Thread: Vegan meal ideas?

Exclamation meal ideas

im running out of ideas for what to eat and its making me very frusturated. does anyone have any meal ideas that are their favourites?
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Do you make stir-fries, foxytina? I like those because they are very little trouble and you can vary the ingredients so you never have exactly the same one twice. Also you can cook it very lightly and with very little oil so it's healthy- pretty much like a slightly-cooked salad.

I'm planning to make one this evening with

ginger
    garlic
    spring onions (scallions?)
    broccoli
    sweet pepper
    carrots
    mushrooms
    tofu or cashew nuts - haven't decided yet.

I'll serve it with either brown basmati rice or buckwheat noodles.

I like to eat things that already have premade in the freezer (homemade, of course), such as soups, burritos, pecan-cashew balls, stuffed zucchini or eggplant, different legume/vegetable combinations (from recipes), lentil spaghetti sauce.

I usually eat something that I have already made with a salad or steamed vegetables and fruit.

Do you have any cookbooks? Vegan cookbooks are wonderful. I have about 35 of them.
    utopiankitchen.wordpress.com

i like stirfries, but id rather eat sumthing with more protein. im really sick of carbs and im not getting enough protein. yes i have two vegan cookbooks

My advice would be to always have a legume, nut, and/or whole grain with your meal. If you have something that you feel doesn't have a lot of protein, then eat some peanut butter and apples or a handful of nuts or something.

i wish i had nuts im really running low on food! i do have sum peanut butter tho :\ and the only whole grain things i can eat are brown rice stuff (due to celiac) but that doesnt feel very protein filling.

Foxytina, composite dishes like stir fries can actually be made fairly high in protein. You could always have both nuts and tofu in it, and bean sprouts too. Also you can put a tbsp or two of peanut butter in the sauce.

If you want to reduce carbohydrates you don't have to serve it with rice if you don't want to. You could have it with quinoa, which is a bit like rice but is, I gather, much higher in protein - I think that is OK with a coeliac condition isn't it?

If you feel you're not getting enough protein, why not buy yourself a selection of (unroasted and unsalted) nuts and have those as a between meals snack? They are very nutritious and satisfying.

thanx harpy

I also think that it would serve you (or anyone, for that matter) well to eat a lunch or dinner that contains a salad with romaine or spinach, tomatoes, cucumbers, avocados, other vegetables, with a couple servings of fresh fruit or dried fruit. Obviously, the lunch would be comprised of more food than that, but the salad could be an appetizer and the fruit dessert. You wouldn't believe how energized I feel after eating such a meal.

And I think your body signals your brain when you need more protein. I know it when I can't stop thinking about peanut butter. LOL

Seriously, though, try to get more servings of fruits and vegetables; it will tremendously help your energy level. Think colorful!

I have a recipe for pecan-cashew balls that I will post in the recipe section. Those make a great addition to a vegetable-based meal. I eat them plain, but you can make sauce, like a tahini sauce or something, to go with them.

thanx artichoke i get to get sum veggies today so thats good. when i need protein i crave meat its very annoying! and when i need calcium i crave cheese. i know i definitely do not get enough veggies tho.

You're welcome.

I posted a lentil tomato sauce recipe, too. Lentils have a lot of protein, and if you can use whole wheat pasta, that will add even more protein to the dish.

Default Salad or Soup w/ Udon, Steamed Carrots & Broccoli in Peanut Sauce

This has been my favorite quick meal as of late, so I thought I'd post it.

The soup recipe is here: http://veganforum.com/forums/showpos...94&postcount=1

I make single-serving containers and freeze it.

Or a spinach salad w/ vegetables and sprouts would also make a great appetizer, side dish.

