Thread: Hedgehogs

Default Hedgehogs

Apparently, these cuties may be on the decline. Here's a link asking for our help in recording their numbers...
    http://hogwatch.org.uk/
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Default Re: Hedgehogs

Yay, Red Wellies A Hedgehog Thread

The only time I can remember seeing a hedgehog was a few weeks ago, near where I live. He was shuffling along the pavement. After a while he disappeared into somebody's garden. I suppose they have to be careful with traffic, cats and people everywhere.

I had one under my car on my drive the other week and i picked one out of the road before it had an accident. Bless them

I think I may have one living at or near the end of my garden, I hope so, I need it to protect the plants from the slimy beasties.

Any idea what to feed them?

I expect they're getting plenty naturally

The usual advice is cat food, so I guess they'd eat the vegan proteiny things that people give their cats, but as they're insectivores it doesn't seem quite right, IMO. Obviously no bread and milk! (Not good at all, even though they like it.)

How about leaving water for them? I expect that's a problem in hot weather.

I love hedgehogs. We get them in our garden fairly regularly very late in the evening even though we live on one of the main roads into town! our Our garden is large though and rather than small plants and flowers we do favour large bushes and trees so that might be what attracts them.
    About five years ago we went to a rover garage and on the forecourt there was a hedgehog. He looked like he'd been attacked. Blood and his insides hanging out. (sorry) We scooped him up in my sons jumper and drove him to the 'Hedgehog Rescue Society'. I knew about them because Sue who runs it from her home came to do a talk at the childrens charity I used to work at. Anyway Sue said after he'd been attacked flies/maggots had got in him and laid eggs. He must have been in pain for so long We kept in touch and after extensive treatment from the vet, he was set free. We named him Rover after where we found him.
    Sorry I've rambled but I'll never forget that day. How many people must have seen Rover the hedgehog and just left him there x
    All of life is a dream walking
    All of death is a going home Chinese saying

Quote RedWellies
    Apparently, these cuties may be on the decline. Here's a link asking for our help in recording their numbers...
    Thanks Redwellies. Will record all our sightings here. x

Limey

How can anyone let these little guys go on the decline?

Thanks for the link, Red!

veggiewoman

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1770

Britain's hedgehogs are disappearing, warns charity

By ANDREW LEVY, Daily Mail 23:25pm 3rd July 2006

The hedgehog population in Britain has been halved in recent years, a disturbing survey has found.
    Numbers have dropped from around 1.5 million to 750,000 over a six-year period, leading to concerns about the mammal's long-term future.
    Road death, attacks by badgers and new farming practices are being blamed for the rapid decline.
    Intensive farming presents one of the greatest threats, with larger fields destroying foraging areas and pesticides killing off food supplies.
    Wildlife experts from the People's Trust for Endangered Species have now launched a national survey to find out where hedgehogs are managing to survive in a bid to reverse the trend.
    The project is being co-ordinated by Royal Holloway University in London and funded by the PTES and British Hedgehog Preservation Society. Dr Paul Bright, of Royal Holloway, said: 'It is vital to know where hedgehogs are still present and determine why their numbers appear to be falling.
    'This will not only help us safeguard an endearing favourite of the British garden but also many other species with similar needs.
    'The survey is simple to complete and, very importantly, letting us know if you haven't seen hedgehogs is just as important as letting us know that you have.
    'Hedgehogs have been around for 20 million years - we want to ensure they will be around in the next century.'
    PTES identified the drop in numbers with its annual Mammals on Road surveys between 1995 and 2001, which estimate numbers based on the frequency of road kills.
    It has now decided to launch HogWatch because there had been no sign of improvement.
    Members of the public are being asked to report where they spotted hedgehogs last year and whether the animals are still there now.
    An online form is available at www.HogWatch.org.uk(CORR) and information provided will be added to a database to build up a national picture.
    British Hedgehog Preservation Society spokeswoman Fay Vass said: 'At first it was thought there could have been a blip in the figures or there had been a bad year for hedgehogs.
    'Now we realise there has been a fairly steady decline and want to find out why.
    'Building a map of the UK will identify where hedgehogs are doing well and where they are doing poorly.
    'Hopefully that will give us an indication of what problems they are facing in certain areas and whether they are doing better in suburban gardens or on farms.'
    Hedgehogs are the only British mammal covered in spines.
    Each one has as many as 7,000 on its back and sides which provide protection from predators when the animal curls up into a prickly ball. Homeowners are being advised they can help halt their decline by leaving out water and food, such as dog or cat food. Gardens can also be made 'hedgehog friendly' by providing escape routes from ponds, keeping drain holes covered and checking piles of leaves before burning them in case hedgehogs are nesting.

