Thread: Sunshine....

Default Sunshine....

I live in a sunny climate and I felt this would be as good as any to inquire into the harm of the sun ( as is touted so much) or the benefits and if being a vegan influences the effects of the sun in any way.. I have read so many conflicting opinions....I'm open to all opinions and knowledge...I'm also new here and hope I have posted in the right place....Thankyou for your help on this......

So is the sun harmful or not....
    Mother nature doesn't except excuses only man does.....

Default Re: Sunshine....

sheri beri, hi, and this is certainly a good place for your question. Where I live there is plenty of sunshine, and from investigations I've made, we just need to be out of doors for up to 20 minutes a day to receive maximum benefit of the sun (even on a cloudy day).

People who lie for long periods in the sun on the beach, or in the garden, are in danger of getting skin cancer. This is especially important for young people. Many older people that I know, around my age, were born and brought up here and spent heaps of time in the sun. However, they have to keep getting their cancers zapped off, or cut out, and even though they now wear hats and put on sunscreen, it is too late - the damage was done in their youth. I was born and brought up in England and there wasn't much sun that I can remember!
    Eve

tabitha

Your memory is good Eve - there still isnt much sun! However, when the sun does come out we are so delighted that we strip off and lay out in it for 12 hours at a time because we know damn well its gonna rain tomorrow lol!!!

That way you probably absorb enough sunshine to lay by for a rainy day
    Eve

vegan1969

I lived in florida for a bit and soon after I moved there I started getting little red bumps up and down my arms. I went to a dermatologist and she told me that they are an allergic reaction to the sun, basically. She said it's because I am so fair skinned, (mostly Irish). I rarely got out in the sun in florida because I don't like the heat, just to play tennis about 3x's a week for about an hour each time and in the early morning or for a swim. It did p me off that I couldn't go swimming much after that. As a child, I was always taught to stay out of the sun and did so, I never was a sunbather. However, I am certain to sit in the sun for about 10 minutes every other day.

I did find an article and highlighted some of the main points:

"The conflict is over risking sun exposure because of our bodies’ need for vitamin D. Vitamin D deficiency can be a serious health problem, most notably by blocking the absorption of calcium and phosphorus, causing a chronic imbalance and bone deterioration. As luck would have it, sunlight is the most abundant, natural source that helps our bodies make vitamin D."
    "sunscreen does not block the amount of UVB radiation needed to help the body manufacture vitamin D."
    "dermatologist Darrell S. Rigel, M.D., clinical professor, New York University Medical Center in New York City. He reports that as someone who sees and treats skin cancer patients on a daily basis, it is appalling to him that anyone in good conscience would claim that intentional sun exposure, regardless of length of time, is beneficial"
    the whole article:http://www.cosmeticscop.com/learn/ar...ER=SKIN&ID=149

This quote from Dr. Rigel goes against the preponderance of the evidence regarding sunscreen and vitamin d. Most experts believe that any SPF over 8 will block a sufficient amount of the UV rays to prevent proper formation of vitamin D. This has been reported in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition as well as being posted on the web site for the National Institute of Health: http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/vitamind.asp

Vitamin D has been shown in recent studies to prevent cancer, improve size of baby in gestation, decrease risk of eczema in newborns, and be more important than calcium in terms of bone density (just to name a few).

From this perspective, if you are in an area that is not too far north, approximately 10 to 15 minutes a day in the sun without sunscreen is important and healthy for you, and is sufficient to get loads of Vitamin D. After this brief time, sunscreen would be advisable. Of course, this needs to be adjusted based on your skin type. If you are very fair, you need less time to absorb the vitamin d, and should be more careful about your time in the sun. If you have darker skin, you need more exposure to the sun to produce vitamin d.

Vitamin D from the sun is the highest quality form and is the most biologically active. When we take it from food, it is fine as well, just not as ideal. But if you are too fair, or if you live too far north, definitely look for Vitamin D-2. This is the only vegan form of vitamin D. It is not as well absorbed as D-3, but D-3 is not vegan.

Hope this is helpful.

Best,

Josh

vegan1969

cool josh, i don't use sunscreen anyway and i try to get at least 5-10 minutes in direct sunlight at least every other day with my cat and dog, i still take supplements in the winter, also i walk for exercise and with my dog almost daily yet we now live in the pines and we have lots of blockage

Vegan1969 -- Sounds like you are doing it all just right

I actually take supplements all year long just to be safe, but I live in Los Angeles so I know my Vitamin D is probably through the roof.

i am a sun baby, probably not the best thing, but I love the sun and outdoors too much to not spend time in it. to combat cancer and aging, i apply a fair amount of sunscreen (though i am still a deep gold from the sun)
    Peace Love Surf.

