Thread: Urinary Tract Infections

Default Urinary Tract Infections

Any advice? Seem to be getting these frequently.

Always do go to the bathroom after making love, very conscious of cleanliness and handwashing, no smoking, drinking, coffee, tea, orange juice etc...

I also take a multivitamin.

Is there anything that might need a boost?
    When the water is still, it can behold the moon.

Default Re: Urinary Tract Infections

Cranberry juice has been shown to have positive effects on UTIs. DON'T use the kind of juice that says "Juice Cocktail" on the label. That has too much sugar and is not concentrated enough with cranberries. Make sure the cranberry juice is 100% juice.

Thanks Juice!

I have heard that cranberry juice was good - however I also have reflux and I'm worried about how the cranberry will effect my stomach with high acidity. Also, given you usually take urinary alkalinisers so that it doesn't hurt when you pee, will cranberry juice make it more painful to urinate?

I will go to the supermarket today for the 100% cranberry juice to try it.
    I have put off going to the DR for a day or so thinking it would clear up but now it's becoming more "pressing" so to speak.

Quote Taste Test
    Thanks Juice!

I have heard that cranberry juice was good - however I also have reflux and I'm worried about how the cranberry will effect my stomach with high acidity. Also, given you usually take urinary alkalinisers so that it doesn't hurt when you pee, will cranberry juice make it more painful to urinate?

I will go to the supermarket today for the 100% cranberry juice to try it.
    I have put off going to the DR for a day or so thinking it would clear up but now it's becoming more "pressing" so to speak.
    100% Cranberry Juice is nearly inedible IMO - I actually spit it out once after trying.

If you take this, beware! I have heard you can put it in gelcaps and swallow like pills, or just pour it down.

What you can get, is cranberry mixed with other juices. No sugar added, but edible. Allthough I am sure whole cranberry juice is best, it is very very sour, IMO.

Oh yeah, also remember to drink lots of water to avoid UTIs, and pee regularly, and I have heard you should pee before as well as after sex.

Thanks wildflower, my poor bod has gone through some BIG changes recently and whilst I feel they are for the best, I am struggling.

1) Went vegan
    2) Got reflux even worse than before so cut out every single acid forming food I can think of including one big culprit, el-chocolatte (since going vegan I ate heaps more chocolate than before).
    3) So I stopped with the high chocolate and refined sugar and went through hideous withdrawls - migranes, tremor, moodswings, the rest) and now the reflux has gone down - HURRAH! - but I've got an UTI and let me assure you there's been no booty whilst I've been feeling so yuck.
    4) Also think the cat bought home a flu virus, because now she and I are both sneezing.

I've about had it up to here! ((gestures to top of head wildly)) I don't want to go to the doctor because I know that aside from the ethical issues, whatever he suggests I take will have other side effects i.e. anti-biotics = thrush .

Aside from all that I eat well, drink water, exercise, don't drink, smoke or have caffiene, and take a vitamin daily.

Maybe it's just possible I'm run down and it's a stress reaction to... all the above?

Do you use soap to clean your genitals?
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Yes, but only a very gentle, downward swish, usually I soap my hand first, then the hand over the girl bits.

Also, down and away with any touching in that region.

I have changed soaps though - maybe that is contributing. I remember when I was a kid, soap used to sting like nothing on earth down there, and often caused UTI sensation.

This is a more traditional "soap" soap. With no animal products but much like old fashioned, cheap, supermarket soap.

Oh apologies, I'm repeating myself now - sorry about that!

I heard using any soap can be irritating.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Hmmmm, yes, I might just try going without for a few days and just use the traditional hot water and nothing-but-love option.

Thanks for that Tigerlily

Limey

Try mixing the Cranberry juice with other juices or water. I've done that before.

I think yogurt will help, too. Or you can take acidophilus pills to get the bacteria you need.

Hmm, other than that, not sure. Some people are just prone to them. I know one of my friends is on constant medication for them, otherwise she gets them every week or two. Youch!

I will try that with the cranberry, mixing it up... ((thumbsup))

>>> Soy yoghurt?

I've never been prone to them before. Let's hope I'm not going to be prone to them long term...

Limey

Yep, soy yogurt, but like I said, you can do the acidophilus pills instead. They make some that don't come in those gel caps.

maybe you should go through a detox?

I go with cranberry juice as a preventative measure (small glass a day)which seems to work. If I've lapsed or whatever though, then I go with ibuprofen to take down swelling, and masses and masses of cranberry juice and water.

The cranberry thing really seems to work for me, and even though it's acidic it's worth it to be rid of the pain quicker!!! Garlic is antibacterial, so eating lots of that may also help.

Hope you feel better soon

I have this problem too, but it has been better since I started eating dried cranberries, you can buy it here in supermarkets. I don´t know if you have the possibility to try it? Cranberry juice did almost nothing for me.
    Studies have shown that cranberry prevents bacteria from clinging on to your urinary tract.

Also very high doses of vitamin C help.

Wow, thanks everyone for those helpful comments.

Yes I tried cranberry and BLURGGHHH! Quite tart flavoured, how do you drink it? I mixed it with apple and pineapple juice but boy it's strong! I can only do a sip at a time.

Went to the DR today and came up clear in the test, she said I probably flushed it out with water, which is excellent. I still feel a bit achy and drained but at least the test is coming up clear!

Also someone mentioned to me that stress can contribute too, so I'll look at that. Bought a new soap as well.

I'm interested to read that about the acidophilus because I had a look today at our local shop and the only ones they had were vegetarian suitable. I will look for pills rather than gel caps because I think you're right, I have seen something before I'm sure.

>> as for the detox question, I think that could possibly put my body under more stress at the moment so I might wait for this to clear up before I consider doing anything like that. I live pretty healthy anyway so I'm not sure how much "tox" I am even carrying around!

i think we all carry some toxins inside of us, but you're right, i think it's important to be ready to do a detox

Limey

I was reading about blueberries in Natural Awakenings today and it said blueberries are good at keeping UTI's at bay. I had no idea. I knew about all the antioxidants, etc, but not that.

Don't know how much you would need a day, but I thought I would mention it here, in case you like blueberries.

D-Mannose is supposed to be able to cure 90% of UTIs. It can be bought at health food stores. Everyone stay away from fluoroquinolone antibiotics, such as Cipro, Levaquin, Tequin, Avelox and others. They can cause very dangerous side effects and are like killing a mosquito with a truck when it comes to UTIs.

Quote Talia
    Don't know how much you would need a day, but I thought I would mention it here, in case you like blueberries.

Cool Thanks for that Talia. I didn't know that blueberries were good too. Here's an article:

article

"Cranberries, blueberries and their relatives contain chemicals which prevent E. coli and some other bacteria from sticking to cells"

You can also use cranberry capsules (I know solaray has one that is ok). Dried cranberries and cranberry powder is also good options.

And one other thing, stay WARM at all times. The warmer socks, the better.
    Need help finding gift! The tread is located her

I've suffered from 4 UTI, 2 of them within 2 months of each other. I've been vigilant about going to the bathroom before and after sex, keeping everything clean, and drinking 100% cranberry juice (which, by the way, I love) but nothing seems to work.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'll look into some of what you guys have said.