Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Coffee

Default Re: What is delicious in coffee ??

Ah, I see - like I do too then, with equal measures in the cup and on the counter.

Quote Ruby Rose View Post
    ep - your grammatico-linguistics is boggling my mind! What is this "slart"? Are you doing northern speak again?
    Don't tar us with the same brush!

It's called EmmaP talk.

"I want a coffee flavoured coffee!" - Dennis Leary

Hazelnut milk is amazing!. Coconut milk would be a good replacement for cream. Flavoured syrups to add flavour + sweetness (you can get sugar-free). Get a good quality coffee, Add a tid-bit of sweetner (stevia, Xylitol, etc) and a dash of oat/nut/rice milk if you like simple/non-flavoured coffee.
    Until we stop harming all other living beings, We are still savages.

Default Re: coffee creamer

In the UK there is a creamer specifically for coffee.. it's Soya Too... Dark brown small tetra pack & it doesn't curdle.
    No guru, no method, no teacher

Quote jonnie falafel View Post
    In the UK there is a creamer specifically for coffee.. it's Soya Too... Dark brown small tetra pack & it doesn't curdle.
    Hallelujah! I'd given up and just drink coffee black now! must get some in for Yule.
    Silent but deadly :p

i've never seen this before, where have you bought it from?
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

I know you already know it wasn't TESCO!! ;-) You should be able to get it at your local wholefood shop. If you don't have one, or they can't get hold of it then try:
    http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-...rand/SOYA.html

It's nice enough stuff. The same company do a squirty cream & whipped cream too. Puts trifle back on the menu!

i've seen the squirty cream and whipping cream in shops but never the coffee creamer. thanks for the link.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

I saw some today, and it was the first time I'd seen it in the shop, so my guess is it's a new product (or new pushing of one, anyway)
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Quote twinkle View Post
    I saw some today, and it was the first time I'd seen it in the shop, so my guess is it's a new product (or new pushing of one, anyway)
    and the name of the shop was...........................?!!

Currant Affairs in Loseby Lane, Leicester. Sorry, I didn't think Gorilla would be interested since she's a couple of hundred miles away from me and surrounded by magnificent vegan shopping options (not that I'm terribly terribly jealous or anything ) and forgot that other people might be!
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Vegan Vixen

Veggiemaya I'm with you, I've tried all the different vegan milk subsitutes, rice milk, almond milk, soy milk, coconut milk, silk creamer and nothing works, they are not thick enough. You have to use a 1/2 container of the silk creamer to even get your coffee to turn the slightest color. All the other just have no flavor when mixed in coffee. I did however find 2 sites that have Vegan Instant creamer one was already posted Natures Flavor and the other one is http://www.kosher.com/search/brand?mnf=Taam-Tov. I haven't tried either one of these. Maybe someone else on the board has. Maybe we need in create a Vegan Creamer and make a fortune..

VV

Quote Vegan Vixen View Post
    Veggiemaya I'm with you, I've tried all the different vegan milk subsitutes, rice milk, almond milk, soy milk, coconut milk, silk creamer and nothing works, they are not thick enough. You have to use a 1/2 container of the silk creamer to even get your coffee to turn the slightest color. All the other just have no flavor when mixed in coffee. I did however find 2 sites that have Vegan Instant creamer one was already posted Natures Flavor and the other one is http://www.kosher.com/search/brand?mnf=Taam-Tov. I haven't tried either one of these. Maybe someone else on the board has. Maybe we need in create a Vegan Creamer and make a fortune..

VV
    See my link above. Also there's another one called 'Cafe Expert' in 1 litre cartons:

http://mungodeli.com//product_info.php?products_id=1745

I like the flavor of almond milk, though it is quite mild, so you might want to sweeten it up, maybe with maple syrup or something? I usually have my coffee without anything, and don't drink coffee much anyway, but that might taste good.

Vegan Vixen

See my link above. Also there's another one called 'Cafe Expert' in 1 litre cartons:

http://mungodeli.com//product_info.php?products_id=1745

Jonnie thank you, I will try and find that product here in the states. Maybe this is a good time to stop drinking coffee... nah, never happen.

