Thread: Who Wouldn't Want to be Vegan After Seeing This?!

Limey

Thumbs down Who Wouldn't Want to be Vegan After Seeing This?!

The grossest thing. Ever.

The World’s Unhealthiest Burger?
    St. Louis Minor League Team Serves Up First 'Krispy Kreme Cheeseburger'
    St. Louis, June 3, 2006

(CBS) It could be the world's unhealthiest snack. The ultimate in fast-food indulgence is cooked up, not by a restaurant chain, but by a minor-league baseball club, reports CBS News correspondent Cynthia Bowers.

Despite having a charming ballpark just outside St. Louis, the Gateway Grizzlies will likely never be renowned for their brand of baseball — one step below Single-A ball.

But they're already famous at the concession stand. Or should that be infamous?

It's sweet like a doughnut, and then you've got the hamburger. You’ve read that right. It's a burger with cheese and bacon, sandwiched between a Krispy Kreme doughnut — a heart attack waiting to happen. A burger so perfect, they say, tampering is discouraged.

“You're ruining it! You're not supposed to put ketchup on it!” Bowers says to a diner.

“Well, I don't know. It's my first time,” he replies.

For a mere $4.50 it's breakfast, dinner, and a little dessert all in one. That it packs up to 1,000 calories — the donut alone has 10 grams of sugar — doesn't seem to faze diabetic diner Floyd Schuetz.

“Oh, I’ll have another one of these,” he says.

Nor does it faze three fans — two in their 80s — who passed up the peanuts and crackerjacks for this.

Asked if she was worried about the health ramifications, Betty Osborne says “No, not tonight. Tonight I'm living it up.”

After trying a bite — Bowers says she would normally never eat a burger like this, but she would make the sacrifice in the interest of journalistic integrity — she says it is better than she expected.

“I don’t know that I would do this again, but it’s pretty good,” says Bowers.

The Grizzlies say "cheesy" gimmicks like this are crucial to the team's bottom line.

“With minor league baseball we have to work extremely hard to get fans to come out here,” says the Grizzlies’ Jeff O’Neill.

Which begs the question — what's next?

“We were in the concession stand the other day trying to come up with 'Baseball's Best Pizza.' "

Let’s just hope it's not going to be be on a Krispy Kreme crust.

Cynthia Bowers ©MMVI, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.
    Not proud to be an American right now. Very proud to be vegan!

I can't believe people consume this disgusting mess of slop. And that's being polite!

Default Re: Who Wouldn't Want to be Vegan After Seeing This?!

That's worse than the deep-fried Twinkies they serve at our state fair.

Limey

Didn't help that I read/saw this right after I got done eating and had a full stomach. Ew. It almost came back up.

To me, the worst omni smell is fried chicken. They had it under the heat lamps next to the checkout lane at the grocery store tonight.

Limey

You've been vegan for 17 months and 6/7 days now. I've been vegan....like a full two weeks or something (after my little transitional phase) - these smells do not bother me yet. I wish they did.

it took a while for me. now I can smell the blood in the meat smell, and cheese smells like rotting. I was taken by surprise last week when a coworker was eating some crab rangoon, and I looked at it and thought "I used to love those things, and I wonder if I can make a vegan version?". It was my first sorta-craving of an omni product in a long time.

Limey

Crab rangoon!

Crab rangoon is bad now. Aye.

I just googled "vegan crab rangoon" and found that it is possible to do. Speaking of veganizing things, we'll have to make vegan smores whilest camping.

Limey

OMG, yes. Vegan s'mores! I love camping. S'mores are good with peanut butter, too. Yum.

Ok, we're playing musical chairs in like three threads right now.

I was just thinking of finding a fourth thread.

Good lord is that foul. I knew I shouldn't have clicked on the link to the picture.

Who would even want to invent something that unhealthy? It disgusts me that things like that are all done for profit while completely disregarding the health aspect. Shouldn't sports be trying to promote a healthy lifestyle? Ew.

Ewwwwwww! The horrible thing to think about is that that is their gimmick to draw crowds. People actually attend the event in order to eat one of those. I'm puzzled. Seriously, this has to make the top ten of most seemingly disgusting foods on the face of the planet.
    Shallow ideas can be assimilated; ideas that require people to re- organize their picture of the world provoke hostility.
    -James Gleick “Chaos”

What are smores?
    Purple Monkey! :)

Quote Purple Monkey
    What are smores?
    Here's a link http://www.geocities.com/suarezgfam/Smores.html. But don't today's marshmallows have gelatin in it? And that's not vegan right? And as for that burger, ugh! Before you know it those people would have invented the grease and cheese drink, all grease and cheese. I need to go drink some water now because the grease drink idea just made me sick.

Limey

You can buy vegan marshmallows! Yum!

that is the most disgusting thing ever.

over here (in the uk), there are some student pubs, which serve a cake burger. but its not as gross as this, cos its not a burger AND a cake. its basically a cake sandwhiched in a burger bun - thats not as bad!

but still, ew.

How utterly disgusting, even if I was an omni that would make me vomit!
    Silent but deadly :p

Is a Krispie Kreme a donut? Or is a Krispie Kreme donut a donut that is pertaining to a Krispie Kreme?

Limey

Krispy Kreme is a chain donut store and they make a variety of donuts. Probably their most popular, and the one used on this disgusting sandwich, would be their glazed donut. (Plain donut with glaze). They're so gross. Back when I did eat donuts every once in awhile, I much preferred Dunkin' Donuts, for obvious reasons.

OMG! That makes me want to throw up just reading about it!

doughnuts rock! Slightly strange idea to eat it with a burger, but I really don't think it would have sent me vegan in the same way that learning logical reasons to be vegan did.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock