Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Omega-3: Vegan DHA / EPA

cobweb

Default Re: Vegan DHA/EPA supplements

i'm hugely into hemp oil at the moment, i'm using it as an external moisturiser and using it on my food. i find the smell of it so comforting and it definitely helps my skin.

There is a bit of information about interactions between omega 6 and omega 3 oils such as http://www.vegsoc.org/info/omega3.html and http://www.vegansociety.com/html/foo...atty_acids.php. There is quite a detailed discussion in the book "Plant Based Nutrition and Health".

I stopped using sunflower oil because of that but I haven't really made any other adjustments I don't think. Oh, well, at one time I did used to buy stuff like Udo's oil but I switched to flax or hemp because IIRC the Udo's includes omega 6 oils which we're undoubtedly getting enough of in our diets.

ETA I think the idea of V-pure is that the conversion work has already been done for you, but presumably it would still be sensible to maximise omega 3 absorption from your diet as well.

I started taking v-pure about a week ago. I'm only taking one a day so far. I'll try to increase it to 2 a day soon...I know I'm not getting the recommended daily dosage but figure it's better than nothing.

I'll have to look into the information about other foods hindering absorption. I do tend to use sunflower oil...in cooking and baking but have decided to switch that over to canola..

Whalespace, I was wondering, do you take the capsules all at the same time or space them out over your day?

I spread out the swallowing times. Sometimes I think about where to put them, but it is usually quite jazzy [barely composed]. I often wake up at two or three AM too hungry to sleep. Sometimes I set an alarm to get a 'meal' in a more sensible place.
    I agree that something is better than nothing, and caution is usually most sensible with a new food.
    I'm sure that lots of non vegan research has been done on 'fish oils' too; I'm not sure how people feel about reading that stuff.
    I heard that canola contains much less erucic acid than the related oilseed rape oil.

I tend to minimise my oil intake so much that I wonder if my body will use the DHA and EPA for some bog standard cellular process for which any old lipid will do, so I'm not sure that taking the EPA after 12 hours of no eating [lipids], would be such a good idea.
    I should look up some ratios myself.

World Health Organisation recommended 30 grammes of lipids minimum, for a sedentary human adult. I was taught that most human cell walls contain a 'phospho lipid bi-layer'. No fats equals poorly fast.
    Problematic is waking someone whom pretends to sleep.

I definitely don't minimize my oil intake...I probably should. I planned to start taking two of the v-pure a day yesterday but it didn't work out. I know it's just a matter of getting used to a new routine. I think I was worried I'd have some bizzare reaction to the supplement which is why I didn't want to jump in with all 3 at once.

Having said that...I'll go take my second one now. How's that for progress?!

Does anyone know much about this seemingly new product....Salba?

Thanks Roxy. Never heard of it.

Has anyone tried the new Silk soymilk with added DHA? I was tempted to buy it but leery of how soymilk w/ flax oil and microalgae would taste.

Also, Whalespace, is it absolutely necessary to take the v-pure with food for better absorption? And, I saw on their website that they are having a 3 for 2 sale.

Quote veganwitch View Post

Also, Whalespace, is it absolutely necessary to take the v-pure with food for better absorption? And, I saw on their website that they are having a 3 for 2 sale.
    I really don't know about absorption, I'm just guessing. The body can be very selective in some processes, but seemingly osmotic in others. However, I'm fairly sure that stored bodyfat is only ever mobilised as polysacharides, never as lipids, which is why regular dietary fat is necessary for metabolic processes. I just wondered if the body would use any lipids|fats|oils available for crucial maintenance; therefore grabbing the EPA before it got to the brain, eyes, nerves, prostaglandins or wherever we really need them. I'd pull out my essay if I wouldn't find a ream of other directions on the way.

