Thread: 1000 calorie workouts

prilly-pie

Default 1000 calorie workouts

YAY! I am starting the gym on Monday for every week day morning!
    I would like to know what it takes to have a 1000 calorie burned workout. - so how long on each piece of equiptment and at what pace. i want to plan my work out before i get there so i have something to aim for...
    i'm not new to working out, and if i couldnt manage a 1000 cal workout, iw ouldnt over push myself. its just a great number to aim for.

Please put all your suggestions from experience.. CALORIE BURNED CHARTS ARE SO DODGY>>> one says 20 mins of jogging is 120 cals.. another around 250! so.. bla

purlease help xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Default Re: 1000 calorie workouts

Hey Ladyaprille

Glad you are planning to go to the gym. Its great news. I don't want to demotivate you. But 1000 calorie workout is almost close to impossible for a starter. You will need to work out gradually as days go by. Also 1000 calorie work out is not healthy to start with. It all depends on how much you eat.

For weight loss, the thumb-rule is lose more calories than you eat. You can still lose weight by doing cardios for a short time. At the end of the day if you have burnt more calories than you have taken it, thats fine.
    I will tell you why 1000 calorie workout is slightly difficult. On the treadmill, if you run for about 30 mins at 10 miles per hour (which is quite difficult to do in one stretch), you will burn about 250 to 300 calories. You will be exhausted by the time you reach 1000 calories and hence is not realistic at this stage in my opinion.

Try to do cardios for about 30 to 45 mins and thats a good rate to achieve. Do the tread mill and rowing. Plus do some weight training.
    Let me know if you have any more queries.

Regards
    Kiran
    Life is like a boomerang: What goes around comes around - "Karma"rocks!

I usually aim to burn of 300-400 cals at the gym and do some weights.
    Dont over do it Lady A. I hope you are eating better these day as it isnt a good idea to go to gym if you are eating like you were a while ago.

Quote ladyaprille
    CALORIE BURNED CHARTS ARE SO DODGY>>> one says 20 mins of jogging is 120 cals.. another around 250! so.. bla
    I agree that a 1000 cal/workout would be kind of tough. One hour of high intensity elliptical for me always only got high 600s-700 cals. and an hour high intensity aerobics is generally estimated at 650ish I think.

As far as jogging/running/walking goes 100 cal per mile is the rule of thumb so it all depends on the distance you go in that about of time. Using that, 1000 cal workouts would be 10 miles - you could always break it up throughout the day for example doing a 5 mile run in the morning and a 5 mile run at night.
    "An outside enemy exists only if there is anger inside."
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

Congratulations on joining the gym.
    Ask the instructors at the gym. Thats's what they are paid for. They can also keep an eye on you and make sure you're not getting into difficulties. If your gym does not provide such a service its not a safe place to be.
    Recently a few people on the Great North Run, which is a popular annual run in the UK, collapsed on the run and died from heart attacks because they pushed themselves too hard.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

prilly-pie

whats an elliptical?
    ok- i get what ur saying - hmph - theres a 45 minute RPM class which is cycling to music - which i love the sound of.. then i wanted to do probably another hour after that of light cardio..

i suppose i thought i was possible bcos an hour at a kick boxing class my mate goes to burns 800 cals per hour...
    i didnt mean to worry anyone- puffin my eating is alot better now, and ive been given permission to go to the gym..

i just want to make the most of the time while im there and am paying.

lady aprille xxxxxxx

Quote ladyaprille
    i didnt mean to worry anyone- puffin my eating is alot better now, and ive been given permission to go to the gym..

i just want to make the most of the time while im there and am paying.

lady aprille xxxxxxx
    Glad to hear you are eating better
    I understand you want to make the most of the gym. I work in one and some people come in everyday. I believe you need to enjoy going and over doing it will make it chore and you will eventually stop going. I would suggest going in 3 to 4 times a week. Have a word with one of the personal trainers and they will give you program to fit your needs and you will see the benifits from doing it properly.

Yogini

Ditto on what most of the others have said. 1000 is a buttload of calories. I'm disabled, so I'm not the best barometer, but just for a frame of reference, I would have to do my normal exercise routine for 5 hours to burn that many calories.

Exercise is good. Wearing yourself out and injuring your body is not. Do be active, but also be good to yourself.

LittleNellColumbia

I am not sure how accurate those calorie things are on the machines...But, if I incline walk on a treadmill for about an hour on the highest incline, at a speed of 3.0 mph it comes close to 7 or 8 hundred. If you went a few minutes longer or just went a lot faster than I do, you could easily reach 1,000. 3.0mph is pretty slow, I often kick it up to 3.5 but I can't go much faster then that cause I hate running!

Happy workout - Don't over do it!

Quote ladyaprille
    whats an elliptical?
    I think you guys in the UK call it the "trainer". that is what someone from Northern Ireland filled me in on!

Yeah, 1000 in a go is a lot. I run for 30 mins on the treadmill at 10.5mph and that burns about 350 cals, i then do 30 on the croos trainer and thats about 400...but i go pretty fast and hard. I used to do rons of long distance running.

I hope you enjoy the gym, but do make sure you eat well.

Take care
    All the bad magic she ever dared to imagine.

Limey

It also depends on how much you weigh. The more you weigh, the more calories you will burn and as you lose weight (if this is what you want), you will burn fewer calories in your workouts.