Thread: Human Faeces

Default Human Faeces

I have read somewhere that a community of Indian Vegans got sufficient B12 by growing their crops in human manure and haphazardly washing them. This may sound disgusting, but no more so than cow manure in my opinion. Anyway, does anyone have any links regarding this community, or B12 in human faeces in general? I would really like to know whether this is a feasible way of getting the Vitamin.

Tah x

Default Re: Human Faeces

Glen,

I found this:

Plants Fertilized with Human Manure

Herbert1 (1988) reports that in 1959, some Iranian vegans were found to be growing plants in night soil (human manure). The vegetables were eaten without being carefully washed and the amount of B12 was enough to prevent deficiency. However, for this information, Herbert cites Halstead et al. (1959),2 who do not mention these Iranians in their paper. Stephen Strauss, science reporter with the Globe and Mail newspaper in Toronto, tried to track down this story. He spoke with Halstead's son, who said his father never performed such a study.3 Thus, at this time, this anecdote should be considered unsubstantiated.

http://www.veganhealth.org/b12/all
    "I've been very hungry, but not enough to kill" - The Clash

I also think that anything fertalised with faeces and not washed properly would harbour great potential to carry hazardous bacteria.
    When the water is still, it can behold the moon.

A long time ago, there was a guy from England on this Forum, and I seem to remember him talking about something similar. He was working towards becoming self-sufficient, and part of that included growing food in his own waste.

Can anyone else remember this guy or where the thread might be?

As long as the waste was properly composted it shouldn't pose a threat of bacterial or viral disease (compost should get hot enough to kill them off). Not sure whether B12 would survive composting.

I'm not sure there wouldn't be a danger from parasite eggs, though. Can they survive being composted?
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"