I buy my makeup there, but it is quite expensive so I've been trying to find alternatives.

Are there Vegan Oreo cookies in Canada? One of my friends wants to know. We have them in the US and a brand name is Newman O's.

Thanks,

-Robert Cheeke

I've never seen Newman O's here but yes, there are organic oreo-style cookies here. Argh! I can't remember the name of them, but they are something like organic sandwich cream cookies. They are very tasty! They can be found at a few grocery stores, but all of the natural foods stores seem to have them.

Thanks, I appreciate it. I'll pass the word along.

I hope to visit B.C. again this summer. My friend Brendan Brazier lives there and I've got family in the area.

-Rob
    Robert Cheeke
    "Let yourself be silently drawn by the strong pull of what you love" -Annonymous

Quote Bodybuilder
    Are there Vegan Oreo cookies in Canada? One of my friends wants to know. We have them in the US and a brand name is Newman O's.

Thanks,

-Robert Cheeke
    Real Oreos are vegan and trans-fat free here.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

FR

Quote Bodybuilder

Thanks,

-Robert Cheeke
    Never fear, Newman O's are available in Canada:

http://www.godairyfree.org/productlist/cookies.htm

Now your friend won't have to subject themselves to the inferior flavor of Oreo cookies (not to mention the artificial crap, and GMO's in them).

Hmmmm I wonder where. I've never seen them here.

Quote Roxy
    Hmmmm I wonder where. I've never seen them here.
    I never seen them here either, and my grocery store actually carries a lot of organic cookies (most aren't vegan though).

I have a feeling you'd only be able to find them in some hoity toity store in Ontario or something.

Well you can tell me when you get there!

A while ago, I checked out the Hoity Toity Whole Foods in West Vancouver and didn't see them there.

I've never seen Newman O's at any of the health food stores in Victoria either. They have them in Hilo though, so maybe I'll buy some and smuggle them through customs . I'm already smuggling a whole HEAP of Wha Guru Chews because my BF says he can't find them at the heath food stores in Victoria, and I'm addicted to them!
    "Man can do as he wills, but not will as he wills" - Arthur Schopenhauer

OK, here's a hoity toity Ontario update

I just bought some great cookies here in Ottawa, from my local hippie haven, Herb & Spice. They're called "Chocolate Mo'mints" from New Moon Kitchen, and they're pretty darn nice, I must say. Haven't been to the website, but it's newmoonkitchen.com - not that cookies are the sort of thing you'd want to buy mail order - whips and (fake) furry handcuffs maybe, but not cookies.

From the same store I bought a new deodorant a few days ago (after finally cutting ties with the BS) - it's a peppermint flavoured one from Avalon Organics, love it. It's made in Canada, the URL is avalonorganics.com.

and that concludes my consumer bulletin
    "I've been very hungry, but not enough to kill" - The Clash

Ohhhhh those cookies look divine, Wilson!! What a shame they aren't available in B.C. My sister-in-law is coming from Ontario in a couple of weeks, so maybe I'll post her the website and see if she can pick me some up from any of the stores listed.

Hey Tigerlily - you'll be able to get these cookies soon!!

Oh Wilson - you just made me home sick! I'm originally from Ottawa. The Herb and Spice! 20+ years ago when I was a punk rock street kid and vegetarian rookie that store was my mecca!
    Also - Avalon makes the BEST deoderant! It is the only one I have found that can hold up to my mountain biking and running in the summer! I like the lavander one myself. Smells like a spa...

YAY! Cookies!

Quote portiakitty
    Oh Wilson - you just made me home sick! I'm originally from Ottawa. The Herb and Spice! 20+ years ago when I was a punk rock street kid and vegetarian rookie that store was my mecca!
    Also - Avalon makes the BEST deoderant! It is the only one I have found that can hold up to my mountain biking and running in the summer! I like the lavander one myself. Smells like a spa...
    haha glad I could bring back some good memories. I didn't realise H&S had been around for over 20 years, that's really cool. It's a great store, a godsend to have right downtown. And they still employ the punky/arty/alternative types, so the vibe probably hasn't changed that much.