For each person (or serving), use 2 oz. (weighted when dry) of cooked Udon pasta (in the Chinese/Asian section) and 1/2 to 1 c. broccoli, 1/2 to 1 c. carrots, and 2 T. of the peanut sauce:

http://veganforum.com/forums/showpos...30&postcount=1

i wish i could eat udon noodles

ConsciousCuisine

Use wide rice noodles instead, Foxy! I use them where Udons are called for... The bonus is they take 3 minutes to be ready!

foxy, have you checked out the recipe thread? there are lots of individual recipes there or site where you can find loads of ideas

I recommend fried tofu fajitas... just put a teeny bit of olive oil in a frying pan, head it to medium, and throw a few thin slices of tofu in. Let it cook for a minute or two, and then flip the slices over to cook them on the other side. Add a bit of salsa, and a bit of almond or peanut butter, scramble it together, and wrap it into a fajita! I love them... delish!

what about like if u get pita bread but Vegan of corse and everyone makes a salad or meat (depending on who u have there?) a roll and its custom made and u can have anything on it.
    u can if u eat vegan chesse toast it under the grill or in the oven with tomartos in it?
    here is a good bread that i am using. im sure its vegan it dosent say it has animal bi products ect. ill give u the website:

http://www.ausmanufacturers.com.au/mountainbread/

i know this is ganna sound stupid im a new vegan been vego for a while but is that bread vegan?

i think it is but i wanna make sure if u know what i mean.
    thanx heeps and ill give u somewebsites soon fr somemore ideas.

What about emailing them with your question about whether or not it is vegan?
    btw, shouldn't these posts be in the recipes forum?
    Eve

i did eve but i thought cos most of you have been vegan for awhile you would have a better idea then me.
    i dunno i was just responding to the post
    If i cant kill it i WONT eat it, If i cant look into its eyes and hurt it, I wont take from it.

Gothic Ana, mountain bread is vegan - it is yummy isn't it

yay, can i get a toot toot lol sorry im just excited bout everything. thanx heeps for confermin that for me
    its so nice lol
    ty banana
    If i cant kill it i WONT eat it, If i cant look into its eyes and hurt it, I wont take from it.

It's not filling though - I am always hungry after a mountain bread wrap LOL - but I love all of the varieties - the corn one is great for burritos and the wholewheat one and the barley one is yummy for salad wraps or filled with falafel, tahini and tabbouli

yeah same lol
    i have the organic one with lettice and betroot. yummmy
    so all of them are vegan? i wasnt sure im still new at this
    but they r healthyer than bread i think anyways.

cheers & ur pritty.

Thanx gothic

Yeah, all of them are vegan, so you can munch all you want

Where is Oz are you???

im in Mid North Coast of OZ
    Country bumkin town
    and yw

Melbourne - I live around a 20 minute drive from the CBD - very inner city chic

sweet my cusion livs in melbone

For meals, I go along with Dr Doug Graham's 5-5-5 rule, that is, to have fewer than 5 ingredients, to take less than 5 minutes to prepare, and to cost under $5. To think I've kept that rule all these years without realising it was a rule!
    Eve

That is funny Eve! What are the reasons behind the 5-5-5 rule?

simplicity.
    Eve

My sinful indulgence of choice is a whole-wheat pita pocket, stuffed with a vegan burger, baby spinach, sliced tomato and red onion, and spread with roasted red pepper hummus.
    Our character is an omen of our destiny, and the more integrity we have and keep, the simpler and nobler that destiny is likely to be. ~ George Santayana

At the moment I am having alot of Butterbean and Herb Cream Soup. I usually eat soup with bread and salad.

Tonight I made Barley Bake and served it with steamed broccoli, roast potatoes and tomato wedges

Another favourite is Dhal with rice and salad, or kenyan dengu with barley and salad

I can give you the recipe I made up for Jambalaya...it is very filling and has a good bit of protein--oh and pretty cheap, too, considering how many servings you can get out of it:

8 cups vegetable stock
    1.5 cups uncooked brown rice
    2-3 tbsp. creole seasoning (mine is home-mixed)
    1 onion, coarsely chopped
    1 green pepper, coarsely chopped
    2 stalks celery, chopped
    2 cans beans (I prefer cannellini)
    1 can diced tomatoes
    1 can tomato sauce
    1 stick vegan margarine
    1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    1 pkg. Morningstar Farms Recipe Crumbles (or other meatless soy protein that you like)

