Thread: Hollywood's Vegetarians

Post Hollywood's Vegetarians

not a really friendly article

from channels.netscape.com/celebrity/becksmith.jsp?p=bsf_vegging

Hollywood's Vegetarians
    By Emily Feimster

To eat meat or not to eat meat? That is the question. With celebrities always looking to slim down, it seems that more and more are jumping on the veggie bandwagon. While some are more fanatical than others, many agree that it has helped give them the extra energy needed to keep up with their jet-setting ways. So just who are these famous vegetarians? Well, grab a bag of carrots and see!
    One of Hollywood's most dedicated veggie lovers is Gwyneth Paltrow, who famously adheres to a macrobiotic diet. On her daughter Apple's first birthday, she did it up in style with a vegan buffet catered by Teany - the local eatery she co-owns with fellow vegan Moby. In fact, Gwyneth is so dedicated to eating healthy that it is rumored when she was directing the short film "Dealbreakers," she flipped out when she spotted a box full of Cup-A-Soup on the set. "I would rather die than let my kid eat Cup-A-Soup," she proclaimed dramatically. Boy, just think if it had real meat in it! Luckily for Gwynnie, her husband, Chris Martin of Coldplay, also steers clear of the carnivorous. In 2005, he was selected as the "World's Sexiest Vegetarian" by PETA, whose previous winners include Carrie Underwood, Andre 3000, Lauren Bush, and Tobey Maguire. "Being voted the world's sexiest vegetarian is about as cool as it gets," said Martin. "It's not quite as cool as Brad Pitt, but it'll do." He was joined this year by winners Kristen Bell of "Veronica Mars" and Prince.

Another singer who adheres to a strict vegetarian diet, is country music star Shania Twain. It is said that before and after every concert, she must stuff herself with fruits and vegetables of all types. Just don't give her any eggs! An insider reported that if the star has a pasta dinner it would be eggless dried angel-hair pasta and for dessert it would be eggless cobblers or cakes as well as a dozen eggless cookies and a dozen eggless muffins.

Vegetarian and environmentalist Daryl Hannah loves the veggies so much that she'll do anything to protect them. She and 40 others were recently arrested after protesting against a landowner who evicted people from an urban community garden to make room for a warehouse. Hannah climbed into a walnut tree, but authorities cut away branches and used a fire truck to bring down the "Splash" actress, who raised her fist as she was removed. Talk about dedication!
    For many of our favorite vegetarians, their decision to give up meat came after witnessing some form of animal cruelty. Natalie Portman became a vegetarian at age eight when she witnessed doctors demonstrating laser surgery on a chicken while at a medical conference with her father. Joaquin Phoenix got into hardcore veganism as a four year old after witnessing live fish getting walloped over the head for lunch. And Josh Hartnett gave up meat when he was twelve due to a mishap when cutting a chicken. Um, yeah, that's gross.
    We can see where Buddhist Richard Gere's vegetarian principles come from. The spiritual actor can't even bring himself to kill an insect. A similar belief is held by animal-lover Alicia Silverstone, who said she went from a "steak and doughnut" diet several years ago to pure veganism. "Nothing's changed my life more. I feel better about myself as a person, being conscious and responsible for my actions and I lost weight and my skin cleared up and I got bright eyes and I just became stronger and healthier and happier," she said. "I can't think of anything better in the world to be but vegan." Well, that might be pushing it, but we're happy to at least hear her skin is glowing.
    Heck, even ex-"Baywatch" babe Pamela Anderson has proven she's more than just a sexy body by taking on the mighty KFC, accusing the franchise of abusing chickens and urging customers to boycott the fast-food chain. Anderson told reporters, "Every time we go by KFC, my kids ask me to honk and they yell 'Boo' out the window."
    Other vegetarians and animal activists include Alyssa Milano, Kim Basinger, Penelope Cruz, who changed her diet after filming "All the Pretty Horses," Ashley Judd, and Nicollette Sheridan, who believes that any life, big or small, deserves the right to survive.
    Then there are those folks who just feel it's better for your health. David Duchovny combines his strict vegetarian diet with hours of yoga and countless games of basketball. He also participates in triathlons along with his vegan wife Tea Leoni.
    Having first gotten into vegetarianism through his late wife Linda, Paul McCartney continues to encourage more people to go veggie. "There's now a whole heap of science to show that vegetarians and vegans are healthier and live longer," he stated.
    Well, he could be right. Just take a look at 82-year-old Bob Barker of "The Price Is Right' fame. "I think there's a strong possibility, had I not become a vegetarian, I would not be working now. I became a vegetarian about 25 years ago, and I did it out of concern for animals. But I immediately began having more energy and feeling better." Now he's got such folks as Ellen DeGeneres, Simon Cowell, Mos Def, Lenny Kravitz, Woody Harrelson, and Angela Bassett following in his footsteps. So not only are allof these celebrities rich and famous, but apparently they're now also immortal. Well, good for them.
    “People stumble over the truth from time to time, but most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.”