Thank you everyone for posting so much good information, i live in Redondo Beach and if i don't have sun i start feeling something is missing, i have been in the sun my whole life, I was always instructed not to burn , but to start with small amounts of sun and build up from there, i'm not all wrinkly either another common thing of sun and smoking exposure IMO.....I wonder how safe are the sun screens, we rarely do in depth research on things only what is needed to get approved by the FDA then if enough have an issue then they pull it.....'shrugs'
    I also wonder if anyone knows which plants veges and fruits provide sun protection? does anyone know.....

How does Vitamin d prevent cancer whole at the same time causing skin cancer.....or did i read that incorrectly????

sheri beri, I live in Cali too and definately understand what you mean about feeling a bit out of sorts without sunshine. the sunscreen i use is vegan and all natural from alba (i think they're who i use)--hope that helped some!
    Peace Love Surf.

Sorry if what I wrote was confusing. Vitamin D protects against cancer, while excessive sun exposure can cause skin cancer -- those are two separate things. As far as foods that can prevent sun damage, a diet high in natural mixed carotenoids has been shown in studies to protect the skin from sun damage and sun burn -- e.g. carrots, spinach, spirulina, orange fruits and veggies, and green veggies.

Best,

Josh

I'm so excited there are other vegans from my state (((hugs)))

MB do you get your sunscreen from whole foods????

Josh It was i who misunderstood I'm just waking up lol, thanks for breaking it down for me...

Sheri Beri, might want to check out the "sunburn solutions" thread, also in the Health forum. There are many posts (mine included) about skin cancer related to sun exposure, vegan sunblock, and preventive clothing.

Quote sheri beri
    I'm so excited there are other vegans from my state (((hugs)))

MB do you get your sunscreen from whole foods????

Josh It was i who misunderstood I'm just waking up lol, thanks for breaking it down for me...
    well the place I picked mine up is a little health food shop in burbank but I'm sure they carry it at WholeFoods too. I DID get some really nice mandarin orange lip balm from whole foods that you may want to check out too while you're there
    Peace Love Surf.

Quote j&k
    If you are very fair, you need less time to absorb the vitamin d, and should be more careful about your time in the sun. If you have darker skin, you need more exposure to the sun to produce vitamin d.
    Do you know why then fair skinned people are at higher risk for osteoperosis? Maybe it is something else, hormonal or something.

According to a doctor I had, hormones - or lack of - are 100% responsible for osteoperosis.

I agree with you that you need to watch vitamin D as much as, if not more, than calcium.

I am a very fair person. I was always active as a child, but wore sunscreen and even sometimes then I would burn anyway.

Limey

Hmm, interesting about the osteoporosis, hadn't heard that before. My aunt is in her late 50's and always stayed out of the sun due to allergies. She looks fantastic - what gorgeous skin! - but she is experiencing some bone loss right now. I wonder if it's because of that or just hereditary. I'll have to mention it to her and see what her doctors have said.

Quote veganwitch
    Sheri Beri, might want to check out the "sunburn solutions" thread, also in the Health forum. There are many posts (mine included) about skin cancer related to sun exposure, vegan sunblock, and preventive clothing.
    Veganwitch i will do that thanks for the heads up...

Wildflower:

My guess would be that because fair skinned people are more apt to avoid the sun because they get burned easily and are at higher risk for developing skin cancer, freckles, moles etc., they are the ones who would most chronically be deficient in vitamin d.

I don't know if you have been watching the new studies that have been coming out over the last year, but vitamin d has been proven to be far more effective at increasing bone density than calcium. In fact, a high dietary intake of calcium blocks absorption of vitamin d, placing them at even higher risk for osteoporosis. So the real key is the balance between vitamin d intake and calcium intake (along with magnesium, phosporous etc.) Obviously, weight bearing exercise is very important as well.

But, there is a widespread deficiency of vitamin d currently. Much of this is attributable to how far north many people live, and also the fear of being out in the sun. I believe this is especially true of fair skinned people. So despite the fact that fair skinned people would be better at absorbing vitamin d, they are the ones who tend to avoid the sun the most.

Best,
    Josh