Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Alternative therapies

Yogini

Default Re: Alternative therapies

I forgot to mention something about rose oil. Pure rose essential oil is crazy expensive and out of reach of most people. But you can get rose absolute, which is rose oil in a carrier oil, usually jojoba. This can still be a bit much (about $40 USD per ounce) but you wouldn't believe how much the pure stuff costs.

We use aromatherapy on a daily basis in our household It really works for us. I have also signed up to do an aromatherapy seminar and workshop at the end of this month. I'm really looking forward to it! It is going to teach us the very basics of aromatherapy and then throughout the year, I will be able to take other short seminars on different types of aromatherapy.

Pilaf

Two words: tai chi. Do the breathing exercises and stances for thirty minutes every day. My health has improved, and I believe yours will too.

Best beginner video: The instruction part has been a great help to me

I don't even do all the exercises there..just my personal favorites.

Reiki,shiatsu,herbs therapy,prayers,holy places and other things is suitable.

I'm a registered nurse (since 1985) and will qualify as a podiatrist (three year bachelor of science degree chiropodist who can do surgery) in June.
    I will be opening a vegan surgery using only natural herbal vegan products apart from LA for surgery.
    I am also an initiated witch (2nd degree) and do (free) magic on request for healing etc. I am currently resorting to candle magic to lose weight having no willpower to diet I'll let you know how I get on.
    I'd sooner go for natural healing than standard treatments most of the time but we are very lucky having Hera the wonderful herbalist up the road!
    Silent but deadly :p

Hemlock, I am not familiar with what an initiated witch is. Would you mind elaborating a little? It's a new term for me.

Default tried 'em all

Conventional medicine often fails too so I give alternatives a shot... sometimes literally! Self-blood therapy was gruesome. Liquid-procaine a sickening head rush. Reiki tingling. Magnets too lumpy.iAcupuncture big success. Ditto for manipulation (Chinese practioner) that ended 'arthritis' pain. Reflexology was only a diagnostic tool. Also great diagnostic was iridology. St. John's to the rescue among other highly effective herbs.
    And in conclusion to my long and varied medical history I can confidently state: Bach and Homeopathy is PLACIBO only! I was not at all surprised at that conclusion being overwelmingly reached by non-animal study overview. (unfortunately vivisection also conducted in this area).

Any therapy is only as good as the practioner. Seek the best. And try not to get sick in the first place... it's too expensive
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

Gliondrach

Quote Hemlock
    I am currently resorting to candle magic to lose weight having no willpower to diet I'll let you know how I get on.
    Don't eat too many candles. They can be very fattening. If you must eat them, make sure you put the flame out first.

cvC

Quote theosof
    Unfortunately, I haven't been a member of this forum long enough to figure out how to add a website yet.
    Find the site you want to post a link to, left click on its address, which will make it blue, click on "Edit", then on "Copy". Click on the "Paste" below it to add the link to your reply.

Yogini

Quote Yogini
    Pure rose essential oil is crazy expensive and out of reach of most people. But you can get rose absolute, which is rose oil in a carrier oil, usually jojoba.
    I have something funny to report after saying the above in an earlier post. Last week I purchased a 1 oz bottle of Aura Cacia brand rose absolute, then tucked it in my aromatherpy bad which is generally stored on the floor, under a window in my bedroom.

Temperatures dramatically dropped. I don't know it was frozen, congealed, or what, but said rose absolute is now in solid form and cannot be used!

So apparently, rose absolute should not be stored at cold temperatures. Good to know.

I had a full body massage for the first time ever the other day and ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo it was sooooooo lovely. I'd love to learn how to do massage myself. But... when she did the massage i felt a strange tingling in the top of my head as she went up my spine. what was that about?
    My turn of mind is so given to taking things in the absurd point of view that it breaks out in spite of me every now and then.

- Byron

research states that echinacea and garlic are inefective on illlness. one should only take perscribed antibiotic. thats a fact, phamicudical (sp?) comapanys and the government WOULD NOT lie!!
    i think w/ alternative med you have to find out what works for you. i love garlic when im feeling crummy
    The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them: that's the essense of inhumanity. George Bernard Shaw

Tiggerwoo

Quote zena
    research states that echinacea and garlic are inefective on illlness. one should only take perscribed antibiotic. thats a fact, phamicudical (sp?) comapanys and the government WOULD NOT lie!!
    i think w/ alternative med you have to find out what works for you. i love garlic when im feeling crummy
    Lol..... in fact I'm taking plenty of garlic and echinacea as we speak to help me get over this infection!

Quote Gliondrach
    Don't eat too many candles. They can be very fattening. If you must eat them, make sure you put the flame out first.
    That's where I've been going wrong!!! wax.....brrrrrrr!
    Silent but deadly :p

Quote zena
    i think w/ alternative med you have to find out what works for you.
    I think this is a good way to approach therapies of any kind. Not necessarily just 'stick with what you know' but find something that works the best for you and go with that.

Personally, I have found yoga & feldenkrais (my physiotherapist does it - she's a miracle worker when it comes to muscle pain) the best things for my own problems (tendonitis in my left upper arm & severe tension in neck & shoulders).
    I have also experienced a full kundalini release at a group session of a personal development seminar (a truly incredible feeling).
    Some of the theory behind homeopathy makes sense to me but other parts of the practice confuse or irritate me (homeopath gave my boyfriend a herbal digestive enzyme formula containing porcine pancreatin & pepsin & another 'bovine' ingredient).
    Boyfriend is currently studying to become a massage therapist (had my first lot of massage 'practice' from him the other day). He's primarily interested in working as a sports massage therpaist but wants to learn many techniques to make him 'well-rounded' as a therapist.
    I'm seriously thinking about starting either a naturopathy or human nutrition qualification. However, I've already done 4 1/2 years at university (I have a degree in health sciences) & the time & money thing is an issue for me at the moment. On the other hand, i see life as a continuous learning experience so one of these courses would really be an investment of sorts.
    Wow, look how long my message is getting! Just one last thing - I believe in personal choice when it comes to what you put into your body in the way of medications/therapies etc. but I have a firm view about the benefits of vaccination. I have had a number of practitioners from homeopathic traditions hassle & even yell at me for my opinions on this. It is certainly a very sensitive issue for many people for different reasons but I wish that they respected my decisions pertaining to this.

Diana
    akaredarcher
    If I didn't say it, don't assume it.

That's one more reason, Akaredarcher, for me to look down my nose at homeopathy... Vacination for all it's faults is our duty IMO to the weak and vulnerable among us who cannot be vacinated- immune suppressed or seriously unwell- we are a herd. That and me getting tired of trying every conceivable sugar-pill combination to no affect. Codswallop.
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

Yogini

I bought a neti pot today to try and control my seasonal allergies. Next to the neti pot was a container of "neti pot salt." It contained about 8 oz and cost 7.99 USD. I read the ingredients to see what kind of salt costs that much. It was uniodized salt with no additives. Out of curiosity, I went to the baking section and, sure enough, there was the exact same product (packaged differently) for about 1/3 the price.

That was the funniest thing I've seen all week.

Yogini

OK, so I finally got around to trying the above-mentioned neti pot. I used it this morning and my nose has been a little bloody since. Does anybody know if this is normal and whether it will go away with regular use?