Default Re: Hollywood's Vegetarians

i didnt realise so many celebs were vegan. i knew loads were veggie... for eg. Joaquin Phoenix and Alicia Silverstone..did not know they were vegan.

Ellen DeGeneres isn't vegetarian. She was interviewing Alicia Silverstone on her show and they were talking about Alicia's veganism, and Ellen made a comment about how she needed a burger/steak or something.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

I'm pretty sure she is... for instance:
    Ellen (at a PETA event, '00): Hi, my name is Ellen and I'm a vegetarian. Just to add another label to me. (everyone laughs) I'm a lesbian, Aquarian, vegetarian. (everyone laughs) There, I said it. I love animals, not in that way-- (everyone laughs)

Her steak quip could've just been humor... then again, pehaps she went back to being pro animal slaughter.

I think she did.

But who knows?

EDIT: I was watching some recent stand up comedy and she makes fun of her "meat breath". So I think she eats meat.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

little late here.. but yeah i was watching her show the other day and they had a chef (can't remember who now..) on making some dishes, one of which contained meat, and im sure she tasted it.

well....he's just veggie, but he's still yummy...

who is he ^^?
    the face is familiar but i can't pinpoint the name..
    Piggy

anthony from the red hot chillis!!!

Not just Anthony (Kiedis) he IS GOD
    here comes the sun

By the way (no pun intended) he is apparently no longer veggie . Don't know for absolutely sure though.... I think he was veggie predominantly to help his recovery from addictions.
    here comes the sun

Somebody make my day by telling me he is veggie please
    here comes the sun

I was under the impression that an american vegetarian is usually the same as a vegan european (an english-teacher once told me so). But then why have the term vegan? Can anyone enlighten me?

Vegan means VEGAN everywhere.
    "Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends". ~ George Bernhard Shaw.

Years ago my sister went to a Red Hot Chilli's concert and at the after party, Anthony came up to her and told her she was beautiful and kissed her on the cheek! At least that is what she said....!

Quote Felece View Post
    I was under the impression that an american vegetarian is usually the same as a vegan european (an english-teacher once told me so). But then why have the term vegan? Can anyone enlighten me?
    I don't think so.... in my experience in the states, things i considered 'vegetarian', i was told were considered vegan; for example, no animal-rennet cheese, avoiding gelatin(e) etc. a lot of american vegetarians i met just avoided out-and-out meat. which i kind of thought was weird.

oh, and re: the kiedis thing. i think he was actually, dietarily at least, vegan for while. i read some interview where they were talking about him grinding cashew nuts to make milk, but said that he was 'back to normal' now <insert roll eyes here>

amanda

Quote flying plum View Post
    i read some interview where they were talking about him grinding cashew nuts to make milk, but said that he was 'back to normal' now

I think I'd prefer him "abnormal"
    here comes the sun

Quote cedarblue View Post
    well....he's just veggie, but he's still yummy...

And very tiny. I was in a queue with him for The Troubador in LA and even with HUGE stack heels he came up to my chin and I'm quite little.
    Bless.

Stop it, stop it, stop it!!!
    You're ruining my life Horselesspaul!
    Let me dream and be happy....
    here comes the sun

Anthony Kiedis is going to marry me and we're going to live happily ever after
    here comes the sun

Sorry Ginger. He is who he is and is as tall as he may be.
    Perhaps I was a little too glad that he's significantly shorter than me and miffed that they asked me for ID (I'm in my early 40's) and not him (Don't you know who I AM?).

Peas,

Paul.

Alicia Siverstone for me please even though she's not really my 'type'...

He's cute but he's not Johnny Depp, who will be converted to veganism as soon as I find him!
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Quote RedWellies View Post
    He's cute but he's not Johnny Depp, who will be converted to veganism as soon as I find him!
    If he knows what's good for him.

I use to see Kiedis all the time in this little vegan restaurant I use to go to in Hollywood. Lately I have been seeing him at this macrobiotic cafe, also in Hollywood. The restaurant is for the most part vegan, except that they do serve small amounts of fish in a few menu items. (Fish is the only non-vegan ingredient in the whole restaurant). I see lots of other vegan people eating there, celebs included. I do not recall what Anthony Kiedis ordered those times I have seen him there, but in Hollywood this place is considered a vegan hot spot.

Quote Ginger View Post
    Anthony Kiedis is going to marry me and we're going to live happily ever after
    I am afraid he is already married to me. I thought he was vegetarian too but it may be that he just 'eats healthily' following his recovery from drug addiction. I am pretty sure he doesn't drink alcohol too?

Joaquin Phoenix is the only real Hollywood vegan I know of - and his whole family are vegans. Alicia Silverstone eats a vegan diet, but I am sure she still wears leather etc. The rest of the celebs I think are just veggie - although I am not sure about the Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin - they might be like Alicia Silverstone - eating the diet but still using the products?
    "Only after the last tree has been cut down,the last fish caught [and] the last river poisoned;only then will you realise that money cannot be eaten"

Quote Holly78 View Post
    Joaquin Phoenix is the only real Hollywood vegan I know of - and his whole family are vegans. Alicia Silverstone eats a vegan diet, but I am sure she still wears leather etc. The rest of the celebs I think are just veggie - although I am not sure about the Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin - they might be like Alicia Silverstone - eating the diet but still using the products?

Alicia Silverstone is quite the vegan. My brother knows her, and she once went through his cupboards and pulled out items made by companies that test on animals. I know it's a weird story, but that's how I remember him telling it to me. As for other Hollywood types, if you go to a hip vegan restaurant in LA, you are very likely to see some celebs dining in. I doubt all of them are vegan, but I'm sure they all liked the food.

Ed Begley Jr. should be on that list, as he is probably the most passionate about it of everyone (not just in Hollywood).

Quote Fifty9 View Post
    Alicia Silverstone is quite the vegan. My brother knows her, and she once went through his cupboards and pulled out items made by companies that test on animals. I know it's a weird story, but that's how I remember him telling it to me.
    OK - I stand corrected! I am pretty sure there are many celebs eating vegan food because they like it (and who can blame them! ) but whether they are actual vegans is another matter of course, as you say.
    "Only after the last tree has been cut down,the last fish caught [and] the last river poisoned;only then will you realise that money cannot be eaten"

I saw Gwyneth Paltrow cooking miso fish on Oprah, so I don't think it's true that she's a vegan.

It says she's macrobiotic, so they usually include small amounts of fish with some of their meals. The writer probably doesn't know the difference.

Kevster

Alicia Silverstone has a myspace page, so i've just happened to notice.

I've seen Tobey Maguire at the vegan restaurant Real Food Daily in West Hollywood. He's vegan.
    "Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends". ~ George Bernhard Shaw.

just seen an d where gwyneth paltro was eating prawns..anyone else see this?

In her newsletter, GOOP (which is brilliantly and endlessly pilloried by www.jezebel.com), Ms Paltrow is into turkeys, leather and silk.

I'm pretty sure that simon cowell isn't even veggie, considering he was munching on mcdonalds all the way through this years x factor.