Thanks Veggiewoman.

Good point, that, about gardens. *Apparently* (according to my memory of 'The Complete Hedgehog' ) more hedgehogs die in people's gardens than on roads They're quite fond of compost heaps too, so be careful with your spades!

I haven't seen a hedgehog for ages

Quote Poppy
    I love hedgehogs. We get them in our garden fairly regularly very late in the evening even though we live on one of the main roads into town! our Our garden is large though and rather than small plants and flowers we do favour large bushes and trees so that might be what attracts them.
    About five years ago we went to a rover garage and on the forecourt there was a hedgehog. He looked like he'd been attacked. Blood and his insides hanging out. (sorry) We scooped him up in my sons jumper and drove him to the 'Hedgehog Rescue Society'. I knew about them because Sue who runs it from her home came to do a talk at the childrens charity I used to work at. Anyway Sue said after he'd been attacked flies/maggots had got in him and laid eggs. He must have been in pain for so long We kept in touch and after extensive treatment from the vet, he was set free. We named him Rover after where we found him.
    Sorry I've rambled but I'll never forget that day. How many people must have seen Rover the hedgehog and just left him there x
    Hi Poppy, It must have been awful for that poor little hedgehog lying there, but thank goodness for people like you who take the time to rescue animals in distress. As you say, I wonder how many people saw him and just left him there.

Awww thanks Sandra. I know you would have done the same x

Poppy, you were saying you were going to record any hedgehogs you seen, have you recorded many? I have only seen 1 hedgehog in my garden and I have been living here 20yrs, but I saw a baby one ambling over the field near where I live, they are so cute!

Quote RedWellies
    Hiya Sandra. From this site Redwellies posted.
    So far this year there's been two in our garden and I've seen two wandering around the corner from us. That's in our front garden but before we had the back garden fenced we would find one walking around now and again, of course always very late in the evening.
    They are just so gorgeous aren't they? x

Quote Cherry
    How about leaving water for them? I expect that's a problem in hot weather.
    Good idea, I've just put a bowl out for them.

veggiewoman

Your welcome Cherry

For christmas my brother bought my dad a hedgehog house and a bat house too , I'm not sure yet if they have been put to good use yet though, my dad liked them though.
    It doesnt' surprise me much that more die ingardens than roads , all the chemicals , bon fires that are built up for days on end then people lite them without checking, all their food sources been killed just becuase people dont like them etc, lack of water resources ..............
    the list can go on and on

Poor little hedgehogs. I'd love to have a garden big enough to have a load of 'houses' for different animals

Quote Risker
    Good idea, I've just put a bowl out for them.
    Cool You just need a hedgehog cam now You can often tell if a saucer has been hedgehogged as they turn it up side down to look for things on the other side.

veggiewoman

Probably already been said, but I missed it.
    I jsut thought I woudl say it anyway as its very important.
    I once heard that giving hedghogs cows milk and bread which for years was seen as a nice thing to do , can actually kill them , so instead to give them water and cat food.
    Can anyone say if this is true or not?

Yes, it's true. It gives them diarrhoea which can lead to dehydration and death.

I was watering my garden last night when i saw a hedgehog under my tree. I quicky rushed in to tell my husband and when i got back i noticed he had his back legs stuck in some log roll. My husband tried to prize it open with a hammer but that didnt work so we had to cut the metal on the back and managed to free his legs. His legs were very sore and looked pretty painful. I rang the RSPCA and they told me to put him in a box with some water and some cat food (not fish). He was drinking for about an hour. The RSPCA turned up about 3 hours later and took him to the vets to get an xray.
    Hope the poor little thing is ok. I am so glad i found him when i did but felt really bad because something i had put in my garden had caused him to be harmed

Oh, that's sad, Puffin. But at least you got help for him. What's log roll? I thought you'd mis-typed it and meant loo roll but then I read the part about the hammer!
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Its wooden edging for gardens, and has a metal wire on the back to keep it together.

