Thread: Suggestions for diabetic friendly food

Default Suggestions for diabetic friendly food

Hey, my boyfriend's father is diabetic and we're going there for Christmas this year. His parents are really sweet and supportive, this is the third year we'll have gone to their place and they've gone out of their way to make everything minus the turkey (obviously!) vegan.

I was planning on bringing this side dish I've made at home before that has maple syrup, white pepper, and squash (I can post the recipe later if anyone's interested-it's really good!). He seems to have his diabetes pretty under control, so I'm sure he'd be able to handle the maple syrup but I was thinking about using brown rice syrup to replace it. Has anyone used the brown rice syrup before? Does it have a distinctive taste? Is it significantly better than maple syrup on the glycemic scale or is it not worth it?

I'm going to bring some unsweetened soy milk for the mashed potatoes, etc. since I know that regular soy milk has a lot of sugar. Any other suggestions for things I can do?

Thanks!

Default Re: Suggestions for diabetic friendly food

I highly recommend Dr. McDougall. Here is his website with quite a bit of good resources. www.drmcdougall.com

Thanks for the reply! I actually had totally forgotten about the sugar free table syrup that we carried at the store I used to work at. I went and picked some up yesterday, so hopefully it will work out well in the recipe!

I did some more research after posting this and it seems that brown rice syrup is actually higher on the glycemic scale than maple syrup, so I'm glad I didn't go with that!

You're welcome, Val. And good luck with the recipe.