Thread: Darryl Hannah arrested over farm protest

veggiewoman

Default Darryl Hannah arrested over farm protest

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...15/ixnews.html

Darryl Hannah arrested over farm protest
    By Catherine Elsworth
    (Filed: 15/06/2006)

Darryl Hannah, the actress known for her role as a mermaid in the 1984 film Splash, has been evicted from a walnut tree and arrested along with dozens of protesters fighting to prevent a Los Angeles farm from being destroyed.
    The 45-year-old actress, an environmental activist, had spent 23 days guarding the tree, much of it spent 40ft up among the branches alongside John Quigley, the organiser of the protest.
    Darryl Hannah and John Quigley are removed after their sit-in

The pair raised their fists in defiance as police officers, some wearing riot gear, moved in using chainsaws to cut through branches.
    The removal of the protesters marked the end of a three-week celebrity-studded campaign to save the community farm in an impoverished area of south-central Los Angeles. Joan Baez, the folk singer, Willie Nelson, the country singer, and the actors Leonardo Di Caprio, Ed Harris and Martin Sheen all visited the site. Baez and Julia "Butterfly" Hill, an anti-logging activist, had also occupied the tree, though neither was there when the 5am eviction began.
    Hannah said she was sleeping in a tent and swiftly darted up the tree. "I'm very confident this is the morally right thing to do, to take a principled stand in solidarity with the farmers," she said before officials plucked her and Mr Quigley from the branches using a fire service "cherry picker" and took her to a police cell. "This farm should be a model for sustainable urban agriculture. It needs to be replicated, not eradicated," she said.
    The 14-acre garden, the nation's largest urban farm, was tended by some 350 local families for more than a decade - each paying £7 a month to grow fruit, flowers and vegetables.
    The land has been the subject of a long legal fight between Los Angeles city council and a developer who wants to build a warehouse on the site. He recently won his case in court and offered to sell the land to the operators of the garden for about £8.7 million.
    When campaigners managed to raise only about half that sum, the owner obtained an eviction order.

Catherine Elsworth's Los Angeles blog

vegan1969

Default Re: Darryl Hannah arrested over farm protest

Go Hannah, and all the others too!

Default Re: Darryl Hannah arrested over farm protest

i was planning on going down to the farm to protest, but my parents (dad mainly) got really mad and said if i did/had he wouldn't have bailed me out.
    Peace Love Surf.