V pure seem to have a constant 3 for 2 sale. Perhaps I'm just co-incidentally in step with them.

veganwitch - I have been drinking the Silk Plus Omega-3 DHA for some time and I can tell you that it tastes fine. I'm not sure that you'd be able to tell the difference between it and regular Silk Soymilk Plain. There are such small amounts of flax oil and algal oil that you can't even taste them. From the FAQ on the Silk web site, it says, "Silk Plus Omega-3 DHA contains 370 mg of ALA and 32 mg of DHA per serving." By comparison, I think regular soymilk contains around 200 mg of ALA per serving. So, the DHA content isn't huge, but I do like that it has the extra ALA from the flax oil and other added vitamins too like Vitamin K that aren't in regular soymilk.

The only thing I would be careful of is using the Silk Plus w/ DHA for cooking. I've read that Flax Oil is very unstable and can have toxic effects when direct heat is applied. I don't know if the small amount they put in the Silk Plus is enough to be of concern. I don't see anything on the packaging telling you not to heat it. To be careful, I bought a small Silk Creamer box to use when making Chai Tea since I heat that up directly on the stove.

That said, I am also planning on purchasing the V-Pure supplement soon. I have been trying to consume at least 2,200 mg ALA a day with a combination of one or more of the following: Silk Plus, Spectrum Organics Flax Oil w/ DHA, hemp shakes, other foods that have flax seeds added, other soy foods, and other foods with omega-3. Note that Spectrum Organics Flax Oil w/ DHA contains 130 mg of DHA per Tbsp, for those who might be interested in using it. However, I don't usually take more than 1/2 tsp a day because I also get ALA from other sources so I just use the flax oil to top off whatever I need to reach 2,200 mg.

Do we really need to consult a doctor before starting the V-Pure supplement as the manufacturer suggests? Are there any known side-effects from algae consumption? Is it better to start with one capsule a day and work your way up or is it OK to go right to 3 a day? I have suffered with an anxiety disorder (or possibly a combination of aspects of multiple anxiety disorders and depression) for a long time and I have been prescribed Prozac, but I am trying to put off taking it while I try other approaches: talk therapy, yoga, omega-3s, and next will be extra DHA/EPA. I also had my vitamin D level checked a few months ago and found out I was deficient, so I have been taking extra vitamin D at my doctor's advice. There have been a very limited number of studies linking vitamin D deficiency with depression and possibly other mental health issues, so I am also hopeful that bringing up my vitamin D levels might improve my anxiety/depression.

I am also curious ... Is there any reason to actually get a blood test to check your Omega-3, DHA, EPA levels before supplementing? Has anyone done this? Considering that I've been vegan for several years and haven't started consciously trying to include extra Omega-3 into my diet until the last several months, I'm assuming that my DHA and EPA levels are low based on studies of levels in vegetarians/vegans. However, is there any risk of getting too much DHA/EPA (and maybe even plain old ALA Omega-3) if you already have sufficient levels?

Vegandog, thanks for sharing your experience with Silk DHA milk. I might give it a go and it's good advice not to use it in cooking.

As far as the V-Pure goes, I'm really satisfied with my decision to start using it. I'm very cautious when it comes to supplements and I was also concerned about possible side effects. I started with one a day and did that for about a week. I started two a day only for a day or two and am now taking the recommended 3. I haven't had any problems. As far as consulting a dr. I'm pretty sure it says that on every type of supplement. I personally wouldn't consult a dr. because I avoid them like the plague.

I haven't heard of any negative side effects from too much DHA EPA and again personally would not consider a bloodtest. Whalespace seems to be living proof that even going beyond the recommended dose is okay.

Quote vegandog View Post

The only thing I would be careful of is using the Silk Plus w/ DHA for cooking. I've read that Flax Oil is very unstable and can have toxic effects when direct heat is applied. I don't know if the small amount they put in the Silk Plus is enough to be of concern. I don't see anything on the packaging telling you not to heat it. To be careful, I bought a small Silk Creamer box to use when making Chai Tea since I heat that up directly on the stove.
    Flax seed can go straight through a person exuding 'slimey' mucids, but keeping other seed contents locked safely within the shell [and therefore non digested]. Milling or cracking the seeds allows the contents to come into contact with a digestive system. These seeds [and others] contain cyanogenic glycosides, which can cause small amounts of cyanide to be produced in the gut. Don't panic, tiny amounts of cyanide can do beneficial things... you might want to check a list of other such plant foods, just in case you are eating enough for a horse. I read that the glycosides did not make it into the oil. Who knows? I gathered that the non stability of the flax oil just meant that you lost the benefit if you hot wobbled it to death. I also read that baking temperatures were not too damaging, but I just mix mine in cold.

