Thread: Possible Stroke Recognition

vegan1969

Default Possible Stroke Recognition

Quick and easy information on recognizing the signs of a stroke

"STROKE RECOGNITION

During a picnic a friend stumbled and took a little fall - she assured everyone that she was fine (they offered to call paramedics) and just tripped over a brick because of her new shoes. They got her cleaned up and got her a new plate of food while she appeared a bit shaken up, Ingrid went about enjoying herself the rest of the evening. Ingrid's husband called later telling everyone that his wife had been taken to the hospital (at 6:00pm, Ingrid passed away.) She had suffered a stroke at the picnic - had they known how to identify the signs of a stroke perhaps Ingrid would be with us today.

Sometimes symptoms of a stroke are difficult to identify. Unfortunately, the lack of awareness spells disaster. The stroke victim may suffer brain damage when people nearby fail to recognize the symptoms of a stroke. Now doctors say a bystander can recognize a stroke by asking three simple questions:

1. *Ask the individual to SMILE.
    2. *Ask them to RAISE BOTH ARMS.
    3. *Ask the person to SPEAK A SIMPLE SENTENCE (Coherently) (i.e. . .It is sunny out today)

If he or she has trouble with any of these tasks, call 9-1-1 immediately and describe the symptoms to the dispatcher.

Widespread use of this test could result in prompt diagnosis and treatment of the stroke and prevent brain damage."

Default Re: Possible Stroke Recognition

And make sure that the ambulance takes them to an emergency room that practices the latest in brain attack (oh yes, the new name for stroke) emergency medicine. Valuable time will be wasted in the emergency room if the staff is not up to date and using the brain attack protocol.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

feral

My hubby had a stroke due to a closed head injury 10yrs ago. He still has one pupil bigger than the other. we're very careful with any new symptoms he has. I'll have to tell him he's had a brain attack lol

Vegan1969 - very sorry about your friend.

Thank you so much for the info!

Quote DianeVegan
    And make sure that the ambulance takes them to an emergency room that practices the latest in brain attack (oh yes, the new name for stroke) emergency medicine. Valuable time will be wasted in the emergency room if the staff is not up to date and using the brain attack protocol.
    Brain attack? My grandfather had a stroke recently and everyone (the doctors and stuff) were all still calling it a stroke...
    Peace, love, and happiness.

vegan1969

Quote Nest
    Vegan1969 - very sorry about your friend.

Thank you so much for the info!
    Someone sent me that article and I posted it, I didn't know the person. Thanks though, very kind of you.

Quote Tigerlily
    Brain attack? My grandfather had a stroke recently and everyone (the doctors and stuff) were all still calling it a stroke...
    Of course they were, Tigerlilly - none of us can say brain attack with a straight face in the hospital! I think that although it became the "official" name for stroke in recent years, it still hasn't caught on.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein