Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegan food for celebrations

Default Re: Vegan Food for Christmas and Other Celebrations

I'm going to my parents' house for Thanksgiving. I won't go away hungry because I'll have Tofurky (including gravy and dressing from the same company), collards, black eyed peas, cuke and dill salad, corn, and dessert (I'm bringing dessert). The only bad thing is that they're going to have ham AND turkey I just don't get why they think they need to have two dead animals--usually they just have turkey at Thanksgiving and ham at christmas--it's almost like my sister-in-law and brother are trying to "rub it in" that meat is the "main" food for them. (Not to mention my mom shouldn't be eating pork after her heart problems!)
    When you are guided by compassion and loving-kindness, you are able to look deeply into the heart of reality and see the truth.--Thich Nhat Hanh

Default Re: tofurkey or the unturkey?

Yes, the Whole Foods is in Greenwich. But I found an Unturkey at a local organic store in Fairfield! We are having an official taste test this week between the Tofurkey and the Unturkey.

Stay tuned.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

You guys are sooo lucky with your Whole Foods. I'm insanely jealous because we don't have anything like that here.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Tigerlilly, we could always open our borders and let our mass consumerism flow over. Of course you'd have to take the bad with the good.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Alright, here are the results of the taste test:

The Tofurkey is cheaper with better gravy. The texture is similar to a tofu dog or lunch "meat" and has a nice taste (as I stated before, similar to a low sodium "turkey roll" from my omni days). The stuffing is nice, with rice and bread. The shape is oblong, like a short, fat sausage.

The Unturkey is more expensive and eerily similar in shape and appearance to a real turkey breast. It is covered with a soybean derived "skin" that is also eerily similar to the real thing. The "meat" is chewy and flavored with traditional poultry seasonings - it's all wheat gluten whereas the tofurkey is wheat and soy. The stuffing is okay (we had some homemade as well so it didn't make much of an impression on me). The gravy was not good according to all who tried it. Again, we had some homemade gravy so it was up against steep competition.

Would I buy either again? Only if my family requested one.

my taste test results? the tofurkey was pretty good. i would have it again. i skipped the unturkey. i also made the nut loaf.....which i have re-named the 'knock me over with an onion' loaf. oh my was it oniony. i would make it agian with about half of the onion and more bread crumbs.
    "The fact that man knows right from wrong proves
    his intellectual superiority to the other creatures;
    but the fact that he can do wrong proves
    his moral inferiority to any creatures that cannot"

i remember that one year i had tofurkey and really didn't like it, but then again, it could be becuase i used to think of it as a "meat replacement" and not it's own thing, but still, i decided to make my own thing this year. i made a tofu turkey, and i must say it was a big hit, even with the omnis, and it was fun to make! so that's my winner (the price was probably better than the prepared one anyway )
    Peace Love Surf.

nakaniNumen

Default What did everyone eat for Thanksgiving?

Pumpkin Pie - delicious!!! I've made this twice, once for my stoner friends (who .. loved it!! ) and for Thanksgiving this year
    Garlicky Mashed Potatoes - this was damn good too, i added scallions for taste and looks, I really recommend the scallions
    Atichoke Dip - This was a hit with everyone -- I thought it was "OK" I saw a suggestion on vegweb to use spinach and that sounds fuckin tasty so I think I'll be tryin this one again under revised form
    Apple Stuffed Acorn Squash - this one wasn't as good as I expected it to be. Next time I'm going to try it with pecans. I did learn something from this though, little apple slices mixed with brown sugar is a TASTYYYYYYYYYYY vegan snack!!!! The extra apple slices not used in the dish were devoured quite quickly while sitting on the coffee table :P

All in all, a REALLY tasty Thanksgiving and I'm glad that I found out I'm a good cook And DAMN it was a pleasant departure from dorm-microwaved food

What did everyone else make / eat for Thanksgiving? How was it?
    Last edited by flutterby; Nov 26th, 2005 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Merged with existing similar topic.

Default Re: What did everyone eat for Thanksgiving?

I invited some friends over for dinner.The food items were not Thanksgiving related, but we still enjoyed it.

