Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Bodybuilding

Default Re: My 15th magazine feature

I know I'm not alone. I am just one of many vegan athletes getting out there in media showing that vegans can be successful athletes. I think it is an important message to get out.
    Robert Cheeke
    "Let yourself be silently drawn by the strong pull of what you love" -Annonymous

sugarmouse

I agree it is very important

congrats, i supposing i cannot buy it in the uk?

i had a dream about you last night rob lol i hadnt remembered about it until i came on here!

sugarmouse

I agree it is very important

congrats, i supposing i cannot buy it in the uk?

i had a dream about you last night rob lol i hadnt remembered about it until i came on here!

There are lots of us getting out there, Brendan Brazier, Scott Jurek, Kenneth Williams, Alexander Dargatz, and many more. We're just trying to spread the word about the vegan fitness lifestyle globally. It seems to be reaching a lot of people and that is encouraging for us. Thanks for the comments
    Robert Cheeke
    "Let yourself be silently drawn by the strong pull of what you love" -Annonymous

Default Re: New fitness goals, time to bulk up again!

Thanks. I'm on the road to gaining fat and muscle now, so it is a fun time I enjoy eating....a lot
    Robert Cheeke

You look better defined (and more muscley) to me in the bottom two pictures

Good luck with it, anyway
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

Thanks. I'd like a combination of both, so I have to add the fat and muscle first, then maintain that size as I bring out the veins. It will be fun, but a challenge of course.
    Robert Cheeke

UKrelocate

Talking Re: Bodybuilding

Hi Rob, subtext first -- been a long time since we spoke anything, but thats understandable I suppose, with your lifestyle, notably for me most I guess is I don't think I see you much on care2 as once thought I might in the beginning of care2, anyway just to let you know I am still member there, I'll pm you which of your 'virtual care2 friends' I am as you probably cannot tell from this. We've never spoken a lot to be factual but nevermind. Things may change if I join your BBforum for example....

<main text> so now what is about your veins, or veins of any veganBBer:

Considering IMO veins may appear unsightly in some people: HOW TO AVOID OVER EXPANSION OF VEINS/ VASULARITY etc, is there a way ??

ROUGH LINE OF QUESTION:
    1) In your case or other BBer, is it you expect them to lessen in appearance due to the mass you are putting on? Fat will cover up the big vascularities in other words I suppose, that I suppose are still there, at still sizable underneath, but as soon as you pump iron using your extra mass, then immeidately they will popout again presumably when you hit the gym. And I'm guessing in most instances, veins of this description
    persist even after you get some definitions back (and perhaps stickout even moreso_) after fat has burnt up, and so leaving veins more prominent ??? Is this always inevitably the case in most BBers that veins stickout as though pushed out by muscle hardness taking the space within your body?...hmm

NOTE:
    2) I believe in some people veins show or stickout more in some people than others, according to genetics.... (so I guess I in part answer my 3 questions myself).

GENERAL PRE-CONCLUSION OF MINE WITH SAME QUESTION(S):
    3) I'm totally presuming what makes veins popout most is the heavy exertions they undergo (esp whilst training of course)... but how to help veins not pop out so much would be a curious thing to know if you can help?....
    IN GENERAL= BIG MUSCLE = BIG VEINS, no doubt ~but I wonder even though this is probably to be expected generally being a BBer, is there not a way to keep down or regulate vein size and reduce stress put on veins that veins may undergo and partially eliminate atrophying veins as I'd have it known, coz if nothing can appease that, being a BBer must mean having to live with more or less a steroid BBer look in basic appearance even though RobCheeke you is a natural BBer, and yet still the effects can be seen <NATURAL or NOT in other persons case> ....so anyway what exactly happens to veins per se in most BBer reaching approx your current size??.....(in regards to all BBer/ would-be BBer--but integrally being ALL NATURAL, even if in 'aquisition' of having steroid-lookalike appearance as maybe foretold by casual onlooker ignorant of actual facts)

