Eggless Omelets

3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
    2 T nutritional yeast
    1 tsp non-aluminum baking powder
    1/4 tsp salt
    pinch of tumeric

scant 1 cup of non-dairy milk
    1/2 tsp oil

1. Place the flour, nutritional yeast, baking powder, salt and tumeric in medium mixing bowl and stir until well combined.

2. Pour the milk and oil into the dry ingredients and stir well with a wire wisk to make a smooth batter. Let the batter rest for 5 or 10 minutes then stir again.

3. Preheat a skillet until hot (flick with water, the water should sizzle and steam). Spray with non-stick cooking spray. Pour 1/3 cup of batter into the pan, swirl around to create a 5 or 6 inch circle.

4. Cook omelet until top is completely dry and bottom is deep golden brown. Loosen omelet with a spatula and cook other side until it is a deep golden color and flecked with brown. Slide omelet onto plate.

5. Fold omelets in half or stuff with your favorite fillings prior to folding

I added a bit of onion powder to the batter. You can also add parsley, tabasco, veggy bacon bits, scallions, dill etc..

Melty White Cheez

1 1/3 cup water
    1/4 cup nutritional yeast
    1/4 cup quick-cooking rolled oats (not instant)
    2 Tbsp tahini
    1 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch
    2 tsp lemon juice
    1 tsp onion powder
    3/4 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp garlic powder

1. Place all ingredients into a blender and process until completely smooth.

2. Pour the mixture into a saucepan and place on medium-high heat. Constantly whisk until sauce is very thick and smooth.

Note: The sauce will thicken when chilled but will become melty again once gently reheated.

I made my omelets by taking stuffing an omelet with sauteed kale and the cheez sauce then drizzling some cheez sauce on top. Yum.

mmm thanx feline!
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Sounds good!

When it says to cook only 1/3 of the batter...does that mean the rest of the batter goes to make another one for someone else? How many servings does this serve?

The recipe made about 2 huge omelets, enough for 2 or 3 people. You can make smaller omelets, just use a smaller measuring cup. It's very flexible.

I saw that and was thinking that's from Vegan Vittles isn't it. The 'omelets' alone are awesome I usually toss in chives. I've made them a few times and once for my family. Quite good. I haven't made them with the 'cheese' though.

Yeah I don't think I'd like the cheez. I never liked real cheese on my egg omelets before I became vegan, so I doubt I would now.

what is the difference between normal whole wheat flour and whole wheat pastry flour? and i wonder if i could make the cheese without the oats?

sounds yummers feline

i used to hate eggs but for some reason was sometimes a bit partial to a cheese omelette. this should be worth trying
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Quote foxytina_69
    what is the difference between normal whole wheat flour and whole wheat pastry flour? and i wonder if i could make the cheese without the oats?
    whole wheat pastry flour has been milled finer. if you don't have it on hand, you can use reg whole wheat flour. just put it in the blender or food processor and process until fine. don't think the cheez sauce would thicken well without the oats.

well i cant eat wheat so i just used brown rice flour instead, and with the cheese sauce, i thickened it with brown rice flour rather then oats. it worked out great, but the omlette part didnt fold over well without breaking. i smothered both with the cheese sauce (which is delicious!) and parsely, stuffed them with sauteed mushrooms and dipped them in ketchup while i ate them. they were delicious! but they tasted more like pancakes than eggs

That's what I thought as well, more pancakey but still delicous

ugh i cant get over how good these are!

does the cookbook with these have the nutritional info for the pancakes and cheese sauce feline?

I'm pretty sure it does, I'll post it next time I have access to the cookbook (it's home, I'm at work)

thanx feline

Here they are Foxy. I finally remembered!!

For the eggless omelets, per serving:
    153 calories, 7gm protein, 27gm carbohydrate, 2gm fat

Melty white cheeze per 1/4 cup:
    80 calories, 4gm protein, 9gm carbohydrates, 3gm fat

has anyone ever tried a tofu omlette? there's an excellent recipe for them in The Garden of Vegan. i too wasn't a huge fan of eggs (i hated the aftertaste that lasted for hours) but i did really miss omlettes when i went vegan. i was super excited to find the recipe. if anyone wants to try that one just let me know and i'll post it.

thanx feline,

would 1 serving be half the amount of batter? because u said it made two omlettes

The cookbook wasn't specific but I gather it means 1/2 the recipe.

thanx feline

has anyone ever tried a tofu omlette? there's an excellent recipe for them in The Garden of Vegan. i too wasn't a huge fan of eggs (i hated the aftertaste that lasted for hours) but i did really miss omlettes when i went vegan. i was super excited to find the recipe. if anyone wants to try that one just let me know and i'll post it.
    I've made eggless egg salad with tofu once before, it was great! The texture and taste was so similar to one of my favorite sandwiches, but I've never made the omlette with tofu-
    Please post this, I would love to try it!

Quote Steph
    I've made eggless egg salad with tofu once before, it was great! The texture and taste was so similar to one of my favorite sandwiches, but I've never made the omlette with tofu-
    Please post this, I would love to try it!
    ok, i don't have the recipe with me but i've made it enough that i've gotten pretty good at just winging it. if the tast (or texture) isn't what you want feel free to experiment. here goes:

1/2 block of firm tofu
    soy sauce to taste (i use ~1tbps)
    corriander to taste
    cumin to taste
    tumeric to taste
    any other spices you might like to taste
    enough grated vegan cheese to cover half the omlette
    veggies for filling, i usually use the following:
    mushrooms
    onions
    bell pepper
    tomato
    spinach

in a bowl, mash the tofu alot with the soy sauce (to where it's close to the consistancy of scrambled eggs). mix in all of your spices (don't be shy with them, i've found that i use alot). heat a little oil in a 12 inch frying pan. mash the tofu down on the pan so that form sort of a tofu "disk" (it should cover alot if not all of the pan). let it fry until the bottom starts to brown and sear. add your cheese to half the "disk" and let that melt a little bit, then add the rest of your toppings to the half (if you use mushrooms and onion be sure to fry them up first in a seperate pan, or else the be pretty much raw inside the omlette. flip the half that doesn't have toppings on it over top the half that does. reduce heat to low, cover, and let cook for a couple minutes. enjoy!!!

thanks mattd!
    i'm going to make this this weekend

gmoney

Default Vegan omelettes

my non-vegan friend was questioning me about vegan alternatives today. he asked me how to make vegan omelettes. i can't think of how you would do that, but i'm convinced there has to be a way! so, i was wondering: does anyone know how to make vegan omelettes? thanks!
    Last edited by veganbuzzcock; Jun 23rd, 2006 at 03:31 AM. Reason: i can't spell

Default Re: omelettes?

I saw a recipe once....let me see if I can find it again. It was a lot like scrambled tofu.

Yep...vegweb.com has a couple....here is one of them

Tofu Omelette

This recipe is probably hidden somewhere in the recipes section. It's pretty darn good!!

1 package extra firm tofu (NOT silken)
    1/8 tsp of tumeric
    salt and pepper to taste
    oil for frying
    your favourite omelette veggies
    salsa if desired
    soy cheese if desired

In to a small bowl, grate the tofu using the "big hole" side of the grater. Gently toss with the tumeric and salt and pepper. In a large fry pan, heat a bit of oil over medium heat. Using your hands scoop up half of the tofu mixture and carefully place on the hot pan; try to form an omelette shapped patty. In the other half of the pan saute your veggies. Fry the omelette until bottom is golden. Scoop the veggies on to half the omelette, top with Salsa and "cheese", fold and transfer to you plate.. enjoy

gmoney

thanks! that sounds a little complicated and like it might not work. (maybe it's just that i'm not that talented of a chef!) i'll have to give it a try and let you know how it goes!