Spanish rice

A yummy casserole made with different types of mushrooms, tomatoes, small sweet peppers, Boca German bratwurst, red wine, onion, garlic, and lots of spicy chili peppers!

Persian cucumber salad

Mixed green salad with herbs.

Dessert - Vegan chocolate ice cream.
    "Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends". ~ George Bernhard Shaw.

Seaside

My stepmom made celery root soup, peas with braised butter lettuce, Tuscan white beans, and roasted broccoli, cauliflower, and brussels sprouts. I made smoky polenta with sweet corn, chestnut and wild rice stuffing, cranberry sauce, and mushroom gravy which I put on a store-bought Field Roast from Whole Foods Markets. I am the only vegan in the family, so the potatoes were not vegan, and neither was the turkey , but my Dad actually ate Boca Burgers instead of turkey!!! The desert wasn't vegan either, so I bought a tiny vegan pumpkin tart which I topped with Hip Whip.

I am very thankful that although my family are not vegan, they are happy to make and share vegan dishes, and never give me a hard time for what I am.

Pad Thai. YUM!
    utopiankitchen.wordpress.com

Quote Got2Pups
    my taste test results? the tofurkey was pretty good. i would have it again. i skipped the unturkey. i also made the nut loaf.....which i have re-named the 'knock me over with an onion' loaf. oh my was it oniony. i would make it agian with about half of the onion and more bread crumbs.
    Yeah, the nut loaf could be pretty oniony (I cut it to about 2/3 the onions and sauteed them first to make them sweeter). However, it was really good. I may try mixing the nuts next time - maybe some brazil nuts to cut the sweetness of the cashews.

Quote moochbabe
    i remember that one year i had tofurkey and really didn't like it, but then again, it could be becuase i used to think of it as a "meat replacement" and not it's own thing, but still, i decided to make my own thing this year. i made a tofu turkey, and i must say it was a big hit, even with the omnis, and it was fun to make! so that's my winner (the price was probably better than the prepared one anyway )
    Please tell me whose recipe you used. I was thinking of this for the next holiday.

I really want to try the nut roast.

Default Re: Vegan Food for Christmas and Other Celebrations, Thanksgiving etc

I made:
    Bread Stuffing
    Wild Rice Stuffing with Wild Mushrooms and Dried Pears
    Cranberry Sauce
    Spaghetti Squash with dried apples and raisins
    Sweet Potato Casserole with a Pecan Praline Topping
    Mashed Yukon Gold potatoes with Seitan Broth gravy
    Green Beans in a Mustard Sauce with carmelized shallots
    Stuffed Nut Loaf
    The Unturkey from Now and Zen
    Hazelnut and Rosemary Crusted Seitan
    Pumpkin Pie
    Pecan Pie
    Apple Pie

Please come to my house and take some leftovers home with you.

This was the last big Thanksgiving in our house so we sort of went all out. We're not piggies. Really.

princessemma

Quote Hemlock
    I just bought the Vegetarian Christmas magazine hoping there would be some good vegan recipes in there. There are a few + some that could possibly be adapted. However, the majority are cheese, egg, milk laden The celebrity chefs are unable to make anything that does not have half a pound of cheese in it.
    If I was a vegetarian I would be concerned about my fat intake from all that high fat cheese and eat vegan most of the week - not this lot *sigh*.
    I too was dissapointed. I intend to contact them and suggest a vegan section. It's worth a try.

There are so many choices for christmas dinner but I thinking I''ll have;

Parsnip and potato rosti with 'cream cheese' and cranberry for starter

Mushrooms and artichokes en croute for main course with all the trimmings, I might do some bacon wrapped sausages vegan style

And Strawberry tofu cheesecake for dessert or christmas pudding and soya cream

with coffee and mints

Oh no I'm hungry now!