4a) NOTE: SUM UP >> GENERAL OUTLOOK OF VEINS_ **FORM <always follows?> FUNCTION(?) >>...including for vein development?** .... (My aim generally is to NOT NECESSARILY HAVE TO PUT BODY UNDER EXCESS DURESS BUT I STILL MAINTAIN A DESIRE TO SUSTAIN REGIMEN OF ADAPTABLITY FOR BEING OPTIONALLY BIG BUT IN SOME MODERATION).... My meaning overall is yeah of course being on a well tailored body program is smart AND/OR home-made self proven regimen FOR GETTING MODERATELY BIG_ ***but with crucial difference of training in such a way that I can give my body respite even whilst performing exercise OF WHATEVER KIND, AND BEARING IN MIND I AM ALREADY WELL EXERCISED PERSON, I CYCLE A LOT, and I lift weights and pressup quite a lot (3/4 times a week, your average, and cycle everyday).... so anyway which form of exercise will most likely give rise to vascular over activity as might be construed?? Must it always be aerobic that produces this effect or can BBer exercise sometimes put MORE STRAIN on veins and tissues of that variety, WHAT IS YOUR VERDICT or GENERAL CONCENSUS on that?

AND ....4b) "FOR EVERYONE ELSE" WITH SOME DETERMINATION FOR FITNESS NEEDING CLARITY ON THE SUBJECT ~> ANY ADVICE ON WHAT GENERALLY ARE THE PROSPECTS IN GENERAL FOR ALL PEOPLE WHO LOVE EXERCISE AND HOW TO TAKE CARE OF TISSUES/SINUES REGARDLESS OF EXERCISE REGIMEN: INCLUDING VEIN MATTERS ARE THE RULES THE SAME FOR THEM TOO, AS WOULD BE BBERS?? --- ie, BBer or not, do you believe my imagined possiblity BBers can regulate how we exercise or approach to training technique somehow in order to promote in our bodies vein formations that are less rotund/plummy looking?

Default bodybuilding forum

I saw somewhere on here about a vegan bodybuilding forum and wondered if anyone could post the link.

Thought I'd check it out and try get myself some nice abs ...oh and the chance to check out vegan men with muscles is too good to pass up

Thanks

Carmen
    Last edited by flutterby; Aug 6th, 2006 at 11:32 AM. Reason: This was the 1st post in a similar thread.

Default Re: Bodybuilding

There is the vegan bodybuilding forum: http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/phpBB2/

and the Vegan Fitness forum http://www.veganfitness.net, which has a bodybuilding section

Ty, I am off to check it out now

jonjan

Talking vegan bodybuilders

I saw the thread on Scott Jurek and thought I'd start a thread about vegan bodybuilders also. I personally use Scott's incredible endurance, along with vegans with massive muscles, to firmly squash anyone's doubts about vegan diets providing enough nutrients.

none of these are my sites and i'm not promoting them, just sharing because they're helpful

http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/subject/67

Some of these guys can bench press 265 to 300+ pounds. And one of them even won first place in Worldchampionships fitness competition!
    http://www.worldfitnessfederation.de...ff_6_he_05.htm

every person I've showed Scott and the bodybuilders to, it completely ended any arguments or doubts over vegan health
    Last edited by flutterby; Nov 17th, 2006 at 09:59 AM. Reason: this was the 1st post in another thread

I wish Vegan Protein shake powders were easy to buy in the UK. My local health shop is crammed with the most vile egg and whey based nonsense, but nothing Vegan. Holland and Barratt has powders to add to shakes, but that's no use as I have no way to prepare them fresh until I buy my own house

Default Re: Four specific proteins found in meat to build muscle?

Quote cidnyk View Post
    i have been a vegetarian for something around 13 years and a vegan since march. i was talking with a kid who, 1. called me a hypocrite, and 2. said that vegetarianism and veganism are wrong for these reasons (which are new to me): when trying to build muscle, like in bodybuilding, you need four specific protiens, found in the four meats (beef, pork, poultry, and fish).

how in gods name do i tell this kid hes wrong with making him cry and without making me seem defensive?
    No need to tell him he's wrong. Just change the subject. If he's a kid he doesn't know everything (no one does, anyway).
    You don't have to convert him. He's just repeating what he's been told.
    Lead by example. If youre fit, and have muscle, you can prove it can be done!
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

Kirska

Vegan bodybuilders should realize that, yes, it can be done, but you'll look 'different' than the other body builders. Vegan body builders generally consume far fewer steroids (no meats, no animal products, etc), they get a wholesome diet, etc. Normal body builders destroy their bodies in the name of fame, profit, and science. Their diets are almost always devoid of any balanced nutritional value...except for the idiotic amount of vitamin supplements they're likely to have been tricked into buying.