Quote vegandog View Post

Do we really need to consult a doctor before starting the V-Pure supplement as the manufacturer suggests? Are there any known side-effects from algae consumption? Is it better to start with one capsule a day and work your way up or is it OK to go right to 3 a day? I have suffered with an anxiety disorder (or possibly a combination of aspects of multiple anxiety disorders and depression) for a long time and I have been prescribed Prozac, but I am trying to put off taking it while I try other approaches: talk therapy, yoga, omega-3s, and next will be extra DHA/EPA. I also had my vitamin D level checked a few months ago and found out I was deficient, so I have been taking extra vitamin D at my doctor's advice. There have been a very limited number of studies linking vitamin D deficiency with depression and possibly other mental health issues, so I am also hopeful that bringing up my vitamin D levels might improve my anxiety/depression.
    Had I asked my doctor, she would have told me about the really poorly people she needed to look after...as she filled in a blood test request form.
    I think V-pure is an algae extract, and the amounts are barely a splash in the face from the swamp of life. However: never take sweets from strangers.
    I'm glad you are trying alternatives to Prozac [tm] first. I have read a few articles relating depression to magnesium deficiency...brought about by an excess of calcium. I guess calcium and magnesium compete for binding sites or calcium displaces magnesium or something [because calcium is more reactive, or has a similar valency (shape)]
    More vitamin D should help you to absorb more calcium, so you might need less calcium overall in your system.
    I am not a nutritionist, nor a chemist...but you might be interested in following a "calcium induced magnesium deficiency depression" lead.
    That should be a PrivateMessage really.... although V-pure do mention 'possible mood elevating properties' on their tubs.

Quote vegandog View Post

I am also curious ... Is there any reason to actually get a blood test to check your Omega-3, DHA, EPA levels before supplementing? Has anyone done this? Considering that I've been vegan for several years and haven't started consciously trying to include extra Omega-3 into my diet until the last several months, I'm assuming that my DHA and EPA levels are low based on studies of levels in vegetarians/vegans. However, is there any risk of getting too much DHA/EPA (and maybe even plain old ALA Omega-3) if you already have sufficient levels?
    Such deficiencies are also rife among a big subset of omnivores whom also never eat certain fish.
    I was vegan for 9 or so years before I read that my brain would disintegrate unless I ate some cod liver oil. The debate is still open. This is one of the reasons that the v-pure EPA makes me feel so happy. We appear to have everything we need. I also feel good to be investing in that company and their practices...but that is personal.

I haven't heard of any negative side effects from too much DHA EPA and again personally would not consider a bloodtest. Whalespace seems to be living proof that even going beyond the recommended dose is okay.
    Hahahaha thanks veganwitch, I love you....makes a change from "whalespace is what happens when exceeding the recommended dose."

Eskimos were once living proof that you could eat litres of fish and live... until the fish got so wacked on toilet juice and heavy metal.
    Seriously...these guys took grammes of these oils regularly.

[QUOTE=whalespace;437443]Hahahaha thanks veganwitch, I love you....makes a change from "whalespace is what happens when exceeding the recommended dose." [QUOTE]

Now don't go and lose your mind or drop dead because then you'll have made a liar of me

Eskimos were once living proof that you could eat litres of fish and live... until the fish got so wacked on toilet juice and heavy metal.
    Seriously...these guys took grammes of these oils regularly.
    Don't worry, you'll never end up like the toxic Eskimos...you have compassion on your side. IMHO that gives you a cosmic advantage

I'm home sick from work so I watched Oprah today and they had the best lifestyle to live by/look younger etc. The Dr on there stated that spiralina is a good supply of DHA. I know algae is and that spiralina is a type of algae. Does anyone know if this is the case for sure?

