Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bodybuilding

Default Bodybuilding

Hi all!! Just to let any budding fitness/rugby/power lifting or bodybulders that are Vegan, if you are low on protein (1.5g per pound of weight) Nutrisport and I have developed a Vegan protein (I am not on Nutrisports payroll by the way - and the protein is isolated pea proteins) - so you can now level the playing field with meat eaters!!

Oh and I am veggie (milk only) and the current British Natural Heavyweight Bodybuilding champ - at 18 stone - I reccomend it highly!!

beforewisdom

There is also this soy free vegan protein powder that comes with calcium, b-12, amino acids that vegans tend to be short on, and other nutrients:

http://www.naturade.com/products/det...Flavor=Natural

beforewisdom

If you still are in contact with the company there is a need ( and a market ) for a vegan protien bar ( soy free if possible ) with more protein then you can get from the LUNA or the CLIFF bars.

Tanya71

Default Soy Protein supplements

Can anyone recommend a good soy protein supplement? I have used Twinlabs Vegefuel and Spirutein Simply Natural.

Default Re: Soy Protein supplements

Why not just have beans? Multi grain or sprouted grain bread? Quinoa? Tofu? Soymeats?

I agree with Tigerlilly - why have a supplement when you can have the real thing?
    Eve

Quote Tanya71
    Can anyone recommend a good soy protein supplement? I have used Twinlabs Vegefuel and Spirutein Simply Natural.
    Do you want it for body building or something like that?

Tanya71

Yeah - I'm trying to build some muscle....

Default Four specific proteins found in meat to build muscle?

i have been a vegetarian for something around 13 years and a vegan since march. i was talking with a kid who, 1. called me a hypocrite, and 2. said that vegetarianism and veganism are wrong for these reasons (which are new to me): when trying to build muscle, like in bodybuilding, you need four specific protiens, found in the four meats (beef, pork, poultry, and fish).

how in gods name do i tell this kid hes wrong with making him cry and without making me seem defensive?

Default Re: has anyone heard this before?

uhm okay. you need all 8 (or 9, i cant remember) essential amino acids. meat has all of them, plants do not. but by eating a variety of foods during the day, you will combine your proteins and get all of your amino acids needed to maintain a healthy body. all meat has the same amino acids. there is no difference between the types of meat. protein is protein. there are no specific kinds of protein, and you dont need meat to get protein. plants contain all the amino acids to form the protein your body needs, as long as you eat a variety of foods.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Seaside

Actually there is new thinking on plants and complete proteins. There are plants which contain all eight essential amino acids, and it is not necessary to do food combining at each meal, as long as you eat a variety of foods during the day.

As for being a hypocrite, when faced with the choice of being a hypocrite or a killer, which is better? I don't think being vegan is hypocritical, but if it was, I wouldn't care. I don't understand why it is considered the ultimate sin. Steal, vandalise. rape, kill, but whatever you do, DON'T be a hypocrite!

Quote foxytina_69
    but by eating a variety of foods during the day, you will combine your proteins and get all of your amino acids needed to maintain a healthy body. all meat has the same amino acids.
    And - if this would not have been the case, meat eating humans would have had a problem, because they normally only eat meat from plant eating animals. These animals get their proteins from plants too.
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Quote Seaside
    Actually there is new thinking on plants and complete proteins. There are plants which contain all eight essential amino acids, and it is not necessary to do food combining at each meal, as long as you eat a variety of foods during the day.

As for being a hypocrite, when faced with the choice of being a hypocrite or a killer, which is better? I don't think being vegan is hypocritical, but if it was, I wouldn't care. I don't understand why it is considered the ultimate sin. Steal, vandalise. rape, kill, but whatever you do, DON'T be a hypocrite!
    thats what i said. you dont need to combine your foods, just eat a variety of foods every day and youll be fine

Quote cidnyk
    how in gods name do i tell this kid hes wrong with making him cry and without making me seem defensive?
    Personally I would be happy to make him cry AND hit him with a rolled up newspaper (Sunday Times with supplements)
    Silent but deadly :p

After that, show him this: http://www.veganbodybuilding.org/

I never saw such rubbish as the business about needing to eat the four meats. Ask him for his source.

i thought about telling him about that website, or even veganfitness.com, but he was very adament about being right, and i sort of figured that he was full of crap.

There is not point in talking to people like that. If that was me i would have walked away laughing. Try not to worry what people have to say.

cross barer

Default Re: Four specific proteins found in meat to build muscle?

And to add, bodybuilding doesn't create new muscle, it just makes existing muscle cells bigger. The amino acids required are for protein synthesis in the creation of new cells and tissue when the old dying stuff is replaced.

I recommend you start working out, then show him how much you need meat to build a healthy body (then kick him in the nuggets )

Default Re: Anti-Vegan/Veggie Propoganda

i do actually know of a few vegan bodybuilders. my uncle has a friend who is, not to mention there is an Olympic runner who is a vegan... i can't remember any others right off the top of my head, but I know there's a lot of them, and not to mention the fact that I have read a lot of text that says that it is totally fine to be a bodybuilder and a vegan. o, and my nutritionist (a sports nutritionist) is not worried about my veganism and i am very active and used to lift weight all the time
    Peace Love Surf.

Anybody know of any vegan bodybuilders? I'd love to prove to her that it can be done.
    He's not a bodybuilder, but I just got an e-mail today about this vegan triathlete who is giving a lecture at our campus soon. You should send her to his website... www.brendenbrazier.com

Quote munchymkr

Anybody know of any vegan bodybuilders? I'd love to prove to her that it can be done.
    Try http://www.veganfitness.net
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Quote alekolu
    He's not a bodybuilder, but I just got an e-mail today about this vegan triathlete who is giving a lecture at our campus soon. You should send her to his website... www.brendenbrazier.com
    My friend has no argument that a world class athelete can be vegan and healthy. Her statement that I want to refute is that

"No one will never be able to put on enough muscle on a vegan diet to compete as a bodybuilder"

You see she isn't talking about just a healthy diet etc. Her argument is that to compete as a bodybuilder you have to eat lots of meat.

According to her I would need about 100 grams of protein a day yet keep my total calories down to about 1250 to build muscle and get lean enough to get "ripped". I am a 5foot 4inch medium framed woman.

It was at lot more protein than that for the average guy. I think she said a man would need almost 200 grams of protein and around 2000 total calories.

The basic meal she outlines is a huge chicken breast with 1/2 cup of green veg and 1/2 cup of brown rice.

So I am specifically looking for info on competative bodybuilders.

wheatgrass juice <3

""Some 17 amino acids can be found in wheatgrass, including essential amino acids (those that the body can synthesize from food protein) as lysine, leucine, tryptophane, phenylalanine, threonine, valine & isoleucine. Some of the other amino acids found in wheatgrass are arginine, glutamic acid, histidine, serine & tyrosine.""

100-200 grams of protein?! was she looking to kill someones liver lol.

Have you seen the muscles on a gorilla? How does your friend think those are made?

Default Vegan Body Transformation

I'm not sure how to post photos on here, but this is a link of my body transformation over the years.

I'm a vegan bodybuilder, but I started out as a 120-pound non-vegan at age 15. I put on quite a bit of muscle over the years.

So when people say you can't gain muscle, strength, be healthy, strong, etc. on a vegan diet....have them take a look. I'm just one of many of the www.veganbodybuilding.com athletes who have made pretty awesome transformations on a vegan diet.

Here is a link to some photos:

http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/php...pic.php?t=1116

-Robert Cheeke

Default Re: Vegan Body Transformation

wow crazy - that's so awesome

Thanks for sharing pics and website!
    But for the sake of some little mouthful of flesh we deprive a soul of the sun and light, and of that proportion of life and time it had been born into the world to enjoy.
    Plutarch (in Moralia)

I don't see why people would think it wouldn't be possible. I thought all you had to do was excercise and get protien?
    ▼Laurin▼

Exactly, it is not hard to get protein or gain muscle, but for some reason the majority of the population doesn't think it is possible for vegans.

That is why a bunch of us who are vegan athletes get out there on TV, in movies, in magazines, etc. to show that it IS possible, which many of us vegans already know.

It all comes down to what we've been taught and what we believe to be "true" and slowly, there are a few of us getting out there in media to help bring awareness to the vegan fitness lifestyle.

Those little photos are mostly to inspire other vegans or for those thinking of becoming vegan but aren't sure they'll be able to be "healthy".

Thanks for the comments.
    Robert Cheeke
    "Let yourself be silently drawn by the strong pull of what you love" -Annonymous

Wow! You look amazing!

Can a 50 something woman start bodybuilding?

Default Re: Hello from Vegan Bodybuilder

Thanks for the welcome.

Here is one article. There are many many more on www.veganbodybuilding.com

Bodybuilding Basics by Robert Cheeke

To be a successful bodybuilder, you need to first start with the basics and be patient and allow your progress to take place. You must understand that results do not come overnight and to achieve a desired look you have to put in the time and dedicate hard work toward achieving your goals.

Bodybuilding basics include creating a workout schedule and sticking to it. This doesn’t mean doing the same exercises, it means training consistently with purpose and having a goal in mind. It means going to the gym even on the days you don’t really feel like it. It means making time to stay on schedule and stay on track. Don’t ever say, “I ran out of time to train today;” make time. The basics of bodybuilding also include an understanding of the role that a sound nutritional program plays in the progression of your physique transformation. Nutrition in a key element in bodybuilding, perhaps the most important and most overlooked component in the whole bodybuilding lifestyle. Other basics to remember are the exercises themselves. There are a few somewhat primitive power exercises that do more for you than any of the new-age equipment that is floating around late night television infomercials. These base exercises will be the foundation of your training and include squats, bench press, dead lifts, military press, leg press, chin-ups, barbell bicep curls, lunges, hanging leg raises, dips, dumbbell curls, and lateral raises. You don’t need cables or complicated machines for these exercises, you just need the basic equipment and a sense of determination and you will succeed in bodybuilding.

When in comes to your nutrition program you also stick to the basics as your core, but include other key elements to enhance your bodybuilding progress. The basics for nutrition are consuming large amounts of fresh green vegetables and a variety of fruits, to load yourself up with vibrant vitamins and minerals. When it comes to bodybuilding nutrition, the most important keys are to keep your immune system strong and to consume a large amount of protein and calories. Quality protein sources include tofu, tempeh, nuts, seeds, beans, legumes, isolated protein powders and shakes, soy protein bars, nut butters, seitan, soymilks, and other soy products. In addition to all the great food that you need to consume to feed your muscles and build your body, it is also very important to drink plenty of water. Everyone talks about it, but not many drink as much water as they should. As a bodybuilder, you should shoot for a gallon a day, or even more. Drinking lots of water helps carry all the nutrients to your cells and creates greater cell nutrition and a body capable of functioning on higher levels.

Efficiency is another important component to the basics of bodybuilding. This means that you don’t have to spend two or three hours in the gym to get desired results. This doesn’t mean that you have to stuff yourself full of food at each meal until you can’t possibly eat anymore. Efficiency is understanding what actions need to take place to enable your body and your body’s systems to perform on optimum levels. Train just as much as you need to, not more. If you spend too much time in the gym, you will break down muscle fibers at a faster rate than they are recovering and this could lead to injury. Spend about an hour of weight training during your session, anymore time spent weight training can be counter-productive. You can get away with 90-minute workouts for some larger muscle groups but in most cases that amount of time is not necessary. Allow yourself anywhere from 30-180 seconds rest between sets, depending on the muscles being trained, and you should be fresh to continue your workout full of energy. Being efficient will keep you ahead of the game, and assist in your overall bodybuilding progress.

Supplementation can be a major factor in bodybuilding. Again, there are countless options out there for products that could possibly enhance your physique, but stick to the basics and you will reap plenty of benefits. Protein is one of the most popular supplements you can take. Every bodybuilder seems to want to increase protein intake. Take a protein shake in the morning and another one at night time and you should accumulate all the protein you need, assuming you are eating plenty of foods throughout the day. Taking a multivitamin is another common practice and a great idea for everyone, not just bodybuilders. Multivitamins help bring up levels of certain nutrients you may be lacking in your diet from day to day. Liquid forms tend to be the most effective because they are absorbed the fastest and are the most bioavailable. This means your body uses a higher percentage of the nutrients than is does from other forms such as pills or powders. Amino acid L-Glutamine is another very popular supplement for bodybuilders to take. Glutamine is the most important amino acid in muscle recovery and growth and becomes “essential” for bodybuilders trying to make the most gains with the help of effective supplementation. There are plenty of other basic supplements such as Vitamin C to promote a strong immune system, and flax oil for omega fatty acids.