Quote Hemlock
    I just bought the Vegetarian Christmas magazine hoping there would be some good vegan recipes in there. There are a few + some that could possibly be adapted. However, the majority are cheese, egg, milk laden The celebrity chefs are unable to make anything that does not have half a pound of cheese in it.
    If I was a vegetarian I would be concerned about my fat intake from all that high fat cheese and eat vegan most of the week - not this lot *sigh*.
    As I've said many times before, celebrety chefs are not proper chefs in the traditional sense of the word. Sure, they are professionally trained cooks, but they arn't masters of food, they are masters of recreating other people's recipes for mainstream media. I don't currently rate any of the top 5 UK celebrety chefs as knowing much more about food than the average chain restaurant chef. I remember seeing ready steady cook a few years ago (yes, I was a student so i watched daytime tv) and the 'chefs' weren't able to use cream in a dessert because the lady was lactose intollerant. The 'chef' was completely at a loss what to do, so decided to make jokes about it instead. I honestly pitied the guy for making a complete fool of himself on national tv, not respected him.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

This year I will be eating Christmas dinner with my parents and my granny (as I have done every Christmas bar one, I think), and our traditional dinner varies very little from one year to the next. I expect it to be something like:

Chestnut roast en croute (this is really walnut roast, but we switched the quantity to more chestnuts than walnuts because it was too rich)
    Chestnut stew (burning our fingers to peel the chestnuts is an annual tradition )
    Roast potatoes
    Roast parsnips, butternut squash, possibly other little squash like patty pans, depending on what my mother has grown on the allotment this year
    green beans, peas, carrots and brussels sprouts
    gravy
    homemade cranberry sauce
    christmas pudding (this may or may not be vegan - sometimes I get a seperate one, and sometimes they don't bother because I'm not a huge pud fan.)
    Mince pies

I'm looking forward to it

I don't know what xmas will bring this year. Last year I stayed with my parents and my ex, and we made christmas day completely vegan. Then, when we'd left and my sister visited my parents for new year they did an xmas day re-run! This year I'm staying with my sister on Jersey. I've no idea what I'll be able to acquire that's vegan on the island, and what I'mm be able to take on the plane with me (if anything)

I can't wait for Christmas. My mom makes the best stuffing ever. Mmmm.

Default Re: Vegan Food for Christmas and Other Celebrations, Thanksgiving etc

i just want to thank terra or foxytina for bring up that nut loaf recipe, i had a thanksgiving eve party for 15 people- it brough me great stress but my dinner was wonderful!

it was stressful because i never made made any of the main dishes before.

i made
    2 nut loaves
    a tofu loaf
    gravy
    mashed potatos and yams ( poeple thought it was fancy because it was orange)
    corn
    brussel sprouts
    almond bisuits
    chocolate chip cookies
    pumpkin pie (my first pie ever)

others brought
    a salad
    squash
    apple pie

i had a strange mix of people but everyone loved the dinner. i wiil have another vegan thanksgiving next year!!

Quote DianeVegan
    Please tell me whose recipe you used. I was thinking of this for the next holiday.
    i'll have to post it, i got it from veggie life, it's a really great magazine, i am glad i picked it up on a whim at the market one day even though there's a lot of steps, it's really a pretty easy recipe
    Peace Love Surf.

Is there a tofurky-like "ham"? I don't really feel I need a meat-substitute for the christmas meal, but I just started wondering if there was
    When you are guided by compassion and loving-kindness, you are able to look deeply into the heart of reality and see the truth.--Thich Nhat Hanh

I've never heard of one. However, this site has a "ham" recipe that another member has mentioned as being fairly good. The author has written several cookbooks and most of what I've tried has turned out well.

for christmas this year, this is what were having.

my step-mom is making the following vegan:

-brussel sprouts
    -turnips
    -yams
    -mashed potatoes

and ill also be bringing:

-nut roast
    -vegan gravy
    -maybe candied carrots

yummmmmmmmm.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

We will be going out for Christmas Day brunch this year. It will just be the 2 of us, as we have no other family in town to celebrate with.

There won't be any desserts I can eat at the restaurant, but that's okay - I have my vegan Christmas pudding and vegan custard I can have when I com home.

I will make dhal for christmas. My boyfriend's family is of Burmese descent, so their Christmas lunch involves (as well as a dead turkey carcass), curries and rice.
    They have Christmas pudding with custard for dessert, so I am bringing vegan vanilla custard (I hate Brandy custard anyway), with this vegan date and walnut mini cake. I wanted to bring a whole vegan stickydate cake, but the whole thing costs $70. Damn not being able to buy cheap vegan cake. A whole cake is generally at LEAST $40, but my mini date cake is $3.70

Quote Queen Medjool
    the whole thing costs $70. Damn not being able to buy cheap vegan cake
    $70 sounds like a lot to me, but I haven't the foggiest idea what the exchange rate is!! Anyway, maybe someone has a good recipe for sticky date cake? Then you could eat as many as you like.

Quote cherry
    maybe someone has a good recipe for sticky date cake? Then you could eat as many as you like.
    I tried this one a couple of years ago and got good results with it

Quote cherry
    $70 sounds like a lot to me, but I haven't the foggiest idea what the exchange rate is!! Anyway, maybe someone has a good recipe for sticky date cake? Then you could eat as many as you like.
    70.00 AUD Australia Dollars = 29.6373 GBP United Kingdom Pounds

Oh and I can't bake

Quote Mr Flibble
    I tried this one a couple of years ago and got good results with it

Good That's not quite what I was thinking of a sticky date cake being like though! I was imagining a big sticky ball of practically nothing but dates I think it's Queen Medjool. She has that effect

£29.63 (and a bit!) is pretty expensive for a cake! It would have to be a pretty special cake!

Quote Queen Medjool
    Oh and I can't bake
    You'll just have to find someone who can and convince them that making you cake is a good idea. They could make some money while they're at it

Quote twinkle
    This year I will be eating Christmas dinner with my parents and my granny (as I have done every Christmas bar one, I think), and our traditional dinner varies very little from one year to the next. I expect it to be something like:

Chestnut roast en croute (this is really walnut roast, but we switched the quantity to more chestnuts than walnuts because it was too rich)
    Chestnut stew (burning our fingers to peel the chestnuts is an annual tradition )
    Roast potatoes
    Roast parsnips, butternut squash, possibly other little squash like patty pans, depending on what my mother has grown on the allotment this year
    green beans, peas, carrots and brussels sprouts
    gravy
    homemade cranberry sauce
    christmas pudding (this may or may not be vegan - sometimes I get a seperate one, and sometimes they don't bother because I'm not a huge pud fan.)
    Mince pies

I'm looking forward to it
    Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmm, love the menu. Can I come round Twink??
    My turn of mind is so given to taking things in the absurd point of view that it breaks out in spite of me every now and then.

- Byron

I can't get enough MASH. I love love love it. Mustard mash, mash with gravy, vegan bangers and mash and gravy...then bubble and squeak the next day. It feels very festive so I'm eating it all the time! Yummmmmmmmmmmm. I'll probably be round a friends on Crimbo day, so im not sure what i'll get foodwise but as long as there's mash i don't think i'll care! Yummmm.

BTW, Anyone got a recipie for apple sauce, i'm thinking it'll go lovely with mash!!
    My turn of mind is so given to taking things in the absurd point of view that it breaks out in spite of me every now and then.

- Byron

Quote cherry

Good That's not quite what I was thinking of a sticky date cake being like though! I was imagining a big sticky ball of practically nothing but dates I think it's Queen Medjool. She has that effect

LOL

You might be able to find a sticky date cake recipe searching on raw recipe sites. They are always making cakes and puddings from dried fruits.

Quote catmogg
    BTW, Anyone got a recipie for apple sauce, i'm thinking it'll go lovely with mash!!
    Bramley apples, as many as you think you'll need, more apples then more apple sauce
    Unbleached Golden Granulated Sugar (or a mix of this and Demerara)
    Lemon Juice
    Dairy-free Spread
    Water

Peel the apples and cut them into pieces - the size of orange segments is okay or 1/2" cubes. Put each prepared apple into a bowl of water with lemon juice added to stop the apple(s) going brown.
    When the apples have been prepared transfer them into a saucepan - one with a glass lid helps with this recipe.
    Add a teaspoonful of dairy-free spread, some of the lemony water (not too much, don't drown them), a squeeze of lemon juice and some sugar (start with a teaspoonful for each apple). You can add some spices but we prefer it natural.
    Bring the contents of the pan up to a simmer - don't let it boil.
    Bramley apples cook quickly so when simmer heat has been reached give the pan a careful shake then turn off the heat and leave it to cool with the lid on. The apples will keep cooking and soften up nicely.
    When it's cooled, give everything a gentle stir and adjust the sugar to taste. Chill the apple sauce in the fridge for an hour before serving if you like.

