Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Alternative therapies

wuggy

Default Alternative therapies

I am a Reiki Master, and am open to any 'alternative therapies' - though some are disappointing, and some are a rip-off. I am interested to know what works for other vegans?

Accupuncture.

i use essential oils, i find they're very effective.

I found Bowen therapy useful at one time, for pain relief.
    Eve

i find Bach's Rescue Remedy very useful for stressful times.

yeah, rescue remedy is excellent, the other bach remedies are probably good too but i just cant wait maybe a week or two for them to kick in, sometimes the relief needs to be immediate....

Just stick a drop or two under your tongue, and the rescue remedy works instantly!
    Eve

For pain relief I use magnet therapy, I had a really bad joint in my hand and started wearing a pulse band with magnets and the joint is now perfect,don't know if its the magnet or the fact that I have been vegan for a year now, but the pain relief works for me.

wuggy

Has anyone else tried a Neti Pot for sinus problems! They are fantastic!
    I used to have prescription drops as I am 'allergic' to dust and my sinuses were always blocked. The Neti Pot, used once a day, has cleared them completely, and also cleared my migraines. Also, I sometimes begin a cold, but using the Neti twice instead of the usual once a day, eliminates the symptoms completely.
    If you're interested, look up www.healthandyoga.com.

ConsciousCuisine

I can't pick just one! I love "Fusion" treatments like we offer at The Spa I work at...A blending of Deep Tissue, Trager, Swedish, Tui Na, Acupressure, Aromatherapy and Reiki in a Full Body Massage and Healing Treatment! MMM! I also love Acupuncture, Network Chiropractic, and Herbalism. I love all things Holistic! I know what you mean, wuggy about some "charlatans" in the "healing" fields...when pepletry to charge hundreds of dollars to "transfer genetic imprinting an d remove bioenergetic resonance that is blocked" I am suspicious. Any true "healer" will give work where it is needed and won't be so greedy and rigid and act as if they and they alone have privelidged information because they "trained with the Masters" or speak to Christ or whatever...That sickens me and makes me careful of how I approach the topic of Holistic Healing and the *numerous* Alternative Therapies I offer...As a Reiki Practitioner, I know you know what I mean..we all have the ability to access the Universal, endless and loving healing energies that exist within us and in the world around us...

For the record, I am a Master Herbalsit, Reiki Master, Licensed Holistic Health Practitioner and Nutritionist, Doula (Dona), Nationally Certified Massage Therapist, Certified Somatic Therapist, Hypnotherapist, Vegan (cooked) and Living and Raw Foods Chef and Organic Cleanse and Herbal Remedy Craftswoman amongst other things...I think that all makes it pretty clear how I feel about "Natural and Alternative" Therapies It is a HUGE part of who I am as a person and Professionally!

wuggy

CC, how did you find enough hours to train for all these wonderful things?
    The 'fusion' sounds like bliss!!!
    I have met a few people who have sickened me with their horribly HUGE egos, I never want to be like them, but I would love to be a really good healer. I studied Homoeopathy but didn't finish my Diploma, I was having too many doubts. Next I would like to do an official herbal course, and maybe colour therapy, too.
    Also I am doing a Yoga diploma - it has really helped me, and also I have studied Philosophy, which I loved.
    You are like the Wizard of Oz, Conscious Cuisine!!!!

I'm doing rebirthing breathwork at the moment to help with an anxiety issue. It's the only alternative therapy I've tried. The aim is to undo negative thought patterns and beliefs by taking deep, continuous breaths with no gap between the inhale and exhale. I suppose it's a bit like meditation. Each breath cycle lasts about an hour. I've only had two sessions so far but I felt a lot calmer and happier on both occasions. We're supposed to take things deeper with each session so I can't judge how successful the therapy is yet.

Massage, had one Monday

I am an Aromatherapist, Reiki practictioner, Crystal therapist, New Earth teacher and White Time healer. And no, I don't usually charge for healing as most of my work is distant healing.

But I do love receiving reflexology and massage myself too.

Aurora x

Aurora

Default Vegan, but not pro alternative therapies?

Dear all,

I ask this on all forums I join, but usually get no replies. Anyone else vegan but not a believer in alternative and complementary therapies?

