Thread: Eat colors (flavonoids)! More antioxidants in colored vegetables

Default Eat colors (flavonoids)! More antioxidants in colored vegetables

http://www.nutritionadvocate.com/sto...ioxidants.html

Tracking Antioxidants in Rural China
    T. Colin Campbell, Ph.D.

In the China Study, total vegetable consumption was 315 grams/day (11.1 oz) compared to 181 grams/day (6.3 oz) in the US. We were able to get a pretty good idea of antioxidant vitamin status by comparing the relative percentages of colored vegetables and total fat in the rural Chinese diet versus the Western diet.

The reason we used colored vegetables for these calculations is that a brightly colored vegetable, as opposed to say a cauliflower or a potato, contains a much higher percentage of antioxidant vitamins. By contrast, the level of dietary fat roughly approximates the "oxidant burden," that is to say the body's level of oxidants. Oxidants, as may of us now know, are the culprits responsible for tissue degeneration and aging. Naturally, the higher the percentage of dietary fat, the greater will be the need for antioxidant vitamins to counteract damaging effects caused by the increase level of oxidants.

When the rural Chinese diet is compared with the average American diet, it would appear that some fairly serious course correction is needed. Namely, American need to eat more vegetables (lots of variety) and less total fat to help restore our antioxidant vitamin status to that of the Chinese. Antioxidant vitamin supplements provide only a very partial and uncertain way to accomplish this objective because whole foods contain a far greater variety of useful antioxidant vitamins. Moreover, use of supplements does not address our need to reduce our oxidant burden.

Default Re: Eat colors! More antioxidants in colored vegetables

awesome!

i guess my lunch today was good & rich in antioxidants... (among other yummy nutrients!)

the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

My favorite dish at my fave restaurant (Thai) has every color of veggie in it.

Mmm, I know where I'm going for lunch tomorrow.

vegan1969

I wonder if the length of time you cook your veggies (like in slow/long cooked stews vs/ quick saute) makes a difference in the potency of the antioxidents?

I like all the different colors too! Food should look pretty as well as be good for you shouldn't it???

More about eating colors here:

The Color of Health
    COLOR NUTRITION
    Flavenoids

Default Re: Eat colors (flavonoids)! More antioxidants in colored vegetables

That's why red grapes are better than green grapes!

so my stir-fry is good then - red cabbage (purple) red onion, garlic, spinach noodles, soy sauce, mushrooms (black if I can get them), green pepper, broccoli,
    red chilli, paprika, ginger, black pepper and a little parsley

quite the rainbow
    Last edited by bradders; Nov 16th, 2008 at 11:27 AM. Reason: typo

A perfect salad always includes these colors:

Mixed greens: A base of green and deep purple
    Red: peppers
    Orange: carrots
    Deep purple: Roasted Seaweed (or raw if you can find it)
    White: cucumbers
    Burgundy: beets

Top it all off with some soaked almonds and you're all set!

salad needs tomatoes too

Yes, definitely tomatoes! I'm spoiled though. They have to be organic and from the garden. Nothing like a Jersey tomato

If I get a salad at a restaurant I always say "no tomatoes" because the taste of non-organic sucks.

I like them all, grilled, fried, chopped or whole and eating them like an apple

Can you get them fresh from an organic garden?

When I was a little girl, I ate so many, fresh from the garden I got a rash on my stomach

not a chance, it's winter, it's britain and my balcony is exposed

Aww, that's what I figured!

I hope someday you'll get to try a tomato straight from the garden

we did grow them once when I was a kid, for a while we grew a lot of stuff, leaks, onions, spuds a plenty, strawberries carrots were a disaster though, had three apple trees...

That's terrific!

I'll never forget the apple and peach trees we had as a kid, but best of all, a fig tree!

figs! bleugh

we grew the tomatoes in our back yard in wigan but when we moved to Ireland we used to grow a lot of food out of necessity mainly, we also used to have a turf bog for fuel.

This inspires me to eat a lot of pretty colors.

I remember when we first grew tomatoes in the ground, and they were SO much yummy.

I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.