Gram flour is good for making omelettes too - they come out more like omelettes rather than the scrambled tofu mentioned above.

Just mix some gram flour with water, heat the oil, add your choice of vegetables and spices, then pour over the gram flour mix!

They are very filling though!
    I bet Yoda was a vegan

What the heck is gram flour?=)
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

flour made from chick peas/garbanzos.
    its yellow-y in colour.

Quote VB
    my non-vegan friend was questioning me about vegan alternatives today.
    I'm probably being pessimistic and have an overactive imagination, but in my head I'm imagining a conversation that went:

a) "Hi I'm vegan!"
    b) "Why!? You can't eat anything!"
    a) "Oh yes I can, there are loads of alternatives these days."
    b) "Oh yeh, what about omelette, huh? Bet you can't have omelette! Ha!"

In which case to your friend. Does it really matter if there's a vegan alternative or not? The fact is, there's plenty to eat that IS vegan and alternatives to non-vegan foods are great and add to the variety, but aren't really essential to being vegan and the fact that there isn't a really great alternative to an omelette isn't the point.

Of course if he was genuinely interested and wasn't just using as an excuse then , and no, sorry, no good omelette recipes

Cool, I was afraid that it was going to be something devoid of protein, so essentially I was going to have a veg pankcake. Hehehe. I have soy flour, think that would work? Where can I get gram flour? Is it common?

^ Would it be possible to just finely grind dried chickpeas in a heavy-duty blender/food processor/coffee grinder?

That would really be something because I have some wasabi peas that I don't know what to do with

Bryanna Clark Grogan has an omelet featured but I think you have to subscribe to her newsletter to get the recipe. It really looks delicious tough.

http://veganfeastkitchen.blogspot.com/

Quote Haniska
    Cool, I was afraid that it was going to be something devoid of protein, so essentially I was going to have a veg pankcake. Hehehe. I have soy flour, think that would work? Where can I get gram flour? Is it common?
    ello

I wouldn't use soy flour myself, but you should be able to pick up gram flour at Indian shops
    I bet Yoda was a vegan

That omelette looks really good Jane M It says it's made from soy. Mmmm.

Yeh, I used to get gram flour (for onion bhajis and things) from an Indian grocery shop near me. I've seen it in supermarkets too. Haniska, I'm sure anywhere near you that sells big bags of lentils and spices and things should have gram flour too.

Thanks! However, all this talk has got me thinking about the dried refried beans I have downstairs. Hehehhee

Quote Jane M
    Bryanna Clark Grogan has an omelet featured but I think you have to subscribe to her newsletter to get the recipe. It really looks delicious tough.

http://veganfeastkitchen.blogspot.com/
    I haven't tried any of her recipes yet, but I recently found her website and everything looks great!

I think I may subscribe to this newsletter...cool!

Smile Chickpea flour omelette?

does any of you guys know how to make this? i'd like to try

Default Re: Chickpea flour omelette?

They call it "socca" and there are a few recipes for that on the web.

I am not very good at fried things but I make something similar in the oven: here's a description I wrote a while ago of the method.

"Essentially you just need 3 oz of gram flour and 12 fl oz water which you mix thoroughly, adding seasonings such as cayenne pepper. I put spinach in the batter as well as one recipe suggested this would produce a lighter result (though I wouldn't say it was very light). For the filling you need a selection of chopped or sliced vegetables (onions, potatoes, sweetcorn and tomatoes in our case) and you precook the ones that would be indigestible if undercooked (onions and potatoes). Then you grease a shallow baking dish, arrange the vegetables on the bottom and pour the batter over them, tilting the dish to get good coverage. It took about 25 minutes to cook in a medium
    oven. "

Default Re: Vegan omelettes

I haven't had a chance to try this recipe yet but it looks like it would be good plus it's high in protein and low in calories. http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2007/09...e-for-one.html

Default Re: Vegan omelettes

Mmmmm! It looks really tasty