Thread: Animal testing..Insulin and medicines.

Default Animal testing..Insulin and medicines.

My brother is diabetic, as is my uncle.

My brother is on human insulin, which is orginally tested on animals.

My uncle is on animal insulin. He did, at one point, attempt to make the transition to human inslin but he had adverse effects and his health became endangered.

I have very split views about animal testing.

It is wrong if it is for cosmetic reasons.
    That is not okay, and i fail too see how companys can justify it (especially as huge, worldwide compaines like the Body Shop have demostrated that it is possible to make fantastic products which are not tested on animals)

Yet there is not always scope for medicines to be -not- tested on animals.
    (or at least, I have found no definate proof that any safe alternatives exsist)

If it were not for medicines my bother, myself, my uncle my best friend and many, many, many other people in this world would not be alive.

Does that jusitfy it?

In some labs it has been documented that the animals are -not- kept in horrfic conditions. (I would provide a source to back that statement up but I am afraid I cannot remeber, It was on a documentry I watched a few years ago, If i can unearth its source I will post it)

I sometimes feel like a hypocrite because I am vegan- and also attempt to adopt the lifestyle, (not leather shoes/vegan shampoo etc) yet i cannot say that I am agaisnt Vivisection if it is for medical reasons.

I don't agree with cruelty..and I do not think that humans are above naimals or are rights and health are more important...but without animal testing i would be dead..and so would many other people in the world.

Thoughts?

Bad Magic x
    All the bad magic she ever dared to imagine.

Default Re: Animal testing..Insulin and medicines.

There's a fair few threads on this subject already, such as this 3 page one. If you're having trouble getting the search to work then click advanced search and select titles only, show results as posts and select boolean not natural language.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Default Re: Animal testing..Insulin and medicines.

Thankyou! That is excatly the kind of post I was looking for. And thanks for the tips on searching, I will take it into account.
    All the bad magic she ever dared to imagine.