Combine stock with uncooked rice and seasoning. Bring to a boil, cover and begin to simmer for 45 minutes. After about 20 minutes of simmering, add the onion, pepper and celery quickly and cover immediately (I try not to lose any more steam that I have to.) After about 35 minutes, sneak in the beans, tomatoes and tomato sauce. Make a roux by melting the margarine in a skillet (I like to use iron) and whisking in the flour just a little at a time and constantly mixing to make a creamy paste. Whisk constantly while cooking on medium heat for about 7 minutes. By this time, the 45 minutes of simmering should be up. Add the hot roux to the "soup", mix well and cook for about 5 minutes to thicken. This will REALLY thicken up after it has cooled, so expect your leftovers to be thick. While the rice mixture continues to cook, heat your recipe crumbles in a pan with a small amount of oil and add it to the mix. This makes a hearty dish that is very healthy and has plenty of protein. It can be made without the crumbles, but they add a nice texture as well as protein.

Hope this helps.

Suzulan

Quote foxytina_69
    i wish i had nuts im really running low on food! i do have sum peanut butter tho :\ and the only whole grain things i can eat are brown rice stuff (due to celiac) but that doesnt feel very protein filling.
    Why do you worry about your intake of protein so much?
    As long as we are getting enough calorie, we don't need to worry about protein deficiency.
    I think problem with people is not getting enough protein but getting too much protein.
    When war time in Japan, people who lived in country ate nothing but rice and vegetables but nobody suffered from protein deficiency.
    High protein intake is cause of osteoprosis and damaging our health.

Very true. There is more protein per calorie in most green leafy vegetables than in sirloin. It is virtually impossible to be protein deficient unless you are also LITERALLY starving from way too little calories OR eating ONLY refined foods or ONLY fruit. Most US recommendations are for 10 to 15% of calories from protein. Somehow I don't think the USDA (aka the beef and dairy industry) set it too low. Many researchers believe that 8% would be a more reasonable rate.

If you think you are protein deficient, get a program like FitDay (or use it on the net) and put in your food each day. It will give you all the figures you need to find out what your actual needs are. You are far more likely to be low on some other nutrients than on protein.

Quote Suzulan
    As long as we are getting enough calorie, we don't need to worry about protein deficiency.
    I think problem with people is not getting enough protein but getting too much protein.
    When war time in Japan, people who lived in country ate nothing but rice and vegetables but nobody suffered from protein deficiency.

Quote Suzulan
    im not worrying about it. but if my body is telling me it needs protein, than i will give it protein. just like if its telling me it needs carbs, fat, etc. i listen to my body very carefully, and considering when i wrote that i had barely any food, ofCOURSE i wasnt getting enough protein.

Quote kayell
    Very true. There is more protein per calorie in most green leafy vegetables than in sirloin. It is virtually impossible to be protein deficient unless you are also LITERALLY starving from way too little calories OR eating ONLY refined foods or ONLY fruit. Most US recommendations are for 10 to 15% of calories from protein. Somehow I don't think the USDA (aka the beef and dairy industry) set it too low. Many researchers believe that 8% would be a more reasonable rate.

If you think you are protein deficient, get a program like FitDay (or use it on the net) and put in your food each day. It will give you all the figures you need to find out what your actual needs are. You are far more likely to be low on some other nutrients than on protein.
    i do use fitday, everyday. there are some days i am low on protein, and there are some days i get JUST enough protein.

I made a pot of flavoured mushy millet and tossed some veggies in it. The millet took a bit of time, but it was all "wait till the pot goes done" time and not "slave like mad putting on a fancy-schmancy meal" time. The veggies were added at the last so they'd have time to cook up and still be lovely crunchy.

I guess if I were to give it a fancy name, it would be "toasted millet in a flavoured broth with assorted garden vegetables".

Somehow that sounds loads better than saying I had millet mush with veggies.

eta: I put that on with a mad-happy salad of mixed greens with beans and omg! it was teh yum!