Thread: Greenpeace says M&S is the best

veggiewoman

Default Greenpeace says M&S is the best

http://news.independent.co.uk/enviro...cle1090185.ece

18 June 2006 08:34

Greenpeace says M&S is the best

By Severin Carrell

Published: 18 June 2006

For decades, British supermarkets have fought to provide the cheapest baked beans, knickers and fish fingers. But this year's battle on the high street is for the "green pound", and environmentalists have declared one store the winner: Marks and Sparks.
    Campaigners for Greenpeace and Friends of the Earth say the once-staid high-street chain is now Britain's most ethical and environmentally conscious retailer. Marks & Spencer has outstripped larger competitors by selling "fair trade" cotton T-shirts, coffee and fruit, putting organic cotton baby clothes on its shelves, phasing out GM animal feed, and selling the most ocean-friendly fresh fish.
    The country's three biggest retailers, Tesco, Sainsbury's and Asda, are spending millions to win back control of a market for organic, fair trade and wildlife-friendly produce that is worth £2bn a year.
    Sales of organic foods are expected to total £1.6bn for last year, but competition has already led to a shortage of organic milk, forcing several retailers to buy supplies from abroad last winter.
    Environment campaigners warn that the sudden conversion of supermarkets to the green cause could mean a shortage in ecologically sound fish supplies, leading to steep price rises.
    The top four supermarkets, Tesco, Sainsbury's, Asda and Morrisons, have dropped endangered fish species after a damning report by Greenpeace last year. Marks & Spencer and the second greenest retailer, Waitrose, are also promising to find supplies of ecologically sound fish.
    Blake Lee-Harwood, campaigns director at Greenpeace, said the decision by Asda and Morrisons to go "green" would transform the high street. "There's a mixture of real movement and tokenism going on at present, but they can't go back. They've made these promises and they're stuck with them."
    Additional research by Louisa Dennison
    GREEN RATINGS
    1. Marks & Spencer
    Green rating: *****
    Sells most organic, fair trade and eco-friendly goods.
    2. Waitrose
    Green rating: ****1/2
    Large range of organic, fair trade foods.
    3. Sainsbury's
    Green rating: ****
    Most "green" of big four.
    4. Tesco
    Green rating: ***
    £100m on green policies.
    5. Asda
    Green rating: **
    Slow to go green.
    6. Morrisons
    Green rating: 1/2
    Has fewest organic and fair trade goods.

For decades, British supermarkets have fought to provide the cheapest baked beans, knickers and fish fingers. But this year's battle on the high street is for the "green pound", and environmentalists have declared one store the winner: Marks and Sparks.
    Campaigners for Greenpeace and Friends of the Earth say the once-staid high-street chain is now Britain's most ethical and environmentally conscious retailer. Marks & Spencer has outstripped larger competitors by selling "fair trade" cotton T-shirts, coffee and fruit, putting organic cotton baby clothes on its shelves, phasing out GM animal feed, and selling the most ocean-friendly fresh fish.
    The country's three biggest retailers, Tesco, Sainsbury's and Asda, are spending millions to win back control of a market for organic, fair trade and wildlife-friendly produce that is worth £2bn a year.
    Sales of organic foods are expected to total £1.6bn for last year, but competition has already led to a shortage of organic milk, forcing several retailers to buy supplies from abroad last winter.
    Environment campaigners warn that the sudden conversion of supermarkets to the green cause could mean a shortage in ecologically sound fish supplies, leading to steep price rises.
    The top four supermarkets, Tesco, Sainsbury's, Asda and Morrisons, have dropped endangered fish species after a damning report by Greenpeace last year. Marks & Spencer and the second greenest retailer, Waitrose, are also promising to find supplies of ecologically sound fish.

