Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Teetotal, no alcohol - support

Default Re: Teetotal, no alcohol - support

I've given up again. I have never been a 'problem drinker' but I used to drink almost ever night, and hubby as I would get through a bottle of wine between us almost every night and I pretty much always went to bed drunk. I didn't like this, so one lent I gave up, got out of the habit and never went back to drinking as much.

Normally I can drink a glass of wine and not want more... I didn't used to feel this way so I think that's progress. However, I'm now totally given up again as we are planning on trying for a baby in the next few months, and since I have a few health probs I want as much going in my favour as possible.

My Dad drinks more than is good for him..... not in a roaring drunk every night, but he gets through about a bottle of wine every night. My sister is exactly the same. I worry about what both of them are doing to themselves.
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

Intersting web site about alcohol issues and some practical advice about reducing or giving up ...

http://rethinkingdrinking.niaaa.nih.gov/

Take every moment / every hour / every day and visit www.rational.org. It helps. Become a watcher of your thoughts. Don't react. Everything "shall PASS".This applies to our thinking pattern. Any thoughts shall arise and subside. This too shall pass. keep this a your repeated affirmations. We have something called Beast Brain working 24/7 .Drinking in moderation sounds encouraging for the beast brain and it induces to start drinking., Take any new activity during urge to drink. Even running till you become tired makes the urge weak. Keep filling your stomach during urge with liquid diet. " Law Of Replacement". Drink very similar tasting liquid and tell your beast brain that you are enjoying this drink. Don't offend your beast brain. Tame and you will enjoy life. God Bless ALL. - BALAJI - INDIA - mvbaalajisundar@gmail.com

Quote Antonia View Post
    I've recently made the decision to stop drinking alcohol. Support is lacking amongst friends etc. I can't even find any good articles or books. Books seem to be about how to give up drink if you're an alcoholic. Articles seem to recommend drinking in moderation.

I am gradually refining my lifestyle and diet and want to be the best person that I can, which includes doing the best I can for my health and spirituality.

I would love to hear from any other non-drinkers about their experiences, any advice they might have and any suggestions for where to look for more information, particularly about the negative effects of alcohol.