Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: What are your favorite fruits?

Default Re: What's your favorite fruit?

Quote violet7 View Post
    ooooh, it's so hard to decide! i love fruit:P ok let's say cherries
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

Default Re: What are your favorite fruits?

Quote patientia View Post
    Blueberries, raspberries, dewberries, apples, bananas, avocados, strawberries...
    I've never had a dewberry! I love blueberries.
    Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion". The "X" makes it sound cool.

patientia

They are like blackberries, but much much tastier. We called them blackberries, but when I first tried commercial blackberries, I was disappointed.

Quote sandra View Post
    I've never had star apples colleengirl, I just googled them and they look nice. I think I'll look out for them today when I'm shopping.
    Hello Sandra, star apples are very delicious when it's ripe according to my mom it can be very purple.
    Happy eating

Hi Colleen, I didn't have any luck finding them yesterday..........I rushed around the fruit section looking for little round purple fruit, but there weren't any!

I won't give up though and if I find any I'll let you know.

Expenisve and possibly not very PC as they are not organic and imported from Holland, but they have got some interesting white strawberries (called pineberries I think) in Waitrose at the moment. I think they are meant to be the antecedent of today's strawberries and they have a very intense strawberry-y taste, so perhaps worth a try, or at least a sniff, if anyone's in Waitrose.

They sound intriguing Harpy!

(We don't have Waitrose over here though )

Maybe if they're popular other retailers will have them in future. I won't offer to send you some because they were a bit on the squishy side already by the time I ate them. There's a picture here http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...berry-waitrose but I think it's a bit nicer than they claim (though nothing like pineapple, I concede)

Quote patientia View Post
    They are like blackberries, but much much tastier. We called them blackberries, but when I first tried commercial blackberries, I was disappointed.
    They sound good.

Think I'm going to get myself to the Waitrose in Abingdon to try some pineberries. I've yet to meet a berry I don't like.
    Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion". The "X" makes it sound cool.

Quote sandra View Post
    I won't give up though and if I find any I'll let you know.
    OKay then Sandra. Hope you find one soon

They do have star apples here but I think they're normally called "star fruit" - haven't bought one for a while and must admit I'd sort of forgotten about them but I think they're still around.

Only trouble with these sorts of things (apart from air miles etc) is that they're probably not half as nice when they reach us as when they're freshly picked. I had a dragon fruit the other day and thought that was pretty insipid, despite its flamboyant appearance - but I expect they're better fresh too?

It appears star apples and star fruit are different things. I thought they were the same too, but Google disagreed with me.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysophyllum_cainito
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carambola

That's interesting Enchantress - there are one or two websites that say they're the same e.g.
    http://www.foodreference.com/html/art-star-fruit.html but the chrysophyllum certainly looks completely different. I don't think I've seen one of those over here.

There's also this http://www.flickr.com/photos/santos/110742807/ which I assume shows both

Pawpaw's are by far my favorite fruit. They taste like a banana, pineapple custard with maybe a touch of mango and look kind of like a small papaya. They are hard to find for some reason, even though they are supposed to be growing wild throughout the united states, which is how I found out about them. My grandfather found a group of them growing on his property in Kentucky when I was there.

But, other than that I really like blueberries.
    Veganism is the application of the abolitionist principle to the life of the individual. It is not an option; it is essential. — Gary Francione

Quote Juice View Post
    I like melons.

But strawberries are my favorite.
    Have you had these together? Mmmm! usually have these two as breakfast! Though do love peaches too!

I love raspberries but the one fruit I love the most is cherimoya, too bad they are only in season for two months.

Wow Oveeja- that looks amazing! I've never even heard of it.

There's loads here I've never tried- persimmons, dewberries, pawpaws- must keep an eye out.

My favourite fruit is passion fruit- they are so delicious. And I can tan them at a rate of noughts- hee!

Does it have to be favourite for eating out of hand? If not I'd go for lemon, because it's so useful for drinks, cooking, smells nice and makes a great sorbet
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Yes lemons are lovely. I've read there are lemons so sweet you can eat them like an orange, from Sicily I think. Have been to Sicily several times and not had one, though!

Wow, I would for sure have to say bananas and apples (honeycrisp apples are amazing)

They are sweeter than bananas and you can even eat the peel from how soft they are.

mm persimmons. i have two in the bowl ripening up for me yom.
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

leedsveg

Bananas

lv

I like oranges, myself... Just wish it didn't take so much time to peel. Being lazy, that's kind of a hassle

Tomatoes!

Okay, not really. Watermelon! By far it is definitely watermelon. It fact that is my favorite food of all types! Mmm.. Watermelon....
    "There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle." -Robert Alden

I could never choose just one..
    So I'll say, watermelon, mango, pineapple (allthough it makes my mouth bleed), strawberries and raspberries
    "Life is life – whether in a cat, or dog or man. The idea of difference is a human conception for man’s own advantage."

I guess I also love all fruits, especially tropical ones!

Persimmons (currently widely available in Europe), Mangoes, Durian, but my absolute favourite is called the sugar apple (Annona squamosa) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar-apple

It looks like this and is an incredible fruit with a taste that is really hard to describe:

... and I am extremely lucky, as I ate one just yesterday!!!! Not easy, but my family just returned from a holiday in Taiwan and my 6-year old brought two on the plane, and we shared one yesterday. I am a lucky father.

... as far as European fruit is concerned, guess I'm partial to pears. Could eat them all day (actually, I do that at the office).

Best regards,
    Andy

*runs in, shouts SHARON FRUIT! runs out again*

Just to avoid confusion, persimmon and sharon fruit (two names mentioned in this thread) are the same thing.
    See more at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persimmon

Best regards,
    Andy

smart thinking andy_t.

where you thinking anyone would be confused?

leedsveg

The worst fruit to eat if not prepared properly, has to be the sabra/prickly pear, from the cactus plant. It's not a bad tasting fruit but unless you totally remove all the hair like spines, they stick into you mouth, lips, hands and are very difficult to extract. Anybody else had a bad experience?

Leedsveg

Ouch, no - I've never dared to buy those though I think I once had a granita (sort of sorbet) made from them. Are they hard to peel then?

leedsveg

Quote harpy View Post
    Ouch, no - I've never dared to buy those though I think I once had a granita (sort of sorbet) made from them. Are they hard to peel then?
    I think the problem was caused by trying to peel and eat in situ, while crossing into the Golan Heights. We beat them with a stick but the spines were not fully removed. If we'd bought them at a market, I'm sure they would have been fully de-spined.

Leedsveg

Quote leedsveg View Post
    I think the problem was caused by trying to peel and eat in situ, while crossing into the Golan Heights. We beat them with a stick but the spines were not fully removed. If we'd bought them at a market, I'm sure they would have been fully de-spined.
    Oh, it was a pick-yer-own then? Very resourceful of you to eat them at all.

Andy, I've had something that looked like that sugar-apple but was a custard-apple (I think - am a bit confused after reading the various Wikipedia articles) which seems to be a relative of that one. Have you had both?

leedsveg

Quote harpy View Post
    Oh, it was a pick-yer-own then? Very resourceful of you to eat them at all.
    Nobody else around. Looking back, maybe my Finnish friend, Pertti and I, should have given more thought to the possibility of stepping on a mine.

Lv

That would have taken your minds off the cactus spines, at least.

Yellow kiwi *swoon*

Talking of custard/sugar apples, there's a tree near my house that sheds "fruit" every year; they're round and range from the size of a tennis ball to a small grapefruit.
    They're the colour of tennis balls too - bright green/yellow, and hard, with a scaly appearance.
    Any ideas, anyone?

ETA: Just found it... an Osage-orange! Who'd have thought it??

Yum! Yellow kiwi! I haven't had one in ages. I used to eat 2 kiwis every day a few years back and a big plate of kale for lunch. My skin was clearer than a baby's. Should get back to that!

Currently, I am loving....
    Bananas, frozen blueberries (mixed into soy yogurt or cereal), mejdool dates, oranges, and dried cranberries.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Quote harpy View Post
    Andy, I've had something that looked like that sugar-apple but was a custard-apple (I think - am a bit confused after reading the various Wikipedia articles) which seems to be a relative of that one. Have you had both?
    Indeed, the custard apple (Annona reticulata) also seems to be a relative of this fruit I love very much (Annona squamosa ).
    In the meantime, I also found in a local supermarket Cherimoya fruits (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annona_cherimola) that are also quite similar (same family).

I tried one (that was fresh and green) and was not overwhelmed. However, when I remembered what I know about the sugar apple (you have to wait until it is ripe) and tried a second one, this time looking black, ugly and nearly rotten, that one turned out to be exactly as it should be - delicious, sweet and fragrant, and very close to the sugar apple.

So I am now a very happy camper that I can get this fruit in supermarkets in Germany (not always, but sometimes).

Anybody who has not tried yet, please give it a try...

Best regards,
    Andy

Not having a sweet tooth, I would say cherries, the sharper apples and cranberries (in juice form and naturally sweetened with grape juice). Tried blueberries once on account of their supposed wonder status - found them tasteless.
    "Nostalgia is not what it used to be"

I'm very much into eating oranges at the moment, I'm eating 4-5 a day. I'm pregnant and can only think of oranges, even dream about it. It's weird because normally I don't eat them plain, every now and then I mix them through smoothies, but now I'm actually dreaming about eating them as well! I don't think I have a vitamin C deficiency, but they have never tasted better either!

I've recently discovered that I love mangoes! I'm not sure what it was that put me off them before, I thought they were too difficult to eat or something, but they're my new favourite. So tasty and smooth, sweet with just the edge of tartness!
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

I like mangoes too - I do find it slightly difficult to get them at the right moment, when they're juicy but not actually rotten. The ones they have in Asian grocers seem a bit easier from that point of view, I don't know whether they're transported better than the supermarket ones or whether it's just that the shopkeepers are better at picking them best ones.

I'm lucky to live close to Leicester Market, which has several stalls selling mangoes at the moment, three for a quid usually. I can't afford the supermarket ones unless they're reduced!

I've recently re-discovered cherries! They are fascinating, tasty little things!

You are lucky, twinkle - I'm sure the market ones are better though I do like the fact that the supermarkets sometimes have fairtrade ones. We have had the odd one turn up in our organic veg box too.

I go through phases. Right now I'm eating a ton of bananas. I love cherries, nectarines, some apples, and oranges. Quality definitely decreases in the winter. I need to move back to California...
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott