View Poll Results: What do you use instead of animals milk - if you use a replacement?

Voters
413. You may not vote on this poll
  • Soya milk

159 38.50%
  • Sweetened soya milk

77 18.64%
  • Almond milk

43 10.41%
  • Hazelnut milk

5 1.21%
  • Rice milk

43 10.41%
  • Quinoa drink

1 0.24%
  • Oat drink

24 5.81%
  • Other

12 2.91%
  • Combinations (ie. rice + soy milk)

33 7.99%
  • I don't feel a need to replace animals milk with something else

16 3.87%
  • Added June 2011: Sunflower milk

0 0%
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite vegan milk alternatives

Default Favorite vegan milk alternatives

So what do you use instead of that animal secretion ?

I don't use anything instead of it, because it's not necessary to use cow milk in the first place.

If I have a recipe that calls for soymilk, I will use soymilk, rice milk, or oat milk, but this is definitely not instead of cow pus, considering the recipe was vegan and well-thought-out to begin with.
    utopiankitchen.wordpress.com

Go Artichoke!!!
    I agree...however, I do use rice milk on my cereal and sometimes I crave yoghurt or ice cream- so I will eat a tub of soy yoghurt or vegan ice cream. I will not touch vegan cheese. That stuff is wrong on so many levels!

I agree its not necessary to use cows milk, goats milk, gnats milk.... but alternatives to using dairy can't be a new thing surely.

I've tried all the above, but my favourite is Plamil White Sun, sunflower oil with pea protein and apple. www.plamilfoods.co.uk

Quote Banana
    I will not touch vegan cheese. That stuff is wrong on so many levels!
    Is that because of taste, non-melting, texture, smell? Is there something evil about vegan chese I do not know?

Quote gertvegan
    So what do you use instead of that animal secretion ?
    Depends.

If I'm drinking it by the glass, I'll go with Chocolate Silk or Chocolate Vitasoy.

If I'm cooking with it, which I rarely do, then I go with unflavoured silk.

Cereal, I eat dry out of the bowl. Rarely ever will I have the traditional "cereal and milk".

Yogurt and ice cream only in the form of WholeSoy and Soy Decadance - chocolate almond flavour.

I view vegan cheese much the same way you do, banana. That stuff is dead nasty and wrong on so many levels.

I didn't like milk much when I was an omni--I thought it tasted funny when I was younger, and developed lactose intolerance later on. Now that I'm vegan, though, I use "milk" more, though I use the derivatives (soy cheese, soy ice cream) less. I've tested several varieties.

My favorite so far: Almond Breeze. I've just discovered the joy that is almond milk, and drink it and use it on my cereal.

I used to like 8th Continent lite soymilk, but stopped using it since it contains sucralose (and I got sick on it). Blech. Ruin a good thing.

Rice milk's not terribly bad but I found it tasted odd in anything besides rice cereal. I've never had oat/quinoa/grain/hazelnut milk, but I'd like to try them.

If I'm cooking something that requires bland milk, it's Vitasoy lite. If I want chocolate milk, I sometimes will have Silk, but I don't like too much of anything that calorie-dense, and I'm not a big chocolate milk fanatic anyway. I'd try the choco Almond Breeze if I could find it. I've had Silk (I think) soy chai, which wasn't bad.

I haven't found a good vegan cheese yet. Why are you all so opposed to it?

I have tried and liked Soy Dream, Soy Delicious, and Tofutti. I'm going to try the rice stuff next. It's a nice once-in-a-while treat. But no soy yogurt for me--ick ick! It's hardly any better tasting than the "real" thing.

i never liked cow's milk much either and started removing it from my diet years before i went totally vegan (i suspected i had a slight allergy to it as well).

i couldn't eat dry cereal - hack! hack! cough! gotta have some sort of liquid on my muesli
    i used to use calcium enriched Rice Dream on my cereal, i liked it a lot, but it tasted bad in tea and coffee, so i used soya milk for that. i realised it was wasteful and expensive to keep buying all these cartons so bought a soya milk-making machine. now i make my own and use that both on cereal and in tea/coffee (not that i drink them much anymore, though). i sweeten my milk while making it with agave syrup or apple juice concentrate, as it's too bitter without it. i add a liquid calcium and magnesium supplement to it as well. the machine can also make other plant milks, so i'm going to try making my own rice milk and nut milk too (when i have time!).