Cheers,

Ross-c

Default Re: Vegan but not pro-"alternative therapies"

Depends what you mean by alternative therapy I suppose

All that homeopothy lark for instance I think is a load of cack
    I bet Yoda was a vegan

Quote Cloudy
    Depends what you mean by alternative therapy I suppose

All that homeopothy lark for instance I think is a load of cack
    That is quite a statement. Please....substantiate??
    My turn of mind is so given to taking things in the absurd point of view that it breaks out in spite of me every now and then.

- Byron

Quote RossClement
    Dear all,

I ask this on all forums I join, but usually get no replies. Anyone else vegan but not a believer in alternative and complementary therapies?

Cheers,

Ross-c
    If you consider pumping drugs and chemicals into humans as "normal" and using diet and/or herbs to maintain health as "alternative," then I disagree and am not a believer in using medications to correct one's problems or the easy way out.
    utopiankitchen.wordpress.com

The problem with the definitions you're using is that things like herbs have been branded as "alternative", whereas really they're the most empirically tested over time...

Quote bittersweet
    The problem with the definitions you're using is that things like herbs have been branded as "alternative", whereas really they're the most empirically tested over time...
    I didn't start this thread to argue pro and con, which is what I fear this thread could easily turn into. But, like a lot of other indistinct definitions, I'm sure most people reading this will know what I mean.

Cheers,

Ross-c

Quote Artichoke47
    If you consider pumping drugs and chemicals into humans as "normal" and using diet and/or herbs to maintain health as "alternative," then I disagree and am not a believer in using medications to correct one's problems or the easy way out.
    ditto.

in regards to your question 'anyone else vegan but not a believer in alternative and complementary therapies?', i wouldn't say i was a believer in alternative and complementary therapies, because they are all different, and some probably work better than others, if at all. i think anything can have a positive effect on you if you want it to. i would also say to be open-minded and not be prejudice against anything that is labelled 'alternative', don't knock it till you've tried it. i'm agnostic.

ever been to westminster uni?
    please could you stop the noise? i'm trying to get some rest from all the unborn chicken voices in my head.

Quote bulletproof
    ditto.

in regards to your question 'anyone else vegan but not a believer in alternative and complementary therapies?', i wouldn't say i was a believer in alternative and complementary therapies, because they are all different, and some probably work better than others, if at all. i think anything can have a positive effect on you if you want it to. i would also say to be open-minded and not be prejudice against anything that is labelled 'alternative', don't knock it till you've tried it. i'm agnostic.

ever been to westminster uni?
    I've had people suggest being "open minded" with respect to complementary and alternative medicine before. I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean. Reading a book such as Bjorn Anderson's _Methodological Errors in Medical Research_ quickly reinforces how difficult it is to establish whether medical procedures, medicines, etc. work. The classic case being cough medicines which I grew up taking, and even had my own personal favourite brand which I believed worked best. Then someone does the research properly and what do you know, they don't work. I prefer not to take medicines of any sort unless there is good reason to do so. E.g. when I had a wisdom tooth out, I bought pain-killers, but ended up not taking them as the pain never got bad enough.

I'm at work at Westminster Uni at this very second. I'm not sure what the connection to this topic is.

Cheers,

Ross-c

I am a Complementary therapist

Quote RossClement
    I've had people suggest being "open minded" with respect to complementary and alternative medicine before. I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean.
    it means don't dismiss something (in this case the therapy) just because it isn't as mainstream or conventional (chemicals, drugs)

Quote RossClement
    I'm at work at Westminster Uni at this very second. I'm not sure what the connection to this topic is.
    just curious.
    please could you stop the noise? i'm trying to get some rest from all the unborn chicken voices in my head.

sugarmouse

it does depend on what you mean.i think alot but not all, of veganns prefer to live more 'naturaly' than normal..in many ways

intersting debate

I think that a good diet will sort out most problems, as most of the population die because of their diet.

Some alternative therapies are great and some are not but mnay seem to ignore why the problem occured in the first place - rather like conventional treatments.

prevention is alwasy better than the cure - which in my mind means eat what the body needs to heal itself.
    But just because something is alternative dosent mean its right or wrong.
    Just the same that just because something has the label vegan - dosent mean its good for our health.

I did have a major health problem sorted by a homeopath many years ago.
    she did tell me to leave all dairy products and drugs alone.
    considering I was told by conventional treatment I would be disabled for the rest of my life - I owe my homeopath alot.
    But the reason I got so ill was due to conventional treatment pumping me full of antibiotics etc until my immune system gave up.