Talking of accompaniments to the festive meal, Tesco have fresh cranberries on sale now. (Yes, I know, supermarkets and all that stuff, but there weren't any fresh cranberries for sale at our local market when I looked on Friday.) The cranberries have a good date on the box and should keep nicely in the fridge until 25 December. Cranberry sauce is very easy to make - there's usually a recipe on the bag or box so just follow this.

Does anyone have a tried and true side dish recipe? I need something that my whole family will love, and will make them say, "I'm so sorry I make fun of you for being vegan. This is the best thing I've ever tasted! I want to be vegan." Okay, that was unrealistic, but you get the idea. I'd really appreciate some replies because even if I find a recipe on the internet that sounds good, I have no idea how it will turn out. Thank you.

I have changed my mind - instead I am making this rich chocolate cake from PPK

Equipment:
    springform pans, 2 good sized bowls, a wisk, saucepan

Ingredients
    3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
    1 cup all purp unbleached flour
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    3/4 cup good cocoa powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 cup plain soymilk
    1/2 cup canola oil
    1 1/2 cups pure maple syrup
    1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
    2 teaspoons vanilla

Directions
    Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray a 9 inch springform pan with non stick cooking spray.

Sift together flours and baking powder and baking soda.

In a saucepan, heat the soymilk on low-medium heat. When it is slightly bubbling, add the cocoa powder and wisk well until it is dissolved. Remove from heat.

Combine the other liquid ingredients in a bowl and whisk well. Add the cocoa mixture and combine. Add the wet ingredients to the dry.

Pour batter into prepared pan, bake at 350 F for 25 minutes until a toothpick or butter knife comes out clean. Let cool completely and frost with your favorite frosting.

I am adding chocolate chips, and I am going to hashahar h'aole parve cocoa spread for the frosting.
    I am also going to make white chocolate and macadamia cookies from this recipe which I will also post:

Happy Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
    Ingredients (use vegan versions):
    2 cups unbleached flour
    2 tsps baking powder
    1/2 tsp.salt
    cinnamon to taste (optional)
    vegan chocolate or carob chips - put in as many as you like
    1 cup raw vegan sugar (turbinado #1, sucanat works too but sucks up a lot of the moisture)
    1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1/4 cup water
    Directions:
    VERY IMPORTANT-make sure all ingredients are at room temperature. It will work if they're not at room temp but it works MUCH better if they are. Also while your oven is pre- heating put the cookie sheets you are going to use on top of the oven so they get preheated as well. Preheat oven to 350.

In a large bowl mix flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon (if you choose). Add chips. Make a well in the center and set aside.

In a medium size bowl mix vegan sugar and oil. Mix it well. Add the vanilla and then add the water. Mix it well. Add the wet to the well in the dry. Mix it well but be careful not to overwork it. Add more chips if you need to. Spoon onto ungreased cookie sheets. Put them in the oven. Bake for 5 minutes and then flip and rotate the sheets.(top to bottom,and 180 degree rotation) Bake another 4 minutes and check them.

The cookies are done when they seem a little bit softer then you want them to be. They will harden up some as they cool. I usually go in two minute increments from here untill they get to where I like them.

Take them out when they are done and move them to wire cooling racks. If they split or come apart when you try to remove them let them sit on the pan for 2 minutes before transferring them to the racks.

These cookies have come a long way, lots of time and tasting spent on getting them to where they are now. Vegans and non vegans LOVE them. In the words of my 6 year old son- "Mom, you're the greatest because you know how to make the best cookies." Enjoy and let me know if you have questions. Sweet travels.