i have tried White Sun, didn't like it at all though. i have also tried Tiger White, which is a new milk made from the roots of sedge plants. interesting idea, but i wasn't too impressed with that one either.

i like some flavoured soya milks such as Alpro who do a lovely chocolate milk. i sometimes buy their yogurt, they do a good plain one that i use with curry, or in place of sour cream with chilli, nachos etc. they also do a few good fruit flavour ones which make a nice dessert occasionally.

as far as vegan cheese goes, i thought i'd be dying for a good cheese substitute as i used to love cheese, but i've been vegan for a year now and i don't really need it after all. i realised that after a few months of trying horrible vegan cheeses, it wasn't worth it and it's perfectly possible to live without cheese i don't mind Tofutti cream cheese, but i don't think it's very healthy - heavily processed and made with hydrogenated oils i think. i only use it rarely - the plain one makes a good chocolate cheesecake the melting Cheezely is ok on pizza, but it's so expensive i'll still make my own 'naked' pizzas most of the time i think!

I believe 8th Continent is the only non-vegan soymilk. It has Vitamin D3 in it.

i alternately liked the taste of milk and was completely icked by it when i was a nonvegan (ick won out eventually...). now i drink ZenSoy vanilla, although it can be really hard to find. my brother (who prefers Silk) complains that it's way too sweet. but i think that's why i like it! yum.

the plain Zen is also very good and neutral enough to cook/bake with.

i can't bring myself to eat vegan cheese. it's so expensive and looks naaaasty. but i love, love, love Silk cultured soy ("yogurt").

Quote Gorilla
    i don't mind Tofutti cream cheese, but i don't think it's very healthy - heavily processed and made with hydrogenated oils i think.
    I love Tofutti - they now make their cream cheese without the hydrogenation. I take it with me when I eat breakfast out to put on bagels or toast occasionally. the Vegetable flavored kind also makes a great chip dip. Especially on the plain sun chips.
    I stand behind my veganrella cheese I found in Austin. It melts well, just needs a little salt for melting though as it's sorta bland that way...and is great on pizza. It wasn't all that expensive either! Sorry all - I need cheese on somethings and I love a grilled cheese with tomato soup when I am feeling sick. That veganrella is awsome. There is a cheese I found on a UK site...don't remember the name of the company, and a lot of people rave about it. Only available over there though...
    And I use Silk...sometimes I buy the Enhanced one..as it has omegas and anitoxidants in it as well. I need all the help i can get

~Mel

Thumbs up Provamel!

I use provamel (alpro) soy milk and love their vanilla desserts! I found a yummy grated "cheese" called veggie shreds, company unknown. I use it in place of sliced "cheese" and it melts beutifully! all the other "cheeses" are icky, I dislike it immensly. provamel has the most beutiful soy brands, I reccomend it to everyone!

p.s. about the milk not needing to be substituted, I actually just like the taste of soy milk, so I drink it because it has vitamins I need. I also recently found a great vitamin b12 supplement I can use, now I don't need to worry about that!
    People once thought my mother is a nut, but I once thought a nut was my mother! :D

Hmm...I thought veggie shreds had casien in it...you may have a differnet brand than what is available here...
    ~Mel
    ~Mel

"Sweet songs the youth, the wise, the meaning of all wisdom...to believe in the good in man" - Legend

Unhappy :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Quote assilembob
    Hmm...I thought veggie shreds had casien in it...you may have a differnet brand than what is available here...
    ~Mel

...shitttt..... fack. oh, NO!!!

forgive me my ignorance, not only that, but the other flavour I tried has... DRIED SKIMMED MILK PROTEIN!!!

...I'm going to die...

damn. this sucks. From now on my eyes will be WIDE open, this sucks!
    People once thought my mother is a nut, but I once thought a nut was my mother! :D

p.s. I don't know many of the english ingredient thingies, never new casein was un-vegan!

I'm going to cry.

i dont have different milks for different uses - just sweetened soy for everything. like gorilla i bought a soymilk maker too and am experimenting with that too, made a lovely almond milk in it for over my cereal.

btw gorilla, what sort of quantity of apple concentrate do you use for 1 1/2litres of soy milk ? does it REALLY take that bitter taste away?

bought a packet mix 'cheese' spread thingy from veganstore at the uk veganfest in july, you add boiling water to the powder and it makes a kind of cheese spread filling for sandwiches etc....my verdict???

caaaaack!!!

Unsweeteded Soy milk for me. but not that often cause when i buy a quart it is gone in fifteen minutes between me and my boyfriend........................ but i don't use it to "replace" milk. i Never drank that junk, even when i was a kid and scarfing down other non-veggie things.

cedar, i buy bottles of Biona apple juice concentrate, and i use about four tablespoons for each batch (approx. 1 litre) of soya milk. it's expensive, but i just don't like the bitterness of unsweetened soya milk. i've tried different sweeteners like agave syrup as well but apple concentrate seems to be the best and cheapest.

Don't worry l337. It was an honest mistake so don't beat yourself up about it. I have been vegan for 9 months now and from time to time still make mistakes. For example, I was eating the Subway veggie patty on wholewheat bread thinking they were both vegan. Well, thanks to this site, I found out that they WEREN'T. I was angry at myself but it's not like I did it deliberately. Oh well, you learn, you move on.

Cedar, I tried a packet cheese mix like that too. It was called Chreese. It was disgusting!!

twas the same mix i think roxy - UGH!

Question 8th Continent

Quote Artichoke47
    I believe 8th Continent is the only non-vegan soymilk. It has Vitamin D3 in it.
    8th Continent isn't VEGAN??!! What's D3 have that's not vegan? I used to drink that stuff thinking it was just soymilk!!!

vitamin D3 comes from all sorts of animal sources, some people say it can be made synthetically but i haven't heard anything conclusive. the Vegan Society doesn't seem to believe it can be synthetic. read this: http://www.vegansociety.com/html/foo...n/vitaminD.php
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

wuggy

I try to only buy anything with a large label on it 'suitable for vegans', it saves the worry and endless small print reading!!

yes Wuggy that's usually a good way to tell if it's vegan and if it's approved by the Vegan Society then even better. unfortunately though i have heard of products that were labelled as vegan but weren't - because the company who made them didn't consider certain ingredients to be 'animal products' e.g. bee products. also i read on a forum somewhere (thought it was this one, but can't find it) that an American brand of soy milk says it's vegan but contains D3, but as i said before this is one of those things where it may or may not be a vegan/synthetic D3.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

ConsciousCuisine

Trader Joe's Strawberry Soymilk is NOY Vegan either. It has Carmine in it...

I think it's been confirmed before that 8th Continent uses animal-sourced D3.

Quote wuggy
    I try to only buy anything with a large label on it 'suitable for vegans', it saves the worry and endless small print reading!!
    I try to do that too (though I still read the label). A new grocery store near me contacted companies like Amy's, Boca, etc. and they label products throughout the store as vegan, organic, gluten-free, etc right next to the price! It is VERY convenient and I feel a step in the right direction since this is at a conventional grocery store (Pick-n-Save).

<< I have been vegan for 9 months now and from time to time still make mistakes. For example, I was eating the Subway veggie patty on wholewheat bread thinking they were both vegan. Well, thanks to this site, I found out that they WEREN'T. >>

Roxy, I know this is an old post, but I thought I'd give an FYI. According to "The Veg. Resource Group" Subways white bread is vegan and so is their Italian dressing. I love a veggie sub, super loaded on white bread with dressing. Also, I went on Taco Bell binges occasionally before I went vegan and am happy to report that (according to the same group) I am allowed 7 layer burritos (no cheese or sour cream) and spanish rice (no cheese because it's unvegan, no green onions because they're nasty.) Healthy, no. Tasty at 1 a.m., yes.

HERES a "Guide to Non-Dairy "Milks" by Reed Mangels, PhD, RD found on vrg.org . Whilst some of the info may be of use, it is from 2001, and may also be of more use to the US members over others. Hope it helps anyway.

Quote assilembob
    I love Tofutti - they now make their cream cheese without the hydrogenation. I take it with me when I eat breakfast out to put on bagels or toast occasionally. the Vegetable flavored kind also makes a great chip dip. Especially on the plain sun chips.
    I stand behind my veganrella cheese I found in Austin. It melts well, just needs a little salt for melting though as it's sorta bland that way...and is great on pizza. It wasn't all that expensive either! Sorry all - I need cheese on somethings and I love a grilled cheese with tomato soup when I am feeling sick. That veganrella is awsome. There is a cheese I found on a UK site...don't remember the name of the company, and a lot of people rave about it. Only available over there though...
    And I use Silk...sometimes I buy the Enhanced one..as it has omegas and anitoxidants in it as well. I need all the help i can get

~Mel
    I'm with you, assilembob....I love cheese...I haven't found a really good one yet. I've heard that Vegan Gourmet Cheese by Follow Your Heart is fantastic cheese, but my health food store doesn't carry it yet. I love grilled cheese sandwiches with tomato soup, too. I've tried Veganrella cheese, but I didn't like it. Maybe it's improved now.....I drink Silk soymilk....chocolate and plain. I have to have milk with my cookies...hahaha....I don't miss cow's milk, though.....When I found out it had pus in it, that did it......Of course, I was vegan anyway, and didn't drink it when I found out, but I still think of the years when I did....yuck.....

Yeah, every time I see cow's milk, I am so grossed out by it. There is this commercial where a kid sticks her arm in cow's milk while dipping her cookie in it. I'm surprised that the arm doesn't disintegrate in that pus, hormone-laden crap that humans take from cows. Yuck.

Anyway, I don't like Vegan Gourmet. It was oily and tasted like tofu.

Quote Artichoke47
    Anyway, I don't like Vegan Gourmet. It was oily and tasted like tofu.
    Yep, that's what I thought, too. When I shredded it to top a pizza, it was all wet and slippery. It didn't melt at all. Ick.
    -JK

I had a boyfriend who always wanted to put Tofutti or Vegan Gourmet on pizza. I didn't like either; both are oily, but Tofutti is worse as far as oil, better as far as taste.

I have to say - I love soy milk I have been drinking it for about fifteen years now - even before I became vego. I guess I felt the need to replace 'milk' but as a food it is really good nutritionally and far better than cows or any other. It gets a bit confusing when you share with cow milk drinkers and have assorted friends that come over for a cuppa - "moo or bean in your tea?"...
    Giving up cheese when I became vegan was possibly the thing that I missed most - when I wasn't thinking of where it comes from. But five years on I don't think about it anymore.
    The day that someone makes a salty fat and protein mix that is vegetable source and melts under the grill....well... I will be tempted

BTW, for those newish vegans don't guilt trip yourselves about the odd error. Veganism is about intent and we intend on doing what we can in avoiding as much as we can - but accidents happen. Some are worse than others (that piece of artichoke on the end of my fork was chicken but I didn't realise it till it was in my mouth...not a happy fellow!) Sometimes eating out can really suck.
    "if compassion is extreme, then call me an extremist"

Even when still a cheesehead I'd avoid milk, ice cream, etc., since it is terribly phlegmatic, constipating, and causes tartar to accumulate everywhere. It also causes bad breath. You eat that ice cream and the mucous rises up from the gullet for hours.

I'm trying to cut back on the soy. I think I go overboard with soymilk at breakfast, something soy-based at lunch oftentimes, and also frequently something with soy at dinner (I try to change up my veggie "meats" so that this doesn't happen on the same day), then either cookies and soy milk as a late-night snack, or soy cream...

So, maybe I will eventually get used to rice milk or almond milk for my cereal... Or at least eat more waffles, bagels, and/or oatmeal for breakfast instead of being so lazy and always eating cereal...