Blake Lee-Harwood, campaigns director at Greenpeace, said the decision by Asda and Morrisons to go "green" would transform the high street. "There's a mixture of real movement and tokenism going on at present, but they can't go back. They've made these promises and they're stuck with them."
    Additional research by Louisa Dennison
    GREEN RATINGS
    1. Marks & Spencer
    Green rating: *****
    Sells most organic, fair trade and eco-friendly goods.
    2. Waitrose
    Green rating: ****1/2
    Large range of organic, fair trade foods.
    3. Sainsbury's
    Green rating: ****
    Most "green" of big four.
    4. Tesco
    Green rating: ***
    £100m on green policies.
    5. Asda
    Green rating: **
    Slow to go green.
    6. Morrisons
    Green rating: 1/2
    Has fewest organic and fair trade goods.

Default Re: Greenpeace says M&S is the best

good info, thanks veggiewoman

Russ

But the whole, Marks and Spencer funding Israeli terrorism against unarmed Palestinians puts a damper on the whole thing.

And aren't M&S the ones with the dodgy vegan list?

Nice new avatar, Russ.

What about co-op?

Russ

Quote catalina
    Nice new avatar, Russ.
    Why thankyou catalina. You may not have realised this, but my spoon is actually too big.

I'm a banana
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Maybe you and the bowl are too small and the spoon is just right, Russ?

Quote Russ
    Why thankyou catalina. You may not have realised this, but my spoon is actually too big.
    I've never heard any guy put it that way, but ok Russ, if you insist your spoon is too big, then too big it is.

Russ

Quote catalina
    I've never heard any guy put it that way, but ok Russ, if you insist your spoon is too big, then too big it is.
    I can't think of any other way of putting it. It's just that simple.

Quote Mr Flibble
    I'm a banana
    *rips out Mr Flibble's torso and beats him to death with it before placing torso on his own head and dancing*

I ... am the Queen of France ...

Quote Russ
    But the whole, Marks and Spencer funding Israeli terrorism against unarmed Palestinians puts a damper on the whole thing.
    You could say the same about using an Intel pentium computer,watching a Disney movie or buying any CD's from Aol Time Warner,shopping at Selfridges,using a Nokia,buying the Times,any books published by Harper Collins,supporting Arsenal,using IBM products........the list goes on,all these companies are as bad as,if not worse, than M & S when it comes to Israel.
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

Quote gogs67
    You could say the same about using an Intel pentium computer,watching a Disney movie or buying any CD's from Aol Time Warner,shopping at Selfridges,using a Nokia,buying the Times,any books published by Harper Collins,supporting Arsenal,using IBM products........the list goes on,all these companies are as bad as,if not worse, than M & S when it comes to Israel.
    Does that mean I'll have to take my new Nokia phone back? That's a shame, it's got the Arsenal logo fascia, and I got it free from Selfridges when I bought any two Harper Collins books. I saw the offer at the times website, while using my IBM at work, with Internet provided by AOL
    I bet Yoda was a vegan

You dont like Disney movies then?
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

Russ

Quote gogs67
    Agreed. And like Marks and Spencer they are best avoided.

what's this about israel, I've never heard of it, but I don't read newspapers. I only heard the other week about coke-fueled gorillas in cambodia going around killing dugong lemurs.

No seriously though, can anyone fill me in? It seems like everything is bad for some reason thesedays though. Nothing is safe!!

Hi Jamie,

M&S rely a lot on Israeli manufacturers for their goods sending a lot of cash Israels way irrespective of its policy in the occupies territories.

Rich

you notice many greenpeace peers wear leather shoes and not even veggie?

All too often they're Environmentalists when it doesn't compromise their lifestyle.

Quote vegandrummersam
    All too often they're Environmentalists when it doesn't compromise their lifestyle.
    so true so true

mind you, they might be secondhand or recycled leather shoes! That's environmental, especially if they are falling apart.

See I just don't know enough about world politics to be completely everything-friendly!! I think I'd still rather buy a tshirt from M&S than Asda (Wallmart) if I were wanting to buy a tshirt... But when I have the ability, I'll instead buy an organic cotton tshirt from an eco/ethical-trader.