Setting specific goals is not only a crucial component to a bodybuilding program but is also another bodybuilding basic. You don’t train without motivation, do you? There has to be something that drives you to push your body to its physical limit. For many bodybuilders, the thought of a chiseled, fit, strong, aesthetically pleasing physique is enough to make them train without fear of pain or failure. Whatever your reasons are, make your goals clear, and specific as possible. Tell others about the things you desire and show them the work ethic that it takes to achieve greatness in a demanding sport.

The final basic rule to becoming a successful bodybuilder is to live the bodybuilding lifestyle. This means making responsible decisions and getting enough sleep at night. This means preparing meals ahead of time so you will never have to go long periods of time without food. This means budgeting your money so you can afford the food and supplements that the sport of bodybuilding demands. This means being accountable for your workouts in the gym, ensuring that your time there is valuable and not wasted. Follow your instincts, but also seek advice from those who have walked in your shoes and succeeded in bodybuilding. Learn from those who know the ropes and who have “been there,” before.

Following the basics of bodybuilding will not only enhance your physique but your overall bodybuilding program. You will become more efficient in your workouts and more effective in your nutrition programs. Stick to the basics and you will become extraordinary.

Robert Cheeke

May 17, 2004
    Robert Cheeke
    "Let yourself be silently drawn by the strong pull of what you love" -Annonymous

Absolutely. Anyone can be involved in some sort of bodybuilding or fitness program. Most of the top males in the sport of bodybuilding peak in their early 40's and many continue on for a long time in competitive bodybuilding. They have all kinds of categories, over 50, over 60, even over 70.

But bodybuilding isn't just about competing, it's about keeping your body healthy.

Granted, a lot of bodybuilders are NOT healthy, but as vegans we don't use any harmful substances, and we do not stuff our mouths full of meat and animal products, so bodybuilding can be a very healthy lifestyle.
    Robert Cheeke

Talking Re: Vegan Body Transformation

I'm not at all interested in competing...just staying healthy. This body building thing looks like the best way to prolong good health.

Default Re: Bodybuilding

I'm new to this site, but just located this bodybuilding thread.

"Anybody know of any vegan bodybuilders? I'd love to prove to her that it can be done."

Yeah, I'm a vegan bodybuilder Robert Cheeke

There are a few names you will probably hear:

Alexander Dargatz - Champion Vegan Bodybuilder
    Robert Cheeke - Champion Vegan Bodybuilder
    Kenneth Williams - Champion Vegan Bodybuilder
    Robbie Hazeley - Champion Vegan Bodybuilder

Mike Brazell - Competitive Vegan Bodybuilder
    Kristopher Flannery - Vegan Bodybuilder/Fitness Model

Check them all out on www.veganbodybuilding.com

We have female vegan fitness athletes as well, that is just a short list of some competitive vegan bodybuilders.

-Robert
    Robert Cheeke

Default Re: Before/After photos!

Bdybuilding, you look great.

BUT,

Bodybuilding, is that due to medicines/powder which helps the promotion of muscles plus body work out? I do not think, just having Vegan diet, ppl can be like that.

If you are taking these powder/medicines hopefully are animal free and have no side effect on the other body organs.

Manish Jain

Please visit www.veganbodybuilding.com

You can read all about my nutrition programs. I am one of the smaller vegan bodybuilders. There are a bunch of us.

Yes, vegans can look just like anyone else, which is what we are trying to show people.

I'm not sure why anyone would think otherwise. ? Vegans are not at any disadvantage when it comes to nutrition or training. That thought pattern is one of the major problems with how vegans are viewed by the general public.

Not saying that is your thought process, just throwing that out there.

To answer your question, I have used some protein powders in the past. They are all natural, all vegan of course, and some of them raw and organic too. There is nothing wrong with protein powders.

