Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Quorn

a didgeridoo

Default Re: Quorn

Quote Kworn
    Down with Quorn ;-)

They really must be stopped from dominating the veggie world and a tasty vegan product enabled to take over!
    It’s good to see that Redwood’s products seem to be coming more widely available

Releat chicken style pieces are very much like Quorn. They're available in the freezer section at Tesco

Yes, my husband loves the Realeat chicken style pieces, I know what everyone means about Quorn though, I really don't see why they can't make vegan stuff aswell. You are lucky Carmen, to be able to order from Goodness Direct as when I tried to order from them they said they couldn't send chilled or frozen food to Northern Ireland, I was so disappointed!

I have never even tried Quorn...it just recently got to the US (maybe 6 years ago?) something about needing to be approved by the Food and Drug Administration and certain people are still protesting it because it causes sickness and severe allergic reactions in some people.

Made me a bit scared to try it, even when i was veggie. I didn't know it wasn't vegan...

John Robbins talks about Quorn here.

I dont thnk I will be eating Quorn!
    "You in my life is like having the wind in my hair! You mess it up , but thats ok!"

paulvegan

down with quorn. up with frys and redwoods

Releat vegemince is better than quorn mince anyway & you get more in a bag! I also e-mailed them, but they don't seem to want to budge on the eggs they add! They would reach so much more customers if they made it vegan, so it's their loss
    Purple Monkey! :)

Quote gertvegan
    John Robbins talks about Quorn here.
    After reading that I'm quite glad I won't eat it anymore! Ew, mouldy...lol if it is made out of some sort of mould like it seems to say!
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

OMG
    OhVom-ready meals from Quorn :-(

paulvegan

its a fugi type thing like a mushroom

Quorn is processed rubbish and they're more interested in appealing to meat-reducers because that's where they think the money is. my boyfriend eats it.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

I much prefer veggies or proper soy mince

tabitha

Quorn is my compromise food. My kids (18 and 15) dont want to be vegan and I dont want them to eat meat., so I buy quorn for them.

sugarmouse

I emailed them aswell...and the egg thing seems to be non negotiable.i reckon they will come round eventually and i do belvie it is better to encourage people to try quorn than to stick with meat.but i do wish they were vegan.

paulvegan

tried it when it first came out and thought it tasted sh*t,then i saw the light and went vegan.

have tesco stopped doing realeat "chicken" pieces? i've been to 3 stores in surrey and they don't have them. i'm upset as they don't sell them in holland and barrat either and they're expensive online! does anyone's tesco stock them still?

Quote tabitha
    Quorn is my compromise food. My kids (18 and 15) dont want to be vegan and I dont want them to eat meat., so I buy quorn for them.
    Have they tried Fry's? I found it tasted better and it's Vegan too

Quote tabitha
    Geeni - I have used Redwood chicken bits in stirfries, also "chicken", sweetcorn and pasta dishes. The kids loved them. In fact in the stirfry they didnt even realise it wasnt chicken. I have also used them in chicken salad sandwiches in packed lunches. I have to be cunning and not tell them its vegan, but Ive got used to being cunning.
    I bought some intending to try making Japanese-style karaage chicken. Problem is I kept snacking on it, and before I got around to any experiments, it was gone.

Cheers,

Ross-c

Angry Letter from Quorn manufacturers

I wrote to quorn about the inclusion off eggs and whey in their products and thought people might be interested in their response. Perhaps if others write they might take it more seriously? (I just mailed them through their website)

28 September 2006

Dear Liz

Thank you for your recent correspondence regarding Quorn products.

We are sorry to hear that you were upset to learn that eggs are used in the manufacture of our products.

The ingredients used in the Quorn range of products are vegetable in origin, but all contain a small amount of egg white which is added as a binding agent to produce the firm, meat-like texture that our customers enjoy. In addition, most Quorn products contain whey protein derived from milk.

Over the years, we have expended considerable effort working to find suitable alternative binders to replace the egg which would give the same eating quality and make our products acceptable to vegans. Unfortunately we have never been able to replicate the textures & flavours, (which market research data indicate are the optimum), of our current products with the commercially available, vegan approved, food ingredients.

We value and respect the views of all vegetarians and vegans and would hope to meet their criteria at some time in the future. We will continue to search for acceptable alternatives to eggs and fully assess new ingredients as they come onto the market place, but at present we can unfortunately give no indication of when and indeed if this will ever be achieved.

Thank you once again for contacting us with your enquiry. Please do not hesitate to contact us again should you require any further information or advice.

Yours sincerely

Tracey Cope
    Consumer Care Advisor
    Last edited by flutterby; Sep 28th, 2006 at 04:40 PM. Reason: This was the 1st post in a similar thread.

They've definately got their moneys worth out of that generic letter.

PygmyGoat

Quote Skajen View Post
    have tesco stopped doing realeat "chicken" pieces? i've been to 3 stores in surrey and they don't have them. i'm upset as they don't sell them in holland and barrat either and they're expensive online! does anyone's tesco stock them still?

Same in my local Tesco . Very annoying, I'd just got a taste for the stuff .

Quiet Vegan

Can't find it here either, have Realeat stopped them completely? The only place I've seen them is Goodness Direct.
    To be honest I don't miss them that much - not having fake chicken is making me cook real food!
    Win or lose, sink or swim, one thing is certain, we'll never give in, side by side, hand in hand, we all stand together!

Default Re: Letter from Quorn manufacturers

Quote Quorn Stooge
    Unfortunately we have never been able to replicate the textures & flavours, (which market research data indicate are the optimum)
    What a load of rubbish. When I went veggie I ate tons of the stuff because I thought it was all I could eat (how naive!), but then I found the infinitely superior Redwood, Fry's and Wicken Fen products that were Vegan.

So there.

I wouldn't mind about not having quorn products at home but a lot of pubs near us have quorn burgers or sausages as the only veggie option. Maybe I should write to those pubs and ask them to think about doing a vegan version instead?