I know one or two out here in the first reality, actually, and... well, you know how older body builders and strong-men looked, right? See the difference between that look and the look of body builders today? It's not just about part isolation... We're breeding human-pot-bellied-pigs that can lift cars. Unfortunately, like all miracle lifestyles, their lifting and eating has a rawback. They'll die early, miserably, bulkedly. : P

It's fine to want to build muscle, but, imho, vegans should certainly stick to bodyweight exercising first (to build muscle density lost from bad dieting before and injury), and then proceed, if they wish, to weight lifting. I don't like weight lifting, personally, because I see it as useless strength. You build up alll of this bulk and endurance, but unless you're in a position to naturally use it every day (say, construction working, career athletics, etc) there's really no point to it, other than social gratification.
    Google vegan body builder(/ing) and you'll catch photos of some.

Don't over-supplement. People create this universe in their mind where the only food is supplementation and specially prepared meals. Don't fall for that. A balanced diet is the key to longevity, accelerated healing, and a great body in general. Do yourself a favor and eat whole, raw, organic foods...and toss the supplements. They've been synthetically farmed from once 'natural' things, and little good has ever come from that.

ah I shall be back to read this in more depth...was just gonna start a thread on same topic and found this...

One thing I would like to point out, is that there is a difference between bodybuilding and weightlifting.

Bodybuilders lift weights as a means of increasing muscle size and to get the look that wins bodybuilding competitions.
    Weightlifters lift weights as a challenge to lift ever heavier weights.

It's a bit like comparing a dancer who wants to look good on stage with a runner who wants to run fast on a track. There may be some similarities in training and appearance, but they have got very different goals.

I don't like weight lifting, personally, because I see it as useless strength. You build up alll of this bulk and endurance, but unless you're in a position to naturally use it every day (say, construction working, career athletics, etc) there's really no point to it, other than social gratification.
    Doesn't that go for any sport though ?
    How many runners, cyclists or swimmers use their sporting abilities in their everday lives ?
    Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.

Quote Big Good Wolf View Post

Doesn't that go for any sport though ?
    How many runners, cyclists or swimmers use their sporting abilities in their everday lives ?

exactly. it's just a hobby, something we enjoy doing that also makes us fit and healthy.

I would say runners and cyclists may very well use their 'hobby' in a practical day to day thing for getting to work say.(and maybe swimmers too, if they work along the canal or on an island )
    I cant see a weight lifter lifting themselves to work, lol!!!!
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

^ lol good point.

i do it for a hobby and health only tho

Any sort of sport will have a positive benefit on your day to day life.
    If we assume that any able bodied person can run, swim, cycle and pick things up, then being able to run, swim or cycle faster is rarely an advantage, but being able to pick up heavy things without risk of injury can often come in handy.
    Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.

Quote Big Good Wolf View Post
    Any sort of sport will have a positive benefit on your day to day life.
    If we assume that any able bodied person can run, swim, cycle and pick things up, then being able to run, swim or cycle faster is rarely an advantage, but being able to pick up heavy things without risk of injury can often come in handy.
    I'm sure the last Health and Safety directive i saw was anything over 25kg is a two man lift!!!!!
    Ridiculous, lol!

Not ridiculous atg all, as when lifting heavy weights in the workplace one may be expected to lift them off the tailgate of a lorry, lift them up to a high shelf, carry them up a flight of stairs, stack them on top of each other, etc. Not just lift them off the floor with 2 hands!
    If in a hurry, trying to make an impression on one's workmates, or with a lapse of attention, lifting such heavy weights without due care can easily result in injury.

My point was that it's a sad indictment of modern living where 25 kg is deemed too heavy for a healthy adult male to lift safely!
    I spent years lifting stuff for a living, mainly up and down flights of stairs, and if that had been the limit of weight we would never have got anything done, lol!

People will still lift heavy weights over 25 kg on their own, but the 25 kg limit allows workers to refuse to if they so wish, which I think is fair.
    It also means employers will now put in place lifting and carrying equipment, for example trolleys and hydraulic lifts.
    Its not just men who were expected to lift heavy weights, nurses and care assistants (the majority are female) are now able to lift very heavy patients more safely.