VV

Default Complicated substitute for coffee creamer

After some trial and error, my wife and I came up with the following combination that tastes great (replacing the international coffee vanilla creamer we used to use). We use silk soymilk, vanilla syrup, and sugar. It's complicated and I haven't figured out the precise measurements for the perfect cup, but it can be pretty damn tasty.

Default Migraine & Coffee

I have migraine and it really disturbing me, not everyday but probably twice per week, especially when the weather is windy or in airtight areas, I never took pain medicine but have to drink coffee, and it will be gone soon, but it will be back some other days, I don't like the feeling and I don't think drink too much coffee is good, but I don't know how to change...
    We must accept finite disappointment, but we must never lose infinite hope. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

cobweb

Default Re: Migraine & Coffee

it probably is a caffeine rebound thing

you can give up coffee but you have to be prepared to drink gallons of water to flush it out, and be laid up with a constant headache and migraines for about a fortnight (in my experience).

either that or just accept things as they are, maybe cut down on the coffee to one or two a day, and drink a load of water in between .

migraines are nasty aren't they?

They are really doing something!
    Thanks Cobweb, I will try, actullay I don't drink too much but just not easy to quit...
    We must accept finite disappointment, but we must never lose infinite hope. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

On Saturday mornings many years ago I used to get what I thought was a mild hangover headache that was cured by a cup of coffee, until one Friday night I didn't have a drink and still had the headache!

I realised it was the lie-in that caused it...the lack of early morning workday coffee, I didn't cut out coffee but drank it less routinely in the early morning and it solved the problem!

Are they really migraines or just headaches? My husband has suffered from migraines for years & there is a difference. He always vomits & has a huge sensitivity to light, and terrible pain. It tends to wipe him out for a whole day or two & the only thing that makes it tolerable is to sleep it off...

Try weaning yourself slowly off the coffee, if you still get regular headaches/migraines after a couple of weeks maybe you should go & get looked at by a doctor...see if you can work out any other triggers.

My husband has an essential oil stick that he rolls on to his temples during a migraine - contains lavender & peppermint oils. It really helps him manage the pain. Perhaps you can try something like this

Default Espresso/Coffee junkies

I know some vegans who don't drink coffee because of the effect it has on calcium, but I love it. I'll actively admit I'm addicted to the caffeine, but I really enjoy the taste of properly brewed coffee or an intence 2oz up of espresso! I don't know if anyone else here is into to coffee.

I usually start my day off with a couple cups from my press or moka pot (pseudo espresso). I'm really into this company from upstate New York called Gimme Coffee! because they take what they're doing very seriously roasting wise. I have favorite coffees and roasting styles but I'll see if this thread actually kicks off and I'll continue.

Default Re: Espresso/Coffee junkies

I love coffee too. I normally make it in a cafetière as I think it brings the flavour out better than a drip filter. I don't normally drink espresso as I like a big cup.

I use an AeroPress(tm) (http://www.aerobie.com/Products/aeropress_story.htm)

when I go camping as I kept breaking cafetières and they take up too much space anyway.

I take it strong and black, sometimes with a little bit of demerara sugar depending on how I'm feeling.
    Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion". The "X" makes it sound cool.

cafetière thats what I meant by press, they're called a number of things over here.... and I just got a brikka which is like a souped up moka pot that makes sorta a fake crema theres a bit of foam on top so its give you the feeling of drinking coffee bar espresso. http://www.bialettishop.com/BrikkaMain.htm its a fun little stove top device...

also if you like slightty bigger cups are you in to lattes and caps, I just recently found out they can do em properly with soy milk... I'm talking stuff like this....

yr drinking art

from one of my favorite coffee shops in new york city.. too bad a 2 hour drive is necessery to get this quality.

there are some omni's that don't drink coffee too, its not just vegans

I used to work in a coffee shop, my favorite thing to do was make coffee art and twirl syrup bottles, its like a show for my customers.
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

I'm addicted too. I tried to stop drinking it because of calcium but I get HUGE withdrawal headaches ._.
    But at least I don't drink it too much, just a couple of expresso a day. It used to be 5-6 when I was a crazy teen o_o

Quote Eat Y'self Fitter View Post
    also if you like slightty bigger cups are you in to lattes and caps, I just recently found out they can do em properly with soy milk... I'm talking stuff like this....
    No, I'm not really into lattes and such like. Plain old black coffee is where it's at. If I want a milky drink I like cocoa made with rice milk. Mmmm, might have a nice hot cup of cocoa now actually.