Treehugga, I don't know anything about spirulina but am interested also to see if the DHA thing is true about it. For some reason I used to associate spirulina as being non-vegan so I've always shied away from it. I don't know where I got my misinformation I thought somehow it had to do with bees

Treehugga, I don't know anything about spirulina but am interested also to see if the DHA thing is true about it. For some reason I used to associate spirulina as being non-vegan so I've always shied away from it. I don't know where I got my misinformation I thought somehow it had to do with bees
    I've looked into it further veganwitch and apparently it does not have dha - must be the wrong source of algae, I'm still taking it to see if my health improves though. Spiralina is vegan - not sure where you got the bee thing from as it is a type of algae which I can't imagine bees having anything to do with .

I wish I enjoyed the taste of spirulina. But it just doesn't sit well with my gag reflex

Same here Roxy, so I just take spiralina in tablet form. Can't deal with the powdered stuff.

vegan

Default Re: DHA in Silk soy milk

Does anyone have any information about estrogen in soy milk? Is this bad for you?

plant hormones =/= animal hormones
    context is everything

What is the meaning of =/=?

vegan

Yes, I was just wondering that as well.

=/= means "does not equal"
    Peace, love, and happiness.

I thought != was not equal? ..
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe-Albert Einstein

!= does mean 'is not equal' but it's mostly used for programming languages, so some may not know about it.

I had never seen =/= before. I thought maybe it was an odd way of doing >= hah

The not equals sign is ≠ so it was just a way of recreating it using the regular characters on a keyboard.

Michael.
    If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find me...

vegan

[font face=century gothic]Oh, okay.[/font]

Exclamation Re: Vegan DHA/EPA supplements

I just ordered the Vpure directly from the water4.net website.

Does anyone know how long it is going to take to show up to the USA?

It had no info on shipping times, and seems to be coming from Switzerland. Does that mean I may get it in a few months?

I did the Buy 3 for 2 deal as other mentioned...it's still running.

Thanks,

Wildflower

I emailed them about the shipping and they said 7 - 10 days to the USA, sometimes a bit longer.

I also asked if there's any concern about having them shipped during the warm weather and I got two different replies:

"There shouldn't be any issues with it being sent during the hot weather. Its pretty stable."

"No problem to ship to anywhere in the USA and secondly our product is better warm than cold. Whilst we do not advocate higher temperatures for too long as the capsules can degrade they are perfectly physically stable as long as not exposed to strong light. It is severe cold that should be avoided as the capsules can sometimes become brittle and crack.

However I looked briefly at the environmental conditions where you on the web and I think you would be fine."

Hey - thanks for the quick response!

That's awesome - I can wait a few weeks...just didn't want to wait for MONTHS.

So are you taking them and feeling any difference in anything?

Quote Wildflower View Post

It had no info on shipping times, and seems to be coming from Switzerland. Does that mean I may get it in a few months?

Thanks,

Wildflower
    OMG...Wildflower!! How good to see you back on here I was wondering what happened to you. I hope all is well.

I don't remember exactly how long it took me to get the Vpure but it was much quicker than I expected. No longer than a couple of weeks.

I really like the Vpure. Since I started taking it I've been clearer-headed, less depressed, and had a better memory. Of course, the past week or two I've been slipping and only taking it once a day or so....I feel like my brain is turning to mush again

I only took a one-month's supply that I got from veganstore.com. I can't say that I felt any differently while taking them, but I don't know that a month is long enough to see "results." If I was smart, I would have re-ordered so they'd come in time before my supply ran out, but I waited until I ran out, so now it will be a couple weeks that I haven't taken them by the time my package comes from Switzerland. Hopefully, now that I'll be able to take them three month's straight, I'll have a better idea of whether they're helping.

thanks for the feedback guys!

Good to see you veganwitch...

I've actually had a hard year but I am starting to be OK again.

So you have seen improvement in your mood? I am hoping it will help me with my anxiety/situational depression. Just trying to get as healthy as possible and take great care of myself!

Wildflower, I'm sorry to hear you've been having a bad time of it. I hope things continue to turn around for you.

I've definitely noticed a change in mood. I feel more positive and less "gloom and doom". I also find I'm not wanting to isolate myself as much . I hadn't even been to the forum for a long time b/c I just didn't have it in me to make the effort. Maybe it's just coincidence, idk. I sporadically drink st. john's wort tea, tension tamer tea , kava stress relief, and calming tea but I really doubt my infrequent use has a big effect.

The only other changes I've made are taking V-pure and Vit D2. I think I started to feel better even before the V-pure but I do feel that it helps keep my outlook better and I plan to keep taking it. I have no doubt that V-pure is solely responsible for my better memory and less muddled mind.

I'm also trying to tell myself that even if I can't change things that happen I can still change the way I react. (Easier said than done.) I think Nietzsche said "what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger" so that's how I'm trying to look at things too.

I hope you see some positive changes with the V-pure.

Smile Re: Vegan DHA/EPA supplements

Thank you veganwitch.

It still hasn't come and it's been quite a few weeks. Hopefully I will get it next week.

That's great it is helping you feel less anxiety about wanting to go out and do things and you feel less isolated.

I'll send ya a pm about me!

ps - I took a whole Nietzsche class in college - yes that was him. I think, philisophically speaking, that for some people certain situations do make them stronger...but you have to have a predisposition or attitude or something underlying that to have that happen. I am glad you do!

I have just known too many people who let bad things get them down and end up hating the world and everyone in it to think that bad or difficult things alone make you stronger. And I know people who have had awful things happen to them and they stay the strong happy people they always were...

Something I've given a lot of thought too lately, can ya tell?

It still hasn't come and it's been quite a few weeks. Hopefully I will get it next week.
    oh dear, I hope it arrives soon! I ordered my first bottle from Pangea which I got in a couple of days but then I decided to order directly from the company b/c they had the 3 for 2 deal.

I'll send ya a pm about me!
    I'm looking forward to it!

I would LOVE to take a Nietzsche class! Right now I'm trying to self-educate. I seem to be finding it easier to buy the books than finding the time to read them though

I have just known too many people who let bad things get them down and end up hating the world and everyone in it to think that bad or difficult things alone make you stronger. And I know people who have had awful things happen to them and they stay the strong happy people they always were...

Something I've given a lot of thought too lately, can ya tell?
    Same here, I am constantly thinking about these things and looking for answers/reasons for why things happen. Thanks for saying I have the right attitude. I often wonder. It's still a struggle for me not to let bad times/worries get the better of me. But I guess the fact that I am still here and still questioning counts for something.

I forgot to say that I cut drastically down on my caffeine intake. Probably by 90-95%. This coincided with starting v-pure so I am thinking less caffiene may have had an impact. Over the past week or two though I am starting to ease back into caffeine. I realize I don't need it, I just like it.

Thanks,

Wildflower
    Wel...I just got this email RE: My order on May 19th:

Dear customer,

Firstly my apologies for this impersonal email but we wanted to be able to inform each and every customer who has recently ordered V Pure as soon as possible about an unfortunate delay in delivery of there order.

We have been supplying all of our V Pure capsules to clients direct from Switzerland where they are currently manufactured. Due to contractual issues with the shipment service provider this service has been interrupted resulting in a delay to all recent orders. Goods are in the process of being relocated to a new service provider and are expected to be shipped to you at the start of next week; that is week commencing 16th June.

We apologize wholeheartedly for this delay and by way of compensation for the delay we propose to send an extra free months supply of capsules by way of apology.

Our sincere apologies I hope this delay will not dampen your continued support of our business and enjoyment of V Pure omega 3 capsules.

Sincerely,
    All at Water 4

Water 4 Investment

I guess it is good they emailed me to let me know, and sounds like they might (they propose? I want to take them up on their proposal!) give me a free month's supply.

Same here, I am constantly thinking about these things and looking for answers/reasons for why things happen. Thanks for saying I have the right attitude. I often wonder. It's still a struggle for me not to let bad times/worries get the better of me. But I guess the fact that I am still here and still questioning counts for something.
    I understand what you mean. I think you do have the right attitude though...bad times are part of life too, ya know? It always helps to question things and try to learn more than just concede and decide life is awful and not worth the effort of trying to change anything.

I forgot to say that I cut drastically down on my caffeine intake. Probably by 90-95%. This coincided with starting v-pure so I am thinking less caffiene may have had an impact. Over the past week or two though I am starting to ease back into caffeine. I realize I don't need it, I just like it.
    Yeah, I keep thinking I need to do this, but I am always so tired without coffee. I don't think I consume too much caffeine - I have some coffee (about 2- 3 measuring cups full) in the early AM (between 5-7 am) and sometimes have yogi tea before bed. I should probably try to cut back, but I really like coffee and chai!

Unhappy Re: Vegan DHA/EPA supplements

Still no Vpure!

I got the message about the shipment service providers too. Hay hoe, must wait for a while. Generous of V pure to mention a free tub.

Quote whalespace View Post
    I got the message about the shipment service providers too. Hay hoe, must wait for a while. Generous of V pure to mention a free tub.

Yes - it was! I wrote back telling them I would like their free tub and have heard good things about their product...not sure if it is a monitored email box, but I figured it didn't hurt.

V-pure is reportedly back in control of shipments of their product.

I finally got my vPure yesterday!

woohooo...4 for the price of 1. In my reading, it seems most doctors recommend a lot more than what vPure considers the daily dosage (daily is 3 pills = EPA 75, DHA 270). Anyone take more than the 3 a day? or am I reading that wrong and each pill contains that? It says 3 above it...

I got an 'apology' tub aswell.
    I took the stated dose for a year or so... now I take 6 capsules each day, unless the supply is interrupted. I'd probably use more if I could afford it... but I feel ok.
    I can still eat all of the other EFA foods, and cut out 'negative' things.

since I've been on vacation the past couple of weeks I've only been taking 2 v-pure a day at most, but I am still feeling all the positive effects I attribute to them.

so glad you finally got yours Wildflower!

I understand what you mean. I think you do have the right attitude though...bad times are part of life too, ya know? It always helps to question things and try to learn more than just concede and decide life is awful and not worth the effort of trying to change anything.
    Yeah, I keep thinking I need to do this, but I am always so tired without coffee. I don't think I consume too much caffeine - I have some coffee (about 2- 3 measuring cups full) in the early AM (between 5-7 am) and sometimes have yogi tea before bed. I should probably try to cut back, but I really like coffee and chai!
    Thanks Wildflower...you make a lot of sense.

As far as the caffeine goes, it doesn't sound like too much to me. But then I drank way more than that..haha! Right now I am trying to limit myself to one-two cups of caffeinated tea a day. I've tried to live w/out both caffeine and sugar at some point and decided I just don't want to live with out them.
    Eh...I figure there are way worse vices than that.

I wanted to buy the vegan EPA/DHA from water4.net but apparently they don't sell within the states. I don't know if the only way to get it is by ordering it online.

Right now I am taking a vegan DHA by DEVA and i like it and feel better
    http://www.devanutrition.com/vegan_dha_softgels.html

Has anyone noticed that V-Pure has changed a bit? I was just placing a new order and noticed that now instead of 90 capsules there are only 60. And they are recommending 2 a day instead of 3 a day. The amount of DHA has been increased but EPA decreased. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this. I need to order more but changes always throw me for a loop.

Do you keep your V-Pure refrigerated? I just noticed on the bottle that is says to but I never have. Maybe all this time I've been using ineffective/bad vpure.
    Grrrrr.
    Last edited by veganwitch; Mar 28th, 2009 at 09:09 PM. Reason: added more

I have put the latest ones in the fridge - like you I don't remember seeing that instruction on the ones I've ordered in the past.