I'm afraid the Avalon wasn't up to scratch for me, it turns out (I had the peppermint one), but I'm using another one now, an unscented Aloe stick, I think the company is Alba? Anyway, that seems to be holding up for now

It's good to hear that the old Herb & Spice hasn't lost its edge.
    As for deoderant, I have a friend here who finds that the only one that works for her is the one from the Body Shop. I know it's not Canadian, and I also know some people have issues with the BS, but I hear that they make a mean deoderant. I think it boils down to personal chemistry. Avalon works for me, but not you, I've tried one's that work for friends that do nothing for me. Good luck on your quest! At least you have yummy cookies to nibble while you look!

Just another thought on the deoderant - it sometimes takes a week or so for a natural deoderant to work. I'm not sure why, but I have found that sometimes when I stick it out with one (because I don't have a choice) it does start to work after a few days.
    Perhaps for the same reason that you can become 'immune' to one after a while.

Quote portiakitty
    It's good to hear that the old Herb & Spice hasn't lost its edge.
    As for deoderant, I have a friend here who finds that the only one that works for her is the one from the Body Shop. I know it's not Canadian, and I also know some people have issues with the BS, but I hear that they make a mean deoderant. I think it boils down to personal chemistry.
    your friend is right - BS did have a fantastic deodorant. It came in a little white bottle, had camomile in it (I think), was unscented, and unbelievably good - sometimes lasting 2 days (though I do shower most days, of course )

However, they pulled it from their shelves recently, apparently they're relaunching it with aloe in July. I did want to avoid BS after the Loreal sellout, but went back after trying the Avalon stuff. Now I've found this new one courtesy of Herb & Spice, so I'll stick with that.

Yeah, it must have something to do with personal chemistry too I think. I loved the Avalon one, then was out on a hot day, and...not good . shame though, I did love the mint 'flavour'.

I also discovered Agave Nectar at Herb & Spice, love that stuff. Though, not to be used as a deodorant, of course.

I heard sage makes for a natural anti-perspirant. How would I go about using it? I have some fresh sage in the fridge...

Yeah, we're running out of options, with 'the enimy' buying up the 'good guys'! I still can't believe Tom's of Main is a proctor & gamble company now.
    Mmm - aquave - maybe not the best choice as a deoderant, but you'd be sweet!
    Would you believe that back in the day, H&S was the ONLY place in Ottawa to get tofu? Then China Town got a little bigger, and you could get it there, too. Yeah, the H&S made it possible for people to be vegetarian and vegan back then. We've come a long way baby!

I think you would use esecial oil of sage. Do you have a good herbal remidy book? It would tell you how to make esencial oil using fresh herbs. I know of anoth herb that is rreally good, but it escapes right right now.

I don't have an herbal remedy book, sadly. But I'll look into it, thanks.

I just noticed that I manage to mis-spell essential not once, but twice! Was typing quickly as something was calling my attention on the stove... Just had to point out that my spelling isn't THAT bad. Gotta love the ego eh?!
    By the way, you should be able to find books about essential oils and prepairing herbs in the library.

Quote portiakitty
    By the way, you should be able to find books about essential oils and prepairing herbs in the library.
    Thanks, I'll look.

Default Vegan Products In Canada

Can anyone help me with local brand names for basic foodstuffs like bread, soya milk and breakfast cereals that are vegan? I am visiting Vancouver and The Rockies in July and it would be helpful to know of local vegan products that I can buy and also whether these items are readily available in most shops?

Any advice please?

Default Re: Vegan Products In Canada

Breakfast cereals: Raisin Bran, Whole Wheat Shreddies, Red River, Flax Plus or Hemp Plus, most hot cereals
    Soymilk: Silk, So(y) Good/Delicious
    "Meats": Yves (the most common), Amy's

excellent - thanks for this information! you don't know of any breads do you?

Sorry, not really. We make most of our bread at home.

I've heard that Wonderbread is accidentally vegan- if you can doublecheck that, it should be available nearly anywhere.

great - thanks for your help!