I'm not sure what medicines you are suggesting, but we don't take steroids or anything like that.

We eat fruits, veggies, nuts, grains, etc. and lift weights. Anybody can do it. Most just choose not to.

Anyway, check out the site if you get a chance, it might answer some questions for you.

All the best,

Robert
    Robert Cheeke

Ok, thanks for the clarification. Right on. Excercise is the main key. Right ?

Manish

No problem at all. We are ethical and moral vegans like the rest of you, we just lift weights.

The "key" is actually multiple parts. It involves Nutrition, Exercise, and Dedication/consistency.

Nutrition is probably the most important, even more important that exercising or training. The more you know about nutrition the more successful you will be in sports.

Training is very important too. That is what stimulates muscle growth. Once you train, you have to eat. When you exercise especially with weight training you cause little microtears in the muscles. That is why it is important to eat a lot of amino acids and protein to repair those muscle fibers and make them grow and adapt to the stress put on them each workout.

Dedication and Consistency are major components too. If you only eat a healthy diet some of the time, or only exercise some of the time, you won't see the results you will if you are consistent.

We break a lot of this down so it is clear and easy to follow on www.veganbodybuilding.com/phpBB2

All the best, thanks for the questions.

-Rob
    Robert Cheeke

Pilaf

Quote Jane M
    I'm not at all interested in competing...just staying healthy. This body building thing looks like the best way to prolong good health.

It is. Besides removing dangerous fat around the belly which can lead to heart disease, building muscle also delays the onset of osteoperosis, joint problems, hypertension, sexual dysfunction, and at least 100 other nasty little health problems, apparantly.

Default 2006 Spring Shape-Up Contest!

Spring Shape-Up Contest!

This is our 4th year hosting contests on www.veganbodybuilding.com! We’ve had all kinds of contests in the past and have given away prizes such as t-shirts, hats, gift certificates, cash, etc. and have featured our contest winners on the front of www.veganbodybuilding.com (past winners can be found here: http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/contests.html)
    We had a bunch of contests in 2003, a great year in 2004, and then in 2005 we didn’t offer very many, mostly due to the fact that we were running low on resources for prizes.

In the past, our contests were for “who has the best biceps, or legs, etc., comparing athletes to one another). After feedback, especially on the Vegan Bodybuilding forum, I’ve decided to create a Body Transformation Contest on here just in time for Spring. Many of us have done Body Transformation Contests in the past, including myself in 2000 and 2004. There are hundreds out there, nationally and internationally.

So with this contest, what we’ll do is take before photos by March 31st and then 12 weeks later, take after photos and then vote on a winner. I know, 12 weeks doesn’t seem that long, but in the 12-week Body-for-LIFE contest in 2000 I went from 157-176 pounds and it was awesome! In 12 weeks a lot can change. Some of us will try to lose weight, some try to gain muscle; we’ll all have different goals. Therefore, this contest will not be about who has the biggest biceps or the flattest stomach but who made the most impressive physical transformation based on their own personal goals.

So here is the breakdown:

Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness sponsors the 2006 Vegan Spring Shape-Up contest!

Submit “Before” photos to robert@veganbodybuilding.com by March 31st to be entered. Please send at least 3 photos including a full-body photo from the front, back, and side, in fitness wear, so we can easily track progress. The contest will go from April 1st to June 24th. Then, we’ll start a Summer Shape-Up Contest for those who missed the Spring contest and/or those who were inspired by the Spring Contest contestants, and it will run from July 1st to around September 24th.

At then end of the contest, send “After” photos. These will need to be taken before or on June 24th. Once those are collected, the contestants will be voted on by the website visitors and forum members and a winner will be chosen. We will have a male and female category, and based on number of entries we may have sub categories based on goals (i.e. Gaining muscle or losing weight, etc). A short bio will be included for each contestant so we know a little bit about what each person had to overcome, what their goals were, and so we can learn a bit about their personality and training history.

What: 2006 Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Spring Shape-Up Contest!
    When: April 1st – June 24th
    Who: Open to all vegans, including non-Vegan Bodybuilding forum members
    Why: To motivate each other and to recognize achievement in health and body transformation.
    Where: Hopefully vegans from all over the world will enter, please join in!