I only really use it when I make food and right now its soymilk but when I move it will change to rice milk.
    "Its bad karma to fuck with the stoned"- Hunter S. Thompson, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas Comentary (found on criterion collection)

I use soy milk for cooking when I have to. I don't eat yougert, cheese, Ice cream or milk just plain, didn't before I was vegan, so I feel no need now. For cereal I love putting juice instead of milk, genaric cheerios with orange juice, with bannanas and strawberrys on top that is my favorite breakfast.

Default Re: Moo juice? No thanks. So whats your flavour ?

I started off with soya milk. Then I discovered I prefered rice milk on cereal. I don't use milk for much else so I've recently stopped buying soya and use rice milk for everything now. I tried oat milk, it was okay on porridge but I wouldn't buy it specially. I'll have to try almond milk. I sounds nice, maybe for milkshakes.
    "He who binds himself to a Joy, Does the winged life destroy;
    He who kisses the Joy as it flies, Lives in Eternity's sunrise"
    William Blake

That's good to know about 8th Continent. Actually I absoluetly despised that one. It just tastes bad IMHO. I like vanilla light soy milk. The taste of cow's milk is a distant memory for me. It was actually the dairy industry that put me over the edge, and I knew that I could never contribute to that sick sick sick industry.

Seaside

I love almond and hazelnut milks from Pacific Foods.

Default Re: New Veggie.

Almond milk is SO yummy! I didn't think I'd be able to stay vegan unless I could find something decent to put on my cereal (I'm a cereal junky, and I can't get used to the taste of soymilk). But then I discovered almond milk. If I put it on sweet cereal (like some Nature's path varieties), it tastes EXACTLY like I remember it tasting before. Almond milk is a miracle! Oh and rice milk's pretty good too, but I prefer my Almond Breeze. Good luck on your path to veganism! I'd say you're nearly there.
    "Man can do as he wills, but not will as he wills" - Arthur Schopenhauer

Quote Yoggy
    Almond milk is SO yummy! I didn't think I'd be able to stay vegan unless I could find something decent to put on my cereal (I'm a cereal junky, and I can't get used to the taste of soymilk). But then I discovered almond milk. If I put it on sweet cereal (like some Nature's path varieties), it tastes EXACTLY like I remember it tasting before. Almond milk is a miracle! Oh and rice milk's pretty good too, but I prefer my Almond Breeze. Good luck on your path to veganism! I'd say you're nearly there.

Can you tell me where I can find Almond milk at?... i suppose Whole Foods (thats my veggie store) would have it...

and regular soy milk taste like liquid cornflakes...so I really dont like that taste to much unless it is the chocolate kind of soy milk

ConsciousCuisine

If you have almonds and water you can make it yourself. In fact you can make any nut or seed into milk!

On the Coast

You'll definately find it at your local Whole Foods, and if for some reason they do'nt carry it, they can stock it for you.

Quote Tangerine
    Can you tell me where I can find Almond milk at?... i suppose Whole Foods (thats my veggie store) would have it...

and regular soy milk taste like liquid cornflakes...so I really dont like that taste to much unless it is the chocolate kind of soy milk
    You will find it in the aisle with the unrefridgerated soy milk. If you have a Whole Foods then you'll probably find several brands. You will also find it at Trader Joe's (sounds like you're in the states) and some of the larger grocery stores that now have "Natural Foods" sections.

After a few months of omitting dairy from your diet you might be horrified that you ever drank it in the first place! There are some great websites like Milksucks.com that can certainly help strengthen your resolve.

Good luck. Remember that many members of the forum grew up as omnis and had dairy every day - so you can do it too!
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Stu

Quote coconut
    I've been vegan a year and have never tried almond milk.
    Heh, I've been a vegan for ten years and I haven't tried it either!

I had a recipe for making almond milk at home. It was fun to make, and it was beautifully white. But I thought the taste was really bad! I guess it just depends on the recipe.

I find the same true with soy milk. I only like the Silk milks. And I make sure I get it from the cold section -- not warm on the self. It tastes different to me.

Quote Stu
    Heh, I've been a vegan for ten years and I haven't tried it either!
    Never seen it myself
    Welcome to the forum Tangerine