Maybe you could contact St Tiggywinkles and tell them about it. They could then maybe warn others about what could happen. Hopefully though it was just a one-off accident.
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Aw. I'm glad you spotted him Puffin I'm sure he'll be ok now.

I'm glad the RSPCA came for him. Well done. x

Now I know I have hedgehogs in my garden, it/they left me a couple of presents. It would explain why my plants have barely taken any damage from slimy things too.

Quote Limey

Arrrrhhhh so sweet

I am very happy i found him when i did cherry, poor thing was so thirsty.
    Poppy i rang them twice as i wasnt sure they were going to come the same day. I was so happy to see the RSPCA man. He checked him over but he just curled up. Bless him

On my way home from work today I spotted a large hedgehog by the side of the road. It was on a fast road, so I had to wait for a turning and then go back and find somewhere to park so I could walk to have a look. I thought it was maybe just shocked and dehydrated rather than dead, but alas no

How awful.

On the plus side there is a live hedgehog in my front garden as we speak

Hooray

Your garden seems to be a pretty good place for hedgehog spotting

Limey, thanks for that cute picture of the hedgehog. He can be my desktop wallpaper for a few days (my dogs have been hogging it for years).

I love hedgehogs too, they're amazingly cute. Unfortunately, I walk my dogs VERY late at night and I see far too many roadkills. I probably see 10 to 20 dead hedgehogs per year, it's very disturbing. I remember when I first saw a hedgehog a few years ago - I was amazed at how fast their little legs can carry them.

On a happier hedgehog note, I once saw one in the middle of the road, and hurtling towards him was some guy in a boy-racer car - music playing full blast. I watched in horror, fully expecting the guy to aim at the poor little chap, but to my delight, he actually swerved right across the road onto the other side to avoid him. I like to convince myself he was thinking about the hedgehog, although I'm sure he was more worried about his tyres

I love hedgehogs, I actually collect stuff hedgehogs, I buy them on ebay all the time, my favorite is a momma hedgehog that has three little stuffed baby hedgehogs that zipper into her tummy. I've never seen a real live one though, I don't think there are any in MN

PS by stuffed hedgehogs I of course mean stuffed toys, not anything taxodermy.

paulvegan

you would stuff hedgehogs then put zippers on them ,thats wicked,you should be reported.

I found a dead hedgehog in my field last week which was sad. Still haven't seen a live one for a while. (Maybe they've all moved to Puffin's garden?)
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Yes i have them all here and i am not sharing them
    I have only had three this year. One under the car, the hurt one and the one in the front garden. I need some more

if you have a garden put some water out for them please. Even if you have never seen one in your garden. They can die of dehydration in this weather.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

I thought about that, Herbwormwood. The problem is, I can't put water where I found him/her because the horses would kick it over. I thought to put some outside that field incase they go in again. I'm not sure where they go though...and I need to find a shallow dish...
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Quote puffin
    Puffin is their mum.. If you observe Puffin's back closely, you will find spikes.
    Life is like a boomerang: What goes around comes around - "Karma"rocks!

Quote puffin
    Pretty please?

I found a suitable container and have put some water out in case any of the cuties wander by. I expect the birds will use it if the hedgehogs don't.
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Cherry
    Pretty please?
    Oh ok then

Cool

Sorry, this is kind of trivial, but if you are on Facebook and like hedgehogs, the British Hedgehog Preservation Society are desperate to get 3,000 "likes" by tomorrow, so if you could go to their page and "like" it they would be v grateful. (I'm not 100% sure what good this sort of thing does them except that I suppose it gets their name around? They do do very good work, if you think conserving hedgehogs is good work, which I personally do.)

Anyway, this is the page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Briti...y/273196350835