Awards:
    The winners will be featured on www.veganbodybuilding.com and on the Vegan Bodybuilding Forum and will receive prizes such as, but not limited to:
    -Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness clothing
    -A copy of the Vegan Fitness Built Naturally DVD
    -CA$H Prizes
    -Gift Certificates to Vegan Companies
    -A subscription to VegNews Magazine
    -A copy of the Best-Selling Book THRIVE by Brendan Brazier
    -A box of Vega Bars
    -Other prizes to be named later

If you have any questions regarding the contest, please e-mail Robert Cheeke at robert@veganbodybuilding.com or write to:

Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness
    P.O. Box 2125
    Corvallis, OR 97339
    USA

Thank you and we look forward to your entry!
    The Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Team

For more information visit www.veganbodybuilding.com or our forum www.forum.veganbodybuilding.com
    Robert Cheeke

Default Re: 2006 Spring Shape-Up Contest!

Well that sounds pretty cool! Definately would ignite some motivation. And the prizes arnt too shabby either - free subscription to VegNews I could definatley use that!
    "An outside enemy exists only if there is anger inside."
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

Cool, I hope we get some people from this forum involved, it should be a pretty fun and motivating time for a lot of people. I just updated the thread here http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/php...pic.php?t=2201

to say that everyone who completes the body transformation will win some sort of prize, probably a free t-shirt and certificate, maybe free supplements, etc.

So everyone who completes it, wins and then we'll have the overall voting by website visitors for the bigger prizes.

It will be rockin!
    Robert Cheeke

Blueshark

You are the man, Robert!

I will have a look at it, it definitely looks like a great way to get back some fitness at least.

Yeah, it's just a fun way to get in great shape, be really healthy and have fun at the same time, knowing lots of other vegans are doing the same thing. And...everybody wins! Either with a prizes or prizes, or with improved health and fitness.

Please encourage others to join us!
    Robert Cheeke

Robert, I think this is a wonderful idea. If I can talk my husband into it (unlikely as that seems) then we will enter as a couple. Otherwise, I will enter myself.

I have an idea for you. Perhaps you can come up with a training/nutrition schedule for those who are interested. I could see a small business venture springing up from this. I don't know of many vegan body-building books or plans but I've seen numerous omni ones. Just an idea. And I would be willing to be an enthusiastic guinea person.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

I think Diane has a great idea. I'm not sure where to even start myself.

I'm up for this but i wouldnt know where to start...?
    My turn of mind is so given to taking things in the absurd point of view that it breaks out in spite of me every now and then.

- Byron

I've done it!! I have spent the past few hours convincing my hubby that we should do this as a couple. But more importantly, I have finally talked him into doing it as part of a structured challenge at a gym we both have used it the past. Here's the program:

Fitness evaluation : Including Medical/Health History, Resting blood pressure, Circulo-respiratory power, muscular endurance, resting heart rate, body compostion, muscular strength, joint flexibility.

Personal Training sessions (and independent sessions, of course)

Nutrition Consultation - supposedly she is either vegetarian or vegan, but currently on vacation until next week

We both have our initial evaluations (with pictures - eek) on Saturday. I will keep you all posted on what I may learn that I can pass on.

Great!

Thanks for all of the interest in this!

Please check out this link to keep in the loop. Feel free to register as well.

http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2201

Keep in mind....you can still complete the program and NOT have your photos displayed on the website for voting. The people who submit photos to me for the voting will be displayed on www.veganbodybuilding.com and voted on for some great prizes.

For everyone who does NOT want their photos published online, still please send the BEFORE and AFTER photos to Me at robert@veganbodybuilding.com and everyone who completes the program will win prizes such as a free t-shirts, certificates of completion, etc.

This is similar to the Body-for-LIFE program that did have a training and nutrition guide.

I dont' have one for this specific contest because so many people have so many different goals.....losing weight, toning up, bulking up, adding mass, etc.

I like the idea of a couples category! We will have it!

For all your resources for nutrition and training visit www.veganbodybuilding.com/phpBB2 You will find answers to all of your questions and if you have more....just register and ask questions yourself and we'll answer them for you.

Please tell your friends...this will be fun!
    Robert Cheeke