No discussion of coffee would be complete without:

[youtube]aQxgv4QtKM8[/youtube]

That cracks me up every time.
    Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion". The "X" makes it sound cool.

cafetière thats what I meant by press, they're called a number of things over here.... and I just got a brikka which is like a souped up moka pot that makes sorta a fake crema theres a bit of foam on top so its give you the feeling of drinking coffee bar espresso. http://www.bialettishop.com/BrikkaMain.htm its a fun little stove top device...

yr drinking art

from one of my favorite coffee shops in new york city.. too bad a 2 hour drive is necessery to get this quality.
    There's a place near me that does designs like that on their soya lattes and cappuccinos--it's so beautiful! I have a latte or a mocha almost every day (although if I'm in a place that I think would do a decent cappuccino sometimes I'll get that...same with espresso, I'll only have one if I think the place can do a decent job on it). If I drink more than one espresso-based drink a day I can get jittery, but I really just love the flavor. I actually like to drink a latte at the end of the day, to sort of relax me (like how some people might say 'I'd really like a pint after work'...I say 'I could really use a latte after class today.'). But then I'm weird like that. Where did you buy your brikka? Did you get it off that website? Considering how expensive lattes are, I should considering buying a brikka and making them at home.

Mahk

You know you're an addict when there's a picture of a coffee mug on your coffee mug!

I love coffee and drink between 3 and 5 cups a day. I love it with vanilla soy milk, and I love to treat myself to a vanilla soy latte every now and then

Espressos are good when you need a caffeine injection

Quote Mahk View Post
    You know you're an addict when there's a picture of a coffee mug on your coffee mug!
    Pics place!

This bar just down the road from where I live used to make soy milk cappuccino. You can't understand how WEIRD this is. No bars and cafès have soy milk here, and we don't have Starbucks. I was so happy and surprised when I found out, since I used to love cappuccino when I wasn't vegan. But last time I went there they told they stopped buying soy milk because not enough people was asking for it It's a common, round-the-corner bar, not some high-end hippy-chic place, so that's not surprising at all. I'll just have to make my own cappuccinos, but it's just not the same.

That's so annoying! What's it cost for a litre of soy milk there? It can't be that expensive.

I can't believe that there are still coffee shops here that don't supply soy milk. I mean they're not only catering to us vegans, but also people who have lactose intollerance.

Quote Roxy View Post
    That's so annoying! What's it cost for a litre of soy milk there? It can't be that expensive.

I can't believe that there are still coffee shops here that don't supply soy milk. I mean they're not only catering to us vegans, but also people who have lactose intollerance.
    Soy milk is 1.29€ per litre in discount stores and at least 1.99€ in normal supermarkets. A cappuccino is about 1.30€. Not very economically convenient for them I guess :|

Mahk

Stolen from the web (I don't really own a coffee mug coffee mug, but I'd like to):

Anyone own a "moka pot"? They are said to make a pretty good espresso without the expensive machine, just your stove top. Many are aluminum but I think I will pay a little extra for a stainless steel one.

I wanted one of those stove espresso pots, Woolworths always had them in their Jan sales. ...

I'd been using them while on holiday and they do make pretty good coffee!

Woolworths always had them for under a tenner, everywhere else I've seen them seems fairly expensive....so if anyone knows of them being sold for a similar price, please could you let me know?

Quote Mahk View Post
    Anyone own a "moka pot"? They are said to make a pretty good espresso without the expensive machine, just your stove top. Many are aluminum but I think I will pay a little extra for a stainless steel one.
    I do Every italian house has at least one moka! Life without it would have no meaning I think it's worth to spend a little extra on it, if you plan to use it regularly. Bialetti is definitely good.