I also saw a friend of mine loose her severe skin problems through the same homeopath but on looking back if she had changed her diet to a vegan one I bet she would have got a better result.

finally the "natural" tag is knackered too as many things are labeled so but many natural things arnt good for us either

best advice I have ever found is Dr Joe - and its free!
    http://www.alternativesouls.com/hh/drjrs.html

Gibby

This is quite a complicated question. I believe in avoiding conventional medicine except where it's absolutely necessary - when that is is obviously a matter of opinion though. I also believe in using diet, lifestyle and (some) herbs to promote health.

However, I'm sceptical about homeopathy and some other complementary therapies, even though I've tried some of them at various times.

Quote bulletproof
    it means don't dismiss something (in this case the therapy) just because it isn't as mainstream or conventional (chemicals, drugs)
    Ahh... Well in my case any medicine and a lot of other things that might go into my body such as artificial sweeteners are more or less guilty until proven innocent I don't object to something that isn't mainstream, but I do object to medicines being used where there isn't proper evidence that it works. This applies to both alternative and conventional medicines. I mentioned the book _Methodological Errors in Medical Research_ above. It's a real eye-opener. And BTW it covers published "conventional" medical research.

Cheers,

Ross-c

Default Re: Vegan - but not pro alternative therapies?

Quote RossClement
    Anyone else vegan but not a believer in alternative and complementary therapies?
    IMO, the best solution is always to remove the cause of a disease (whenever possible), and not only treat the symptoms. I'm also all for healing methods that does not involve chemicals, as long they actually work. I know of many cases where so called alternative therapies DO work, but I don't 'believe' in them. Do I count?

PS - some of the so called alternative therapies also seem to be focused on treating symptoms only - the pills the prescribe might be healthier, but they are still only symptom-treating pills.
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Default Re: Vegan - but not pro alternative therapies?

Depends on the alternative medicine in question. There is a great deal to be said in favour of herbalism, various strands of natropothy, acupuncture.. the list goes on. Personally though, I'm not really big on homeopathy itself. (I'm talking about homeopathy as the practice of giving minute amounts of a like substance.)

tails4wagging

Default Re: Vegan, but not pro alternative therapies?

I am happy to use both, as and when it is needed.

ConsciousCuisine

Quote Aurora
    I am a Complementary therapist
    ^^ Same here.
    So, to answer the OP, No.

Default Re: Vegan, but not pro alternative therapies?

I prefer to use natural remedies wherever possible. However, if I don't know of a natural remedy to cure my ailment - I will use a mainstream medication. For example, I threw my back out earlier this week and I honestly did not know of a natural therapy that I could use to help it. So I took a Robaxacet and iced it. Since being vegan, though, I haven't been that sick that I have needed to take any type of doctor-prescribed medication.

I would like to one day be at a point in my life where I could be knowledgeable and involved enough to be able to use natural or "alternative" therapies to prevent and cure any ailments.

Default Re: Alternative therapies

Quote ConsciousCuisine

For the record, I am a Master Herbalsit, Reiki Master, Licensed Holistic Health Practitioner and Nutritionist, Doula (Dona), Nationally Certified Massage Therapist, Certified Somatic Therapist, Hypnotherapist, Vegan (cooked) and Living and Raw Foods Chef and Organic Cleanse and Herbal Remedy Craftswoman amongst other things...I think that all makes it pretty clear how I feel about "Natural and Alternative" Therapies It is a HUGE part of who I am as a person and Professionally!
    Do you use homeopathy? I used to use it loads but all the ones in the shops seem to have lactose in. I really rely on my bach rescue remedies and also my homeopathic remedies such as sepia and nux vom and argent nit. Do you know if they come in liquid form? I just thought I'd ask if anyone knows...

ConsciousCuisine

Yes I do use homeopathy and am able to get liquid forms from companies such as HEEL as well as cream forms which have no lactose because, as you know, many have milk sugar.

Oooh thanksfor posting! Thats good to know. I was so disappointed that they ALL had lactose in them. I was looking round all the different companies and own brands and in the pill form they're all the same ingredients. Im going to have a look on the net and try and find some.

mango

I'm not too sure about the idea of 'therapy' itself. If we talk about alternative therapies, it's too close to the medical model of health where you just chug along until something goes wrong and then fix it. For me, health is an ongoing project that involves all aspects of myself. For example, I do chi kung every day. This makes me healthier. But I wouldn't call it a therapy. I think a lot of people in the consumer culture think of alternative therapies as just a different kind of pills from a different kind of doctor.

OK= here goes- I am taking a leap in faith that you all will be open to this since one has to have an open mind to be vegan! I read this whole thread and no one mentioned the one therapy that has helped my husband and I more than anything else. I am a nurse, Reiki Master, reflexologist, trigger point practiioner and massage therapist so I know what works. The best thing we have done is to start drinking our urine. Believe it or not it does work. My husband is bupolar/add- since he started to drink his urine he is completely off all medication for over a year and he was on 5 drugs. I have fibromyalgia and 5 sleep disorders- I am off almost all pain medications and do not need provigil anymore. We got a friend to drink his urine and his allergies are gone. AND= it is vegan. There are lots of websites for it. I would be interested in getting your feedback....

How on earth did you discover this? Can I have a look at these websites please?

Talking Re: Alternative therapies

Unfortunately, I haven't been a member of this forum long enough to figure out how to add a website yet. But if you put in a search for "urine therapy" you will find some. Thanks for answering so quickly- good luck....

LOL - you won't catch me drinking my own urine. I thought that was only something that happened in kinky German porno movies

I have heard of drinking urine. I thought it was a practice that was used only by certain segments of India though. At least I heard about it from an Indian friend. It is great that it works for you but the whole thing makes me a bit uneasy. I have a history of being squeamish though.

ConsciousCuisine

Quote theosof
    I am a nurse, Reiki Master, reflexologist, trigger point practiioner and massage therapist so I know what works.
    I am all those (except the nurse) and am also a nutritionist...I have to say, you won't catch me drinking urine! It's a waste product that LEAVES the body for a reason and I'm quite healthy without taking in what my body excretes, thanks I have read up on it and know many people who swear by this practice but it's not for me...I'm happy using other therapies

oldsilverhead

Due to a course of acupuncture and taking a high dose of arnica prior to a medical procedure(uterine fibroid embolisation) I had no need to use the morphine pump I was hooked up to even once which is unknown for that procedure expect for one other lady who followed the same pre op routine

oldsilverhead

Quote theosof
    The best thing we have done is to start drinking our urine. Believe it or not it does work.
    I have never heard of that! Wow, I'm open-minded to accept that this works and take your word for it, but I don't know that I'll ever try it!

Hypnotherapy works wonderfully for me! I have been fascinated with it since 8th grade and have always wanted to be trained, but the thorough training programs (not the day workshops) are quite pricy! I'll be ecstatic when I can finally afford the training
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

Yogini

Korn mentioned removing the cause of the disease as well as treating the symptom. I had great success with doing just that. I was severely depressed partly because my life wasn't going where I wanted to and because my family is toxic. So I took steps to bring my life in a better direction by enrolling in graduate school, which gave me a great excuse to move across country and leave my toxic family behind. These changes have made a world of difference in my life.

I treat the lingering symptoms with a self-designed program of diet, exercise, herbalism, and aromatherapy. I also tried acupuncture but it didn't seem to help. I take St. John's Wort, B-complex, and hempseed oil and use Yogi Teas for things like calming and inducing sleep. I treat anxiety with Bach's Rescue Remedy and Origins Peace of Mind On The Spot Relief. Aromatherapy can be used to relieve both depression and anxiety. Good oils for depression are rose and lavender. Lavender and bergamot help with anxiety. There are numerous other aromatherapy options that should be read about by anyone interested.

Oh, I have depression. It's on and off for no apparent reason (I have no "reason" to be depressed). I should get some lavender and rose essential oil. How would you take it? Spritz in the air with some water? Rub it in your skin? Burn it in a diffuser--and if so, how do you use a diffuser?
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Yogini

You can do all of the above. Aromatherapy works by either absorbing essential oil through the skin or by inhaling the aroma. But a lot of oils you shouldn't put directly on the skin without diluting them in a carrier such as almond oil or unscented lotion. I occasionally use Merry Hempsters Unscented Body Lotion. There are a lot of good books out there that discuss carriers and dilution. I think Valeri Gennari Cooksley is the author I read most often.

I use a simple lamp diffuser. You put a bit of water in the well, add a few drops of oil, then light the tea candle underneath. They're cheap and portable. But there are also lots of fancy electric and battery operated diffusers out there as well.

Good luck!

Thanks.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

I use lavender oil all the time. I just put a drop on both sides of my bed before I go to sleep, so that I can smell it, but so that it's not too strong. Then I close my eyes and imagine I'm lying in a lavender field
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden