Thread: Selenium: The Little Known Mineral

Default Selenium: The Little Known Mineral

From http://www.nutritionadvocate.com/story/selenium.html (T. Colin Campbell's site):

An excerpt:

In the China Project survey, low blood levels of selenium correlated, although nonsignificantly, with high levels of both stomach and esophageal cancers. And a National Cancer Institute study in Linxian Province showed a 13% decrease in all cancers for adults receiving a supplement with beta carotene, vitamin E, and selenium. But since the Linxian population has many nutritional deficiencies, the researchers caution that the benefits of such a supplement may not translate to well-nourished Western populations.

When it comes to heart disease, adequate selenium intake does appear to protect even "well-nourished" Westerners against atherosclerosis. Studies conducted in The Netherlands and in Poland showed that lower blood concentrations of selenium correlated with heart attacks.

Although it may be tempting to think the more selenium the better, it's wise to be cautious. Selenium is known to be toxic at not-so-high levels. For this reason, it's best to get selenium from your diet.

Your Best Sources of Selenium (in mcg)*

Brazil Nuts (1 cup) 144.0

Whole wheat flour (1 cup)77.4

Brown Rice (1 cup)77.2

Wheat bran (1 cup) 35.9

Whole wheat bread (1 slice) 15.5

Orange juice (1 cup) 14.9 *

quantity of selenium may vary substantially depending upon soil concentration

Default Re: Selenium: The Little Known Mineral

apparently it is lacking in our soil in Australia for whatever reason, and I've read that the best way to take it is by eating 4 brazil nuts a day - which I've done for quite some time. Apart from the benefit, they are quite delicious.
    Eve

This is one I must be getting plenty of. I eat Brazils frequently and I eat a ton of bread that claims to be loaded with it.

I eat a lot of brown rice and whole wheat, yay! I don't like brazil nuts and I'm allergic to citrus, sadly.
    Peace, love, and happiness.