Thread: Hemp Milk

Default Hemp Milk

http://www.ethicaljuicers.co.uk/milkmaking.php

These guys sell soy and hemp milk making devices. They are designed for euro electricity so if you are in the western hemisphere you'll need some sort of convertor. They said they sell live (unsterilized) seeds to the UK at least. I know there are other european countries where unsterilized hemp seeds are legal but I did not inquire about those. I have a small supply of live hemp seed thanks to an anonyous hemp farmer here in canada and I have been making live sprouted hemp milk since 1999. It's a great energy boost full of highly digestible essential fatty acids and amino acids and other goodies. There's some figures here: http://www.hanfmilch.at/f-inhalt.htm

You can make it with a regular blender and some sort of sieve or cheesecloth, no need for the special machine, but I'd imagine the machine makes it that much easier. I'll post some pics and a demo when I get a chance.

Limey

Default Re: Hemp Milk

I had no idea there was hemp milk. Hmm, interesting. Thanks for posting these links, Conrad.

Can't say I've ever given thought to making my own soy milk. I really enjoy Silk.

I wasn't aware of hemp milk either. Conrad, how does the flavor compare to soy?

Chocolate Silk is vegan crack. so is the silk chai when I can find it.

Is unsterilized hemp illegal in Canada?
    Peace, love, and happiness.

it has a nutty taste, some describe it as earthy...
    it's great highly nutritious stuff
    I'll post an exposé soon
    generally one needs a license or multiple licenses to acquire unsterilized hempseed in Canada, more info here

Seems complicated.

well yes unfortunately that is how the government works, it's main function is to create paperwork
    some friends in bc bought a pallet of hempseed a few years ago directly from a farmer and they were selling to anyone who so desired, but unfortuantely that source has dried up, I pray that they will find another compassionate farmer again one day soon

Could I use the hemp seeds I get in the health food store? I really don't feel comfortable with illegal substances in my possesion (and I have no where to get it, anyway).

Hmmm I don't know. I make the milk by soaking them overnight in lots of water. About 1 cup of seeds to 1 gallon water (which causes germination to begin and makes the seeds swell and whiten on the inside) Then rinse the seeds well and blend 1 cup of seeds to 1 liter water, and then strain it. Worth a shot I guess... There is also the dehulled hempseed which can be gotten at choices, capers, etc. and can be soaked for a few hours then blended (no straining) but it is not as nice imho, and costly, but worth a go if you are curious. Try about 1/2 cup of dehulled seeds per liter of water. Maple syrup and vanilla are great additions for flavour. Hemp milk makes great smoothies with frozen bananas and blueberries .

Thanks.

i made hemp milk once and it was disgusting.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

I´ve found a lot of informations about hemp milk at www.hempmilk.org.