Thread: Celtic Sea Salt

Default Celtic Sea Salt

Not sure if this belongs in the food or health section but here it is anyways.

Celtic Sea Salt is the best form of salt that is available. It contains a full spectrum of 84 minerals (1235+ living binary compounds) in a balanced ratio, that which is found in the sea. It is traditionally made through evaporation in clay beds. It should be slightly moist and not pure white but more like an off white or slightly grey colour. Pure white sea salt is not the same, it has been baked and processed to give it the nice look. It is also missing some of the binary waters (type of binary compound) as they evaporate in the heat processing, as well as other gas based binary compounds. These minerals and binary compounds are essential for whole-listic living. The other land based salts that are now in vogue such as Redmond Salt, Bamboo Salt or Himalayan Pink salt are unbalanced forms of salt that have been subjected to aeons of leaching and chemical interactions and sometimes even contain radioactive elements as they are a mined salt. I have data to back up my claims. The only healthy salts come from the sea. Salt has gotten a bad rap due to the massive overuse of white man's salt (sodium chloride) but real salt from the ocean is totally health promoting and can be safely consumed in quantites up to 2-3 tablespoons per day. Consuming say 1 tablespoon of celtic sea salt in a liter of pure water per day will increase the blood salinity level and make it harder for parasites, bugs, virii, worms, etc. to exist in the body. Increasing the blood salinity level will cause the parasites to dry up. Elevated celtic sea salt consumption will ensure that all minerals are available to the body, and will assist in cleansing regimens. There is an excellent brand of sea salt available at trader joes and through mail order in the USA by the name of DeSouzas.

Default Re: Celtic Sea Salt

Thanks, I was unaware that the sea salt I have is inferior. I'll look for that stuff next time I'm at Trader Joe's.

Are they still iodized?
    Peace, love, and happiness.

I wonder if celtic salt is better for those of us with dehydration problems??? Sounds like it would really be helpful.

Yes if you consume table salt your body will demand water to help flush it out, the body has no purpose for table salt. Whereas real sea salt will go to the core of each cell, and help to rebuild new cells.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is that salt (sodium chloride) is the molecule being discussed whether it comes from the sea, the land (salt mines), lakes or naturally occurring in food.

In the human body, sodium and chloride are both necessary, as well as potassium (and a bunch of other electrolytes). Sodium chloride is a molecule that is about 60% chloride and 40% sodium. The crystals of sodium chloride can have different forms but the molecules are cube form at high magnification. (this is one reason why sea salt and other natural salts clump together).

On the cellular level, the sodium-potassium pump is responsible for water flow into and out of the cell. That is why getting enough potassium in your diet is important. Outside of the cells, your kidneys have a very intricate system of regulating sodium levels which include the use of other electrolytes and hormones. Sodium can also be stored in bone tissue and other tissue.

We can't see (via blood tests) what is happening inside cells or bones but we do know that your kidneys will regulate the amount of sodium (salinity) in your blood (extracellular fluid) to maintain a constant level. If your sodium-potassium pumps are working correctly in your cells then your cells should also have a steady state of sodium as well.

For thousands of years humans have survived with minimal amounts (or none) of sea salt since not all humans had access to the sea. Our oceans and lands are now contaminated the world over, so there is the possibility of getting contaminated sea or land salt.

I stongly urge anyone with high blood or kidney problems to refrain from consuming a tablespoon of sea salt (or any salt, i.e. sodium chloride) with any amount of water (although you should get a minimum of 500 mg sodium per day). Also, if you plan to increase your sodium intake please balance it with a higher intake of potassium. And please do not assume that you don't have high blood pressure because you are young or feel fine. I "discover" high blood pressure in young, otherwise healthy patients often.

If the salinity (sodium level) of your blood were to increase, then water molecules would be pulled from your body's cells as well as the cells of parasites,etc. This would make you feel extremely sick as your cells would not be able to function properly. So you really cannot increase the salinity of your blood for any length of time if you have properly functioning kidneys.

I use celtic sea salt myself because I hope that the form of iodine in it is healthier than typical table salt, and also because it doesn't have the anti-caking chemicals added to it. But I have found no evidence that the sodium chloride in sea salts act any differently than the sodium chloride in land salts once you ingest them. Celtic sea salts are a great product but I don't believe they possess all the health benefits attributed to them, especially the ones that are physiologically not possible.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Limey

I have to consume more salt due to dehydration issues, and so far I just go with what salt I like - I usually do a combo of regular salt and Lite Salt since it has more potassium. Other than that, I'm clueless.

Quote DianeVegan
    Please correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is that salt (sodium chloride) is the molecule being discussed whether it comes from the sea, the land (salt mines), lakes or naturally occurring in food.
    Yes but the problem is that there is more to real live salt than a simple NaCl molecule, though the salt mafia would have you believe that iodized table salt is the evolution of our species, that somehow we went from thousands of years of traditional salt making practices and now we use a salt that is missing 1234+ binary compounds and 82 minerals.

In the human body, sodium and chloride are both necessary, as well as potassium (and a bunch of other electrolytes). Sodium chloride is a molecule that is about 60% chloride and 40% sodium. The crystals of sodium chloride can have different forms but the molecules are cube form at high magnification. (this is one reason why sea salt and other natural salts clump together).

On the cellular level, the sodium-potassium pump is responsible for water flow into and out of the cell. That is why getting enough potassium in your diet is important. Outside of the cells, your kidneys have a very intricate system of regulating sodium levels which include the use of other electrolytes and hormones. Sodium can also be stored in bone tissue and other tissue.
    It's called osmoregulation. Is it possible that excess sodium is easily removed from the body by properly functioning kidneys, while one is consuming a healthy diet?

We can't see (via blood tests) what is happening inside cells or bones but we do know that your kidneys will regulate the amount of sodium (salinity) in your blood (extracellular fluid) to maintain a constant level. If your sodium-potassium pumps are working correctly in your cells then your cells should also have a steady state of sodium as well.
    How does the body re-move excess potassium without drawing calcium from the skeletal system?

For thousands of years humans have survived with minimal amounts (or none) of sea salt since not all humans had access to the sea. Our oceans and lands are now contaminated the world over, so there is the possibility of getting contaminated sea or land salt.
    Maybe I am wrong but I always thought that through history the bulk of humans (% wise) have lived by the ocean, at least those who didn't want to spend their waking hours chasing the herd for food.

I stongly urge anyone with high blood or kidney problems to refrain from consuming a tablespoon of sea salt (or any salt, i.e. sodium chloride) with any amount of water (although you should get a minimum of 500 mg sodium per day). Also, if you plan to increase your sodium intake please balance it with a higher intake of potassium. And please do not assume that you don't have high blood pressure because you are young or feel fine. I "discover" high blood pressure in young, otherwise healthy patients often.
    Maybe it is because they are consuming white man's salt, I dunno?
    I consume massive amounts of celtic sea salt and my blood pressure is at the low end. Is it possible that replacing dead sodium chloride in the diet with a living full spectrum mineral source such as Celtic sea salt with 84 minerals and 1235+ binary compounds will help clean the general filth from the body that may be causing the kidney problems in the first place?

If the salinity (sodium level) of your blood were to increase, then water molecules would be pulled from your body's cells as well as the cells of parasites,etc. This would make you feel extremely sick as your cells would not be able to function properly. So you really cannot increase the salinity of your blood for any length of time if you have properly functioning kidneys.
    If the body is a mess to begin with yes, then symptoms of detox are generally the feeling of one being extremely sick, at least that's what I tend to think and feel. You have stated above that "We can't see (via blood tests) what is happening inside cells or bones but we do know that your kidneys will regulate the amount of sodium (salinity) in your blood (extracellular fluid) to maintain a constant level." Question: If one were to say 'consume potassium salts' such as potassium chloride would they draw sodium from the cells and cause osmotic release? What would be the consequences of that if that were such a possibility?

I once had a wild and crazy theory that the earth is a macroscopic representation of the human body since the earth is covered with about 70% water, while the human body is about 70% water. That the sea of the earth is basically the same as liquid that makes up our body and that our blood vessels are like the tributaries that flow about the earth moving nutrients and minerals to where they were needed.

I use celtic sea salt myself because I hope that the form of iodine in it is healthier than typical table salt, and also because it doesn't have the anti-caking chemicals added to it. But I have found no evidence that the sodium chloride in sea salts act any differently than the sodium chloride in land salts once you ingest them. Celtic sea salts are a great product but I don't believe they possess all the health benefits attributed to them, especially the ones that are physiologically not possible.
    The history of sodium chloride is a very short one and already we have seen massive health problems, what's up with that? Nice talking with you Dianne I am no doctor but I am curious about health and always listening to the wisdom of the elders. Thank you.

Conrad, I realize that you are not a doctor but I certainly have enjoyed your posts all the same. And modern medicine certainly does not have all the answers. However, this is a public forum so we all have the responsibility, IMO, to question and challenge information. I have certainly learned a lot from the posts on this forum and have opened my mind to alternatives that I had not considered before. But I will always challenge what I believe to be incorrect, especially as it relates to physiology. I realize that if you have not studied human physiology then it is impossible to grasp some concepts (and this has nothing to do with intelligence level, it's just that some things are too complex to understand from a few hundred typed words). So while I believe our modern production of salt (sodium chloride) is not healthy it's more related to the imbalance of other minerals, which are retained in sea salt. However, that does not change the fact that salt is still sodium chloride and your body needs a balance of other minerals in order to properly regulate sodium - and it especially needs enough potassium.

It is far too complicated to go into the details of how your kidneys regulate fluid, sodium, potassium, calcium, phospate by autoregulation, neural regulation and endocrine regulation. However, the kidneys will deal with excess sodium by excreting more potassium and calcium. So an increase in sodium intake should definitely include an increase in potassium intake.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Thanks for the info Dianne
    I am starting to grow wheatgrass with celtic sea salt so the grass will filter out the sodium but uptake all the minerals so perhaps I can lower my bulk celtic sea salt intake when I am consuming wheatgrass juice....updates later.