Serves: almost two dozen

Preparation time: 15 mins?-10 to 12 cooking time

One of my favorite sides is Asparagus w/Hazelnuts. It is really simple and easy, and not too many ingredients...big plus for me. Just clean and toss asparagus with some olive oil. Arrange on a cookie sheet, grate some pepper on top, sprinkle with salt (or not) and throw in the oven for about 10 minutes or until done enough to suit you. (I like my veggies with some crunch left in them though.) If your lucky enough to have an indoor grill that works nicely too...I don't but I dream. While the aspargus is cooking toast some chopped hazelnuts in a small fry pan and set aside. Arrange the aspagus on a serving plate and sprinkle with the hazelnuts. Also, works with fresh green beans.

I made those cookies last night. They are waaaaaaaaaaaaay too sugary. I think it needs more flour instead of sugar. Does anyone have a recipe for good choc chip cookies???

peaches, try this side dish:

http://www.pakupaku.info/thanksgivin..._carrots.shtml

theyre delicious and buttery and yummy. something everyone will love. only use 1/8 cup of vegan margarine though. the 1/4 cup is too much i find.

queen medjool, i posted a recipe a while ago. theyre DELISH. heres the recipe:

http://veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2256
    Last edited by foxytina_69; Dec 21st, 2005 at 11:02 AM. Reason: OOPS i accidently called queen medjool banana!!!
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Quote Jane M
    One of my favorite sides is Asparagus w/Hazelnuts. It is really simple and easy, and not too many ingredients...big plus for me. Just clean and toss asparagus with some olive oil. Arrange on a cookie sheet, grate some pepper on top, sprinkle with salt (or not) and throw in the oven for about 10 minutes or until done enough to suit you. (I like my veggies with some crunch left in them though.) If your lucky enough to have an indoor grill that works nicely too...I don't but I dream. While the aspargus is cooking toast some chopped hazelnuts in a small fry pan and set aside. Arrange the aspagus on a serving plate and sprinkle with the hazelnuts. Also, works with fresh green beans.
    This sounds REALLLLLY good...I might just try this one! I wonder what other veggies would work besides asparagus....
    Thanks!
    "Violent means will give violent freedom."
    ~Mohandas K. Gandhi

Is anyone planning a special vegan dinner for Easter this year?

Quote Roxy
    Is anyone planning a special vegan dinner for Easter this year?
    Yeah I am. With mainly Indian curries and starters. Also gonna try a couple of new chinese thingies I have learnt. Whatever I do with Chinese, they all look like Stir-frys.

Might probably invite Kevster over (I am sure he will be glad to acknowledge).
    Life is like a boomerang: What goes around comes around - "Karma"rocks!

I wasn't planning a special dinner. But seeing your post Roxy has reminded me that my mum has decided her and my nan are coming to visit me over Easter. Omnies through and through. I might think about a little something snacky and see if they'll come in the afternoon. I'm a fairly new vegan and feel I still need to show them I have plenty to eat and that vegan food is not as boring as they might think. Other than that... I've been looking forward to a vegan Easter egg for weeks now

We're visiting the inlaws and they are always up for a vegan meal (thank goodness).

I'll be making the mock ham from the bryannaclarkgrogan website, roasted asparagus with balsalmic glaze and steamed new potatoes with parsley or mint.

I'll make a big salad to start and we'll purchase bread (no inlaw meal is complete without it).

VeganJohn

Can't seem to find the actual recipe for the mock ham on Bryanna's site, just a picture of it

VeganJohn, she may have changed the website. I just pm'd the recipe to you since I couldn't find it on her site either.

Udate - I just found the recipe. It's in the free archives. Archive #6, April 5, 2004.

I'm going to be cooking a Tofurkey dinner and I'm going to do some roasted vegetables, using a recipe from La Dolce Vegan, although I'm not sure which recipe I'll use yet. There's one involving mollases, which sounds particularly yummy.

For dessert, I'm going to make a vegan chocolate cake, which we might enjoy with some vegan icecream, or maybe just by itself.

There will also be some wine