Quote Roxy View Post
    The problem with providing the option of soya milk in a place which doesn't have much of a demand is that the open carton spoils and you get curdled soya milk - not nice.

I'll actively admit I'm addicted to the caffeine, but I really enjoy the taste of properly brewed coffee or an intence 2oz up of espresso! I don't know if anyone else here is into to coffee.
    Meeeeeeee!! I've cut back from a pot of black coffee each day to about 4-6 cups. I'm looking into getting an espresso/ latte machine. It would be awesome to make my own espressos and lattes! Right now, I drink brewed black fair-trade coffee. I like the guatamalan/ peruvian blends the most, like Casi Cielo. Though, Starbuck's Sumatra and Cafe Estima are pretty awesome. Three of my best friends work at Starbucks; I'm always supplied with unlimited coffee.
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

Quote mariana View Post
    Where did you buy your brikka? Did you get it off that website? Considering how expensive lattes are, I should considering buying a brikka and making them at home.
    I got it as a gift.. but I'm pretty sure my mom got it at http://www.bialettishop.com/BrikkaMain.htm because I printed it off to tip her off. Prices are in USD, there has to be a UK dealer or theres always places like amazon. I have the 2 cup one cos i heard it makes better coffee. However seeing I drink a lot of coffee I kinda wish I went for the 4 cup..

with a brikka your hand too could look like mine

I like the look of that!!

Brikka . . . there has to be a UK dealer or theres always places like amazon.
    I bought one from Selfridges in London for my friend for Xmas.

Where did you get your Aeropress beanstew? I've been using coffee bags (like a teabag - free samples available here) for my one cup a day but wondered whether it is worth changing over.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Quote Marrers View Post
    Where did you get your Aeropress beanstew? I've been using coffee bags (like a teabag - free samples available here) for my one cup a day but wondered whether it is worth changing over.
    I got my Aeropress from Amazon. I don't use it every day as I like my press too much but it's fantastic for festivals.

I used to take coffee bags to work when I worked in an office that only had instant coffee.

Quote AnneCE View Post
    The problem with providing the option of soya milk in a place which doesn't have much of a demand is that the open carton spoils and you get curdled soya milk - not nice.
    Yep, that's what they told me when I asked why they didn't buy it anymore. But I wonder why they couldn't use it anyway even if people don't ask for it? The taste isn't THAT different. Ok, it would be a bit like cheating, but it's better than throwing away perfectly yummy soy milk

It took me a while to get used to soy milk in coffee. It burns at a lower temp then regular milk so baristas mess it up unless they know what they're doing. However now I do enjoy soy milk when its done right its creamier in a nice way not the theres fat in it way. However I hate when coffee shops charge 40 cents more for soy milk.

Quote Loss View Post
    This bar just down the road from where I live used to make soy milk cappuccino . . . No bars and cafès have soy milk here . . . I was so happy and surprised when I found out
    . . . they stopped buying soy milk because not enough people was asking for it
    Hardly surprising if no-one knew they stocked it. Maybe you should ask them to give it another try and actually advertise it more obviously for a trial period before they decide it is not viable. Maybe a sign outside would bring people who didn't know about it in?
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Ah coffee! My favorite drink, I love it, I drink about 5-6 cups daily.
    When I'm at home I make black coffee with vanilla soy milk, or when I'm in town, I drink espresso.

with a brikka your hand too could look like mine
    That is beautiful...I want one! I discovered a wonderful Australian coffee shop near me recently (in fact I'm there right now) and have been spending a lot of time here lately. I find it easier to get my reading done when I'm in a coffee shop for some reason. I think it provides just the right level of background noise for me....or maybe it's just the espresso that helps me concentrate. I also got to try my first flat white here. It was really good!

I love proper coffee! Never knew about the calcium thing, I'm sure it won't put me off drinking it.

However, I never seem to be able to stop the soya or oat milk from curdling a little.

Does anybody have a failsafe method of making it mix nicely?